Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,076 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (259) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1649975 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 1:20pm On Jun 17, 2021
In order for you to get a useful advice from anyone here. You may need to state out a lot of things we are not privy of. It is important you share your transcripts on the 3 times u got a denial. What has changed about you since the time you got B1/B2 visa and the 8 times you visited the United states? Have you overstayed any of the times you visited US?

You stand a better chance of getting a US student visa with MBA if you apply to a top school in US. Also, your work experience in Nigeria plays a big role. Are u in a middle level management position or entry level in your career? There are a lot of factors. It is expected you should have acquired some years of work experience before going for MBA. Share your denial interview transcripts.

[quote author=Approvalll post=102814342]Hello everyone I just got my I20 I have no funding from the school my tuition will be funded by my parents i will be going for my MBA i have been denied student visa about 3 times in the past under the 214 b reason the last time I was denied was in January 2020 even though I’ve been to the US about 8 times since I was a little kid on a B1/B2 visa I have tried to get funding from the school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 17, 2021
1.Yes, you can. DO NOT do the switch in Nigeria. Wait till you get into the US.

2. A. Contact Person in the US is your School/Designated School Official's Details (DSO).

B. For trip, I'll advise you to fill self. Education/Tuition and trip are different.

C. Yes, please fill in your Brother's details and be ready to answer questions about him at the interview.

All the best. quote author=OlAfredd post=102800814]Please here is my current status.

Umass Amherst with no funding CoA - $60k : submitted I-20 application to school on Sat. - resumption date: 1 Sept

MSUM- some form of funding CoA- $25K admission came with I-20 yesterday but funding was not on the I-20. Resumption date: Aug 18.

I got admitted to other schools- Arizona, Loyola, Fordham, Etsu, UWW, UWM and Fairfield. Got some of funding tho.

But I prefer Umass and my Bro, who is a US citizen and my sponsor, is also sync.
My Bsc, the Msc and current career are perfectly aligned - Accounting.

I've paid for visa and started filing the DS-160 but I've not paid for Sevis

So here are my questions:

1. Can I use the I-20 from MSUM for my interview and later change my Sevis to Umass before even leaving Nig?
Why? Cos the I-20 is with me and the CoA is small so want to avoid funding issue at the interview

2. On the DS-160 application: there are 3 parts:
A.Contact Person or Organization in the United States : should I put my bro or the school?
Side not states "Your U.S. Point of Contact can be any individual in the U.S. who knows you and can verify, if necessary, your identity. If you do not personally know anyone in the U.S., you may enter the name of the store, company, or organization you plan to visit during your trip.

B. Who is sponsoring your trip: this has to be bro?
C. Do you have fam in the US: my bro- guess I can't avoid this since he's bankrolling the project.
Other info:

I've never been to US but bro has been there for about 16years, but all other siblings and parents reside in NG and there have been cross visits over the years. Lastly, bear in mind that my bro stays in CT just 3hrs away from Amherst MA, so consider this info in your opinion.

So guys what do you think? I need your opinions and apart from the questions above, how to prob approach the family ties and sponsor.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 1:27pm On Jun 17, 2021
I have seen like one or two transcripts of two people going to University of Arkansas, Little rock. You can check few pages back.

Samuel5555:
Who is going to University of akansas at Little Rock?
Please i need your urgent help and clearification.
My number 07035838283, samuelovbiebo@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 17, 2021
Thank you Jesus! Congratulations! You and your daughter remind me of my Mum and I. I saw her achieve so many things. Learnt resilience from her. Go and suceed!
Patsido:
VISA APPROVED.
June 16, 2021.

All glory and Adoration to him who is able to do much more than we can ever ask or imagine.

This is my 3 Attempt. First was October 19, 2020 with my 9 yr old daughter at Lagos ( Florida State University, Tallahassee. Scholarship $15,000). Second Attempt, I applied alone December 2, 2020 at Abuja( Florida State University).

