Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! - TV/Movies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! (35678 Views)

Registration For Gulder Ultimate Search 10 Begins, Register Here / Gulder Ultimate Search 9 / Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV) On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Go Down)

Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Shaunscot(m): 2:36am On Aug 11, 2007
Anthony Mudiaga was his name and he was the only son of his mother. Anthony was a Geology graduate of Delta State University. He was also the first contestant to be called during the final selection of the Gulder Ultimate Search 4. But, Anthony died before he could go home with the prize money he was aiming to win.

Skip to next paragraph

File
Mudiaga, shortly before his death

On July 29, at Planet One, a popular events venue in Lagos, where the last 10 contestants out of 18 were chosen for the popular GUS 4, Anthony was there. He was neither agitated nor tensed, he knew he merited to be part of the top ten. And of course, Anthony was the first to be called.

July 30, Anthony decked in jeans and tee shirt, was at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos along with other contestants for the trip to Jos via Abuja. He was in high spirit, exchanging jokes with the other ‘soldiers’.

July 31, decked in proper Jos traditional attire, looking like a millionaire-to-be, Anthony joined the other ‘soldiers’ for a courtesy call at the Government House.

That was when Life and Beat met the young man.

Do you see yourself winning the competition?” Life and Beat asked.

“Yes. I am very confident. I worked hard for it. We are all winners, but I know I will go home with the prize money,” Anthony said.

Five million naira is appreciable money. What would he do with the money? Life and Beat asked Anthony

“I will pay my tithe. Then again, I hope to improve the lives of my family members,” he said.

But just two days into the search that would have been aired on televisions last Wednesday, Anthony died.

According to Chuma Igwe, Corporate Communication Adviser of NB Plc, organisers of the reality show, Anthony died in a drowning accident.

When Life and Beat was at Shere Hills before the incident, the organisers said divers and a medical team were on hand in case of an accident. Didn’t they move fast enough to save the young man’s life?

Igwe said, “According to reports, the divers went into action immediately he disappeared. They searched for him for sometime before they located him. All efforts to revive him by the Critical Rescue International medical team on ground failed thereafter.”

But one of the criteria for choosing contestants was that they should be good swimmers. Did the organisers make a wrong selection in Mudiaga?

Igwe said, “Out of the over 25, 000 that applied, 43 persons who qualified after so many shortlistings were further sent to Sea School, where more rigorous tests involving physical exercises and swimming tests were conducted. This last set of tests required basic swimming, solo manoeuvring skills around the Lagoon and deep diving from aboard a ship. Eighteen persons qualified out of the 43. Based on further review, the 10 fittest young men and women were finally chosen to contest for GUS4 laurels in Shere hills Jos.”

Igwe disclosed that the other contestants are in grief, but they “are calm and collected.”

Would NB Plc pay compensation to the guy’s family? To that, Igwe said, “ Compensation is not an issue to be discussed now. We have just lost a well-groomed young man. We intend to get our priorities right.”

THat was gotten from punch
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by MAURI: 8:34am On Aug 11, 2007
Alos,
I do feel you on your lamentations of the daily horrors the average Nigerian go through to make ends meet.
I guess the point Will is trying to make, is that, these companies could as well live up to their societal and communal responsibilities in more meaningful and effective ways:
that will bring about maximum positive impact on the lives of the Nigerian citizens.
As already suggested i.e. organising scholarships. If the funds spent on a program as ultimate search, is spent on offering scholarships to Nigerians. You can imagine the positive chain reaction this will bring about in the homes of a lot of families in Nigeria.
As against offering 5million Naira, a jeep and 500,000.00 for clothing to an individual who will lavish it all in a few years.
I do understand the fact that these companies do have their target markets and programs as the ultimate search, are geared towards reaching out to these target markets.
The ugly fact remains that, in a country like Nigeria, where the gap between the rich and poor is enormous, lack of adequate health care facilities, lack of good roads, high unemployment rate, to name but a few. Is it then judicious and effective spending so much dough on programs as the ultimate search?
Nigerian youths will derive more benefits from programs that will enhance their potentials and make them more aware and conscious of the fact that they are Nigeria’ future politically, intellectually, economically etc.
Finally, there is a difference between taking necessary / measured risks and being desperate.
May d guy’ soul rest in peace.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by SEA(m): 9:19am On Aug 11, 2007
It's sad. A colossal lost to the entire nation.
NB should take full responsibilty for this ugly incident. How dare they organised without putting in place adequate security for lives of the participant. I strongly believe that such a river should have enough rescue team monitoring participants.They are careless. They only care about money and place less premium on lives. I live them in the hand of God. My heart bleeds for the famiily.
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace. Amen
I love and miss you though I didn't know you,
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by wills(m): 9:54am On Aug 11, 2007
@Mauri, Thanks a lot, you see this issue from the bigger perspective, its not just about the death of this young man or if NB should be dragged to court in a 100M law suit.

