Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,872 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand (64691 Views)

Which Smartphone Brand Is Your Favorite And Why? / Poll: Which Smartphone Brand Are You Using? / The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by IamSoProlific: 9:12am On Oct 31, 2020
Mihaug:
iphone na efizzy, e no near wetin android phones fit do, I use my Samsung android for my work (designing, forex trading, photoshopping, editing, typing etc), and many other things,

i was gifted an iPhone 11 recently, I jus put simcard leave am dia for like a month, after my sister returned from school, she carry am waka go

Come teach me forex trading big man!

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by CSTRR: 9:17am On Oct 31, 2020
teamsynergy:

Only Huawei is banned from buying chips , xiaomi, vivo and other brands can still buy chips and make flagship phones.
No.

Trump has extended It to every Chinese firm.
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by jikins(m): 9:17am On Oct 31, 2020
emae009:

and if you read the article "clearly" first, you'd notice it's about the shipment of phones for the third quarter of 2020 (July to September), the IPhone 12 was released late, last year the IPhone 11 was released early hence the - 10.6% year on year.
the only phone Apple released in 2020 was iPhone SE and for it to ship that amount of phones in a year where people are mostly buying midrange and flagship killers smartphone, that's impressive.
And oh, the $2 trillion thingy was a comical diss not that it represented iPhone shares in Apple capital revenue

Lets be realistic and stop all this ground standing you have been doing all over this thread. Apple sales have been declining for years. This is not sole based on covid19. They had the second biggest market share. Then Huawei overtook them. Now Xiaomi has. I can tell you that the brass at apple inc if they are smart they need to be very worried.

Things like these don't inspire confidence in investors. There is a reason Samsung is at the top and by a considerable margin, after so many years. They have what Apple has, which is the brand. But more importantly they are flexible in the market. Especially when they know there is profit to be made at every price level. Samsung wasn't a major player in mid range phones until recently. I am pretty sure the rise of Xiaomi was one of the reasons they had to consider it. And it is why they are still no 1 today. Making mad buck from their phone branch. More than anyone else.

Being flexible and keeping with the times is the best market strategy. Apple are rigid in their ways. And its only helping the competition. Say what you will about dates when phones were released or covid19. The truth is when apple were at their best marketshare wise, these situations won't have made them drop in ranking.

A decline in market share isn't something you just excuse away if you are a smart business man. Calculating actual profit just to ease your ego doesn't change the real reality. Which is fall in market shares. For those of us who really follow these phone brands market shares, we all knew it was only a matter of time for xiaomi to overtake apple. Yes probably covid19 sped things up. But its been a long time coming.

The fact that apple haven't still made changes on the price level of phones they make is very alarming. But say what you want to say, the truth is no one in apple inc is thrilled about this news. Its a blow definitely.

To think years ago Samsung and Apple were fighting for dominance in the phone industry. Now Samsung are miles ahead.

10 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Sleekfingers: 9:20am On Oct 31, 2020
fijiano202:
China and India both have over 1.3 billion people each .more than the whole Africa and Europe combined

china and india are over 2. Something billion......india alone is over 1billion
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by kingxsamz(m): 9:21am On Oct 31, 2020
Joshmodest:
People I know using xiaomi in Nigeria are not up to 6 abi na Asian users give them this number ??

So you think they ranked it based on number of sales in Nigeria? undecided
Even Infinix and Tecno which is used by a huge percentage of Nigerians are not on the list.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by IbrahimSkiba(f): 9:23am On Oct 31, 2020
Mihaug:
iphone na efizzy, e no near wetin android phones fit do, I use my Samsung android for my work (designing, forex trading, photoshopping, editing, typing etc), and many other things,

i was gifted an iPhone 11 recently, I jus put simcard leave am dia for like a month, after my sister returned from school, she carry am waka go

You are Damn right

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by sagieramos(m): 9:24am On Oct 31, 2020
0taPiaPia:

No mind am.. I was to reply that shit he said but thought some1 already did and I stumbled on your comment. The guy consciously knows he is overpaying for a piece of tech but still continues because his inferiority complex wouldn't let him.

