Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo (78000 Views)

Wike Clarifies Peter Obi 'endorsement' / BREAKING: Tinubu's Biggest Confusion About Northern Politics (Photos) / We Are Not Igbo– Dr Ojieh, National President Izu Anioma. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
That is what you want to believe. The alternative thought feels threatening to you
Yes it's threatening to me. I am fighting for my children
We are brothers, we once shared the same LGA with them.
Our enemies will want to capitalize on this foolish and unnecessary division to capture us one day the same thing they did to our oil after cutting us off our brothers in the upland.

Hope you know that the north control 80%of our oil which wouldn't have been possible if we were together as igbos and if our forefathers were not deceived
Hope you also know that Zamfara controls it gold while SS don't control its own oil
If we cooperate with the upland igbos these things wouldn't be happening but instead some of us are being used to to stoke division so that the pillaging of SS can continue

Our only remedy is to unite with the upland igbos for total freedom if not we will be overan one day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2020
bigfish3k:

Yes it's threatening to me. I am fighting for my children
We are brothers, we once shared the same LGA with them.
Our enemies will want to capitalize on this foolish and unnecessary division to capture us one day the same thing they did to our oil after cutting us off our brothers in the upland.

Hope you know that the north control 80%of our oil which wouldn't have been possible if we were together as igbos and if our forefathers were not deceived
Hope you also know that Zamfara controls it gold while SS don't control its own oil
The problem with you folk is your approach to problems is always emotional. You do not strategize and think of a plan that will work when it comes to political issues. You rely on sentiments that are self defeating.

Will this approach get you any closer to your goal with the Ikwerres?

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by gidgiddy: 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
Please do not quote with your JSS1 logic

In your mind you think you are making sense

Clearly you are badly educated

Well Im sure if you are asked by a foreigner which ethnic group in Nigeria says 'bia' when they want to say come, you wont say Ikwerre grin grin

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 4:58pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
The problem with you folk is your approach to problems is always emotional. You do not strategize and think of a plan that will work when it comes to political issues. You rely on sentiments that are self defeating.

OK suggest an approach
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:06pm On Nov 14, 2020
bigfish3k:

OK suggest an approach
Why should I ? You are what you are .
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by pazienza(m): 5:08pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

The predominant and overwhelming number of Ikwerre said they are not Igbo

What is my evidence?
As part f independence negotiation before 1960 there was a colonial commission in the 1950s. The Willinks Commission.

It was attended by minority groups afraid that they would be marginalised.

The Ikwerre were represented. Was any other know Igbo group represented?
the NCNC imposed a candidate from ABA in the 1965 election.
The Ikwerre reacted by fielding an independent candidate Ikwunga Wonodi. who disgraced the ABA man Elugwaraonu.
Ogbakor Ikwerre is older than Ohanaeze
In 1979 the Ikwerre secured recognition in the 1979 constitution as a distinct group . We cannot pretend that a majority of Ikwerres identify as Igbo. Stop deceiving yourself

Ikwerre was recognized as a clan within the Igbo ethnic group by Willink commission report, likewise Ekpeye.
Stop disgracing yourself.
See below:

3. “It is important to remember that of this (Ogoja) Province’s 1,082,000 inhabitants, 723,000 are Ibos, almost entirely in Abakaliki and Afikpo (Divisions), while the census classifies 350,000 as “Other Nigerian Tribes.”

4. The Rivers Province …includes the two divisions of Brass and Degema, both overwhelmingly Ijaw, and the Ogoni Division. The former Rivers Division also includes over 300,000 Ibos of whom 250,000 are in Ahoada Division and 45,000 in Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt is a town of recent growth and of rapidly increasing importance; it is built on land that blonged originally to an outlying branch of the Ibo tribe, the Diobus, but is largely inhabited by the Ibos from the interior who have come to trade or seek employment….Of the total 747,000 in the Rivers province, 305,000 are Ibos, 240,000 are Ijaws and 156,000 are Ogonis.”