Its about NB and other companies to become more responsive to the needs of  Today’s Nigeria, I think a scholarship or some kind of youth development program will go a long way to achieve a far better thing for the common good of the Nigerian youth , than any”Ultimate” search would.

Let just imagine this guys death happened at a Youth career development program or some other kind of youth development boot camp being organized by NB,  I for one wont be crying crucify NB, but as it stands now am one of the people shouting nail NB.

I know they are in business to brew products, sell ,make a profit for the benefit of its shareholders and the good of the employees, and must market,promote and advertise their products ,but it dose not end there, for any good organization they MUST show some form of community responsibility, and so far the way NB has chosen to show that societal responsibility is in ways to promote there product , eg Star quest, Star mage Jam and the Ultimate death, opps! Sorry search, just entertainment well life is not all about entertainment, (jams and reality TV.) NB should also shove some of that much need money into the Nigerian brand (you, me, and everyone)
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by 9ja4eva: 12:15pm On Aug 11, 2007
LOL

Funny post
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by denex: 4:45pm On Aug 11, 2007
@afam1 & babyosisi

let the dead busy their dead, and let the living carry on with the show.

If I sit down in my parlour and shed tears, will it make Nigerian youths less stubborn as not to enter challenges they cannot overcome?
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Configur(m): 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2007
denex,i agree with you.but we still gats to show sympathy,remember its d african culture smiley
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Seun(m): 5:50pm On Aug 11, 2007
it's not good manners to abuse and insult the dead.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by iyes(m): 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2007
@ DENEX

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

IF WE FOLLOW THE "CRUCIFICATION THEORISTS" VICTIMS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ACCIDENTS THAT MAIM OR KILL THEM.

BY EXTENSION, AUTO MAKERS ARE TO BLAME FOR ALL ROAD ACCIDENTS AS LONG AS THERE IS A CASUALTY - INCLUDING DRUNK DRIVING, NON-USEAGE OF SEAT BELTS!
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Seun(m): 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2007
there's no point blaming someone who has already paid the ultimate price.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 11, 2007
Seun:

there's no point blaming someone who has already paid the ultimate price.

almost as though they are killing him over and over again.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Orikinla(m): 8:29pm On Aug 11, 2007
wills:

@Mauri, Thanks a lot, you see this issue from the bigger perspective, its not just about the death of this young man or if NB should be dragged to court in a 100M law suit.

Its about NB and other companies to become more responsive to the needs of Today’s Nigeria, I think a scholarship or some kind of youth development program will go a long way to achieve a far better thing for the common good of the Nigerian youth , than any”Ultimate” search would.

Let just imagine this guys death happened at a Youth career development program or some other kind of youth development boot camp being organized by NB, I for one wont be crying crucify NB, but as it stands now am one of the people shouting nail NB.

I know they are in business to brew products, sell ,make a profit for the benefit of its shareholders and the good of the employees, and must market,promote and advertise their products ,but it dose not end there, for any good organization they MUST show some form of community responsibility, and so far the way NB has chosen to show that societal responsibility is in ways to promote there product , eg Star quest, Star mage Jam and the Ultimate death, opps! Sorry search, just entertainment well life is not all about entertainment, (jams and reality TV.) NB should also shove some of that much need money into the Nigerian brand (you, me, and everyone)

Thank you for your enlightenment.

NB does not mean well with this copycat reality show or whatever rubbish it is called.

The ulterior motive is to lure our youths to drink more intoxicants and sugar in the beer and malt drinks.

