Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo (77998 Views)

Wike Clarifies Peter Obi 'endorsement' / BREAKING: Tinubu's Biggest Confusion About Northern Politics (Photos) / We Are Not Igbo– Dr Ojieh, National President Izu Anioma. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by okpukpu(m): 1:47pm On Nov 12, 2020
Its okay Wike off your mic we don here you...

Ikweres are not Igbo but you must not intimidate other groups to denounce their Igboship simply because you are the governor.

19 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by XANDERO85: 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2020
iddonla:
This guy no like igbos at all grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

even yoruba politicians no dislike igbos like this cos they are very warm and good people..

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

Second paragraph cracked me up! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by XANDERO85: 1:55pm On Nov 12, 2020
mbaise1000:

ikwere language? what's the meaning of that name in igbo language and what is the meaning of ikwere in ikwere language and in igbo language? people will not seize to amaze, anyways I don't see what is important in wike being igbo or not, people like JONATHAN who is more important and more intelligent and more matured and more recognized all over the world and more valuable is not igbo but identified with the igbo to the extent of adopting an an igbo name for himself, compare him to some igbos that are denying their identity for pots of porridge like one thing in abuja and another thing in lagos and the difference is very clear.
you won't see people like okonja iweala do that. that wike is being applauded by a particular set of people who are insulting him a few weeks ago but see him as their hero today, because he is killing igbos in obigbo will tell any sane person why IPOB seen to be the best option now

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by HAccord: 1:56pm On Nov 12, 2020
NaijirianKing:
A very confused tribe... at a local level they are their own tribe, but nationally they magically become more Igbo than Igbo people. If Igbo were smart, they would permanently close this revolving door since it doesn't benefit Igbo.

Igbo should force this minority group to compete among the big three as a super minority at all times.

Igbos are not forcing ikwerre minorities into any alliance. They are the ones stealing Igbo language, names and identity. When they commit crimes at the national or international level, people will say 'omo Ibo don commit another one' not knowing he is an Ikwerreman with Bini heritage and Igbo name. The whole of the Igbo race bears the brunt. So Igbos need to be very concerned.

These Ikwerres are descendants of Bini people who migrated during the slavery era from the Bini empire and even possibly with some traces of yoruba genes, yet they are keen on bearing Igboid names.

The solution- Relinguinization of Ikwerre ethnocultural system. It can be done. Even Rotimi Ramaechi have shown them how to start renaming themselves to do away the vestigates of the Igbo toga little by little.

Wike can start by budgeting like N200 billion for the project and incentivizing his Ikwerre people. He can say, any father who renames his child with a Bini name gets 1 million naira. If you are Ikwerre and has a child bearing Emeka and rename him Osahon, you get 1 million naira, if you have 5 kids, that's 5 million naira. This would do a lot of magic. Even N100,000 per child will help the re-bininization revolution in a massive way.

Political Incentivization worked during the civil war when Gowon and Fulanis allowed them to keep their lives for denying to be Igbos, it would still work today and will help stop all these confusion and put to rest the quagmire and everyone will be happy.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2020
Even Judas said he was not a disciple.

People denying their identity because of fear is not a new thing.

10 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Pecuman: 2:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
osarog:
For the fact that my language sounds like Igbo language doesn't mean I'm Igbo. People should understand this.

Ikwerres are not Igbo.

I get that Ikwerre don't want to be called Igbo but Ikwerre doesn't sound like Igbo, it is Igbo. There is more difference between Orlu and Umuahia Igbo than between Orlu and Ikwerre. Ikwerre language is Igbo but you can always be different ethnicity.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Pecuman: 2:02pm On Nov 12, 2020
HAccord:

Igbos are not forcing ikwerre minorities into any alliance. They are the ones stealing Igbo language, names and identity. When they commit crimes at the national or international level, people will say 'omo Ibo don commit another one'. The whole of the Igbo race bears the brunt. So Igbos need to be very concerned. These Ikwerres are descendants of Bini people who migrated during the slavery era from the Bini empire or even possibly with some traces of yoruba genes, yet they are keen bearing Igboid names.

The solution- Relinguinization of Ikwerre ethnocultural system. It can be done. Even Rotimi Ramaechi have shown them they can start renaming themselves to do away the vestigates of Igbo toga little by little.

Wike can start by budgeting like 200 billion for the project and incentivizing his Ikwerre people. He can say, any father renames his child with a Bini name gets 1 million naira. If you are Ikwerre and has a child bearing Emeka and renames him Osahon, you get 1 million naira, if you have 5 kids, that's 5 million naira. This would do a lot of magic. Even N100,000 per child will help the re-bininization revolution in a massive way.