5. “The strip to the south of the Ibo block, is physically, divided by a block of Ibo territory, tipped by the important Ibo town of Port Harcourt and tribally divided between the Ijaws and the Ogonis.”

6. “In the whole of this non-Ibo area there is present in varying degree some fear of being over-run, commercially and politically, by the Ibos….. if Ahoada and Port Harcourt, which are really Ibo, are considered with the solid centre of Ibo population, there are 54 seats for the Ibo area and 30 for COR (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers) in (Eastern Regional House of Assembly).”

https://www.nairaland.com/5851640/eastern-region-series-cor-movement
The discussion was in the above thread.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by bigfish3k: 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
Why should I ? You are what you are .
You should help out naa
Or do you like the plight of my people?
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

Ikwerre was recognized as a clan within the Igbo ethnic group by Willink commission report, likewise Ekpeye.
Stop disgracing yourself.
See below:

3. “It is important to remember that of this (Ogoja) Province’s 1,082,000 inhabitants, 723,000 are Ibos, almost entirely in Abakaliki and Afikpo (Divisions), while the census classifies 350,000 as “Other Nigerian Tribes.”

4. The Rivers Province …includes the two divisions of Brass and Degema, both overwhelmingly Ijaw, and the Ogoni Division. The former Rivers Division also includes over 300,000 Ibos of whom 250,000 are in Ahoada Division and 45,000 in Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt is a town of recent growth and of rapidly increasing importance; it is built on land that blonged originally to an outlying branch of the Ibo tribe, the Diobus, but is largely inhabited by the Ibos from the interior who have come to trade or seek employment….Of the total 747,000 in the Rivers province, 305,000 are Ibos, 240,000 are Ijaws and 156,000 are Ogonis.”

5. “The strip to the south of the Ibo block, is physically, divided by a block of Ibo territory, tipped by the important Ibo town of Port Harcourt and tribally divided between the Ijaws and the Ogonis.”

6. “In the whole of this non-Ibo area there is present in varying degree some fear of being over-run, commercially and politically, by the Ibos….. if Ahoada and Port Harcourt, which are really Ibo, are considered with the solid centre of Ibo population, there are 54 seats for the Ibo area and 30 for COR (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers) in (Eastern Regional House of Assembly).”

https://www.nairaland.com/5851640/eastern-region-series-cor-movement
The discussion was in the above thread.

You can tell these stupid lies to children and illiterates

The same thing Ojukwu and Nnamdi Kanu specialize in telling bold face lies with no shame

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by pazienza(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

You are looking for a target for your life frustration

Why all the abuse?

Debate like an adult

Asari Dokubo knows a lot about the trade in Igbos

Did the Aro people ever use he word "confederacy" to describe their existence?
I think dulosis is a more accurate description

Asari Dokubo is a descendant of a Slave merchant from Abam in Abia state.
He said so himself.
No non Igbo group ever ventured into Igbo hinterland to capture slaves.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

Asari Dokubo is a descendant of a Slave merchant from Abam in Abia state.
He said so himself.
No non Igbo group ever ventured into Igbo hinterland to capture slaves.
The Iboms/Ibibio did for centuries

stop kidding yourself

Was slavery a form of NYSC where people travelled to camp?
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by pazienza(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

You can tell these stupid lies to children and illiterates

The same thing Ojukwu and Nnamdi Kanu specialize in telling bold face lies with no shame

When cornered with facts. This is what your Yoruba mind comes up with.

What a shame. Yoruba man wants to die on top Igbo/Igboid issue. Crying more than the bereaved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:27pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

When cornered with facts. This is what your Yoruba mind comes up with.

What a shame. Yoruba man wants to die on top Igbo/Igboid issue. Crying more than the bereaved.
Facts ??
What facts? facts from where exactly? What is the source ?

