Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,003 members, 7,810,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1639317 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2021
AOJA:
Good day my people, I have been a member of this group since January and I will say kudos to the admin and every member of this group, they have been helpful in one way or the other. Although I joined this group because of my sister that is planning to go to the US for Spring 2022.

A friend of mine that I introduced to this group called me last week Friday that she hasn't gotten back her passport since her interview day on the 3rd of June, she said she was sent an email that her passport is ready for pick up, I advised her to be patient that she would get it soonest maybe her pick up location has some challenges with getting it from Lagos.

What forced me to post here today was that, I asked her this afternoon how far and she said she hasn't gotten the passport till date which amazed me because I know DHL is very good and they don't disappoint, the location she chose was DHL Akure and for the times she had been there they said they haven't received any passport.

So I would like to ask the house what can i advise her to do.

NB-She has started class for the spring semester online already ��.

And she had booked her flight to travel for next weekend�.

Please treat as urgent �

Thank you all

Has she called the embassy?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tunapawizzy: 5:00pm On Jun 17, 2021
fantabulous08:

Please I want to verify this

What if you filled that you have a brother in the USA on your ds-160 form and you stood on your ground during the interview that you have no one there. Will they still find out you do? (Especially if he’s a citizen)
I thought people say they ask questions based on your ds-160 and what you have on your I-20
If you have a brother In the US, there is a 99% chance they know, if a VO asks if u have a relative in the US, just say the truth.....its not likely it is a random question.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ivoryb: 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
Hi Homodele, was your visa approved?
homodele:
Please guys,, help me review my revised  transcript. MY INTERVIEW IS TOMORROW...Questions with asterisks means I'm not sure if their responses are well constructed.

ME: Good morning Sir/Ma
CONSULAR: Good morning

CONSULAR: Pass me Your Passport and i-20
[ME]: Okay Sir/Ma (passes it)

CONSULAR: Why Are You Going to the US?
[ME]: I am going to the US for my Master’s degree in Econometrics and Quantitative Economics at the Western Illinois University, Macomb. 

***CONSULAR: How did you hear about this school?
[ME]: After coming across a research paper written by Professor Shankar Ghimire which was very useful to me during an undergraduate study, I grew interested in the scope and works of Professor Ghimire. Furthermore, I complemented Professor Ghimire on the excellent knowledge he shared in his research paper and I also informed him of my strong desire in having a graduate degree in an analytical field of Economics. Professor Ghimire who happens to be the program advisor of the quantitative economics program at the Western Illinois University informed me of the scientific economics program they run that would fit my description. Upon Professor Ghimire recommendation of the Western Illinois University, I carried out an extensive personal research on this school by making use of search engines such as 4icu, US News, The Grad Café, and I was better informed and at the same time convinced with the high analytical program offered by the western Illinois university that perfectly meets my academic desire.

CONSULAR: How Many Schools Did You Apply To, how many gave you admission and name them? 
[ME]: I applied to 4 Universities, and all 4 gave me an admission. They are; Western Illinois University, University of Colorado Boulder, Rowan University, and Youngstown State University.

CONSULAR: Why did you pick this school/ why Western Illinois University?
[ME]: I picked WIU because it shifted from the traditional economics coursework which comprises of Economic theories but rather emphasizes on data analysis, data optimization, and data interpretation as courses to be undertaken in the program. This would give me a more practical and scientific approach to my career as a financial analyst. Furthermore the quantitative economics program of the western Illinois University is classified as a stem degree as opposed to others which are non-stem. This would expose me to unlimited researches and scientific analysis which is an essential tool to my career growth.

CONSULAR: What is this course about?
[ME]: Econometrics and quantitative economics is a branch of economics that focuses on the systematic study of how to make use of mathematics, statistics and data analysis to analyze economic phenomenon and problems in a scientific manner with the aim of providing practical and scientific solutions. E.Q.E is a field of economics that depicts and explains economic theories using mathematical models, statistical diagram, and data analytics.

CONSULAR: What will this degree do for you?
[ME]: The Quantitative Economics degree will provide me with the analytical skills needed to achieve my short term career objective as a Financial Analyst at the Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigeria. In this position, this degree will provide me with the expertise needed for analyzing financial situation. Furthermore this degree will provide with the knowledge needed to manage data effectively for business decision.  My long term goal however, is to become a financial consultant and advisor to the Federal and State Government of Nigeria.       

