Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,636 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices (27492 Views)

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / See 10 Interesting Facts About Igbo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by christopheru(m): 12:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
I'm from Arondizuogu in Imo State, I can categorically tell you that our bride price doesn't exceed N200. In short, my sis married this year, bride price was N25. Total expenses on the list was not even up to N150k. Abeg make una no dey paint other tribes black naa. It's not fair. Igbo bride price is not and can never be expensive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ideadoctor(m): 12:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Shut up u Moronic maggot, Desist from igbo cultural matters, its above u.
Only an idiot can indulge in a topic he has ZERO knowledge about.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ideadoctor(m): 12:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
chisos! which one is " moronic maggot " slowpoke itself is an insult, you now added maggot to it,bro you wicked
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Cammo: 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
You need to see the smile on the face of a father with 5 or 6 daughters in Igboland; especially when these daughters are beautiful. He's not smiling because he's a proud father. He's smiling because he has future investments.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Olatlaccon(m): 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2020
CzarChris:
This is as real as daylight, my guy bought a full box of george wrappers and they called the fattest woman in the community to stand on top of it and compress it further to make space for more wrappers. Before they accepted to box of wrapper.

Which kin virgin? They divorced after 3years of marriage.
What....the marriage was a poverty alleviation...if I was that guy I swear I won't marry 5.8m too much abeg Bleep love o and no be virgin...I wouldn't sign the divorce papers if it was me...my money no go waste
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Depressed101: 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Keep quiet.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by sylve11: 12:14pm On Dec 09, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ....
Ogbeni forget all this long bla bla
What shall it profit a man to pay 200 naira for bride price

But last last them go still come shock you with list way you nor fit afford

loud am. cool
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ebubeokoro: 12:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
With the big list your Yoruba brothers still run to Ibo land to marry.... receive sense

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by PLENTYNAIR(m): 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
coolangel54:
In my hometown of Amaekpu, Ohafia, brideprice is just #60. The items on the list were all monetized and beat down. My husband's people came prepared and bargained very well the items on the list and my father was very firm with his kinsmen that he isn't selling his daughter.

In all, both wedding and traditional, we didn't spend above #600,000. Dowry was paid a day before the wedding and the next day being Saturday, both ceremonies were done officially.

In all, do not generalize as tradition differs from one place to another. Secondly, if the father of the bride is the best father in the world, he won't sell off his daughter and will pre-warn his kinsmen not to over task his inlaws.

Otutuoma ndioma!

Well said. I think people just generalise base on "hear say".

I remember then when I first got the list from my in-laws, it looked overwhelming until I showed my dad. He just laughed and said "you obviously can't spend more than you have afford. Everything is subject to negotiation". I ended up negotiating the list. It was as though they were also expecting me to negotiate with them.

One important thing I did and will always advise others to do is sending cash ahead instead of buying the items on the list yourself. It will save you a lot of time and troubles.

In my case the bride price was not on my list and could only be negotiated and paid during the trad. The dowry was said to be 10M which I interpreted and negotiated for 10k.

To cut the story short, I married an Igbo Lady from Idemili North of Anambra state and I didn't spend up to 400k for my traditional marriage including celebration and all.

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by sylve11: 12:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
NAETTE:

To move the yams to their barns

grin grin cool
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Jefferyhi86(m): 12:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
Oga suit urself oooo, tribal advocate
Logan23:

I have more than enough grounds to correct very stupid and idiotic comments as long as concerns anyone saying rubbish about my tribe, culture and tradition
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by arnoldexpert(m): 12:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
NICE ONE
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Amotekun777: 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
I'll rather remain single if the ONLY availoble option for me is Igbo. No way in the world would I engage with pple that place excessive value on money and materiality. Such pple can and will do anything for money. angry

Okoro pple and their love for money. They literally sell their daughters $$$ to the highest bidder claiming some stupid traditions. Anything that involves excessive $$$$ ain't no tradition but, GREED! I was a best man at one of my childhood's wedding to an Igbo chic in Chicago some years back. We all waited for >4hrs while they're busy deliberating the bride price. angry Just imagine! Everyone was frustrated!

My friend's mom told me, that's what she's been warning my friend about. She kept wondering how people can ever place monetary value on their daughters?