Third Attempt today June 16, 2021 ( Abuja). I applied with my 6 month old baby and 9 years old daughter. I couldn't imagine leaving her behind.
Appointment was for 8am. Got to the Embassy 6.45am. The rush of those hustlers at the embassy is indescribable. No matter what they asked me I just told them am fine and I don't need anything. Abuja Embassy had a lot of applicants today. When I got to the CGI official to arrange my documents, he asked for my passport photographs and it was no where to be found. I was just wondering which Kain local trouble be dis one. He asked me to take another picture for the 3 of us. I had to go back get my phone to retrieve soft copies. They printed for N3,000 after asking for N7500.
My interview finally took place at about 11.30am. I was interviewed by the white lady. They were just a male and female VO. I noticed the female VO was dishing out more approvals than denials.

Funding( Scholarship)- $40,000
Dependents- $13000
Deficit- $31000
Total deficit- $44,000

V.O: pass me your I-20 and passport

Me: Excuse ma'am I stutter sometimes ( �,)

V:O: That's ok

V.O: I see you are going to University of xxxxcx for your masters in Law.

Me: yes ma'am

VO: Are those your only children?

Me: yes ma'am

VO: How old are they?

VO: The baby is 6 months and the other is 9yrs old.

VO: You have been to the US?

Me: yes I got a child birth Visa in October 2017 and we bought our tickets shortly after but lost my pregnancy. We decided to change it to a Christmas vacation so that I can have a change of environment. I have the medical report.

VO: ( she kept nodding her head) and said sorry about that.

V.O: what is your highest qualification?

Me: I graduated with a Bachelor of Law degree from the University of Jos in 2003 and proceeded to the Nigerian Law School same year and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 2004.

Meanwhile she was reading and typing. I just dey kabash under my face mask. I dey cancel every negative remark on my profile.

VO: what is this masters going to do for you?

Me: Over the years my legal Career has been hinged on my Bachelor's degree and Work experience. I do not have a masters degree and because of the demand for legal pratictioners who are skilled in Nigeria, it has become imperative for me to acquire an advance knowledge in the field of law. This program will equip me with skills and knowledge to negotiate multinational transactions and regulatory framework for foreign trade and investment. This program will also equip me with skills and knowledge to resolve international sales disputes as I will be handling legal issues that arise from Multinational transaction on behalf of my clients in the corporate and commercial setting upon my return to Nigeria. I am also looking to improving my professional credentials so that I can secure a lucrative post in a multinational company in Nigeria.

VO: what have you been doing as a lawyer?

Me: I incorporate new companies, handle post incorporation processes, render legal opinion on my behalf...( She cut me off)

VO: ( she stops typing & starts looking at my I-20). You have a scholarship of $40,000 and the deficit will be taken care of by your husband?

Me: yes

VO: what does he do ?

Me: He is the CEO of xxxxx Nig LTD a furniture company that manufactures metal and wooden furniture for Schools in the Northeast on behalf of UNICEF, Educational Establishments and Individuals.
He also builds living Apartment and office spaces and offers for rent

VO: Ok I will be keeping your passports..... ( I no remember this last part)

Me: I was shocked when she made this statement. I never realized how this denials affected me. I was like approval with my two kids? She didn't ask for statement of account, accommodation , daycare, Evidence of Elementary school for my 9 years old

I already made arrangements for all of the above. I have been asking God to arise for me and he did.

Please if you see Jesus thank him for me. I shed tears of joy that my daughter asked me " Mummy we didn't win again"���

I gained a whole lot from the thread and it's fair that I come here to present my transcript.

Thank you Fairheart, for being so selfless.
Thank you Zeelady for the tips.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by gustav25: 1:31pm On Jun 17, 2021
SapphireFort:

Yes, you can

Thanks for your response. I would love to know the most affordable Schools i can apply to please if you dont mind. Affordable in the sense that the naira to dollar exchange rate wouldnt be too much
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 17, 2021
jojoey:

Really? Thanks. So the 60 day rule does not apply?
i have no idea but you apply for it if you wish
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tunapawizzy: 1:46pm On Jun 17, 2021
OlAfredd:

So funny thing is I just filled this question you pointed out now, and those I put as contacts aren't of aware of my plans..

