Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC (13661 Views)

Can She Qualify For NYSC Exemption Certificate Or Must She Do NYSC? / Best Companies To Do Nysc With: / Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 4:50pm On Mar 10, 2011
hydroking23:

Born in Chicago, raised in California and upstate New york (orange county), Graduated from DePaul University in Chicago. Dad is from Rivers State,

I have a friend from Chicago called Wale, nice dude! i met him while finishing
my Secondary School in Naija. He was a ladies man in school ! Funny guy.!!!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by hydroking23(m): 5:05pm On Mar 10, 2011
Personally, I grew up 100% American in my upbringing seeing I lived with my mom (African American) most my life. It wasn't until I started living with my dad (Nigerian) that I really learned and understood anything that had to do with my Nigerian background. After coming to visit Nigeria a few times I found felt as if I could relate better with other Nigerians who were born and bred in 9ja or others that were like me "half & half". grin grin

Plus I found out that I got a little more respect from my fellow 9ja peeps who were born and bred there when they knew I had been "home" a few times despite spending all my life in the states. One thing is for sure the culture shock is something else,
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chic2pimp(m): 6:29pm On Mar 10, 2011
martinosi:

Some Nigerian Immigrants when i first meet them
try and play the Superior Card when they detect my accent, but when
i allow them to give me the ear of so called Naija "Custom" and "culture",
and play along with them, then i drop the bomb of them by speaking Pigdin
and then speaking in ibo, then they say ah ah!! so u have lived in Naija, why
did you not tell me!!! and they then drop all the "frontin" & "Superior Posing" and what to be my good friend!!! Then they tell you their inner whahala, and
you know how the story goes lol!!!

Funny but true. Same thing happened to yours truly.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 7:20pm On Mar 10, 2011
martinosi:

Hmm interesting one that (Looking at myself) as i kind of fall into that
category.Well i would just call it "Half-Half" lol!!!
It a good spot to be in i suppose as i can understand both sides of the fence
and i can relate to both the American-Nigerians and the Nigerian Immigrants.

It also makes both sides ie the Nigerian American side & Nigerian Immigrant Side
to be bluntly open with me and i think my friendship with
my Nigerian_American friends who never lived in Nigeria is
stronger than before.

Some Nigerian Immigrants when i first meet them
try and play the Superior Card when they detect my accent, but when
i allow them to give me the ear of so called Naija "Custom" and "culture",
and play along with them, then i drop the bomb of them by speaking Pigdin
and then speaking in ibo, then they say ah ah!! so u have lived in Naija, why
did you not tell me!!! and they then drop all the "frontin" & "Superior Posing" and what to be my good friend!!! Then they tell you their inner whahala, and
you know how the story goes lol!!!

Sure lol. To me it is either you are american or nigerian nothing like nigerian-american in my context well unless biologically through parents. If your parents are both nigerians, biologically I see you as a nigerian if mixed then nigerian-american or whatever breed. On social aspects in america if both parents are nigerians and you can flow streetwise/street-smart then I definitely see you as an american. I think americanism is more of social aspects of it than the biological aspect. What do you think?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 7:31pm On Mar 10, 2011
lol @ hydroking "culture shock"
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 7:37pm On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

Sure lol. To me it is either you are american or nigerian nothing like nigerian-american in my context well unless biologically through parents. If your parents are both nigerians, biologically I see you as a nigerian if mixed then nigerian-american or whatever breed. On social aspects in america if both parents are nigerians and you can flow streetwise/street-smart then I definitely see you as an american. I think americanism is more of social aspects of it than the biological aspect. What do you think?

CO-SIGN, Americanism is the social aspect, its der spirit,
If you are born and raised in America and you are Black, you
should naturally exude the African-American Vibe,
If you are Born and raised in Nigeria you should have that 9JA Vibe
even if you later come to the states.

It more of what i call B.I.T

You can learn things by

B - Birth

I - Impartation

T - Training

Americanism comes really by Birth & Impartation,

Training to adapt Amercanism via the American Media while living in
a foriegn country is really not it!, kind of like faking it,

But i guess some people have that vibe,

I met this girl in Nigeria who was a daughter of a navy official, she
spoke with an american accent and had never lived in america!!! no bullsh**t
it was so natural and i asked the Dad and he said that how his daughter
voice has been since birth, she was an Isoko girl, Damm that blew me away
and she could sing too lawwd, she had a texas droll lol! the
parents thought something was wrong with her when she was growing up
becuase of her voice, trust 9ja now! but later they just accepted it,
i still communicate with her, she is a very nice lady,
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 7:56pm On Mar 10, 2011
martinosi:

Training to adapt Amercanism via the American Media while living in
a foriegn country is really not it!, kind of like faking it,

Nicely said. but I wonder why some Nigerians have lived in america since 18 years of age and they can't change, not only africans some europeans as well and asians. A thing I have noticed about biological americans they like it when you speak like them they usually give you this full trust and no questions asked.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by jude33084(m): 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2011
all of una nor get WORK cool
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 12:01am On Mar 11, 2011
jude33084:

na u sabi
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 12:16am On Mar 11, 2011
jude33084:

I knooow --- over analyzing the matters. NLd is very dry these days --- so little things overexcite folks.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by lagcity(m): 4:44am On Mar 11, 2011
guys abeg help me out. what is the upper age limit to serve in nysc?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by jason2010(m): 6:01am On Mar 11, 2011
@Lagcity

It depends on how old you were when you obtained your first degree. Sky is the limit if at the time of your graduation you were less than 30 years old. For instance, if your current age is 60 years old, and at the time you graduated with your first degree, you were not up to 30 years, then you must do the NYSC. However, if you were >=30 at the time of your graduation, then you are exempt
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 6:17am On Mar 11, 2011
to the person who asked (martinosi), as i said in the original post, i was born in u.s. and did ALL OF MY SCHOOLING incuding university here. in terms of your "advice", if you mean you want to give your opinion on if i should even go, its not necessary. thats not what this thread is for, my mind is already made up. but thanks a lot, some ppl dont know what they r getting into.

the thread is solely for finding out if i need to be naturalized, which i found out already.

to whoever else asked, i was on 2 month holiday when i stayed on my own. the other times were vacation. i am answering solely for those interested, not for anyone to say i cant last or anything like that. but again thanks friends!

dayokanu - uve still not told me who u r so i can say if we know each other. but i wont be saying where i schooled and all that, im pretty sure u can get why. smiley

as for the current discussion, im full blood yoruba, and i consider myself nigerian. some nigerians like to argue so to just avoid their mouth i go with nigerian american. but we were raised as nigerians, fully aware of the fact that we were nigerians. my father made it very clear.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dotune(m): 10:19am On Mar 11, 2011
i'm a batch b corp member and i know preferences are given to foreign students. either abuja or lagos, buh if you wish to serve in any other part of the country like yola, taraba you are so welcome(o.y.o) grin
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 10:41am On Mar 11, 2011
martinosi:

O.k where you born and raised in the USA?
ie you did you Primary (Elementary) and Secondary (High)
and University (College) there? and you said you have lived
in Nigeria without your parents? was this on holiday or di
you school in Nigeria?

You to cut to the main point

ARE U OR ARE U NOT LIKE THE GIRL IN THE YOUTUBE VIDEO I POSTED?
which is u were born and raised in the USA and have not lived in Nigeria,

I post the video below to refresh your memory,

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNBbmUFvBw&tracker=False[/flash]

I need to know before i give you my final advise,

as for being like the girl in the video, yes, we are alike because we have 2 nigerian parents and were born and raised and completed schooling in the u.s, but i think it ends there. american-born nigerians can be raised quite differently.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 10:44am On Mar 11, 2011
chocobunny:

to the person who asked (martinosi), as i said in the original post, i was born in u.s. and did ALL OF MY SCHOOLING incuding university here. in terms of your "advice", if you mean you want to give your opinion on if i should even go, its not necessary. thats not what this thread is for, my mind is already made up. but thanks a lot, some ppl dont know what they r getting into.

the thread is solely for finding out if i need to be naturalized, which i found out already.

to whoever else asked, i was on 2 month holiday when i stayed on my own. the other times were vacation. i am answering solely for those interested, not for anyone to say i cant last or anything like that. but again thanks friends!

dayokanu - uve still not told me who u r so i can say if we know each other. but i wont be saying where i schooled and all that, im pretty sure u can get why. smiley

as for the current discussion, im full blood yoruba, and i consider myself nigerian. some nigerians like to argue so to just avoid their mouth i go with nigerian american. but we were raised as nigerians, fully aware of the fact that we were nigerians. my father made it very clear.

O.k thats good to here, as long as you got your identity
sorted out and you know why you are going there.
It all good though as i also come and go in term so my trips to Nigeria.
The world is changing economically and any Nigeria abroad should spread
his/her options.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 10:51am On Mar 11, 2011
martinosi:

O.k thats good to here, as long as you got your identity
sorted out and you know why you are going there.
It all good though as i also come and go in term so my trips to Nigeria.
The world is changing economically and any Nigeria abroad should spread
his/her options.