Incentivization worked during the civil war when Gowon and Fulanis allowed them to keep their lives for denying to be Igbos, it would still work today and will help stop all these confusion and put to rest the quagmire and everyone will be happy.

By every metric applied universally to all Igbo peoples but personal identification, Ikwerre are Igbo. Anioma and Onitsha probably have more Bini admixture than them, pre-colonial documents call people of those region Igbo.

But if they don't want to be Igbo again, fine, their choice.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by iddonla: 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2020
Afamed:

Ask those who after accommodating them for years, the next you begin to hear is that ,your land is no-man's-land

i am yoruba like you..lets preach love always and not hate

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by JonDon12: 2:09pm On Nov 12, 2020
Languages borrow from each other. But sometimes a language is completely derivative of another. Ikwerre is one. Ikwerrre is a dialect of ibo. End of story. I won't tell the Ikwerrre they are ibo. If they want to deny their own kin, that's on them

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by HAccord: 2:21pm On Nov 12, 2020
Pecuman:

By every metric applied universally to all Igbo peoples but personal identification, Ikwerre are Igbo. Anioma and Onitsha probably have more Bini admixture than them, pre-colonial documents call people of those region Igbo.

But if they don't want to be Igbo again, fine, their choice.

Oga let's forget all these patronizing gesture. Ikwerre (Iwhuruoha/ Iwhuruosa) are not Igbo, we know it, they know it. The only problem is that took our names without our permission. That's why we have this quagmire.
An Ikwerre man who came to seek a job in my company identified himself as Arochukwu man because he grew up in Abia. He knew he wouldn't get the job if he identified as an Ikwerreman because Ikwerre youths are known to have very bad work ethics and temperament. He ended up stealing from the company, we only got to know when the police traced him to his village in Ikwerre LGA.

The fact they can easily switch their identity whenever they like in order to profit from it is what they seem to be enjoying like chameleons.

Wike himself cannot claim not to have heard people call him an Igbo man before 2019 elections but he kept quiet because Igbo identity was beneficial for him to win 2019 elections. Why didn't he publicly condemn those calling him an Igbo man pre-2019? grin

Elections are gone now and he is back to being a non-Igbo man. If he were that confident, he should have made all these anti-Igbo comments and behaviour before 2019, let's see how far he would have gone. Very dubious thug. grin

Let him use Rivers billions to import Bini teachers to teach Ikwere people their forgotten forefathers' language, he has only 3 more years to do this. E nor suppose hard na.

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by kollinzgee(m): 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2020
Ikwerres will continue to be ikwerres not igbos until the day Nigeria splits,everybody go dey find big brother to attach himself to avoid being assimilated into the wrong nation I pray they get rejected by the larger igbo nation because they are bini..

16 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by MusaChukwudi: 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2020
iddonla:

where will all this take us to?

There is no US!

Stay in your own lane, your land, your state!

Igbo land is your homeland

7 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by MusaChukwudi: 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2020
Racoon:
Governor Wike have a right to his ethnic identity but must never forget that hating on the Igbo tribe does not in any way make us less Igbos.Ken Saro-Wiwa & the Ogonis made the same mistake but till today they are regretting it.

We must not agree in all things but there are some things that intersect all of us-oppression & marginalization by a common enemy

Wike is not Igbo, na by force?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Anyiamaka: 2:30pm On Nov 12, 2020
This is the man they said pulls all the shots in PDP....I am not impressed. He doesn't sound very intelligent and in 7minutes he said the same thing over 4 times. Is he that poor in knowledge?

Give me Amaechi! The guy is smart n knowledgeable.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by MusaChukwudi: 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2020
iddonla:

i am yoruba like you..lets preach love always and not hate

Ffk off

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by JAMO84: 2:38pm On Nov 12, 2020
Igbo already has enough population, adding one Nyesom Wike would not make any difference.

10 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Numismatic(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2020
HAccord:

Igbos are not forcing ikwerre minorities into any alliance. They are the ones stealing Igbo language, names and identity. When they commit crimes at the national or international level, people will say 'omo Ibo don commit another one'. The whole of the Igbo race bears the brunt. So Igbos need to be very concerned. These Ikwerres are descendants of Bini people who migrated during the slavery era from the Bini empire or even possibly with some traces of yoruba genes, yet they are keen bearing Igboid names.

The solution- Relinguinization of Ikwerre ethnocultural system. It can be done. Even Rotimi Ramaechi have shown them they can start renaming themselves to do away the vestigates of Igbo toga little by little.

Wike can start by budgeting like 200 billion for the project and incentivizing his Ikwerre people. He can say, any father renames his child with a Bini name gets 1 million naira. If you are Ikwerre and has a child bearing Emeka and renames him Osahon, you get 1 million naira, if you have 5 kids, that's 5 million naira. This would do a lot of magic. Even N100,000 per child will help the re-bininization revolution in a massive way.

