Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,560 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo (78148 Views)

Wike Clarifies Peter Obi 'endorsement' / BREAKING: Tinubu's Biggest Confusion About Northern Politics (Photos) / We Are Not Igbo– Dr Ojieh, National President Izu Anioma. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 11:24pm On Nov 13, 2020
Nchenches:

What prize are you going to give to the Ikwerre for not being Igbo?
Ikwerres sold Igbos as slaves for centuries

I understand their mindset.

No matter how we dress it up

Igbos were sold as slaves by Eastern minorities for centuries.

This is an inescapable fact

Ikwerres were not sold
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Kfed4ril(m): 11:28pm On Nov 13, 2020
MusaChukwudi:

You must come to my land fine. Explain why the whole of Igboland want to relocate to live on my land when only a tiny fraction actually come here to transact business? Why can’t you all with your population take your business to Igboland and make your local economy viable?
And don’t give me shitt about the ports. The other non-Yorubas are not vacating their land to come here?
Things are still peaceful now but don’t be so sure as timid, stupid Yoruba people begin to wake up and realise that we cannot continue to host millions and millions of outsiders in particular IGBO PEOPLE!
Igbo are a major tribe and it is shameful how they have turned themselves to beg for accommodation in YORUBA LAND!

You can’t want one Nigeria and don’t want the baggage’s that come with it, if you don’t want Igbos in your land support the dissolution of Nigeria, so after then when you see an Igbo msn in your land you’ll have mouth to talk, but now we are helping you practice the one Nigeria you preach

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 11:32pm On Nov 13, 2020
aribisala0:
That the Ikwerres and Igbos understand each other is a lie

Even if they understand each other it means nothing. It just proves they are neighbours

Portuguese people understand Spanish easily it does not make them the same

If you are asked to differentiate an Igbo man from an Ikwerre man. What will you use

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 11:46pm On Nov 13, 2020
aribisala0:
Ikwerres sold Igbos as slaves for centuries

I understand their mindset.

No matter how we dress it up

Igbos were sold as slaves by Eastern minorities for centuries.

This is an inescapable fact

Ikwerres were not sold

Wow. All these your propaganda just to front for cheap cash from crude oil. They taught you that no country survives without crude oil.

Go and drink one more bottle. No normal person can write what you wrote. Half education is your disease.

Chima is the most popular name in Ikwerre land where natives speak Igbo, in another dialect. The surnames and middle names of Ikwerre natives are Igbo.
You separate them from Igbo because of your desire for cheap cash from crude oil. Persons like Wike on personal political pursuits agree with you.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2020
bigfish3k:

If you are asked to differentiate an Igbo man from an Ikwerre man. What will you use
If you are asked to differentiate today from tomorrow what will you use

Your brain is immature. You reason like a child
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 11:51pm On Nov 13, 2020
Nchenches:

Wow. All these your propaganda just to front for cheap cash from crude oil. They taught you that no country survives without crude oil.

Go and drink one more bottle. No normal person can write what you wrote. Half education is your disease.

Chima is the most popular name in Ikwerre land where natives speak Igbo, in another dialect. The surnames and middle names of Ikwerre natives are Igbo.
You separate them from Igbo because of your desire for cheap cash from crude oil. Persons like Wike on personal political pursuits agree with you.
Igbos were sold as slaves by centuries by Ikwerres and Ijaws. Many of those identifying as Igbo today are descendants of unsold slaves when the slave trade ended
and cargo could not be moved

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 11:58pm On Nov 13, 2020
aribisala0:
Igbos were sold as slaves by centuries by Ikwerres and Ijaws. Many of those identifying as Igbo today are descendants of unsold slaves when the slave trade ended

Lol.
Therefore, the Igbo descendants of slaves in Ikwerre land are still there, and are still bearing their Igbo identity, according to you.