Yeah i guess so, i noticed that alot of nigerians that are brought
up in dense Nigerian communties in the states grow up with some
strong african up-bringing.

A place where it so obvious as is London. There are places there
that if you went you think you were back in Africa!!! Especially South-East London

But its good that you are taking advantage of your options, all der best!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by Meddler(f): 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2011
OP so u want to do NYSC? I'll just tell you to do your home work well. Don't fall into the trap of getting fed only half of the story. I'm foreign trained and I completed my camp last November (batch C) and still serving. But on camp I met someone who just came from the Uk (born and bred there) and apparently his friends who went thru the program said he was gng to love it, that they had such a wonderful time at camp. Let's just say he was quite disappointed when he actually experienced camp for himself hahahahaha.

Sorry I wasn't one of those ppl who enjoyed camp (can't go into details here). But if you are really interested in NYSC pls, pls weigh the pros and cons of it. If you plan on continuing serving after camp, make sure u find somewhere decent to work or get posted to. I let ppl dictate my place of service for me b'cos I was still a newbie and let's just say I'm currently going thru slave labor. Haven't seen a single pay check from my place of service since I started working here since Nov 2010 (thank God for Savings).

Money- make sure you have mucho savings to rely on. The meager salary u're getting from NYSC or your place of service will not suffice. If u're planning on serving in Abuja make sure u know ppl in Abuja and pls triple whatever mount you currently have in your savings account. Abuja is expensive and if you want to have a good time in Abuja u're gng to need loads of cash

Housing- Start apartment/house hunting as soon as possible (especially in Abuja). Housing is super scarce and super expensive.
Well if you still decide on coming home for service all I can say is God speed. NYSC is what you make of it.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
chocobunny:

as for being like the girl in the video, yes, we are alike because we have 2 nigerian parents and were born and raised and completed schooling in the u.s, but i think it ends there. american-born nigerians can be raised quite differently.

I hope not as ugly though.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 4:33pm On Mar 11, 2011
Meddler:

OP so u want to do NYSC? I'll just tell you to do your home work well. Don't fall into the trap of getting fed only half of the story.

lol sorry you didnt have fun. lol.

dell_net:

I hope not as ugly though.
ahn ahn the babe is not bad!!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
Show a picture of yourself and let me see if you are the New Yorker I know
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 5:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
dayokanu:

Show a picture of yourself and let me see if you are the New Yorker I know

lol so we are both going to be stubborn. any way to take this off nairaland??, aim or something?? you could just tell me your name as well,then ill say mine. smiley
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 5:50pm On Mar 11, 2011
hey
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 7:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
kaaaaiiii, see toasting grin grin--- I don't associate with any Nigerians in NYC unless, they went to Columbia/NYU/Rutgers (or working) ---- most Nigerians in NYC are poor.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 7:40pm On Mar 11, 2011
obowunmi:

kaaaaiiii, see toasting grin grin--- I don't associate with any Nigerians in NYC unless, they went to Columbia/NYU/Rutgers (or working) ---- most Nigerians in NYC are poor.

So are you saying you dont talk to poor people?? im confused. lol. thats not nice!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 7:41pm On Mar 11, 2011
chocobunny:

So are you saying you dont talk to poor people?? im confused. lol. thats not nice!

chocobunny, are you single --- kiss kiss kiss
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 7:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
obowunmi:

chocobunny, are you single --- kiss kiss kiss

LMAO what is it with these very funny questions?? thats so personal. yes i am and intend to stay single for some time. (drawing closer to God)
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 7:54pm On Mar 11, 2011
Obowunmi,

Stay clear of chocobunny, She is mine already Look for your elsewhere.

She is not single, she is taken
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 7:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
chocobunny:

LMAO what is it with these very funny questions?? thats so personal. yes i am and intend to stay single for some time. (drawing closer to God)

Closer to God, well we can go to church together ? Which church do you attend ? I want to draw closer to you ---- kiss kiss kiss
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 7:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
dayokanu:

Obowunmi,

Stay clear of chocobunny, She is mine already Look for your elsewhere.

She is not single, she is taken

Don't you live in the jungle of Texas ? Carry go joor! ---- no babe wan live for village.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 8:00pm On Mar 11, 2011
obowunmi:

no babe wan live for village.

LWKMD!!!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 8:03pm On Mar 11, 2011
^^^^ sweeerie, its the truth na!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corps Member In Osun Commmissions Borehole In This Recession Period (see Photos) / Useful N.Y.S.C Terms And Definitions You Should Get Familiar With / Ebonyi State Corpers Batch B 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.