Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices (27496 Views)

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / See 10 Interesting Facts About Igbo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Gracchus: 1:39pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Shut up, u must be very dumb

U are not supposed to even open the thread since it is an igbo matter. But trust Afonja nah, They must chook their mouth into igbo issue
Yiu must be mad, I should not openaa thread on a platform owned by a YORUBA MAN. Nonsense!! Y'llcan go and discuss your useless culture on Linda Ikeji blog. So far Seun continues to own this platform,iI, as a Yoruba man has the right to open any fuccking thread I like. Fuccking vagabonds!!

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by nnaemeka817(m): 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
Gbam
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2020
1x2x3:

After settling the long list which will likely be within the range of 500k to 1M are you still going to buy drinks, buy cow, canopies, cook food for the main function or once you settle the list then the brides family take charge?
u will still buy drinks and cook food

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Gracchus: 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ego2:
well love conquers all the same way it brought my grandparents ( igbo, yourba) together regardless of their tribes.. funny how You See other tribes stereotyping the igbos and yet they still intermarry... what a wonderful hate�
Y'll are good at pointing fingers. So y'll don't stereotype others huh?
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 1:56pm On Dec 09, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
I don’t think people are complaining about the bride price. The problem is the infamous list in which all the kindreds get together, write all their problems in life and hand it over to a suitor to purchase. grin grin

I feel sorry for ladies from Mbaise. Some people are too scared to get close enough to know the truth. If she tries, the man will think he is being reeled in for the kill.
/
extremely funny

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by motherfucker: 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:
I want to create this post in order to disabuse the minds of nairalanders on the misconceptions about much-talked about igbo bride prices.
Contrary to the belief that igbo bride prices run into millions, the bride prices are usually a token. In my hometown in Arondizuogu, Imo State, it is about N200.

The misconception arises from the list given to family of the intending groom. That list is far different from the bride price.
Different people in igboland give different lists in igboland for the different groups in the village they come to marry - the daughters of the family (my 2 year old children get their shares in my place), the women, the youths and the elders. And there are options. You either bring the items or bring the money. Example, u can go to a community and they ask you to bring 10 big yams, another can ask for 20 kegs of palm wine, others can ask for coconut. And youths in my place must ask for a roll of cigarettes, benson or rothmas. And the groom has an option, either to buy them and bring according to specifications or just drop money.

Buying the items usually bring problem. U can buy 10 big yams, and they tell u that it is only 2 that are big, you have to pay for the other 8 'small ones'. U can buy Life and Hero drinks, and they say no, one must be Star, so some people will prefer to pay cash and will be taxed heavily.
All in all, all the issues will be settled, so no worries.

let other igbos and other nairalanders contribute.

God bless you...

I did a thread on this 4 years ago...

here: https://www.nairaland.com/3275184/igbo-marriage-bride-price-put

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by coolangel54(f): 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
It is a shame on you if you think my man didn't get any assist from me. I AM NOT A PASSIVE WIFE NOR A HOUSEWIFE. It's unfortunate you got married to one. Take heart and bear your loss alone.
moneyest:

We

Did your ₦1 enter that 600k undecided

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Jefferyhi86(m): 2:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
You can tell ur kinsmen that, tribal advocate
Logan23:

Keep mute n quit talking more trash that u know nothing about
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by ottega(m): 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:
I want to create this post in order to disabuse the minds of nairalanders on the misconceptions about much-talked about igbo bride prices.
Contrary to the belief that igbo bride prices run into millions, the bride prices are usually a token. In my hometown in Arondizuogu, Imo State, it is about N200.

The misconception arises from the list given to family of the intending groom. That list is far different from the bride price.
Different people in igboland give different lists in igboland for the different groups in the village they come to marry - the daughters of the family (my 2 year old children get their shares in my place), the women, the youths and the elders. And there are options. You either bring the items or bring the money. Example, u can go to a community and they ask you to bring 10 big yams, another can ask for 20 kegs of palm wine, others can ask for coconut. And youths in my place must ask for a roll of cigarettes, benson or rothmas. And the groom has an option, either to buy them and bring according to specifications or just drop money.