I am speaking from what I know.

Opportunism will kill desperate Nigerians in their greed for fame and fortune.

We want to copy the Americans and Western Europeans who have taken care of their social security services and they have done the best for their communities. But we cannot even provide simple accommodation for our youths in schools.

Have you been to the toilets in Moremi Hall at the University of Lagos?
You will faint at the eye sore.

Have you seen the toilets in our police and military barracks?
Do you see how our police and military officers and their families live like dogs in Nigerian barracks?
Can you compare them to those in the US and the UK?

But our comporate companies who cannot sponsor scholarships and building hostels waste millions of Naira on useless parodies of Western TV Reality Shows.

Go to the US and the UK and see how much millions of dollars and pounds, corporations spend on American and British schools and other programs for their youths?
I know, because I report the news and press statements daily online.
The corporations send the press releases of what they are doing for American and British schools and colleges to journalists.
Corporate social responsibility and charity earn them some waivers in taxes.

Is there enough insurance for such tragedies as the unfortunate death of Anthony Mudiaga Ogadje?

Do Nigerian companies have the equipment to respond to such emergencies?

I just feel sorry for the bereaved family.

No amount of compensation can suffice.

Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by hollys(f): 12:22am On Aug 12, 2007
[color=#770077][/color]Such a sad story!if he had known!!!!Was that a riverI tend to think it was one of those abandoned mining ponds that have claimed the lives of innocents over the years!!!!!!How little we value our lives in this country.I think it was completely avoidable if it had been well researched like other developed countries.Where the organisers on aware of the dangers
May his soul and all the the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by denex: 7:02am On Aug 12, 2007
Nigeria Breweries advertised the place as a very dangerous place. Besides scorpions, snakes and a horrendous terrain, they also said there was QUICKSAND!

Which sane person will go and contest in a place where there is quicksand without contemplating death?

I am not here trying to blame this Anthony Mudiaga so that his corpse would be flogged to second death. What am saying is that Gulder did not advertise a flower planting competition.

You can imagine me going for a cigarette-smoking competition and expecting my death to be blamed on the organizers.

I have my own grouse with these "reality" shows but when I call on Nigerians to boycott them due to extremely low compensation packages compared to the effort they put in, Nigerians won't hear. (what is a $40,000 car and a "$40,000 compared to your life?). But since they've made their decision to willfully be involved, who are we to blame?

To me, once you are 21 years old, you can be adequately held responsible for every decision you make.

I Want To See How The Other Contestants Will Fare Jare. This Boy Should Not Use His Death To Become The Star Of The Show.

We came to watch a show, let's have a show!
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by bababanky1: 11:50am On Aug 12, 2007
I dont think the show should be yanked off air. I honestly feel the organisers should pay a good mount of money for the family, at least to show some concern.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by PTH(m): 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2007
denex:

Nigeria Breweries advertised the place as a very dangerous place. Besides scorpions, snakes and a horrendous terrain, they also said there was QUICKSAND!

Which sane person will go and contest in a place where there is quicksand without contemplating death?

I am not here trying to blame this Anthony Mudiaga so that his corpse would be flogged to second death. What am saying is that Gulder did not advertise a flower planting competition.

You can imagine me going for a cigarette-smoking competition and expecting my death to be blamed on the organizers.

I have my own grouse with these "reality" shows but when I call on Nigerians to boycott them due to extremely low compensation packages compared to the effort they put in, Nigerians won't hear. (what is a $40,000 car and a "$40,000 compared to your life?). But since they've made their decision to willfully be involved, who are we to blame?

To me, once you are 21 years old, you can be adequately held responsible for every decision you make.