CONSULAR: Tell Me About Your Academic Background?
[ME]: I graduated from the Osun State University in 2019 with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics and a Second Class Upper grade. As an undergraduate, I was an active student in the research department of my undergraduate institution. At the time, I was involved with carrying out researches and analyzing related data because I am competent in the mathematical analysis of economic phenomenal. In addition, due to my selfless act, I organized tutorials and tutor my colleagues and junior students on various economics courses.

CONSULAR: What Have You Been Doing since you graduated?
[ME]: After graduating from Uni Osun in 2019, I undertook the compulsory Nigerian Youth service scheme. In this scheme I was deployed to the Lagos State Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget, where I contributed to sourcing for development partners’ ready to collaborate with the Lagos state government on various developmental issues, I also attended stakeholder meetings where deliberations were made on the review and Implementation of the Yearly Lagos state government budget. After a successful completion of this scheme, I got a job as a Financial Analyst Trainee at *****. In this position I am being trained on analyzing various financial trends, providing statistical analysis for various financial decisions, and researching on business opportunities and threats.

****CONSULAR: What are those courses you’ll be taking in Fall semester?
[ME]: I will be taking 6 core courses and 3 elective courses. Some of the core courses are; Macroeconomic Theory and Policy by Professor Ghimire, Price Theory by Professor Lin, Econometrics 1 by Professor Kassing, Statistical Software for Data Management and Decision Making by Professor Jessica. The elective courses are; Thesis Research and Thesis in which a supervisor will provided to me upon decision of the departmental graduate faculty.

CONSULAR: What are your Study plans?
[ME]: I will be taking a total of 30 semester credit hours , which comprises of 6 core courses and 3 elective courses namely; Macroeconomic Theory and Policy, Econometrics 1, Price Theory, Econometrics 2, Advanced Mathematical Economics, Statistical Software for Data Management and Decision Making, big data for business decision making, and advanced data mining for business. I am expected to complete my program on the 12th of May, 2023.

CONSULAR: Did You Write Any Standardized Test?
[ME]: Yes, I took the GRE test, with a total score of 300.

CONSULAR: Are you married?
[ME]: No, I am not married.

CONSULAR: Have You Travelled Before?
[ME]: No I haven’t had a reason to travel out of the country.

CONSULAR: I understand you have a deficit of $18,000,  Who Is Paying For This?
[ME]: Thats right, the total COA fee for my program is $22,600. However, I received an international commitment scholarship in the sum of $4000 due to my impressive undergraduate academic achievements which would be covering a portion of my tuition  and my mother will be paying the deficit.

V.O: What does she do?
[ME]:  She is a successful business woman in the Nigerian hospitality industry. She specializes as an Hotelier owning three 4-Star Hotels, 2 in Lagos state, and 1 in Sagamu, Ogun state. She also has a home appliances Supermarket in Ibadan, Oyo state and a total staff strength of 35 employees who works for her.

V.O: Has she Traveled before? (This question was asked at my previous interview and I replied with NO SHE HAS NOT, but the moment I said no, i felt it in my body, like I should have said YES)
[ME]: Yes, as a business woman, she's traveled to Dubai, China, and she recently got back from India.

CONSULAR: What do you do presently?
[ME]: I am currently employed as a financial analyst trainee at *****, a Private Firm rendering financial and accounting services, where I am gaining experience which will prepare me for my Masters in Quantitative Economics. In this position I analyze financial instrument, examine various financial decisions made by our clients, prepare statistical model to aid the firm’s senior management decision, and I carry out SWOT analysis for various client, amongst other functions.

V.O: What will this degree do for you?
[ME]: This degree alongside the experiences I would be gaining from this program will move me higher in my career ladder to the position of a full time financial analyst.

V.O: What are your plans after the completion of your program?
[ME]: Upon completion of my program, my immediate plan is to return back to Nigeria to work as a full time Financial Risk Analyst specifically at the Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigeria. In this position I will work in the capacity of a consultant rendering financial risk analysis to selected private institutions in the Financial Industry. My medium term plan is to work as an Investment Analyst at the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority. In this position, I will analyze the investment decision of the federal government, and give necessary recommendation on the most profitable and viable investments. My inevitable long term plan is to establish a financial consulting firm, rendering advisory and consultation services to the public and private sector.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by didogzy: 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
opeyemioguns:
I'm still in the process of filling my DS160 currently and I've supplied visa appointment information up to picking date. I've chosen Lagos on both but want to change to abuja. How can I do that successfully?

If you haven’t submitted your visa application, just go back and pick abuja
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2021
ayofag:

Has she called the embassy?