Buying the items usually bring problem. U can buy 10 big yams, and they tell u that it is only 2 that are big, you have to pay for the other 8 'small ones'. U can buy Life and Hero drinks, and they say no, one must be Star, so some people will prefer to pay cash and will be taxed heavily.
this is not comprehensive enough, please do your reserch very well, cos Ave been to the east and I know what it is over there.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 2:11pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kennyswag:
Igbos can go to hell and burn to ashes .. I don't care
after u
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Kennyswag: 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:
after my father
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2020
Angelfrost:

Your words carry sound reasoning and weight... I am impressed.

However, such customs need to be modified in the best interest of everyone involved.
chairman, everyone, no matter his financial status, can marry an igbo girl.
When i got married in anambra, i was given a list of N120k, but on the day of the marriage, the village uncles jacked it up by over 100k when they saw me and my crowd.
My wife's sister who is a petty trader married a mechanic in the same house the following year and the mechanic didnt spend up to 100k. His list was watered down to 30-40k.
It's all psychology. When village uncles weigh u and see they can tax u, they will, else they will just ask u to carry their daughter and go and take care of her

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by thatigboman: 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
RealityShot:
my female friend says her boyfriend can't marry her because they gave him a list of 200k

Am not saying it's too much, but a guy of 29 yrs wanting to marry his girlfriend of 25yrs,,
Who (the guy) just left NYSC 3yrs ago,
has he reached to save up that sum to spend at once?

Now add that, he will also do traditional party, plus white wedding party, plus new apartment.

Well, all that expenses just to have another mouth to feed ain't worth it man!

The guy relocate go north leave my friend... Lolzzzz

Any thing beyond 50k is not worth it or reasonable. (even that self plenty)

Guys just prefer to pay per do or maintain girlfriend till goal occur!

Cc: thatigboman
the guy didnt know. It's negotiable. The list would have been watered for him when they see that he didnt have much at the moment.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Sonoyom(m): 2:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
Angelfrost:

Ignore the jobless and idiotic child... This forum has become overrun with such nuisance.
Sometimes i just can't help but respond. Anybody anywhere that sells his daughter to me does not deserve my assistance in any form after the marriage.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
Jefferyhi86:
You can tell ur kinsmen that, tribal advocate

My kinsmen are within their right to talk about igbo culture ....... U dont.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by RealAlubarika(m): 2:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Common keep quiet

U have zero knowledge as regards any part of igbo traditional marriages

I won't stoop so low, to insult you. This has brought to the fore your your level of intelligence and education, I thought you should have come up with more potent comment to counter mine.

Mind you I did my NYSC( Batch B 2011/2012) in Uhueme community in Agulu Anambra state(Aniocha LGA whose capital is Neni), stop this your myopic ways of reasoning. I have knowledge about igbo traditional marriages, my uncle married from Ebonyi state

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Jefferyhi86(m): 3:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
Lol ok ooo oga, u can as well tell buhari n ọba of Lagos that oo not ordinary man like me
Logan23:

My kinsmen are within their right to talk about igbo culture ....... U dont.
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 09, 2020
RealAlubarika:

I won't stoop so low, to insult you. This has brought to the fore your your level of intelligence and education, I thought you should have come up with more potent comment to counter mine.

Mind you I did my NYSC( Batch B 2011/2012) in Uhueme community in Agulu Anambra state(Aniocha LGA whose capital is Neni), stop this your myopic ways of reasoning. I have knowledge about igbo traditional marriages, my uncle married from Ebonyi state

See moronic madness in action. Afonja So because u did ur NYSC in Anambra state, u have now become the custodian of marriage rites in IGBO land grin grin, Musa really needs to change the location of this gate.

How does ur uncle marrying an Ebonyi woman also make u the Ono owu of IGBO marriage and cultural practices grin grin..

Listen carefully, U have ZERO knowledge of Anambra marriage rites (Anambra even have like the lowest requirements for marriage in igbo alnd).....Neither do u know shii about Ebonyi marriage rites.

Keep quiet on igbo matters, U are only allowed to ask marital questions to IGBOS and learn from them.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Allina: 3:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Common keep quiet n stop dabbling into matters that u have zero knowledge about.
You must be very stupid. So you cannot make your point without talking to me in that manner. Bastard

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by RealAlubarika(m): 3:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

See moronic madness in action. Afonja So because u did ur NYSC in Anambra state, u have now become the custodian of marriage rites in IGBO land grin grin, Musa really needs to change the location of this gate.

How does ur uncle marrying an Ebonyi woman also make u the Ono owu of IGBO marriage and cultural practices grin grin..

