Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? (27731 Views)

Why I Don’t Want Marriage, Children – Female Lawyer, Ifunanya / Do You Consider Flogging An Effective Way Of Discipline? What's The Alternative? / Lawyer Oladapo Ogundipe With Seven Children As Lawyers (Law Family) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Hathor5(f): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2020
lexy2014:

Pls what is dictionary meaning of achievement? Did u have a special dictionary that u use?

Good question. Maybe we should first decide on a definition. Personally, I think that an achievement is something that requires work and effort. What is your definition?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

Good question. Maybe we should first decide on a definition. Personally, I think that an achievement is something that requires work and effort. What is your definition?

What then is work?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by pansophist(m): 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2020
ethicallyright:

Your metaphor "life is suffering" appears to be truism but the claim is not entirely true. Life is not suffering but more people suffer in life while lesser people do not suffer. Stoicism claims that the good life is a virtuous life not a happy life. This means that a life of hedonism can bring happiness even though it is not the good life. There are people who have never suffered from birth till death and thus have never suffered in life.

The gulf princesses are examples.

Look at it this way. If you buy a new android now, by default, it will have no apps that will make the phone maximally functional such as your bank apps, themes, WhatsApp and more. Youll have to start installing it to make it enjoyable. This is what the saying that "life is suffering" truly means. Acquiring wealth, moving to a develop country, degrees etc are all what humans do to alleviate the suffering. But at the very base, if you strip all human intervention away, life is suffering.

Also, the storm is always coming. You will die, that is one sure thing, and the thought of how you're powerless in the face of your impending death is even more painful, and oh, the next minute is not even guaranteed to you, and you can not do anything about it either. Your love one will fall sick, depression might kick in, and a whole chain of unfortunate event might unravel. Even billionaires die, and lots of wealthy folks are the most depressed out there.

Your partner may cheat on you, your kid kidnapped or killed by stray bullet, or you contaminate an incurable disease. The list of what your billions can't save you from is endless. And if you do nothing, life will make your life more miserable. Just as a parked car will rust away if not maintained

You seems to understand suffering in a material sense, but it transcends that. It is about the truism that makes up the human story. It is the fact that you can not run away or buy your way out of it. Now with this knowledge, live your life to the fullest, and make life better for the next man. That is how you balance the suffering of life by bringing more smile into the world. Its a heartbreaking truth of life, but its empowering to know.

Understand?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Hathor5(f): 9:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
lexy2014:

What then is work?

Don't answer questions with questions. Thank you.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

Don't answer questions with questions. Thank you.

Y shouldn't I? U should be able to clarify d terms u use. What is work?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:39pm On Dec 03, 2020
Seyzcham91:
Getting married and having kids not an achievement to me cuz it's a CHOICE to get married and have kids

You can't make a choice to Achieve in life cuz it's all God's grace nomatter how much you try

Remember again "from my own perspective"

What is achievement in d dictionary? Do u achieve anything without making a choice to achieve that thing? How can u separate achievement & choice?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Hathor5(f): 9:39pm On Dec 03, 2020
lexy2014:

Y shouldn't I? U should be able to clarify d terms u use. What is work?

Answer my question or good night.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Raychee(f): 9:40pm On Dec 03, 2020
Achievement is subjective. What is good for Chinedu might be bad for Biodun.

Those taking davido and wizkid as their role models, well done! Obviously we know the age range. Una never see life. You know how much they pay in child support to several mothers every month? Obviously we're still kids and not thinking straight. Just need a couple of years to change your orientation.

If marriage doesn't work for you it's no big deal.
Just prepare yourself for your old age that's if you even make it to that point. I haven't seen single old men around. Probably a widower but not a single man.

Either your loneliness kills you, your reckless life or a young pretty lady hooks you down for your money and poisons you slowly to death.

If you're going to be single, make it worth it. Make an impact in your society and help as many people as you can. So you can have people to love you in your later days. And not being single with the messed up mentality of chasing different women about.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Emeka71(m): 9:40pm On Dec 03, 2020
hashtagged:
No they are not achievements they are liabilities
Yes o.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:40pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

What is work? What does it mean? Is getting married & having kids devoid of "work" ?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Evince(m): 9:44pm On Dec 03, 2020
thesicilian:
For some women, yes.
One doesn't need any special credentials to be able to marry or have children. The true achievement comes from being able to raise up godly children
which of the Gods please?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

Does getting married & having not require effort?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Hathor5(f): 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
lexy2014:

What is work? What does it mean? Is getting married & having kids devoid of "work"?