Incentivization worked during the civil war when Gowon and Fulanis allowed them to keep their lives for denying to be Igbos, it would still work today and will help stop all these confusion and put to rest the quagmire and everyone will be happy.

If indeed ikweres are not igbos, how come the bear igbo names, speak a dialect of igbo?have same market days with ibos! In the North, there are alot of tribes who speak same language, Hausa, even bear Hausa names yet their traditions are distinct and different from the Hausas. It's not the same with Ikweres. What happened to their bini heritage? All these boils down to the Civil War which the igbos lost, making alot of people refuse to identify themselves as ibos because of the stigma the igbos have been enduring in this shithole called Nigeria. If the igbos won the war, idiots like wike would have been amongst those screaming they are igbos. And for the other fools like Afamded, they should get a life. Whether Ikweres agree the are ibos or not, that's their bloody business.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Golan007: 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2020
Wike isn't Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Numismatic(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2020
Afamed:

That's what they know how to do best. They never stay peacefully with their hosts.

Dont be stupid

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by TruthHurts1(m): 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
Whether you like it or not, Nigeria will still dissolve with or without IPOB and you wretched aboki beggars will really suffer

Afamed:
Wike the Slayer of terrorist IPoB group

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Pecuman: 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
HAccord:

Oga let's forget all these patronizing gesture. Ikwerre (Iwhuruoha/ Iwhuruosa) are not Igbo, we know it, they know it. The only problem is that took our names without our permission. That's why we have this quagmire.
An Ikwerre man who came to seek a job in my company identified himself as Arochukwu man because he grew up in Abia. He knew he wouldn't get the job if he identified as an Ikwerreman because Ikwerre youths are known to have very bad work ethics and temperament. He ended up stealing from the company, we only got to know when the police traced him to his village in Ikwerre LGA.

The fact they can easily switch their identity whenever they like in order to profit from it is what they seem to be enjoying like chameleons.

Wike himself cannot claim not to have heard people call him an Igbo man before 2019 elections but he kept quiet because Igbo identity was beneficial for him to win 2019 elections. grin
Elections are gone now and he is back to being a non-Igbo man. If he were that confident, he should have made all these anti-Igbo comments and behaviour before 2019, let's see how far he would have gone. Very dubious thug. grin

Let him use Rivers billions to import Bini teachers to teach Ikwere people their forgotten forefathers' language, he has only 3 more years to do this. E nor suppose hard na.

Any historical document that identifie all the other people today called Igbo as one group will also include Ikwerre as Igbo. They only really started not liking the name Igbo after civil war.

Maybe it is because of their "bad work ethics and temperament" maybe it is because of they are in another state (on this front I have seen people try to say Anioma are not Igbo but Anioma always say they are Igbo), but before 1969 anybody that will identify Igbo as an ethnic group will include Ikwerre there. Maybe as you said they just said they were Igbo for politics but similar things have happened like in Yorubaland, Egba didn't used to be called Yoruba but now are. Maybe the reverse happened with Ikwerre.

However, as I said before, if they don't want to be Igbo nobody will force them, we have said this before and if other Igbos too agree that Ikwerre are no longer Igbo, they should be permanently booted out.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Odingo1: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2020
MAD Ikwere man
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
gidgiddy:
Ikwerre not being Igbo all depends on the Ikwerre you meet. An Ikwerre man and former Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, will tell the whole world that he is an Igbo man. Another Ikwerre Governor like Wike will say he is not Igbo

Meanwhile, an Ikwerre man called Uche Okwukwu is Ohanaeze Secretary general while another Ikwerre man called Elechi Amadi wrote a book to say Ikwerres are not Igbos

Its for Ikwerres to go and sort out whatever ethnic crisis that has engulfed them

Okwukwu is just feeding fat on una lean purse.

No wonder obiano always boycotts such useless gathering.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by charsola: 3:47pm On Nov 12, 2020
But former governor Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi said he is Igbo, so who is fooling who? uote author=seunmsg post=95956898]Very interesting interview. Apart from emphatically declaring that he’s not Igbo, I like the part where he claimed that the head of ipob is one small boy whose name he can’t remember grin grin grin. I’m also glad he acknowledged the cosmopolitan nature of Rivers state and rubbished the claim by ipob that they made him governor.