However, here's the Q I was referring to:

Contact Person or Organization in the United States?
Your U.S. Point of Contact can be any individual in the U.S. who knows you and can verify, if necessary, your identity. If you do not personally know anyone in the U.S., you may enter the name of the store, company, or organization you plan to visit during your trip.
Oh I see. I will advice u put the name and contact details of the person you interacted with at the international office OR admission office of your university.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 17, 2021
Tega1986:
@Malone122, please can you help me book emergency date. We can discuss the modalities if you don't mind. Let's talk 08068001922. Thanks
No I cannot respectfully
—- Book a date, currently there are no dates but when dates become available book it like that

—- then the emergency request option becomes available, click it and input your tentative date of arrival , brief reason why you want emergency date , upload your I-20 and sevis fee payment that’s all
And wait for response….
Either they approve your request or deny it

And if a closer date comes up you have the reschedule option….

Goodluck !!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ummu2H: 1:55pm On Jun 17, 2021
Hello everyone. I just started following the thread and I would like to say thank you for your useful tips and information. Please I need advice. I am applying for an F1 visa from outside 9ja. There are currently no appointment dates in the city where I live but there are dates in other centers in different cities. Travel and accommodation in those cities are very expensive. However I am worried that time is running out on my end since I am expected to resume in August. I just need to select a regular appointment date first in order for me to request for emergency appointment. Do you advise I stay hopeful and keep checking for dates in my city or I just accept my fate and select other cities where there are dates available. I know countries scenarios might differ but has anyone ever been in such a dilemma. Do you guys think a date might come up soon. Thanks in advance.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Approvalll: 2:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
Well the first time I got denied I wasn’t too knowledgeable about the student visa process so I made a mistake while filling the ds-160 and I think that affected the other two times that I applied and for work experience I had worked briefly with KPMG during my service year after that I took a position as an accountant in my family’s 50 bedroom hotel while also handling our food and beverage companies as we have about 5 bottling plants(factories)and a factory that manufactures plastics I’m actually on the board of directors because it is a group of companies in different Industries and we have plans on expanding our businesses in Nigeria I will also share my previous interview transcripts as I can’t remember everything that happened in detail thanks for your help I appreciate
quote author=abbeYhart post=102814765]In order for you to get a useful advice from anyone here. You may need to state out a lot of things we are not privy of. It is important you share your transcripts on the 3 times u got a denial. What has changed about you since the time you got B1/B2 visa and the 8 times you visited the United states? Have you overstayed any of the times you visited US?

You stand a better chance of getting a US student visa with MBA if you apply to a top school in US. Also, your work experience in Nigeria plays a big role. Are u in a middle level management position or entry level in your career? There are a lot of factors. It is expected you should have acquired some years of work experience before going for MBA. Share your denial interview transcripts.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EmmyteeTosin(m): 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2021
Is a SOA needed to be taken along to the embassy
if the program is fully funded?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by LeviAckerman: 2:21pm On Jun 17, 2021
Malone122:
No I cannot respectfully
—- Book a date, currently there are no dates but when dates become available book it like that

—- then the emergency request option becomes available, click it and input your tentative date of arrival , brief reason why you want emergency date , upload your I-20 and sevis fee payment that’s all
And wait for response….
Either they approve your request or deny it

And if a closer date comes up you have the reschedule option….

Goodluck !!
Does one have to pay sevis fee before they can request emergency date ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Osmund6: 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2021
What do I answer coz I know nothing about my father's financial status
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Helkayklassic(m): 2:27pm On Jun 17, 2021
EmmyteeTosin:
Is a SOA needed to be taken along to the embassy
if the program is fully funded?

If there is no deficit, it is not necessary
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Osmund6: 2:41pm On Jun 17, 2021
What if I was asked to explain my father's financial status, please someone should help me out
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 17, 2021
LeviAckerman:

Does one have to pay sevis fee before they can request emergency date ?
yeah
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ray2018: 2:58pm On Jun 17, 2021
Please Gurus in the house help...

Ray2018:
(1) Please what are the chances if I use myself as the sponsor, I have a 30k deficit and I want to use my account statement and also I can make use of my mums account statement for proof of funds. My chances are better with which of the account statements?

