Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate (5973 Views)

We Are Surprised Makinde Did This For Islam Despite Being A Christian’ / We Are Not Surprised With Bawa's suspension - Transparency International / South Africans Are Surprised That Buhari Is Going UK Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate by zhike: 9:42pm On Nov 17, 2020
Minxie:

I think selling fruits etc on the streets is enough for survival but not for prosperity. Although it may put food on the table in Nigeria, it's not very helpful in SA where things are a lot more formal. For example: how are you gonna get a mortgage when you're a hawker? So you'll forever just sell fruit and earn the same amount of money while employing one or two people at most.

However, if you were to (for example) start a partnership or company that not only sells fruit but makes various fruit based products... now that's called prospering.

There's nothing wrong with selling fruit etc on the streets but it's just not something South Africans do much because it doesn't really sustain our living standards. I know many people who informally sell things but they do it on the side and from home as an extra income because a formal occupation is more beneficial. Or there are people who start informally but they want to become formal businesses.

I wouldn't call them mediocre, i just think that maybe it works for them in their circumstances. Although it doesn't do much for the economy...
If you sell on the street with plans to grow your business, i can support that.
But other people sell on the street for 10 years, what do you call that?
Re: South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate by Minxie(f): 12:17am On Nov 18, 2020
zhike:

If you sell on the street with plans to grow your business, i can support that.
But other people sell on the street for 10 years, what do you call that?

To be honest, it also bothers me that people do it for so long without growing their business. I think it has a lot to do with culture. In SA it's not considered a successful business if it doesn't grow or expand or if it doesn't create employment or other opportunities. But I think what's preventing people from expanding their businesses in Nigeria is maybe the laws and policies.

Although I find it strange that many Nigerians in SA don't expand their businesses either even though it shows potential...

I just won't call it mediocre because we don't understand their circumstances and maybe small trading is all their circumstances allow for.

I often look in shock when many people here save up millions to leave their country when those millions could be used to start a successful business venture in Nigeria. Not a small shop but an actual company that could render services or produce food or healthcare products.

But I appreciate the fact that you are asking the right questions in order to understand.

2 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Surprised With Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate by zhike: 6:54pm On Nov 18, 2020
Minxie:

To be honest, it also bothers me that people do it for so long without growing their business. I think it has a lot to do with culture. In SA it's not considered a successful business if it doesn't grow or expand or if it doesn't create employment or other opportunities. But I think what's preventing people from expanding their businesses in Nigeria is maybe the laws and policies.

Although I find it strange that many Nigerians in SA don't expand their businesses either even though it shows potential...

I just won't call it mediocre because we don't understand their circumstances and maybe small trading is all their circumstances allow for.

I often look in shock when many people here save up millions to leave their country when those millions could be used to start a successful business venture in Nigeria. Not a small shop but an actual company that could render services or produce food or healthcare products.

But I appreciate the fact that you are asking the right questions in order to understand.
Thanks a lot for your good response, I understand and agree with your thoughts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Leads In Investment Announcements In 2021 At $8.7 Billion – NIPC / Tribunal Affirms Election Of Tambuwal As Senator / Why I Visited Bankole - Police IGP (Ringim)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.