Na for Africa here wey money no dey we dey craze pass. I recently met some europeans and guess what. 2 have used their Samsung phone for 4&6 years respectively and the other 4 years for his Xiaomi. But here we rush to buy every release like clowns.
Humans are funny. Instead make dem dey brag about the performance of the device wey dem buy, them go dey brag about the profit wey some stakeholders dey earn from them

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:25am On Oct 31, 2020
[quote author=IamSoProlific post=95524132]

Come teach me forex trading big man!

I can teach you for free, The Only catch is you should have ur trading capital ready. The least to trade is $100 (almost 50k)
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Greystone: 9:27am On Oct 31, 2020
Mihaug:

Most people won't understand this until they've used both android and ios.

After two iphones, I'm back to a Samsung A50.
Iphones are good for effeezie but andorids are practical. Phone to phone inter connectivity is much easier with android.

But andriod user interface can be frustrating sha.

5 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by PaulH07: 9:27am On Oct 31, 2020
spactacus:
lol. You wicked, bro. You guys don't need to dey drag matter with TRANSSION. It's a disgrace sef on xiaomi.

Does Xiaomi use Transsion too?
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by trojan84(m): 9:29am On Oct 31, 2020
Nerro042:
This will be good news for Apple haters. Although Apple is a brand oriented company they do not flood the market with cheap midrange products that is why they have a loyal fan base like oneplus. If they did produce many midrange phones, they'll be number one till eternity because trust me majority will buy because of the apple logo on the back. Well iphone is more than just a phone. It's a way of life.

That's not true, u can't be sure of a scenario that didn't happen. You should say they myt be and not they will be. Trust me not everyone love the look and feel of IOS

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by IamSoProlific: 9:30am On Oct 31, 2020
[quote author=Mihaug post=95524511][/quote]

Sure that works for me.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 9:32am On Oct 31, 2020
amstamon:

Your ultra dey learn where Xiaomi ultra dey .
Oya Google am (Samsung S20 ultra Vs Xiaomi mi 10 ultra)
Thamke later for the heads-up
I'm not interested, for me and others that prefer quality phones, Sammy S20 ultra is the best

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Classickj(m): 9:32am On Oct 31, 2020
emae009:
For every 65k Xiaomi you buy, Apple sells 350,000k iPhone. Now do the maths... Apple doesn't need to be on top of the list to make mad profits. Apple is competing with Aramco for the public traded company with the largest capital market share... That's Saudi Arabia owned oil company...
Y'all android fan boys are always looking for a little chart or ranking to hate on Apple but it's $2 trillion y'all
Only the rich and yahoo boys can afford that 350k iPhone
A normal guy or girl would rather settle for that 65k phone
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by trojan84(m): 9:32am On Oct 31, 2020
emae009:

Phone shipment doesn't necessarily transmit to purchases. The data is about how many phones each company shipped from July to September. How many phones did Apple produce between that time??
For a brand like Samsung that has over 10 devices this year alone, it'd have been a disgrace to not be #1.
A lot of people are buying midrange and entry level phones this year considering the economic downturn and that is a market you won't find an Apple product.
Last year, the IPhone 11 was released early hence the - 10.6% you're reading as "Financials".

About Samsung, it's not this year alone. It has been like that for more than 2 years. They have been maintaining the number 1 spot
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:33am On Oct 31, 2020
Hassanmaye:

Uncle why now, you want frustrate iPhone users ni? Some of our use all our savings including starving our selves, not buying clothes, and know you want disgrace iPhone, abeg

Lol, it ain't like dat bro, Like i said, its for efizzy, that swag dey dia. But what i value is capability and functionality, very soon am going for Samsung S20 Ultra 5G. That phone is a beast. Hopefully i will get it this xmas

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 9:34am On Oct 31, 2020
Classickj:

Only the rich and yahoo boys can afford that 350k iPhone
A normal guy or girl would rather settle for that 65k phone
Don't let poverty kill you, pray for God to uplift u

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:36am On Oct 31, 2020
IamSoProlific:

Sure that works for me.
Send an Email
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by grandstar(m): 9:36am On Oct 31, 2020
elvischukie:
please I can't find infinix and tecno on the list grin grin

My friend, look very well. I saw them there!
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Hoelujohn: 9:39am On Oct 31, 2020
Mihaug:

Sorry bro, what is the name of the school that your sister just returned from? I am confused

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:39am On Oct 31, 2020
Greystone:

Most people won't understand this until they've used both android and ios.