(2) Do I need to state my job as a CEO during my interview ? OR i should state I work for a company? Please what is the best option?

(3) what conversion rate should I use for proof of funds?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EmmyteeTosin(m): 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2021
Thank you so much
Helkayklassic:

If there is no deficit, it is not necessary
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fantabulous08: 3:24pm On Jun 17, 2021
Malone122:
lol I’m sure you know you shot yourself you have a brother there and you didn’t mention do you think they wouldn’t know
What’s the point of the lie

Please I want to verify this

What if you filled that you have a brother in the USA on your ds-160 form and you stood on your ground during the interview that you have no one there. Will they still find out you do? (Especially if he’s a citizen)
I thought people say they ask questions based on your ds-160 and what you have on your I-20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Duisburg: 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2021
Hello house. I'm one of those Germany die-hards who got disappointed by the German consulate in Nigeria.
However, I got accepted by Western illinois university yesterday and I believe it's a better option for me. But you see, because I've never been into US visa stuff like Germany, I can hardly understand all the f1 visa process well. Could anyone please help with the steps to follow?

Many thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
1. Use your mum's statement. It is better that way..You may mention at the interview you also have personal savings towards the cost of your education.

2. If all what you fill in your application is right and your reason for further studies is true. questions like this is not necessary but I understand your anxiety. The choice is yours. Although I think it is better if you state you work for a company(use your company). Preferably, it is better if your company has a role related to what you want to study in US. Use that position. Try not to be too far away from being honest. You can easily defend what you do since you are the CEO. You don't need to reveal you own the company. I want to assume you own the company.

3. The rate you see when you google it online as at when you applied

All the best!

Ray2018:
Please Gurus in the house help...

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by temmyseun321(m): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
I'll like to ask you some questions if you dont mind... I love the way you respond to that question. Can i have ur email address
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by temmyseun321(m): 3:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Girlbestfriend:

I don't think you had any problem aside @ bolded... You don't in anyway put your country in a bad light__

When asked such questions, make the answer about you and and then go ahead to talk about how you would give back to your society upon your return.

For Example Why MIS?
Answer: I chose to study MIS because as a child I saw my father use the analogue (paper) method to collect and report his day to day activities, until there was a fire outbreak in a section of his 'business'__ there was no way he could retrieve those lost information and the lost of valuable information reflected in his decision for that FY.(input one sad outcome) __Upon my return, I plan to join so so so and improve the bla bla bla so no one will have to face what my father went through....

I answered with what I think MIS is about (Management information systems right).

I'll like to ask you some questions if you dont mind... I love the way you respond to that question. Can i have ur email address
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Funmilayo1994(f): 3:55pm On Jun 17, 2021
Hello everyone , pls I have a question and need reply urgently. My uncle is the one sponsoring me , so he intend to give me his bank statement now because he won’t be around when I will need the statement. My question now is that if I collect his bank statement now and I differ my admission to January can I still make use of his bank statement because I was told you need to take a long a bank statement that is 6month to the time you are going for interview. Please I need a reply urgently. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 17, 2021
fantabulous08:

Please I want to verify this

What if you filled that you have a brother in the USA on your ds-160 form and you stood on your ground during the interview that you have no one there. Will they still find out you do? (Especially if he’s a citizen)
I thought people say they ask questions based on your ds-160 and what you have on your I-20
obviously they would know that’s just it …
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lessie(m): 4:03pm On Jun 17, 2021
Hello my people, pls my interview is next month....below is my transcript. l will appreciate corrections, insight from you guys.

Vo: Hi, Good morning
me: Good morning sir, how are you doing

VO: Pass me your passport and I-20
me: Here it is.

VO: Why are you here?
Me: I'm here for my USA student interview.

VO: What is the purpose of your travel?
Me: I'm traveling to pursue masters in business administration with focus in management at Huston Tillotson university with a full scholarship from my company.

VO: Why MBA?
Me: I want to acquire an in-depth knowledge about business administration and management as well improve my leadership and executive managerial skills and be able to compete globally.