Like I said, marriage comes easy to some people. They are lucky/blessed enough to find their other half without having to work for it. It just happens for them. Staying married can be easy or tough. It differs from couple to couple. Some people enjoy their marriages, others work on them or spend hours in counseling sessions. wink

Kids are a lot of work but some people suck at raising them and do a poor job of it so how is it an achievement?

You still haven't told me how you define achievement.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
pansophist:

Look at it this way. If you buy a new android now, by default, it will have no apps that will make the phone maximally functional such as your bank apps, themes, WhatsApp and more. Youll have to start installing it to make it enjoyable. This is what the saying that "life is suffering" truly means. Acquiring wealth, moving to a develop country, degrees etc are all what humans do to alleviate the suffering. But at the very base, if you strip all human intervention away, life is suffering.

Also, the storm is always coming. You will die, that is one sure thing, and the thought of how you're powerless in the face of your impending death is even more painful, and oh, the next minute is not even guaranteed to you, and you can not do anything about it either. Your love one will fall sick, depression might kick in, and a whole chain of unfortunate event might unravel. Even billionaires die, and lots of wealthy folks are the most depressed out there.

You seems to understand suffering in a material sense, but it transcends that. It is about the truism that makes up the human story. It is about. you can not run away or buy your way out of it. Now with this knowledge, live your life to the fullest, and make life better for the next man. That is how you balance the suffering of life by bringing more smile into the world. Its a heartbreaking truth of life, but its empowering to know.

Understand?

The example of someone who does not suffer that I gave is a gulf royal who is at least $1 billion richer at birth, so your first paragraph is neutralized.

With respect to your second paragraph, wouldn't it be better to say that to the poor "life is suffering" and to the rich "death is suffering".
But can that assertion be even made if death is the opposite of life and thus one cannot
suffer in life while at death. Death comes with the loss of physicality and pain.

If a gulf royal dies in his sleep at the age of 90 then the royal never suffered in life.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by hashtagged(m): 9:46pm On Dec 03, 2020
okoroemeka:
if getting married to someone you love dearly and having wonderful kids is not an achievement then I wonder what is achievement itself,is it that mansion,that expensive car, investment,land assets,billions in the bank,what then is need to gobble up material things when you will be enjoying it alone and miserable, my children make me happy, watching then grow into beautiful ladies and good guys don't even give me a choice as a parent,it's social media that has exposed the generations old weakness of women,but there are still women out there that will always be a friend and companion but you must have an open mind.
Stop carrying the useless mindset your parents told you that not having children makes you feel alone. Having children and are wife are a no for some people if you like them your opinion don't try to force it on others

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Ladylawyer(f): 9:48pm On Dec 03, 2020
I consider marriage and having kids an achievement. The reason is that I need people that I can call my own.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Unrated900(m): 9:49pm On Dec 03, 2020
Only a bachelor man would ask such question

One of the greatest achievement in life is to get married and have kids.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Evince(m): 9:50pm On Dec 03, 2020
internationalman:
After achieving everything in the world without a family, then you would know that kids are the biggest achievement of all...

Even though I'm scared of marriage but the feeling I get when my babe is sleeping over is enriching. I sometimes wonder how it would feel when this sleeping over happens everyday...
obviously it gets tiring as the sleep over becomes a lifetime affair
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by simplesearch: 9:51pm On Dec 03, 2020
@ op you are evidence of the importance of marriage and fruitfulness. If linda ikeji could go any length to experience the joy of motherhood and still looking for a man to settle with and call her own, same goes for chimamanda and even Hillary Clinton who against glaring evidence of extramarital affair decide to forgive and stick with his husband. They all believed in the institution of marriage and will never trade it for anything or you think if it's not an achievement Linda will still be looking for an husband? People promoting that idea are actually frustrated with their lack of it, but refuse to be sincere with the public like Linda. If God said it's not good to be alone, and that children are his heritage and the fruit of the womb a reward. Infact aside obeying God the most important command giving to man in the garden of Eden is to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by meobizy(f): 9:52pm On Dec 03, 2020
I am happily single so I'll shift towards no, it is not an achievement. When I get married, my opinion may change.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

Like I said, marriage comes easy to some people. They are lucky/blessed enough to find their other half without having to work for it. It just happens for them. Staying married can be easy or tough. It differs from couple to couple. Some people enjoy their marriages, others work on them or spend hours in counseling sessions. wink

Kids are a lot of work but some people suck at raising them and do a poor job of it so how is it an achievement?