I Want To See How The Other Contestants Will Fare Jare. This Boy Should Not Use His Death To Become The Star Of The Show.

for once i 100% agree with ur post, it even made me laugh. wonders shall never end. grin
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by denex: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2007
@PTH

I'm just saying the truth of the matter.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by PTH(m): 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2007
denex:

@PTH

I'm just saying the truth of the matter.

yeah, u're point made a whole lot of sense.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by 9ja4eva: 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2007
denex:

Yeah right
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by chrisoml(m): 3:37am On Aug 13, 2007
denex:

I agree with all that you have to say.
But don't forget that with that kind of price money people can go to any length not minding the risk involved.
i thought the organizers of this show would have put up some sort of security watch over the contestants and life guards as the case may be here.
May his Soul Rest in peace.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by uchetobi(f): 8:42am On Aug 13, 2007
Wills yea I understand your concern on how the money should be channeled towards scholarship and all, but don’t forget that entertainment is also a necessity; all Tv programme and sponsorship cannot be all about books and scholarships. That will be so boring, besides there are star trek and other talent hunt shows sponsored by NB
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Bluestream(m): 9:20am On Aug 13, 2007
Posted on: August 11, 2007, 06:01 PMPosted by: iyes  
Insert Quote
@ DENEX

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

IF WE FOLLOW THE "CRUCIFICATION THEORISTS"  VICTIMS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR  ACCIDENTS THAT MAIM OR KILL THEM.

BY EXTENSION, AUTO MAKERS ARE TO BLAME FOR ALL ROAD ACCIDENTS AS LONG AS THERE IS A CASUALTY - INCLUDING DRUNK DRIVING, NON-USEAGE OF SEAT BELTS!

@ Iyes, the fault in your logic is that you have not addressed the issue of possible brake failure, non-deployment of airbags etc,

@ Denex, you sound like a very intelligent fellow, I've been reading your posts on other threads, but I detect a tinge of excessive cynicsm to your tone atimes. My brother, trust me, $40,000 is a BIG deal to any young Nigerian, the lesser characters would actually kill for less. So don't be so presumptous as to think that your financial condition is a benchmark for a lot of your brothers in Nigeria, thre is a word for it; P.O.V.E.R.T.Y!

My guess is you live abroad( 4give if I'm wrong) and don't quite appreciate how bad it is.

Anthony took a chance, a dangerous one maybe, but a legitimate shot at breaking out of poverty. I'm telliing myself that he must have counted on the organizers to provide a fail safe system if anything went wrong, he did not sign up for a suicide mission.

I don't even want to go in to the issue of copying western programs,or if therE are no better wasy of corporate promotion, water under the bridge. My grouse is if you chose to do it this way, why couldn't you do it right? Whatever you throw their way, Nigerian kids will take it on, so why not take the extra care to be sure they are safe?

What were the chances of anyone dying or getting maimed during BankPHB's TV show 'The Intern'?, but lets leave that alone.

I feel so strongly about it that I have instructed my broker to offload every single share of NB in my portfolio.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Oyindamy(f): 9:56am On Aug 13, 2007
@ BLUESTREAM:
I strong agree with your view that the guy only took a legitimate risk in breaking the yolk of Poverty and one would have counted on the organizers for safety incase of necessity.

Anthony, Adieu!!!!!!!!
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Oyindamy(f): 9:58am On Aug 13, 2007
@ BLUESTREAM:
I strongly agree with your view that the guy only took a legitimate risk in breaking the yolk of Poverty and one would have counted on the organizers for safety incase of necessity.

Anthony, Adieu!!!!!!!!
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by ayanjide(m): 11:29am On Aug 13, 2007
when in this world can we stop been who we are?full of criticisms,lets stop apportioning blames to neither nb nor the organisers of the show,this is not the first reality show in the history of gulder ultimate search,we are talking about gus 4 here,it has all been successful. why don't we see it that, it's when tragedy wants to struck,no one is to blame here.the only thing necessary here is to commit his soul to eternal rest. may your soul respect in perfect peace brother.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by wills(m): 11:32am On Aug 13, 2007
Bluestream:

What were the chances of anyone dying or getting maimed during BankPHB's TV show 'The Intern'?, but lets leave that alone.

I feel so strongly about it that I have instructed my broker to offload every single share of NB in my portfolio.