I can have Igbos as friends NOT as family! cool

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Angelfrost(m): 12:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
PerfectlyPerfect:

The list is usually high but very very negotiable. You can be asked to bring 20 tubers of yam and you'll negotiate to 10 tubers. The fact is that you're not even expected to buy everything on the list

Thank you for clarifying, unlike the ones above tossing insults about as if I stole food from their mouths.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Amotekun777: 12:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ebubeokoro:
With the big list your Yoruba brothers still run to Ibo land to marry.... receive sense

WRONG! Igbos girls run to Yoruba guys to be civilized. After all 90% of Igbos already ran away to Yoruba lands for better living. angry

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Aguilar(m): 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Dont be a fool.
If u cant read n understand english language, then stay clear
well if you can read and understand "bleep off" then we gat no problem.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by LordOfTheGame: 12:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
Igbochief001:
Finally someone talks about this

1) in igbo land ...your village and your mom's village owns u , not your family ...your family is just caretakers ...so u must marry her from the village then family

2) most of the list given to you would be used for your traditional marriage , rice , drinks , and the rest

3) the list is made big very big like in my village so that u can't pay all , it's believed once u pay all the woman is yours for ever and u can do what ever u like

The idea is to give u a big list u can't pay ...so that u can owe your in-laws ...and with that treat your wife well

All you have to say is my in-laws this is what I have for now ...we know they don't complete the marriage of a woman ...we would keep paying the debt as long as I'm alive ...simple

4) it's insulting to pay the bride price that I are told , u should bargain it and beg them to accept what u have

Infact as a man your people would from vex and leave u would go and beg them and beg them to come back , and so forth it's just ceremony to show u are paying from your noise to get the beautiful flower

5) no body talks about what the girls people give to her , in my place mbaise , we buy her all her kitchen equipments , from the smallest to the biggest after her white weeding or her first delivery

Two for each delivery we go for omugu , they carry everything she and her husband people would eat for 3 months

Finally igbo weeding is nothing compared to kalabari, opobo bonny and okrika

Ise wu otu !
It is well with you nwanne.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Kennyswag: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2020
nijabazaar:

Peace..
peace too
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:
I want to create this post in order to disabuse the minds of nairalanders on the misconceptions about much-talked about igbo bride prices.
Contrary to the belief that igbo bride prices run into millions, the bride prices are usually a token. In my hometown in Arondizuogu, Imo State, it is about N200.

The misconception arises from the list given to family of the intending groom. That list is far different from the bride price.
Different people in igboland give different lists in igboland for the different groups in the village they come to marry - the daughters of the family (my 2 year old children get their shares in my place), the women, the youths and the elders. And there are options. You either bring the items or bring the money. Example, u can go to a community and they ask you to bring 10 big yams, another can ask for 20 kegs of palm wine, others can ask for coconut. And youths in my place must ask for a roll of cigarettes, benson or rothmas. And the groom has an option, either to buy them and bring according to specifications or just drop money.

Buying the items usually bring problem. U can buy 10 big yams, and they tell u that it is only 2 that are big, you have to pay for the other 8 'small ones'. U can buy Life and Hero drinks, and they say no, one must be Star, so some people will prefer to pay cash and will be taxed heavily.
All in all, all the issues will be settled, so no worries.

let other igbos and other nairalanders contribute.

In the olden days when there were no beers, expensive wrappers, etc what were intending grooms told to buy?.

Africans don't have culture, we keep modifying our culture and making up exploitative practices and calling them culture.

Before the white man discovered Africa, we were mostly farmers and hunters. How were marriages done in those days? Anything that deviates from the way marriages were done during this period is not culture anymore.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
Jefferyhi86:
Oga suit urself oooo, tribal advocate

Keep mute n quit talking more trash that u know nothing about
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by nurain150(m): 1:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
angryThe list is not part of the bride price but the bride price is part of the list angry na why Igbo or their allies plenty for runz.No offence intended
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
golddare:

Must your conversation start with insults?

Even the op did not argue with expensive list of items rather he only differentiate list from bride price.

It's your type that will be shouting and complaining about Police brutality but enjoys cyber bullying, I know your type.

Afonja, I know exactly what ur reply will start with if I open a thread and start spreading falsehood as yoruba culture.

Pls just keep away from IGBO culture and tradition, u know nothing about it.

Same way 100% of the igbos in nigeria don't talk about yoruba culture & tradition, we know nothing about it

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 09, 2020
Amotekun777:
I'll rather remain single if the ONLY availoble option for me is Igbo. No way in the world would I engage with pple that place excessive value on money and materiality. Such pple can and will do anything for money. angry

Okoro pple and their love for money. They literally sell their daughters $$$ to the highest bidder claiming some stupid traditions. Anything that involves excessive $$$$ ain't no tradition but, GREED! I was a best man at one of my childhood's wedding to an Igbo chic in Chicago some years back. We all waited for >4hrs while they're busy deliberating the bride price. angry Just imagine! Everyone was frustrated!