And those descendants make up nearly all of Ikwerre population because the surnames and middle names of Ikwerre people are Igbo. They speak a dialect of Igbo.
Their customs and traditions are Igbo. They share same religious beliefs with Igbo.
Do you see how brainless you are?
Go and tell Wike to make his name become Rwike in order to be different from Igbo, as was done after the civil war when R was added to the front of Igbo names of towns in Ikwerre to make them not be Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by MusaChukwudi: 12:05am On Nov 14, 2020
Kfed4ril:

You can’t want one Nigeria and don’t want the baggage’s that come with it, if you don’t want Igbos in your land support the dissolution of Nigeria, so after then when you see an Igbo msn in your land you’ll have mouth to talk, but now we are helping you practice the one Nigeria you preach

Stop deceiving yourself and face the issue!
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 12:09am On Nov 14, 2020
Nchenches:

Lol.
Therefore, the Igbo descendants of slaves in Ikwerre land are still there, and are still bearing their Igbo identity, according to you.

And those descendants make up nearly all of Ikwerre population because their surnames and middle names are Igbo. They speak a dialect of Igbo.
Their customs and traditions are Igbo. They share same religious beliefs with Igbo.
Do you see how brainless you are?
Go and tell Wike to make his name become Rwike in order to be different from Igbo, as was done after the civil war when R was added to the front of Igbo names of towns in Ikwerre to make them not be Igbo.
Who said the descendants of slaves are in Ikwerre land?

They do not speak a dialect of Igbo.

They speak a different language called Ikwerre.

R was not added after the civil war it was always there but removed by domineering Igbos .. It was simply restored . The question is your desperation

How and why will a people wake up one day and change the names of all their towns for no reason

You are so desperate you are prepared to believe such rubbish

That an entire people would wake up and change the names of their towns AND NOT ONE PERSON PROTESTED

NOT ONE?

Is that possible

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by oyatz(m): 12:11am On Nov 14, 2020
HAccord:

Oga you made no point, are you not an intellectually dubious yorubaman who are experts at approbating and reprobating at the same time even in the face of unchallegeable and unalloyed truisms and factoids.

yoruba go see white dey argue say na blue until the evil wey him dey support meet am. Chameleons...Shift go one side biko.

All these are irrelevant and unrelated to the subject matter.

How will Igbos dominate the Minorities to punish as earlier postulated.

As our democracy mature, no ethnic will be able to dominate another ethnic group.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 12:13am On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

You don’t know that, if Yoruba is United enough and lose a war of secession from Nigeria, the Yoruba in Kogi, Kwarra, Benue shall be asked to deny being Yoruba if crude oil is found in Kogi, Kwarra, Benue. Some of them will agree to avoid persecution from Nigeria during and after the war.

Well too many dunces come to NL to while away time. A learned Yoruba or Fulani will be laughing behind at Wike for being the first elected Ikwerre man to go to the social media to say that he is not Igbo.

What does Wike hope to achieve with that other than personal political ambition but diminish the influence of Ikwerre?

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by oyatz(m): 12:22am On Nov 14, 2020
osascybog:

If he was wise enough he should have avoided that statement...he would one day regret it

Regret what exactly?

For saying he doesn't belong to the Igbo tribe doesn't mean he has done any bad thing.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 12:28am On Nov 14, 2020
Nchenches:

You don’t know that, if Yoruba is United enough and lose a war of secession from Nigeria, the Yoruba in Kogi, Kwarra, Benue shall be asked to deny being Yoruba if crude oil is found in Kogi, Kwarra, Benue. Some of them will agree to avoid persecution from Nigeria during and after the war.

Well too many dunces come to NL to while away time. A learned Yoruba or Fulani will be laughing behind at Wike for being the first elected Ikwerre man to go to the social media to say that he is not Igbo.

What does Wike hope to achieve with that other than personal political ambition but diminish the influence of Ikwerre?
The Ikwerre were recognized in the 1979 constitution as a distinct ethnic group
Ogbakor Ikwerre is older than Ohanaeze
The Ikwerre rejected the Igbo bible and commissioned their own
The Ikwerre went to the Willinks commission in the 1950s to seek protection as a minority yet you folk continue in this vein of self delusion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:00am On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
Igbos were the biggest consignment of slaves sold in Calabar and Ijaw land
Fact!!