You are a shameless liar

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by pazienza(m): 5:31pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:
The Iboms/Ibibio did for centuries

stop kidding yourself

Aro chukwu people actually captured and subdued Ibom people and then acculturated them into Igbos.
Not part of Igbo history I'm proud of, but its what it is.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:34pm On Nov 14, 2020
A fundamental problem many of you have is you mistake language for identity.

Often it is just a lingua france as English is for us in Nigeria or Nairaland, as Arabic is in North Africa and Swahili is in East Africa or Hausa in Northern Nigeria

Most Fulani in Nigeria are primarily Hausa speakers

That does not make them Hausa

To pretend that the Abam or Aro slave traders were Igbo is the height of self deception
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by 35824L: 5:38pm On Nov 14, 2020
Iboes are trying hard to claim Ikwere by force just to steal Port Harcourt from them but e no go work. Ikwere sold iboes as slaves in those days. They are actually Superior to Igbos.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:39pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

Aro chukwu people actually captured and subdued Ibom people and then acculturated them into Igbos.

That is a silly lie

Till today the ruling class in Aro are of external Akamkpa origin just like the Fulani in Kano

They brought in their religion cults Nsibidi etc

You can only sell this bluff to ignorant folk

Whatever happened to Igbo enwe Eze?? Your ubiquitous claim that you are republican and have no kings

Your claim that Arochukwu capture Ibom is what like a child capturing his mother naked with another man and saying they were praying. That is the height of self deception

Arochukwu till today is ruled by an invader dynasty

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 5:44pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

Honestly reading this I have nothing but pity for you and folk.

Your capacity for lies and self deception is boundless

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by pazienza(m): 5:52pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

That is a silly lie

Till today the ruling class in Aro are of external Akamkpa origin just like the Fulani in Kano

They brought in their religion cults Nsibidi etc

You can only sell this bluff to ignorant folk

Whatever happened to Igbo enwe Eze?? Your ubiquitous claim that you are republican and have no kings

Your claim that Arochukwu capture Ibom is what like a child capturing his mother naked with another man and saying they were praying. That is the height of self deception

Arochukwu till today is ruled by an invader dynasty

Omonnakoda.
You are too old for this type of clowning.

Arochukwu history is not a secret it's all over the internet.

Igbo enwe eze doesn't mean Igbos had no kings on clan and town level.
It means there is no single king for all Igbos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by aribisala0(m): 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2020
pazienza:

Omonnakoda.
You are too old for this type of clowning.

Arochukwu history is not a secret it's all over the internet.

Igbo enwe eze doesn't mean Igbos had no kings on clan and town level.
It means there is no single king for all Igbos
You are right it is no secret

Akamkpa kings reign in Arochukwu

Alll Igbos?

Since when did the concept of ONE IGBO arise?

Clearly you do not know your history

There is no such thing

Guy give it up and stop the childish confabulation

So you are no longer republican ?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by whirlwind7(m): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2020
samuk:

Why will anyone deny their heritage and then put in an effort to fabricate a history linking them to Benin. It doesn't make sense. Ikwerre can even gain more from claiming Igbo heritage in a multi ethnic state as Rivers because the millions of Igbos that resides there will always give them their political support not to talk of the wider Igbo nation.

There is no reason for Ikwerre to deny being Igbo today because they are in a different state and region, the fear of domination by other Igbo is no longer there as it were when they were part of the old eastern region.

All these denials point to one FACT, that is they were forced or coerced in the past to claim Igbo identity and as soon as they got their freedom from the east, they revert back to their original identity. This is also probably the reason they changed the names of their towns to non Igbo names after Igbo lost the civil war.

Who has the right to draw up the criteria of identifying an Igbo person, what makes someone an Igbo, is it by similarities in name and language? Can former president Gooluck Jonathan pass as an English man. Can Donald Trump be regarded as an English man?

The Scottish, Irish and Welsh people all have similar name and language as the English but don't consider themselves English.