VO: Why HT university?
Me: Apart from the class work and courses, l will have an opportunity to learn from top executive business managers in USA through their business trip. l will equally have opportunity to share and learn innovative ways of doing business from students from diverse set of culture and background.
I'm particularly interested in learning from Prof. Derrick has had a lot work on management.

VO: Can you not continue your education in your country?
ME: Education system in my country due encounter challenges like strike this tends to stretch the program to years. My country's education will not give me the exposure required to compete globally.

VO: Who is funding your education?
ME: I have a full Scholarship from my company which covers Tuition and living expenses

VO: Why is your company spending so much to train you?
ME: My company tends to compete within and beyond Nigeria and would want me to take over part of it's management.

VO: What are your long term plan?
ME: I intend to work in my company for at least 10years and establish my own company.

VO: Why switching from Biochemistry to MBA?
ME: having started my carrier in finance industry, my career has lead me far in finance and management, so for me to better appreciate and do well l need to acquire an in-depth knowledge of business administration and management.

VO: What do you know abt USA schools and education system?
ME: USA has an excellent academic system, some of the world best research is done here, the school discusses issue and focus more on ideas.

VO: Have you been to USA?
ME: No sir

VO: How many school did you apply and how many admitted you?
ME: I applied to one, this is because my company asked me to because they believe in the standard of the school and the quality of their MBA faculty.

VO: What's your plan after graduation?
ME: After graduation, l plan to return to my country to continue with my job and use the knowledge gained for the growth of my company and equally create job for my country.

VO: Why should l grant you this visa?
ME: It is my aim to be an authority in business management in my country and for me to achieve this, l need to acquire this knowledge. Approving this visa is a gateway for me to enter USA and study then return to my country to use the knowledge gained for growth of my company and country at large.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Laworldz: 4:05pm On Jun 17, 2021
This is why I also said over the weekend here before one guy can with epistle saying someone shine doesn’t hinder others. So so sooooo annoying
fairheart:

Why do you need to know her University? So that people will bomb it as they now did with Western Illinois University? I heard yesterday from someone at the embassy that many applicants came with Western Illinois University I-20 and almost, if not all of them, including someone who is fully funded, were refused.

So I have advised those who are in touch with me not to reveal their schools on this forum. I advise potential applicants that will be approved to keep their school out as well. Let every student find their own school and have a unique profile, so that they will take you serious when you apply for your visa at the embassy.

For your information, WIU was funding students until over 2500 Nigerian students bombed the school with applications. Now, they are reaping the result with many refusals.

Remember, the United States has over 5000 colleges and universities, so find your own school. Do the work! Don't avoid the work! It will help your journey. This is for all of you here!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 4:28pm On Jun 17, 2021
@lessie

Can you confirm what your university put as who is taking care of your deficit in your I20 under student funding? I am certian the VO is looking at that section once you mention you have full scholarship from your company.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Transiter(m): 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
nestkojex:

Yes there is
please point me to it. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by opeyemioguns: 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
I'm still in the process of filling my DS160 currently and I've supplied visa appointment information up to picking date. I've chosen Lagos on both but want to change to abuja. How can I do that successfully?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2021
Good day my people, I have been a member of this group since January and I will say kudos to the admin and every member of this group, they have been helpful in one way or the other. Although I joined this group because of my sister that is planning to go to the US for Spring 2022.

A friend of mine that I introduced to this group called me last week Friday that she hasn't gotten back her passport since her interview day on the 3rd of June, she said she was sent an email that her passport is ready for pick up, I advised her to be patient that she would get it soonest maybe her pick up location has some challenges with getting it from Lagos.

What forced me to post here today was that, I asked her this afternoon how far and she said she hasn't gotten the passport till date which amazed me because I know DHL is very good and they don't disappoint, the location she chose was DHL Akure and for the times she had been there they said they haven't received any passport.

So I would like to ask the house what can i advise her to do.

NB-She has started class for the spring semester online already ��.

And she had booked her flight to travel for next weekend�.

Please treat as urgent �

Thank you all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 4:49pm On Jun 17, 2021
tunapawizzy:

Oh I see. I will advice u put the name and contact details of the person you interacted with at the international office OR admission office of your university.

The applicant can select School official in the options and use the name written on the i20.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.