Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? (2862 Views)

My Payback To The Girl Who Broke My Heart. / Confusion As Bayelsa Girl Child Gets Two ‘faces’ Nengi And Ebizi / Hilarious Memes About The Girl That Proposed To Her Boyfriend And Got Rejected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2021
You can't deny the fact that women are regarded as second class citizens in Africa and in Nigeria to be precise.
Coming across cases where by young girls are not granted freedom until they're ready to settle down.

Discussing with most girls about this,I got to know many of the challenges they had to go through just cause,they where not granted the privilege to actually be independent.

In some cases,parents never allow their girl child leave the home in search of a better life. They'll most likely bring it to your knowledge that they can provide everything you need.

People,especially men when they see a lady who stays alone comfortably without her family tend to think the girl is most likely wayward.

People tend to think;
1) You're irresponsible
2) Possibly have no parents
3) A prodigal child
4) Sponsored by sugar daddies.
5) Prostitute.

You'll come across people mostly advising you to stay with your family till you find a man.
I've come across many ladies who this type of mentality didn't only rob but,it equally rendered them confused as to what to make out of life.

Complaining everyday that Nigerian ladies are so dependent, don't you think it would be wise to allow them chase their dreams in their youth.

Limiting them to their father's money,do you think that most likely will make them independent??

Please,I think most of the problems women face in Nigeria are just as a result of the society and how men view women as good for nothing.

Any possible way to eradicate this practice?

What do you think about it and would you allow your daughter live alone if she comes to you with the plan of doing so??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Kalatium(m): 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2021
Its called stereotype for a reason. While not everyone can be thesame but there are high number of women who are just the way you so

1) they are irresponsible
3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

Not All women are so but there are alot that have done it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Tajbol4splend(m): 12:32pm On Jan 31, 2021
Kalatium:
Its called stereotype for a reason. While not everyone can be thesame but there are high number of women who are just the way you so

3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

Well the thing is most women in that category qualify for your description, majority of them are like that maybe not all of them

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 31, 2021
It's all in your mind. There's no discrimination against women in Nigeria. Women are given the same academic and professional opportunities as men in all fields. Stop cooking up myths to get more privileges. What worked in the West to grant women superiority will not work here.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 31, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
It's all in your mind. There's no discrimination against women in Nigeria. Women are given the same academic and professional opportunities as men in all fields. Stop cooking up myths to get more privileges. What worked in the West to grant women superiority will not work here.
Grant women superiority!!??

Lol

Now that's more like it.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 31, 2021
Kalatium:

3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

Will you grant your daughter that privilege if she comes up with the idea?? And why?

Honest reply.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by chatinent: 12:58pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO, make we date. Leave matter for Mathias.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Made619(m): 1:12pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

In some cases,parents never allow their girl child leave the home in search of a better life. They'll most likely bring it to your knowledge that they can provide everything you need.
It's not about leaving the home in search of a better life but you and I know things don't always go as we plan them. A man can leave his father's house in search for something better,this sometimes going far to a place he doesn't even know some sleep in uncompleted buildings,under bridges, places you can't imagine just to survive and keep the struggle going,my boss left Lagos to Abuja in search of something better,he had to sleep inside the company on the bare floor for 6months b4 getting to where he is today. Now can a lady survive the challenges the comes with seeking greener pastures without compromising with her body? now that's what most parents are afraid of, because believe me when those challenges comes she will compromise to make ends meet but a guy can't do that.

A guy rather drinks garri for 1year in the game of huzzling and surviving. A lady can never do it.

So StacyO I believe you see reasons now.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Leshurr(f): 2:17pm On Jan 31, 2021
If Aristotle, one of the greatest philosophers of all time can say this, how much more society at large?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Deicide: 2:25pm On Jan 31, 2021
Because majority of Females have Fish brain
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by scofield114: 2:39pm On Jan 31, 2021
if u leave your fathers house like guys do babe u will be raped several times can u sleep under the bridge for months

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by scofield114: 2:41pm On Jan 31, 2021
even in the so called europe females dont leave their parents house unless they financially secured or get a boyfriend to live with

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Yusufisraelj(m): 2:47pm On Jan 31, 2021
Made619:
It's not about leaving the home in search of a better life but you and I know things don't always go as we plan them. A man can leave his father's house in search for something better,this sometimes going far to a place he doesn't even know some sleep in uncompleted buildings,under bridges, places you can't imagine just to survive and keep the struggle going,my boss left Lagos to Abuja in search of something better,he had to sleep inside the company on the bare floor for 6months b4 getting to where he is today. Now can a lady survive the challenges the comes with seeking greener pastures without compromising with her body? now that's what most parents are afraid of, because believe me when those challenges comes she will compromise to make ends meet but a guy can't do that.

A guy rather drinks garri for 1year in the game of huzzling and surviving. A lady can never do it.

So StacyO I believe you see reasons now.

Your points are solidly valid, remembered a point in case where a lady was told to sleep with her superior just to secure certain favours. It's tougher for women especially from very humble backgrounds.

That's why in my house every one is encouraged to pursue values and skills they believe in and that which will be rewarding to them but more importantly to live a life greater than one's self. And if they think they can survive alone outside, then they are given the chance but when they see that they can't survive the house is always the fall back plan, since my elder sister left, she only comes to visit and go back but never to stay until marriage, God forbid, what kind of a woman will that be? Living to get married? Haba.

Not all homes will be like mine, but a life that is over protected is a weak one.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 31, 2021
y'all cry us a river
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Made619(m): 3:36pm On Jan 31, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Your points are solidly valid, remembered a point in case where a lady was told to sleep with her superior just to secure certain favours. It's tougher for women especially from very humble backgrounds.