My friend's mom told me, that's what she's been warning my friend about. She kept wondering how people can ever place monetary value on their daughters?

I can have Igbos as friends NOT as family! cool

IGBO masturbator.

Have u ever seen an IGBO MAN commenting on anything relating with yoruba culture The answer is NO.

Same way, Keep away from IGBO cculture,U have zero knowledge about it.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 09, 2020
Amotekun777:

WRONG! Igbos girls run to Yoruba guys to be civilized. After all 90% of Igbos already ran away to Yoruba lands for better living. angry

It is actually yoruba boys that rush after igbo women. Davido is rushing an igbo girl, davidos grand dad rushed an igbo woman, FFK rushed an igbo woman, Gov of ondo state rushed an igbo woman too

Yoruba men know d worth of igbo women, that's why they rush them everyday

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Jefferyhi86(m): 1:10pm On Dec 09, 2020
Tell such to ur kinsmen. Tribal advocate
Logan23:

Keep mute n quit talking more trash that u know nothing about
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Amotekun777: 1:17pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

It is actually yoruba boys that rush after igbo women. Davido is rushing an igbo girl, davidos grand dad rushed an igbo woman, FFK rushed an igbo woman, Gov of ondo state rushed an igbo woman too

Yoruba men know d worth of igbo women, that's why they rush them everyday

Actually, it's the other way around, abeg. Did all these guys go to Igbo lands to meet these ladeis OR these ladies ran away from their savage okoro jungles in search of real men and civilization in the west? Igbo ladies all over the world have confirmed they prefer to be married to Yorubas. The ONLY issue is if their families (Yorubas) would accept them. Igbo women see Yoruba men as premium and top notch and would do anything to have them. cool

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by smokeyupu(m): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
Marrying from Igbo land is a form of modern day slavery where they actually SELL and transfer ownership of the cargo to the highest bidder!!!

But our brothers from that part are OK with the arrangement!! Igbo Kwenu!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Amotekun777: 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

IGBO masturbator.

Have u ever seen an IGBO MAN commenting on anything relating with yoruba culture The answer is NO.

Same way, Keep away from IGBO cculture,U have zero knowledge about it.

How dare Igbos have something to say against their Masters and Benefactors? cool Yorubas call the shots! cool

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Gracchus: 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Shut up. What concerns u in this thread discussing about igbos? Why are u here crying n making animal noises? Did we call u? Goan handle ur shiit and get away from.here
You be very stupid. Why did your tribeman tried to drag yoruba into this, you actually think I would have Comme nted on the thread if that dude didn't bring Yoru a into this. You people should handle your shit yourself, stop trying to involve other tribes, it's your headache.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Gracchus:
You be very stupid. Why did your tribeman tried to drag yoruba into this, you actually think I would have Comme nted on the thread if that dude didn't bring Yoru a into this. You people should handle your shit yourself, stop trying to involve other tribes, it's your headache.

Shut up, u must be very dumb

U are not supposed to even open the thread since it is an igbo matter. But trust Afonja nah, They must chook their mouth into igbo issue
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Amhappy(f): 1:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
I can relate,Nnobi is my hometown. One thing that have worked for my community and some others in Anambra is having a traditional marriage list written in the constitution of the town. You don't need a special list that can be manipulated by greedy folks.

pietrodark:
Cultures are different. I agree, piling up items on a list like you're selling your daughter doesn't make any sense.

But then, not all Igbo towns are the same, there are towns where you won't spend more than 100k on items on the list, and there are towns where you'll spend up to 500k, and even more.

I've attended a traditional wedding at Nnobi, the items they asked for were not up to 80k and the girls family handled the cooking for the event.

It's a serious concern everywhere, in Tiv I hear the traditional ruler made a decree that any family that takes anything more than 200k for everything concerning a traditional marriage would be in trouble.

This is how bad it's gotten, some families will use that chance to make every penny back. But then if the guy is calm with the girls father, he can get a lifeline. My uncle married from Amucha in Imo state. His wife's dad practically told him the things he should bring and asked him to forget the rest, that he would insist to the family elders that he doesn't want that.

Last last, na to pray say make ground soft for all men sha so we go fit marry wife wey God don ordain for person, because finally life no balance...

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ibrahim Chatta Umar Is Dead! Etsu Patigi Dies / Wolof People / Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.