Listen carefully, U have ZERO knowledge of Anambra marriage rites (Anambra even have like the lowest requirements for marriage in igbo alnd).....Neither do u know shii about Ebonyi marriage rites.

Keep quiet on igbo matters, U are only allowed to ask marital questions to IGBOS and learn from them.

I'm not an Afonja, I'm Esan Central LGA of Edo state, I won't ask cause my fiance is not from the east Okay. I still stand on my previous assertion that the marriage list is part of the bride price.

Cry me a river

We rise by lifting others
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by achierosion(m): 3:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Logan23:

Stop reinforcing ur silly nature.

Keep away from igbo matters, u are not married to an igbo woman and u have never been to an igbo wedding. Keep quiet
Oke agu, I heard you well.

Chiri efi hi gawacheesy
Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by fastseo: 4:00pm On Dec 09, 2020
RealityShot:
my female friend says her boyfriend can't marry her because they gave him a list of 200k

Am not saying it's too much, but a guy of 29 yrs wanting to marry his girlfriend of 25yrs,,
Who (the guy) just left NYSC 3yrs ago,
has he reached to save up that sum to spend at once?

Now add that, he will also do traditional party, plus white wedding party, plus new apartment.

Well, all that expenses just to have another mouth to feed ain't worth it man!

The guy relocate go north leave my friend... Lolzzzz

Any thing beyond 50k is not worth it or reasonable. (even that self plenty)

Guys just prefer to pay per do or maintain girlfriend till goal occur!

Cc: thatigboman

Am not a fan of sex aside marriage.

Truth be told girls do encourage this extortion. They see it as high pride price high value etc.
Ask the average girl here in my area, the will tell u if not 800 to 1m for trad they aren't doing.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by fastseo: 4:06pm On Dec 09, 2020
collinshush:
In my village (in Anambra) bride price is just ₦400..,just as the op said, it's the lists that normally makes it look big, and this list is negotiable.

In my entire life, I have never seen where parents refused to give out their daughter for marriage just because the item in the lists ain't complete. You can negotiate to bring it down. Though some items listed are compulsory.

A man can marry a lady with 2 million naira in a family where another man married the lady's sister with ₦200, 000. So it all depends on how the man present himself.

Don't say what you have not experienced.

A neighbour of mine left his girlfriend of 4 years to marry another girl just because the list is expensive.

How can he be ask to buy wrapper 3 pieces of each worth 30k, 20k for igwe with a goat, 120 peaces of yams value 1k per each, plus other things I can't remember.

He said when he calculated the money it got to over 700k, ask the family to consider they said no.

See u have not experienced.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Ego2(f): 4:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Gracchus:
Y'll are good at pointing fingers. So y'll don't stereotype others huh?
when it comes to stereotypes and finger pointing igbos have had the worst and that's the truth you may want to deny it but the truth is still the truth..... take a look @ some of the comments telling you not marry from Imo, Abia and all, and I'm wondering how many parts of theses places have they been to. each town, villages, kindred and community differs same with their requirements for marriages. so pointing @ a whole state or people due to the outrageous list given by a particular village or kindred or family doesn't mean it applies to the whole State.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by RealityShot: 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2020
fastseo:

Am not a fan of sex aside marriage.

Truth be told girls do encourage this extortion. They see it as high pride price high value etc.
Ask the average girl here in my area, the will tell u if not 800 to 1m for trad they aren't doing.

Me too..

No mind those girls

Ash work still dey pay them, later, they will be the ones to say
"just carry drink to my parents please "

When the tomato done near rotten!
Lolzzzz

Best time to marry for less expensive marriage is above 30years or post pregnancy!
Lol... I prefer the first... Very easy... Nathem dey rush!

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Lotechi(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
thatigboman:

let other igbos and other nairalanders contribute.
Why do they have to buy those things though? There are so many cultural practices I don’t understand. The Funny thing is these practices have done no good to anybody.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by Lotechi(m): 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2020
Bar1941:
Really, so that list is about house warming not wedding? You are talking as if the list is about something else. What brought about the list in the first instance if not the bride?
I was so amused when I read her post. It is simply trying to justify an outdated tradition that has done no good to anybody

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by collinshush: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2020
fastseo:

Don't say what you have not experienced.

A neighbour of mine left his girlfriend of 4 years to marry another girl just because the list is expensive.