That's why in my house every one is encouraged to pursue values and skills they believe in and that which will be rewarding to them but more importantly to live a life greater than one's self. And if they think they can survive alone outside, then they are given the chance but when they see that they can't survive the house is always the fall back plan, since my elder sister left, she only comes to visit and go back but never to stay until marriage, God forbid, what kind of a woman will that be? Living to get married? Haba.

Not all homes will be like mine, but a life that is over protected is a weak one.
Don't get me wrong bro not saying a lady should sit at home idle waiting for a husband,nah not at all.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

Grant women superiority!!??

Lol

Now that's more like it.

That's what true feminism always angles for. In Africa, our bellies are too empty for that kind of attitude to go far.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Amarachibaby(f): 4:01pm On Jan 31, 2021
Most parents don't want their children(female) to exprience the hardship of life in the cos of their overprotective character they end up makin life more difficult for them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 31, 2021
Amarachibaby:
Most parents don't want their children(female) to exprience the hardship of life in the cos of their overprotective character they end up makin life more difficult for them

Keeping them at home and pampering them is making life more difficult for them? Woman, you know nothing of the responsibilities and blame that men face everyday once they graduate; and which women are kept from. That's why you think life is more difficult for you than for your brother.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 31, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

That's what true feminism always angles for. In Africa, our bellies are too empty for that kind of attitude to go far.

What is your definition of superiority??

You mean in Africa, the women are considered inferior and as such,they have to lick your feet before you give them attention.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 31, 2021
Amarachibaby:

Honestly,it's the main source of the line
"" Nigerian women are not independent ""
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Strict parental training is a common thing in Nigeria and it has actually saved few but,led many astray.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

What is your definition of superiority??

You mean in Africa, the women are considered inferior and as such,they have to lick your feet before you give them attention.

The expectation of being given unmerited special privileges; backed by law; in situations where the perceived adversary would not receive any.

Dumb question. It's not either/or. There can be situations where no one has to lick anyone's feet. Each only has to properly perform his/her obligatory duties in his/her assigned roles.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by SILENTandSMART2: 4:57pm On Jan 31, 2021
I don't understand all what you wrote , summarize cus you wrote nonsense
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 31, 2021
Leshurr:
If Aristotle, one of the greatest philosophers of all time can say this, how much more society at large?

First,get your gender right.
Then,you can argue amongst humans. undecided

Aristotle might just not know much like he was overhyped to.

Everyone has a purpose, both male and female.

No body is superior to the other. It's just that women are weaker when comparing "strength".

Give a woman presidency and watch how she rules far more better than her male counterparts.
History knows better tongue

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 31, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

The expectation of being given unmerited special privileges; backed by law; in situations where the perceived adversary would not receive any.

Dumb question. It's not either/or. There can be situations where no one has to lick anyone's feet. Each only has to properly perform his/her obligatory duties in his/her assigned roles.

The female's role is to sit in her fathers house till she gets a husband??
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:
You can't deny the fact that women are regarded as second class citizens in Africa and in Nigeria to be precise.
Coming across cases where by young girls are not granted freedom until they're ready to settle down.

Discussing with most girls about this,I got to know many of the challenges they had to go through just cause,they where not granted the privilege to actually be independent.

People,especially men when they see a lady who stays alone comfortably without her family tend to think the girl is most likely wayward.

People tend to think;
1) You're irresponsible
3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

You'll come across people mostly advising you to stay with your family till you find a man.
I've come across many ladies who this type of mentality didn't only rob but,it equally rendered them confused as to what to make out of life.

Complaining everyday that Nigerian ladies are so dependent, don't you think it would be wise to allow them chase their dreams in their youth.

Limiting them to their father's money,do you think that most likely will make them independent??

Please,I think most of the problems women face in Nigeria are just as a result of the society and how men view women as good for nothing.

What do you think about it and would you allow your daughter live alone if she comes to you with the plan of doing so??

cc seun lalasticlala Dominique mynd44
No. I Won't.
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

People tend to think;
1) You're irresponsible
3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

Quick questions
Are you a feminist?
Are you advocating for gender equality?
Do you know what Progressivive societies like Norway, Canada, Denmark are going through by supporting Egalitarianistic-Equalistic ideologies all for the sake of gender equality?
Do you believe in Abortion?
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

Is it a bad thing?
Or you want them to be promiscuous and disguising that they are chasing careers

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Leshurr(f): 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

[s]First,get your gender right.
Then,you can argue amongst humans. undecided

Aristotle might just not know much like he was overhyped to.

Everyone has a purpose, both male and female.

No body is superior to the other. It's just that women are weaker when comparing "strength".

Give a woman presidency and watch how she rules far more better than her male counterparts.
History knows better[/s] tongue

First she says no gender is superior to the other, next minute she says a woman would rule better than her male counterparts cheesy
Confused fellow.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by tobechi74: 5:29pm On Jan 31, 2021
Most girls don't have sence by young age . If they are exposed too early, she either tearbeye finish nor she gets deceived and get pregnant.

Solution

Early sex education

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by IamPlato(m): 5:31pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

People tend to think;
1) You're irresponsible
3) A prodigal child
5) Prostitute.

sweetie you need to calm down
Re: Nigerians,Why This Mindset Towards The Girl Child???? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 31, 2021
StacyO:

Where did I say that it is her role, and how is sitting in her father's house doing nothing even a duty? It's pure sloth. And please don't put feminist propaganda words in my mouth. I'm very much familiar with the reductio ad absurdum fallacy styles used by the feminist movement, please don't waste our collective time with such techniques by parroting them.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3yrs Relationship No Sex Because She Said She Is Virgin / I'm In Love With Two Men I Don't Know What To Do. / A Choir Director Died For Trying To Abort Her Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.