What do u mean by "work"? Is getting married & having kids devoid of work? Do people get married & have kids without making effort? Is there any relationship that led to marriage without effort or work on d part of d couple involved?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by okwusdidi: 9:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
It is better to remain single than to marry an idiot and end up living miserably for the rest of your life or worst still get divorced.The false notion that marriage is compulsory or an achievement has led people into getting married without a solid foundation.Marriage is not an achievement.I have never heard that someone achieved greatness just by getting married.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by lexy2014: 9:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
Hathor5:

Those who u say "marriage comes to easy", did they not put in any effort to make their relationship lead to marriage? Those who have kids, did they not put in any effort into having kids or d kids fell from d sky?
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by ebony2011(m): 9:58pm On Dec 03, 2020
Splitmind:

Funny thing is in the past priests could marry. The church stopped it about 1000 years ago because all the inheritances priests would get were going to their children and not the church.
That's greediness on part of the church.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:59pm On Dec 03, 2020
Live your life the way you want
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Liposure: 9:59pm On Dec 03, 2020
Biglittlelois:
Marriage is one out of many achievements one can attain in this life.
to me getting married is a step, staying married is an achievement

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by pansophist(m): 10:07pm On Dec 03, 2020
ethicallyright:

The example of someone who does not suffer that I gave is a gulf royal who is at least $1 billion richer at birth, so your first paragraph is neutralized.

With respect to your second paragraph, wouldn't it be better to say that to the poor "life is suffering" and to the rich "death is suffering".
But can that assertion be even made if death is the opposite of life and thus one cannot
suffer in life while at death. Death comes with the loss of physicality and pain.

If a gulf royal dies in his sleep at the age of 90 then the royal never suffered in life.

I think you are beating about the Bush. Life is suffering should not be understood in a material sense, but from an existential lense. Money or no money, everyone suffers in one way or the other. Its clarified in my previous response to you.

Again, wealth, power, status and whatever are what human acquire to alleviate the suffering and make life more enjoyable. And no, death being suffering to the rich is not an argument, it can only make sense if we are talking about material suffering. I'm referring to existential suffering. Something that renders your money powerless.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 03, 2020
It is an achievement when you marry the right one for you and live peacefully ever after.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by jelel6: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2020
I'm not married yet but this is what I think:

Marriage, a good wife, and children will be a Blessing to me. Individually, each is a blessing in their own right and if you desire children like me, children ensures marriage completeness.
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by nakaman: 10:12pm On Dec 03, 2020
na wa o, sometimes I wonder if people think from their anus, if getting married and making a family is not an achievement what then is an achievement, is it your certificate?, abi your cars?, or estate. oga without a child, your a waste. except giving it to charity, else your unborn kids will punish you both in heaven and in hell. why guys come dey hustle. as your papa train you, you go follow train person. the best investment/resources a person haa is his/her offspring.
even in anambra, taking responsibility for a burial is considered an achievement talkless of getting married. ah you be baba, bcuz that is when the real hustle begins, you will be forced to scam, just to make money.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Galaticos444: 10:12pm On Dec 03, 2020
gunners160:
Marriage is an achievement to a Lady and to most men a liability. Whenever a man should propose to a lady, the first thing you see is she is crying or shouting out of excitement. She starts flaunting and making paparazzi out of the engagement ring because she has seen some one who has helped her in accomplishing a goal. Just like the feeling of building a house

in addition to this,marriage to a woman is like a childhood fantasy come true. Ever since she was little, she has been made to belief she is a Queen and special so there is a Mr Knight somewhere who will one day marry her and fulfill all her fantasy.
A man looks for financial independence before getting married but a woman crave for good shape and a good dress sense before getting married. She knows all what she needs is a man who can shoulder her responsibilities. that is why men get married late while women get married so early. You hear words like " i need a rich man even though he is ugly"

Also, marriage to a woman is a respect on its own. She is given respect both in and outside her home. At church she is called madam, at work she is called a Mrs and at the society she is called a mother

Finally marriage can be an achievement and also a liability depending who u end up with. they either destroy you or makedo
oil they ur head
Re: Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? by Charisma01: 10:14pm On Dec 03, 2020
Very stupid question. When you people listening to motivational speakers, you'll be full of regret later in life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Tribute To Freeman David / Real Men Do Not Beat Their Wives / When Was The First Time You Touched A Dead Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.