How can he be ask to buy wrapper 3 pieces of each worth 30k, 20k for igwe with a goat, 120 peaces of yams value 1k per each, plus other things I can't remember.

He said when he calculated the money it got to over 700k, ask the family to consider they said no.

See u have not experienced.

@ the bolded, I said I have never seen where parents refused to give their daughter out because of non fulfilment of marriage list.

Is that English hard for you to understand?

Besides that, I don't know the part of Igbo land you came from. In my place, the most important thing in marriage is the Bride price.

The lists for the traditional wedding ceremony can be fulfilled any time you deemed it fit but must be fulfilled before the first child (male or female) of the said woman get married in future.

You guys should stop making it look as if it's very expensive to get married in Igbo land. Poor people are getting married, people earning ₦50k and below monthly are all getting married.

Marriage list can always be negotiated downwards.

There's one Igbo saying that says "anaghị anụcha nwanyị anụcha".

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by fastseo: 7:46pm On Dec 09, 2020
collinshush:

@ the bolded, I said I have never seen where parents refused to give their daughter out because of non fulfilment of marriage list.

Is that English hard for you to understand?

Besides that, I don't know the part of Igbo land you came from. In my place, the most important thing in marriage is the Bride price.

The lists for the traditional wedding ceremony can be fulfilled any time you deemed it fit but must be fulfilled before the first child (male or female) of the said woman get married in future.

You guys should stop making it look as if it's very expensive to get married in Igbo land. Poor people are getting married, people earning ₦50k and below monthly are all getting married.

Marriage list can always be negotiated downwards.

There's one Igbo saying that says "anaghị anụcha nwanyị anụcha".

Look boy/man.. In my place when they came to marry my sister. They demand they do for my late dad first.
Do for my mother. That's where they come to buy those George that each cost 20k least and you got to buy 3 or 4.

Do for my kindred men.

Do for my umu ada

Do for my umu nna.

Each of the things on the list, for the listed trad up are not less than 50k, not to talk of 120 to 200 yams, assorted drinks, ogba that will full a basin, bags of salt, other stuff.

Say the truth. Our girls are not getting married on time it's worrisome.

One of my brother In the Lord the daughter got married last year. I was there to record the event.
What they paid is over 100k, and they were told to come to village to complete the rest which is the main one.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by DesChyko: 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
ottega:
this is not comprehensive enough, please do your reserch very well, cos Ave been to the east and I know what it is over there.

Do you?

A great number of us that got married from Igboland, even from the much maligned 'Mbaise' tribe see all these claims as fairy tale.

Where does this really happen bikonu? Which family in which clan from which LGA in which state actually presented these 'budgets'?

In all the many marriages I've attended elsewhere with my kinsmen, I am yet to see any of these crazy billing. In all of the maidens married from my clan, whose marriages we were part of and prepared lists for, never have I come across anything untoward as the list has been basically the same for ages.

I'm convinced it's some deceitful fellows running rampant with mischief on Microsoft Word. It's beginning to sound like football banter against rival fans. Nothing more.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices by DesChyko: 8:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
fastseo:

Look boy/man.. In my place when they came to marry my sister. They demand they do for my late dad first.
Do for my mother. That's where they come to buy those George that each cost 20k least and you got to buy 3 or 4.

Do for my kindred men.

Do for my umu ada

Do for my umu nna.

Each of the things on the list, for the listed trad up are not less than 50k, not to talk of 120 to 200 yams, assorted drinks, ogba that will full a basin, bags of salt, other stuff.

Say the truth. Our girls are not getting married on time it's worrisome.

One of my brother In the Lord the daughter got married last year. I was there to record the event.
What they paid is over 100k, and they were told to come to village to complete the rest which is the main one.

Your dad is late which means you should be the lead voice (or close) in your home. Doesn't look like you even asserted that authority anywhere in your narrative.

Honestly, you don't sound convincing. Even the terms you describe these rites with doesn't make you look like you're familiar with the custom rites in your village. 'They paid money for what isn't the traditional marriage, then what did you go to record? Introduction ceremony where they pay 'money'?

If you can, please mention the clan and LGA of this place. I'ld like to research and see for myself, a first hand exhorbitant 'billing'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ibrahim Chatta Umar Is Dead! Etsu Patigi Dies / Wolof People / Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.