Ikwerres cannot see being called Igbo as a thing of pride

I asked you a simple question and you're spewing irrelevant drivel. Where is the source of your claim that Ikwerres were some kind of slave masters of Igbos. And to compound the idiocy, your authority on the claim was that we should "ask Asari Dokubo". Which beer parlour did you get that version of history from? An internet nonentity claiming something is "Fact!!" does not make it fact. Where did you source your historical claim from?

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 4:14am On Nov 14, 2020
@aribisala0

You are a Yoruba Moslem from Lagos state living in Birmingham, GB.

You have devoted most of your close to 116 posts on Nairaland since about ten years on Igbo bashing.
An Igbo man must have built his house on top of your father’s grave in Lagos, considering the level of your bitterness.

Why not join hands and push for Igbos to leave Nigeria for their own country, or push for Oduduwa Republic, for your problem to get solved? If not, you will die a miserable old man in the cold of GB.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by History555: 4:22am On Nov 14, 2020
Nchenches:
@aribisala0

You are a Yoruba Moslem from Lagos state living in Birmingham, GB.

You have devoted most of your close to 1000 posts on Nairaland since about ten years on Igbo bashing.
An Igbo man must have built his house on top of your father’s grave in Lagos, considering the level of your bitterness.

Why not join hands and push for Igbos to leave Nigeria for their own country, or push for Oduduwa Republic, for your problem to get solved?

His bitterness on lgbo issue is worse than bad belle. All his comments are on lgbos, almost 10,000 comments on lgbos. Damn lgbos have done him strong thing sha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 4:47am On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

Hahaha
You are the one telling us that we are different, I posed a simple question to you to spot the differences between us.
Instead of you to give up on your foolish and wicked arguments of divide and rule because you can't spot any difference apart from your blind argument
But as a typical zombie Blackman you just resorted to abuse.

You can now see that you have no point and it's you that have immature brain.

NB:All your arguments are so disjointed and illogical

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by survivor10(m): 6:07am On Nov 14, 2020
kingsavage:
I hate igbos angry

Tribalism is bad. Hating other humans solely due to tribe.

You must be a fool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 7:24am On Nov 14, 2020
Obi1kenobi:

I asked you a simple question and you're spewing irrelevant drivel. Where is the source of your claim that Ikwerres were some kind of slave masters of Igbos. And to compound the idiocy, your authority on the claim was that we should "ask Asari Dokubo". Which beer parlour did you get that version of history from? An internet nonentity claiming something is "Fact!!" does not make it fact. Where did you source your historical claim from?
Asari Dokubo knows very well
His ancestors sold millions of Igbo slaves
Ikwerre were generally not sold as slaves so one understands why being called Igbo is offensive to them
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by nwala85: 7:40am On Nov 14, 2020
peacekante:
The Governor was asked by Dele MOMODU if he is igbo and he gave a blunt reply. "I am not" . He later went on to clarify the misunderstanding about his name and also the ikwere people link to igbo.

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ANmx2mhOU
this my governor's defense is an empty crap.
at a point he denies Igboness and at another he accepts it. I am a Rivers man and I am igbo.
The only sensible sense he made was reinstating the fact that being igbo does not connote that he should accept his fellow igbos to come and rain mayhem in his state.
this is very correct assuming the igbos were actually responsible for all the problems.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Onlinesmart: 7:59am On Nov 14, 2020
Nobody want to associate with a viled tribe. Igbos still don't know they have serious internal issues till they implode. An average SS person detest igbo but I just don't know why. A guy lives in my street that looks like igbo not until he warned us to stop calling him igbo. He's an efik man.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by kingsavage: 8:31am On Nov 14, 2020
survivor10:
[s]

Tribalism is bad. Hating other humans solely due to tribe.

You must be a fool[/s]
I hate those monkeys angry
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 8:34am On Nov 14, 2020
nwala85:

at a point he denies Igboness and at another he accepts it. I am a Rivers man and I am igbo.
The only sensible sense he made was reinstating the fact that being igbo does not connote that he should accept his fellow igbos to come and rain mayhem in his state.
this is very correct assuming the igbos were actually responsible for all the problems.
At no point did he accept being Igbo either you do not understand English or you are a liar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by samuk: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2020
nwala85:

You definitely have problems with the English language. Wike never say he is Igbo, he only made assumption without conceding to be Igbo. Igbo must ask themselves why no tribes outside of the south east want to be Igbo, the only people in Delta and Rivers that claims Igbos are usually recent migrants whose forefathers were not indigenous to those places.