After two iphones, I'm back to a Samsung A50.
Iphones are good for effeezie but andorids are practical. Phone to phone inter connectivity is much easier with android.

But andriod user interface can be frustrating sha.

Lol, I Gat u, Androids interface are many, just when ur getting used to one, a new version pops up. Then u start trying to figure out how to use the OS

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by sagieramos(m): 9:39am On Oct 31, 2020
emae009:

As a business developer, I hope to learn a thing or two about how Apple manage to command such brand loyalty to be competing with a Saudi Arabia owned oil company
First flagship mover bro, couple with iOS, therefore they have no competition within their ecosystem

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:41am On Oct 31, 2020
Hoelujohn:

Sorry bro, what is the name of the school that your sister just returned from? I am confused

Madonna University, she came to Abuja for a shopping spree... She has gone back tho...
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:43am On Oct 31, 2020
Abagworo:

Sincerely iphone is overated. I've always used iphone and Android but apart from quality display iphone has nothing over Android be it Tekno, Samsung or infinix.

Yeah, IPhone display Mad oo, right from time. Their camera dope too. Those r d only things i love abt them
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by teamsynergy: 9:43am On Oct 31, 2020
CSTRR:

No.

Trump has extended It to every Chinese firm.

It is unlikely that the ban will come into effect because it will really affect the profit margins of these american chip makers as well. Banning all china firms will be very bad for global market.

On the other hand, mediatek may just need to step up and make high end check chips that can rival high end SD chips

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2020
Paxxcarl:
who ask you your shalaye too much

Lol, Sorry Sir! grin
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by 0taPiaPia(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2020
sagieramos:

Humans are funny. Instead make dem dey brag about the performance of the device wey dem buy, them go dey brag about the profit wey some stakeholders dey earn from them

Maybe he get shares for apples or by buying apple automatically qualify him for shares. grin
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Vacora(m): 9:46am On Oct 31, 2020
HisExcellence:

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS46974920

Your article shows your bias towards Apple. I find it strange that you deliberately ignored the section from the same IDC report albeit your source which succinctly explains the short term reasons for the decline :

“Apple shipped 41.6 million iPhones in 3Q20, down 10.6% year over year, which placed the company in fourth for the first time with 11.8% share. This drop was expected and is mainly due to the delay in the launch of the new iPhone 12 series, which is usually in the third quarter. Regardless, the iPhone 11 series did exceptionally well, contributing the majority of Apple's volume, followed by the SE device. Looking ahead, we expect Apple to grow in coming quarters with strong early demand for iPhone 12 paired with robust trade-in offers across major carriers, especially in the U.S.”

Your post was clearly not balanced or objective.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by Mihaug(m): 9:46am On Oct 31, 2020
tetralogyfallot:
u can do all the things u mentioned on apple iPhone, its just that its not user friendly like the android.

Besides the playstore has many more apps than iPhone
Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by teamsynergy: 9:47am On Oct 31, 2020
Mihaug:

Yeah, IPhone display Mad oo, right from time. Their camera dope too. Those r d only things i love abt them

Samsung make display for iphones , now Lg is making the display. Samsung screen is mad as well, same as lg, soon and other flagship android.

For camera these days iphone doesnt dominate that department anymore. Pixel, vivo, huawei, samsung are doing same fantastic job

4 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by sagieramos(m): 9:48am On Oct 31, 2020
amstamon:

Your ultra dey learn where Xiaomi ultra dey .
Oya Google am (Samsung S20 ultra Vs Xiaomi mi 10 ultra)
Thamke later for the heads-up
Actually, S20 ultra senior mi 10 ultra because of the latest SD chipset in s20 ultra. Na s20 mi10 ultra senior

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand by emae009(m): 9:48am On Oct 31, 2020
amstamon:

If their high-end phones are 4gb ram,I wonder what their midrange and low range phone specs would be ..
Just thinking ...lol

iOS isn't a memory hungry operating system. Do good research, know the SWOT of your rival before laughing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

How To Check If Your National Identity Card Is Ready / Download PES 2016 For PPSSPP / Thinking Of Getting A Smartphone? Come In For Advice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.