Hehehehe.
At the bold.... so where did you get this FACT from?

People just pop out to post incredible, bogus comments and label it as fact, with absolutely no data to support your claim.

Ikwerres said they aren't Igbos, so be it. What else is there to argue about? You bringing this wild theory you call fact is what I can't begin to comprehend.
Igbos forced Ikwerres to be Igbos in the past? First time I'm hearing such mind numbing claim. Never read that shit anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by IDENNAA(m): 7:08pm On Nov 14, 2020
aribisala0:

lmao. Still the shameless old man that is obsessed with Igbo. Not a single proof to validate all the wild claims. You shameless Igbo hating dregg !

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 12:12am On Nov 15, 2020
The greatest fun in this thread is that an Aribisala from Lagos state who lives in far away UK is telling us the history of the Ikwerres.

Aribisala talks about slavery of the Igbo but ignores the fact that the population of descendants of his Yoruba slaves in Brazil and the Caribbean Islands are nearly more than the population of Yoruba in two Yoruba states in Nigeria.

To make Ikwerre and other oil producing areas of the SS zone become tiny, divided among themselves, and isolated from the bigger Igbo ethnic group, so that it becomes easier to exploit the crude oil resources in the SS, that’s is all that spurs Aribisala and others like him, to have sleepless nights here.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Christistruth00: 2:51am On Nov 15, 2020
Nchenches:

Lol.
Therefore, the Igbo descendants of slaves in Ikwerre land are still there, and are still bearing their Igbo identity, according to you.

And those descendants make up nearly all of Ikwerre population because the surnames and middle names of Ikwerre people are Igbo. They speak a dialect of Igbo.
Their customs and traditions are Igbo. They share same religious beliefs with Igbo.
Do you see how brainless you are?
Go and tell Wike to make his name become Rwike in order to be different from Igbo, as was done after the civil war when R was added to the front of Igbo names of towns in Ikwerre to make them not be Igbo.

With your analysis Edo,Itshekiri and Egbirra will automatically be called Yoruba. You need to learn to respect people's identity if you want to be respected to

America and UK have same ancestors and both speak English but are different nations.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Nchenches: 8:27am On Nov 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

With your analysis Edo,Itshekiri and Egbirra will automatically be called Yoruba. You need to learn to respect people's identity if you want to be respected to

America and UK have same ancestors and both speak English but are different nations.

One with Yoruba surname, speaks a Yoruba dialect, shares same cultures with other Yorubas - that person is a Yoruba, but he/she can be a national of Brazil or Great Britain or indegene of Kogi state of northern region of Nigeria.

One with Igbo surname, speaks Igbo dialect, shares same culture with the Igbo but lives in Haiti, Gabon or Southsouth region of Nigeria is Igbo.

The drive by the winners of Nigeria’s civil war to fragment the oil producing areas in order to easily get more booties from the oil producing areas in the southsouth - that is behind the “Ikwerre no be Igbo.”

An English-American can’t be renamed French-American or German-American. An English-American remains English-American, speaks English language that is native only to England, but speaks English language with American accent. Every summer, the affluent ones visit their roots in England on holidays. They don’t suffer identity crisis like Wike. Mere seeing Wike’s difficulties of speech in denying his Igbo identity shows the level of identity crisis he suffers.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by samuk: 11:58am On Nov 15, 2020
Nchenches:

One with Yoruba surname, speaks a Yoruba dialect, shares same cultures with other Yorubas - that person is a Yoruba, but he/she can be a national of Brazil or Great Britain or indegene of Kogi state of northern region of Nigeria.

One with Igbo surname, speaks Igbo dialect, shares same culture with the Igbo but lives in Haiti, Gabon or Southsouth region of Nigeria is Igbo.

The drive by the winners of Nigeria’s civil war to fragment the oil producing areas in order to easily get more booties from the oil producing areas in the southsouth - that is behind the “Ikwerre no be Igbo.”