There are tribes in far away Kogi and Kwara that are proud to be Yoruba and there are tribes in far away Benue that are proud of their Benin heritage yet there are tribes within Igbo land that are rather proud of their Igala, Benin and Idoma heritages. Should Igbo get their Biafra, I see an internal struggle and civil war between descendants of Igbo slaves and slaves masters.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:29am On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

Asari Dokubo knows very well
His ancestors sold millions of Igbo slaves
Ikwerre were generally not sold as slaves so one understands why being called Igbo is offensive to them

1) You do know you're Yoruba right? A group that accounted for probably most of the slaves shipped to the Caribbean and Latin America and a significant fraction of those shipped to North America. I'm not quite sure why you think referring to our enslaved ancestors is some kind of slur. You're obviously a special level of stewpid.

2) Considering Ikwerres were well known slave victims of the Aro Confederacy, it's ironic to have some beer parlour mugu claiming that the slaves were actually slave masters. Who were these Igbos that the Ikwerre enslaved, abi you didn't get the complete story from your beer parlour?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 10:55am On Nov 14, 2020
Obi1kenobi:

1) You do know you're Yoruba right? A group that accounted for probably most of the slaves shipped to the Caribbean and Latin America and a significant fraction of those shipped to North America. I'm not quite sure why you think referring to our enslaved ancestors is some kind of slur. You're obviously a special level of stewpid.

2) Considering Ikwerres were well known slave victims of the Aro Confederacy, it's ironic to have some beer parlour mugu claiming that the slaves were actually slave masters. Who were these Igbos that the Ikwerre enslaved, abi you didn't get the complete story from your beer parlour?

Who sold the Yorubas as slaves was it Igbos?? No one is saying it is a slur or not that is your baggage

The simple fact is that Igbos were SOLD BY OTHERS . They were hunted and SOLD BY OTHERS

The Aro Confederacy was not an Igbo project it was an Ibibio project No different from how Fulanis took over Hausaland and sold many of them off as slaves to Arabs

What is key is that IGBOS NEVER CONTROLLED ANY COASTAL AREAS and were victims of the Ijaw and Ibibio as well as Ikwerre who saw them as commodities

That is why it is hard for Ikwerre to accept being Igbo
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:06am On Nov 14, 2020
samuk:

You definitely have problems with the English language. Wike never say he is Igbo, he only made assumption without conceding to be Igbo. Igbo must ask themselves why no tribes outside of the south east want to be Igbo, the only people in Delta and Rivers that claims Igbos are usually recent migrants whose forefathers were not indigenous to those places.

Another beer parlour expert. Apparently, Aniocha and Oshimili are not indigenous to Delta. You heard that one in your beer parlour, abi?
Yes, Ikas, Ukwuanis and Ikwerres are Igbo-denialists. Ikas and Ukwuanis in particular have a complex history with Igbos only being a part of it and it's understandable why they assert a distinct identity - the same reason Itsekiris who have Yoruba heritage don't call themselves Yoruba. There's also post-civil war trauma where Igboid groups sought to dissociate themselves from the the tragic fate of Igbos. And there's also the effect of oil politics and wanting a sense of belonging in the South South. If you don't know anything about Igbos and Igboid groups, maybe stay in your lane and stop embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.

There are tribes in far away Kogi and Kwara that are proud to be Yoruba and there are tribes in far away Benue that are proud of their Benin heritage yet there are tribes within Igbo land that are rather proud of their Igala, Benin and Idoma heritages. Should Igbo get their Biafra, I see an internal struggle and civil war between descendants of Igbo slaves and slaves masters.