At least, those always doing attache by force can now give it a rest. Ikwerres are not Igbos and so be it. They are a distinct ethnic group in Nigeria. We should all respect who they are instead of forcing another identity on them. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by orisa37: 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2020
WIKE IS RIGHT.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:52pm On Nov 12, 2020
tartar9:
The land grabbers,the culture/tribe grabbers. They have nothing to be proud of hence they keep grabbing others as theirs.
Ikwerre and Igbos are same and one.
Just like YorubaFulani of Ilorin and Afonjas of Ilorin. Simple

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by gidgiddy: 3:55pm On Nov 12, 2020
The way I see it is that there is serious identity crisis amongst the Ikwerre people. You an Ikwerre man, he says he is Igbo. You meet another Ikwerre man, he says he is Bini. You meet the third Ikwerre man, he says he is neither Igbo nor Bini, he is just Ikwerre.

The Ikwerre people need to do soul searching and sort out this identity crisis that has engulfed them

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by iboboyswag(m): 3:57pm On Nov 12, 2020
MJluv:
You don't cure a headache by cutting of the head. That the majority of Ikwerres now say they are not Igbos does not nullify the igboness in them and neither will it validate an ostracization from the Igbo mother tongue.

Of course we all know that their(Ikwerres) stance now was preconceived and propagated by partisan politics and the need to stay relevant in this ever evolving multi ethno/religious nay political enclave called Nigeria.

A Fulani man, whether in Nigeria, Niger, Sudan or where have you is still a Fulani. Even if dialectal variances may have arisen due to their diverse locations and the influence of the sociocultural groups surrounding them.

Thank you for this submission. You just took the words out of my mouth. Whether they choose to agree or not, their linguistic and cultural heritage speaks otherwise.

No matter how fast and far you run, you can't run past your shadow. Ikwerre's Igbo heritage and the ikewerre man are inseparable irrespective of his present political stance fuel by his desire for relevance in the Nigerian chessboard.

Ikwerre is Igbo! Anybody who chooses to disagree is only playing to the political gallery and it is OK.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 12, 2020
Wike just earned our respect.
Stand on what you believe in and stick to it.
Ikwerres are not igbos and so be it.
Case closed

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by mightyhazel: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2020
Thats his opinion and must be respected
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by HAccord: 4:36pm On Nov 12, 2020
Numismatic:

If indeed ikweres are not igbos, how come the bear igbo names, speak a dialect of igbo?have same market days with ibos! In the North, there are alot of tribes who speak same language, Hausa, even bear Hausa names yet their traditions are distinct and different from the Hausas. It's not the same with Ikweres. What happened to their bini heritage? All these boils down to the Civil War which the igbos lost, making alot of people refuse to identify themselves as ibos because of the stigma the igbos have been enduring in this shithole called Nigeria. If the igbos won the war, idiots like wike would have been amongst those screaming they are igbos. And for the other fools like Afamded, they should get a life. Whether Ikweres agree the are ibos or not, that's their bloody business.

Oga I have previously argued the same way as you have. But look at this way, if a son says his biological father is not his real father but points to another man as his father because of certain pecuniary benefits, then his biological father has every right to disown that bastard son.

Who sabi Ikwerre? how many exploits have they done to bring pride to the Great Igbo nation apart from cultism, political killings and drinking tombo. Name 5 internationally acclaimed Ikwerre person of repute in any field?
They should be begging to identify as Igbos not the other way round. Study them properly, they have nothing to offer the Igbo nation apart from creating confusion everywhere.

For public information, Ikwerre are not Igbo, they are the descendants of Iwhuruosa a Bini slave who escaped his captors via the tributaries of River Niger and landed in ancient Igboland. They later would modify the name to 'Iwhuruoha' as the Igbos they met would pronounce the name of their progenitor. Later they came to be known as Ikwerre and I will tell you how.

In Igbo the word Ikwerre means 'I agree/accept', the Igbo gave them that name because when they were looking for land to settle after escaping from Bini, anywhere the Igbo gave them to settle, they thank their Igbo hosts by saying 'I kwerre', a corruption of the phrase the phrase 'Ayi kwerre' which means 'We agree/accept' in Igbo.

That's the true hidden story of how Ndi Ikwerre came to be where they are today. Go and ask any honest old man around Imo/river axis. I'm from that area myself, they'll tell you- Ndi Ikwerre abughi Ndigbo, ha biara-abia. They are not Igbos, they are escapee slaves from ancient Bini kingdom.

They are just not keen in making their Bini heritage public because it undermines them as descendants of Bini slaves but prefer to align with Igbo identity only when it suits them because of the majority status that Ndigbo enjoy.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by chrisblack: 4:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
YoonSung59:
Wicked man
says you. All because he did not deny is root

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Nigeria @59: 9 Pictures That Will Make You Weep For Nigeria / Kogi Governorship Election Results From Polling Units / Seyi Tinubu’s N340 Million Richard Mille Wristwatch Stuns Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.