An English-American can’t be renamed French-American or German-American. An English-American remains English-American, speaks English language that is native only to England, but speaks English language with American accent. Every summer, the affluent ones visit their roots in England on holidays. They don’t suffer identity crisis like Wike. Mere seeing Wike’s difficulties of speech in denying his Igbo identity shows the level of identity crisis he suffers.

Whilst it's true that there are English-American in America but these migrant group can not force other groups such as Germany-American to accept English heritage because they share the same English language, name and culture.

Recent Igbo migrants to Rivers or Igbos in the south east can't force Ikwerre (Rivers-Benin) descendants to become Igbo because they share similarity in language and names with Igbos.

If there are indigenous Igbo communities in Rivers, the people should stand up and tell us the names of their communities and history, it's not for someone from the south east to be claiming Rivers as an extension of Igbo. It's the Igbos that are claiming Rivers and not Rivers claiming Igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by chrisblack: 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2020
HAccord:

Yes Iwhuruosa the progenitor of the Ikwerres was from Bini. It's the truth they only say in their bedrooms because of the circumstances with which they escaped Bini.

When Wike said 'No I am not Igbo', why didn't he expantiate on his genealogy as a Bini man? There are stuffs he doesn't want the world to know and that's what I am revealing to you now. grin
the guy was not a slave but a prince
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 1:10am On Nov 16, 2020
AbijaJ:

There are indigenous Yorubas in Edo state. They are known as the Akoko Edos. They share same cultural and linguistic affinity with their kin (the Akoko) in Ondo state.

You are very wrong. There are no indegenous Yorubas anywhere in Edo State and Akoko-Edos are not Yorubas. The Akoko tag in the name doesn't connote Yorubanness but only indicates that they are geographical neighbours with Akokos. This thing has been repeatedly trashed on NL threads.
https://www.nairaland.com/2097102/brief-historical-origin-ibillo-community
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 4:21am On Nov 16, 2020
okwusdidi:
There are many tribes in Nigeria.But one tribe Nigerians are obsessed about are the Igbos.Why?
Because Igbo is the only tribe that is obsessed with baseless hatred for every other tribe.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 4:33am On Nov 16, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:
but when Igbos said they're not Nigerians, nobody wants to here that, why??
Because Igbos actually invented, propagated and practically coerced all other tribes into the one-Nigeria philosophy. It was Igbos who argued that the unity of Nigeria was perpetual and non-negotiable as at when all other tribes wished that the marriage broke up. So Igbos can't later suddenly turn round to deny Nigerianism without first explaining their intention behind their initial rabid quest for one-Nigeria.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 4:39am On Nov 16, 2020
TheLionofLasigi:

He was right, but his people are doing exactly what he blamed the igbos for...even worse
But Igbos killed him unjustly.
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 5:13am On Nov 16, 2020
Dedetwo:

This is the plank of Nigerian history which kept my eyes rolling for a long time. The jackasses made utmost sacrifice to keep Ndigbo in the silly One-Nigeria against the wishes of Ndigbo.
But wasn't it Ndigbo that invented the silly one-Nigeria doctrine in the first instance?
Re: I Am Not Igbo - Wike Clarifies Confusion About His Name And Link To Igbo by Deadlytruth(m): 6:00am On Nov 16, 2020
Ogbuu101:

Oga,you mustn't argue everything.
Most of you have never spent more than 2 weeks outside your state but una go de pontificate on things you don't know.
There is a sizeable population of indigenous Yorubas in Edo state.
I shared a flat wt one of them once and got to know many of them.
You exactly are the one who has never travelled out of your state. There are no indegenous Yorubas anywhere in Edo State.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Nigeria @59: 9 Pictures That Will Make You Weep For Nigeria / Kogi Governorship Election Results From Polling Units / Seyi Tinubu’s N340 Million Richard Mille Wristwatch Stuns Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.