Many tribes in the SS trace their roots to Benin and yet, they don't claim to be Bini. They are far more confused than Igbos are, so it's ironic to see you using them as an example. There are like 3 dozen Edoid languages in Nigeria, many of them mutually intelligible, and yet, each group claims to be a distinct tribe despite having mere dialectical differences. I find it very funny that Isokos for example claim to be a distinct tribe, when there is no meaningful distinction between them and Urhobos. That is absolute lunacy. It's the same thing you see when you move further East to the Ekoid groups and you see many mutually intelligible linguistic groups in Cross River and Akwa-Ibom claiming to be distinct ethnicities. If anything, it is very impressive that hundreds of Igbo clans, many of us with very different histories and marked cultural distinctions (with often unintelligible dialects) who were never any kind of single entity pre-colonialism (unlike empires that brought other groups together) democratically came together under one banner as the Igbo nation.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:20am On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

Who sold the Yorubas as slaves was it Igbos?? No one is saying it is a slur or not that is your baggage

The simple fact is that Igbos were SOLD BY OTHERS . They were hunted and SOLD BY OTHERS

I'm amused you think being sold by your kinsmen into slavery is worse than being sold by others into slavery. That's funny as fucckk. grin

The Aro Confederacy was not an Igbo project it was an Ibibio project No different from how Fulanis took over Hausaland and sold many of them off as slaves to Arabs

The Aro confederacy was an alliance of several distinct ethno-linguistic groups led by the Aro people (they are not Igbo denialists though I'm sure you'd dream of mastuurbating over that) with spiritual ties to the Ibibios and their religious traditions.

What is key is that IGBOS NEVER CONTROLLED ANY COASTAL AREAS and were victims of the Ijaw and Ibibio as well as Ikwerre who saw them as commodities

That is why it is hard for Ikwerre to accept being Igbo

All these ramblings to still arrive at the fact that you can't account for the source of your dumb history that Ikwerres were enslavers of Igbos. Picture me saying that Itsekiris don't identify as Yoruba because Yorubas were their slaves. That's how stewpid you sound right now. Well it's an anonymous forum. Making a fool of yourself obviously doesn't come with much by way of consequences.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by chrisxxx(m): 11:22am On Nov 14, 2020
EmekaA125:

Mtcheeeew, same oil deposit in Imo and Abia States and currently being harnessed in Anambra. Let me not talk about the coal and salt deposits in Enugu and Ebonyi respectively. U people think Igboland is barren, desert or something Like he rightfully said, Ikwerre people should go and bloat themselves off identity crisis. Ok, most of them believe they originated from Bini empire, why then are they speaking and answering Igbo names. Those I engaged on Twitter said Ikwerre language is similar to Igbo but not the same. I said ok, Bia means "Come" in Igbo language which other ethnic groups in Nigeria know, so I asked them what "Come" means in their language and they couldn't answer. Probably shying away from saying anything that would contradict their earlier stand on having Bini ancestral lineage. Seriously, Ndigbo have a lot to think of now and this identity denial of Ikwerre ethnic group as they claimed is obviously among the least.
Ikwerre LGA says Va for come.
I ask you what is the Igbo word for Yes?
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by samuk: 11:40am On Nov 14, 2020
Obi1kenobi:

Many tribes in the SS trace their roots to Benin and yet, they don't claim to be Bini. They are far more confused than Igbos are, so it's ironic to see you using them as an example. There are like 3 dozen Edoid languages in Nigeria, many of them mutually intelligible, and yet, each group claims to be a distinct tribe despite having mere dialectical differences. I find it very funny that Isokos for example claim to be a distinct tribe, when there is no meaningful distinction between them and Urhobos. That is absolute lunacy. It's the same thing you see when you move further East to the Ekoid groups and you see many mutually intelligible linguistic groups in Cross River and Akwa-Ibom claiming to be distinct ethnicities. If anything, it is very impressive that hundreds of Igbo clans, many of us with very different histories and marked cultural distinctions (with often unintelligible dialects) who were never any kind of single entity pre-colonialism (unlike empires that brought other groups together) democratically came together under one banner as the Igbo nation.

Under the Benin empire, the independence and the rights of every tribes that made up the empire was sacrosanct. Tribes were allowed to retained their various identities otherwise most southern and middle belt Nigeria would have been known today as simply Benin because the empire had the military might to have decreed so.