@Bluestream , WORD!
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by jjuummaaii(f): 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2007
Nija pple sha
we will never change,
if super eagles no win, them go blame coach, if they win them go shout haleluyah
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by jjuummaaii(f): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2007
Nija pple sha
we will never change,
if super eagles no win, them go blame coach, if they win them go shout haleluyah
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by loveone: 2:04pm On Aug 13, 2007
May Anthony soul rest in perfect peace Amen, What a big loss to his parent.
God will heal their heart in Jesus Name. angry sad
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by loveone: 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2007
Iyes, the fault in your logic is that you have not addressed the issue of possible brake failure, non-deployment of airbags etc,

@ Denex, you sound like a very intelligent fellow, I've been reading your posts on other threads, but I detect a tinge of excessive cynicsm to your tone atimes. My brother, trust me, $40,000 is a BIG deal to any young Nigerian, the lesser characters would actually kill for less. So don't be so presumptous as to think that your financial condition is a benchmark for a lot of your brothers in Nigeria, thre is a word for it; P.O.V.E.R.T.Y!

My guess is you live abroad( 4give if I'm wrong) and don't quite appreciate how bad it is.

Anthony took a chance, a dangerous one maybe, but a legitimate shot at breaking out of poverty. I'm telliing myself that he must have counted on the organizers to provide a fail safe system if anything went wrong, he did not sign up for a suicide mission.

I don't even want to go in to the issue of copying western programs,or if therE are no better wasy of corporate promotion, water under the bridge. My grouse is if you chose to do it this way, why couldn't you do it right? Whatever you throw their way, Nigerian kids will take it on, so why not take the extra care to be sure they are safe?[/b]
[/color][color=#990000]

You are very correct, Poverty in Nigeria can cause anyone to do anything. People that go to steal from banks etc risk their life cos they could get killed at the process. If not that i change my mind later i wanted to be part of it with my preg. cos that money can cause a change in anybody's life. So please dont blame Anthony at all, cos everyone of them are there for the money and nothing else. Am sure all those people talking now, if he has win the money now, all of you would have been saying a different story but becos it happen this way now you are blaming him. Am sure if they have chosen you people now, none of you will decline at all, trust Nigerian. So please stop all the blame and face the organizers for lack of security on the contestants.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2007
It's quite un-African to speak ill of the dead.
Re: Gulder Ultimate Search 4 (IV)! by iyes(m): 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2007
@ seun & loveone:

I'M NOT BLAMING THE DEAD FOR THE FUN OF IT, OR TRYING TO KILL HIM AGAIN FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE "HUNT", TO BE HONEST,THE MOTIVATION IS GREAT FOR AN UNEMPLOYED YOUTH IN NIGERIA OF TODAY!

HOWEVER, WHAT I DON'T & WON'T BUY IS THAT N.B. SHOULD TAKE THE BLAME OR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HIS FAILINGS, OR POOR SENSE OF JUDGEMENT OF HIS OWN CAPABILITIES! LAE-LAE!! THAT'S TANTAMONT TO FRAUD. 'CAUSE IT'S SHEERE WHIPPING UP EMOTIONS TO RIP THE COMPANY ILLEGALLY. IF NOT, LET A PRO-COMPENSATION LAWYER IN THE HOUSE PICK UP THE CASE (A LA GANI FAWEHINMI, AND LET'S SEE HOW THEY CAN WIN)

WHAT THE FAMILY IS ENTITLED TO IS THE INSURANCE COVER. NO MORE, NO LESS!!! PERHAPS, WITH THE BENEFIT OF THIS HINDSIGHT, FUTURE SHOWS WILL HAVE A HEAVIER INSURANCE COVERS PER CONTESTANTS. AND MAYBE THEN, THEY WILL ORGANIZE IT A HOLIDAY CAMP TO ELIMINATE DANGERS & RISKS, IF YOU GUYS CAN CONVINCE THE ORGANIZERS BY RAISE ENOUGH VOICE AGAINST HAZARDOUS CONTENTS OF THE SHOW.

VERILY, VERILY I SAY UNTO THEE: THE MINDSET OF ALL THE CONTESTANTS IS: "GET RICH OR DIE TRYING"

FOR NOW (THIS EPISODE) LET THE SHOW BIGIN!!!!

STILL, I SAY; CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Q.E.D. (I SHALL SAY NO MORE ON THIS TOPIC)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13)

BBNaija: How Ike Reacted After Mercy Hugged Joe / BBNaija: Tunde Ednut Blasts Tacha For Failing To Define "Characteristics" / Rita Dominic And Ramsey Nouah Star In New Movie About 1976 Coup D'etat [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.