She tried calling them but they weren't picking up, so she wrote them an email using the email provided on the white paper given to her during the interview, they responded that it has been sent to the location she picked.

That's why it's all confusing, she is afraid they have lost her passport or something like that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SaAyomikun(m): 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2021
Good people of nairaland
I have a quick question, please

I graduated in 2019 from a federal university in Nigeria, finished my service last October and just got a job last month. My purpose for taking this job is simply to gather money cos I know applying for masters abroad (US) requires money. Now while working, I have decided to start gathering my documents and details little by little. Now, the thing is, I am a little confused in the area of recommendation letters from University lecturers cos I know it is an essential document. My question now is :

Please, is it advisable I go back to school to collect recommendation letters from my university lecturers (hard copy) or I wait until the admission process starts, so they can help me send them to the school via email ? (cos I read in a previous thread that some universities in the US take only recommendation letters sent from the lecturers e-mails. Please, which one of the two do US universities take more?

I'd appreciate honest and quick responses, please, help a naive young lad.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 17, 2021
Call DHL. Has she received a mail saying her passport has been picked up from the embassy?
AOJA:
Good day my people, I have been a member of this group since January and I will say kudos to the admin and every member of this group, they have been helpful in one way or the other. Although I joined this group because of my sister that is planning to go to the US for Spring 2022.

A friend of mine that I introduced to this group called me last week Friday that she hasn't gotten back her passport since her interview day on the 3rd of June, she said she was sent an email that her passport is ready for pick up, I advised her to be patient that she would get it soonest maybe her pick up location has some challenges with getting it from Lagos.

What forced me to post here today was that, I asked her this afternoon how far and she said she hasn't gotten the passport till date which amazed me because I know DHL is very good and they don't disappoint, the location she chose was DHL Akure and for the times she had been there they said they haven't received any passport.

So I would like to ask the house what can i advise her to do.

NB-She has started class for the spring semester online already ��.

And she had booked her flight to travel for next weekend�.

Please treat as urgent �

Thank you all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2021
Wait until the admission process starts. I have applied to quite a number of universities here in the US and I can't remember when last anyone asked for hard copy of recommendation letter. Things are changing. Everyone is moving with new technology. Just wait.

SaAyomikun:
Good people of nairaland
I have a quick question, please

I graduated in 2019 from a federal university in Nigeria, finished my service last October and just got a job last month. My purpose for taking this job is simply to gather money cos I know applying for masters abroad (US) requires money. Now while working, I have decided to start gathering my documents and details little by little. Now, the thing is, I am a little confused in the area of recommendation letters from University lecturers cos I know it is an essential document. My question now is :

Please, is it advisable I go back to school to collect recommendation letters from my university lecturers (hard copy) or I wait until the admission process starts, so they can help me send them to the school via email ? (cos I read in a previous thread that some universities in the US take only recommendation letters sent from the lecturers e-mails. Please, which one of the two do US universities take more?

I'd appreciate honest and quick responses, please, help a naive young lad.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bigsecret(f): 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
Send the necessary documents to the school to obtain your i20.
Pay for Visa fee.
Fill your Ds 160 form
Pay your Sevis fee
Gather all your documents
Prepare well and pray
Go get the Visa.
Duisburg:
Hello house. I'm one of those Germany die-hards who got disappointed by the German consulate in Nigeria.
However, I got accepted by Western illinois university yesterday and I believe it's a better option for me. But you see, because I've never been into US visa stuff like Germany, I can hardly understand all the f1 visa process well. Could anyone please help with the steps to follow?

Many thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christabeliciou: 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2021
Pls a quick one, assumed ve started my ds160 application not submitted but schedule appointment, how long or duration do I have to complete d ds160 before it expire. Thanks

didogzy:

If you haven’t submitted your visa application, just go back and pick abuja
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SaAyomikun(m): 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2021
abbeYhart:
Wait until the admission process starts. I have applied to quite a number of universities here in the US and I can't remember when last anyone asked for hard copy of recommendation letter. Things are changing. Everyone is moving with new technology. Just wait.

I understand that. Thank you very much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Imustreturn(m): 5:41pm On Jun 17, 2021
Brethren please how much is Wes fee online?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2021
KemLaughs:
Call DHL. Has she received a mail saying her passport has been picked up from the embassy?

Okay
Which of the DHL offices should she call, she has been to the one in Akure twice, the second time is today .

She received an email from the US embassy that her passport has been collected from the US embassy

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 5:55pm On Jun 17, 2021
Someone who used them recently may be able to help you out but I think you can budget like 200 to 300 dollars. I remember it is something within that range when I used them.