The Igbo is currently trying to build an empire by claiming people who have been independent tribes for centuries. You guys in your delusions think that because you pronounced a tribe Igbo, they automatically become Igbo. People should be comfortable enough to buy into the Igbo project. Ikwerre don't want another layer of Identity, they are happy being Ikwerre and Nigerians not Ikwerre, Igbo and then Nigerians.

Igbo was just a name to bring various erstwhile independent tribes together under a social political umbrella. It's nothing but a club or union of tribes that people can become part of if they are comfortable enough or exit or not even want to be part of.

Igbo/Biafra is not different from what Bendel used to be for Edo/Delta people. You guys should be contended with your five south eastern states.

I am surprised you guys are also not claiming Benin as Igbo because Benin actually shares numerous words with same meanings with various Igbo tribes. There is also similarities in culture, the market days and new yam festival. I guess Benin is too well established and steeped in history for you guys to annexed and claim. Although Nnamdi Kanu did made the laughable claim recently.

The reason Igbo project/empire will not be able to go behold the south east like the Yoruba and Hausa Fulani have expanded beyond their primary geographical locations is Igbo don't enjoy same central cultural/religious focal points as the Yoruba and Hausas. Who will Ikwerre or the Obi of Agbor now regard as his cultural and spiritual superior in Igbo land and will the Igbos accept the superiority of Obi of Agbor. The Yoruba Ooni/Alaafin and Hausas Saultan don't have these problems.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

But if I ask you to differentiate an Ikwerre man from Yoruba or Hausa you will quickly have hundreds of highlights to use

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2020
samuk:

Under the Benin empire, the independence and the rights of every tribes that made up the empire was sacrosanct. Tribes were allowed to retained their various identities otherwise most southern and middle belt Nigeria would have been known today as simply Benin because the empire had the military might to have decreed so.

The Igbo is currently trying to build an empire by claiming people who have been independent tribes for centuries. You guys in your delusions think that because you pronounced a tribe Igbo, they automatically become Igbo. People should be comfortable enough to buy into the Igbo project. Ikwerre don't want another layer of Identity, they are happy being Ikwerre and Nigerians not Ikwerre, Igbo and then Nigerians.

But this is irrelevant to your earlier claims. You claimed only recent migrants to Delta and Rivers claim to be Igbo. That's ignorant nonsense. Then you were trying to use Benin as an example of proud identity. Which makes no sense. Even Igbo denialists acknowledge their Igbo heritage even if they reject the identity of being Igbo. Which is no different from the Edoid groups you're citing. Ikas for example may say they're not Igbo, but they don't claim to be Edo/Benin/Bini either. They acknowledge their complex history and heritage is tied to both groups.

And most of us don't dispute anyone's right to self-determination. I don't know any Igbo man in real life who concerns themselves over whether Ikwerres are Igbo or not. Most of us know that some SS Igboid groups don't identify as Igbo and it's at best a curiosity to us and not something we lose sleep over. Most of the conflict is fanned by outside groups itching to see us fight amongst ourselves, like Dele Momodu's mischievous line of questioning and all the Yorubas mastuurbating on this thread. Check any of these threads about Ikwerres and it's always Yoruba folks all over them trying to sow discord. As I said earlier, the Igbo identity is a recent one where Igbo speaking people came together under one banner to forge a common identity. Democratically. It's a choice and those who don't want to be part of it are entitled to their choice.

One particular reason Ikwerre denialism provokes Igbos more than other Igboid groups that do it is that so deeply entrenched are they in their narrative, that they invented a non-existent history with Benin to buttress their Igbo denialism. Ikwerres clearly share common roots with clans in southern border areas of Imo state. But so deep is their Igbophobia and political opportunism that they promote a clearly fabricated history. You can make an informed choice without lying.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar's April Fool Prank By His Children [PICS] / Peter Obi And Asiwaju Tinubu Shake Hands At The Peace Accord (Photo) / Keke And Motorcycle Riders Leaving Lagos After Ban By The State Govt (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.