Keep in mind that the total you pay differs from one person to another depending on the number of transcripts to be evaluated like for cases whereby you have like two degrees from two different universities. I also think you will pay a little for the transcripts to be forwarded to the universities. It may be different now. Someone who did recently may give you a more updated information

Imustreturn:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2021
I would like to ask if there is anyone that had received their passport from the pick up station so far in this month.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Friedpotato: 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2021
Is there anyone who has their interview tomorrow but just got shifted to Monday?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shadbay(m): 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2021
Please, does the embassy accept electronic I-20?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Helkayklassic(m): 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2021
$205

Imustreturn:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2021
Shadbay:

Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2021
She should Call or Mail DHL head office in Nigeria informing them about what's happening and attach this mail as reference.

She should also send a mail to US Travel Docs informing them with this mail as reference.

Finally, she has to keep calling them day and night and sending mails literarily till she gets her passport back.
AOJA:

Okay
Which of the DHL offices should she call, she has been to the one in Akure twice, the second time is today .

She received an email from the US embassy that her passport has been collected from the US embassy

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2021
AOJA:

Okay

Call the DHL customer care line
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Helkayklassic(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2021
Osmund6:
What if I was asked to explain my father's financial status, please someone should help me out

You are the only one that know your Dad financial status hence you are the only one that can explain it.

If there is any issue which is giving you any concern then explain it well and let people help you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Imustreturn(m): 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2021
Helkayklassic:
$205

ok thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2021
KemLaughs:
She should Call or Mail DHL head office in Nigeria informing them about what's happening and attach this mail as reference.

She should also send a mail to US Travel Docs informing them with this mail as reference.

Finally, she has to keep calling them day and night and sending mails literarily till she gets her passport back.

Thank you so much Kemlaughs

But can you help me with the email of the DHL head office because even at their office today, they didn't give her or perhaps their customer service number.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Helkayklassic(m): 6:17pm On Jun 17, 2021
fantabulous08:

Please I want to verify this

What if you filled that you have a brother in the USA on your ds-160 form and you stood on your ground during the interview that you have no one there. Will they still find out you do? (Especially if he’s a citizen)
I thought people say they ask questions based on your ds-160 and what you have on your I-20

Nothing like saying the truth bro, as you’ll not need to rack your brain before you defend any question being asked. If you lie, you’ll have to plan another lie to cover up your lie therefore putting yourself in more problems.

Also, having someone in the US doesn’t mean you won’t get your visa, just look for a way to show hometies. I read a transcript here yesterday or so, the person have 3 or so relatives in the US and he/she still got his/her visa.

Good luck

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 6:18pm On Jun 17, 2021
ayofag:

Call the DHL customer care line

Thanks ayofag, I would notify her shortly about this.

But how does she get the customer care line.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abbeYhart(m): 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2021
Yes. Two people I know went for interview with electronic I-20. One did confirm from the consulate before doing that. I have attached evidence to satisfy your curiosity.

Shadbay:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Helkayklassic(m): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2021
Duisburg:
Hello house. I'm one of those Germany die-hards who got disappointed by the German consulate in Nigeria.
However, I got accepted by Western illinois university yesterday and I believe it's a better option for me. But you see, because I've never been into US visa stuff like Germany, I can hardly understand all the f1 visa process well. Could anyone please help with the steps to follow?

Many thanks.

Sorry about that bro. Germany dey really do you guys strong things. I was following the thread before i left. Cat A and Cat B. Lool.

You’ll need to request for your 1-20 by sending the necessary documents to WIU, pay for your visa fee, fill your DS-160 form, book appointment, pay sevis fee and prepare very well for your interview then go get your visa.

NB : It is not so easy as it is listed up there but still much easier than Germany own. Lol. Good luck.

Hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 6:27pm On Jun 17, 2021
AOJA:

Thank you so much Kemlaughs

But can you help me with the email of the DHL head office because even at their office today, they didn't give her or perhaps their customer service number.

Do a Google search pls. It's a direct contact. Don't want to paste any number here

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
AOJA:

Thanks ayofag, I would notify her shortly about this.

But how does she get the customer care line.

Frustrate them with calls until they cooperate
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
Someone just told me about this. Yes they moved interviews.
Friedpotato:
Is there anyone who has their interview tomorrow but just got shifted to Monday?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AOJA: 6:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
ayofag:

Frustrate them with calls until they cooperate

Okay

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.