Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (39365 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Joydan95: 11:11am On Feb 01, 2021
Sannisege:
its funny that even those smelly Indians do same here in Canada. They are reluctant to sit beside blacks on the bus. But I understand that their own is due to inferiority complex...
Indians with their body smell and weird look. Honestly I do see them as fetish beings.

3 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Arcbox(m): 11:12am On Feb 01, 2021
I was sitting down in my school at Chinese university . These two Chinese women were to pass directly behind my back but on sighting me, they turn back and cover their nose to follow the longer route. I was imagining if I smell... it was shocking to me because inside the university is where I thought the informed Chinese should be.

28 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 11:15am On Feb 01, 2021
Nigerians that haven’t even stepped outside of the continent so loud with their ignorance on racism lol yikes
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by amazinghomez09: 11:17am On Feb 01, 2021
Drella:

We need a lot of contributions on this topic as it will be very educating.

Let's call Mynd44 lalasticlala to help move to front page.
Personally I feel that racism will never end cos some of us too are guilty .I remember back then 2012-2013 during my msc days at Uni of Sunderland,I noticed some of my mates then Nigerians to be precise were running after some white ladies even married ones. I was completely surprised one day I told one of my friends who was also into running after married white women with kids that he is also a racist cos he cannot try it back home in Nigeria be that as it may I also experienced a whole lot of them the most common one being most of them will prefer to stand in a public bus instead of sitting close to a black man so whenever it happens I will simply balance like a king and spread very well lolz

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Bullman(m): 11:17am On Feb 01, 2021
ovieni:
always painting the devil as a black man by Europeans is the highest
racism I have seen so far

But tru tru the devil use style black na
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 11:18am On Feb 01, 2021
No diff between Racism and Tribalism to me.
Hitler, Stalin killed over 10M people due to Racism and in Africa over 20M have been killed due to Tribalism.
The Europeans killed over 20 Native America due to Racism and USA killed over 10 Red Indians in America
I laugh when Africans complain of racism while even Nigerians can't stand each other
The so called AA are the worst set of Black people

I saw craze shit in Brazil from Black Brazilians and same with crossbreed(Mixed) race in Germany

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by JastSiryin(m): 11:20am On Feb 01, 2021
lionness:
Not sure this counts as racism sha...
At the airport in Dubai, I waited until everyone was out so I can move from the my economy section to the business class so I can snap pix to oppress my friends at home. While traveling to Boudreaux in France, I’ve seen some Nigerians do it, na so this angry Indian host attack: “you Nigerians always sneaking to Business class to take pictures. You lot are fake.”
I was so ashamed I couldn’t take the picture and waka quietly commot. But as in, does it matter so far I board plane.

Second racism, me and my boy and two of my cousins are leaving a shopping mall and headed for the Knottingly train station make we enter one owambe for Leeds, na so this white grandma wey approach us just stop and take race. If you see as the grandma run as of say we wan rob am. I just watch am zoom and my head wan scatter.

The third na for Dubai—as in Arabs or Indians, I nor sabi this man tribe, but those people hate us nor be small. Na for the Duty Free section I wan pack cheap chocolate wey I go share for family members at home, and I carry my bag, you won’t believe it, this Arab or Indian man just dey follow me bumper to bumper—and on his face was the expression: “you thief, get out of here or I will disgrace you.” Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

The last one na for Shivaji for Mumbai in India. One Indian werey called Kalol wants my business to come and inspect his special milling machine. Na so I wan take explore India small. See, they way they searched me in that place after almost shredding my bags, I fear. After I was cleared, someone came out of a room and said they should stop the “kali.” Na me be kali which means a special name for blacks. My Nigerian passport was a big red flag and they asked me to remove my jacket again and searched me. As in, the man was confused that I wasn’t carrying drugs. He really couldn’t believe it and the thing choke am die. He later asked me why I was coming and personally called the Kalol guy who only sent me a taxi to pick me up. I am never ever going to India for anything in my life...those people get special hate and racism for us
Honestly I stopped reading from the very first story... Maybe she shouldn't have generalized but you clearly buttressed her point. Why would you go to a class you didn't pay for to take pictures? Like, how could one be so vain? Geez!

20 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 11:21am On Feb 01, 2021
karpentar:
I prefer racism to tribalism and Fulani Herdsmen killings with Government's supervision. Racism is safer.
Safer how? Racism can also be a type of systematic oppression that reduces your quality of life to the point of death in some cases. They’re both bad sha

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 01, 2021
lionness:
Not sure this counts as racism sha...

The third na for Dubai—as in Arabs or Indians, I nor sabi this man tribe, but those people hate us nor be small. Na for the Duty Free section I wan pack cheap chocolate wey I go share for family members at home, and I carry my bag, you won’t believe it, this Arab or Indian man just dey follow me bumper to bumper—and on his face was the expression: “you thief, get out of here or I will disgrace you.” Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

The last one na for Shivaji for Mumbai in India. One Indian werey called Kalol wants my business to come and inspect his special milling machine. Na so I wan take explore India small. See, they way they searched me in that place after almost shredding my bags, I fear. After I was cleared, someone came out of a room and said they should stop the “kali.” Na me be kali which means a special name for blacks. My Nigerian passport was a big red flag and they asked me to remove my jacket again and searched me. As in, the man was confused that I wasn’t carrying drugs. He really couldn’t believe it and the thing choke am die. He later asked me why I was coming and personally called the Kalol guy who only sent me a taxi to pick me up. I am never ever going to India for anything in my life...those people get special hate and racism for us

As Nigerians, our reputation goes ahead of us. We have a unique accent and mannerism which isn't hard to tell.
However, the worst form of racism isn't even what we face physically, its systemic racism.
Just as no girl could say she has never been sexually profiled, no black abroad could deny experiencing racism.
The whites are best at pretending to be not racist but you need to live with them to know that their own racism is worse than Indians cheesy. Your experience in Knottingley is classic for the North of UK, they don't even hide their own.

16 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Emeraldgreene(f): 11:25am On Feb 01, 2021
THIS RACISM AGAINST AFRICA IS EVERYWHERE . PLEASE JUST IGNORE THEM,DONT LET IT GET TO YOU.HAVE A VERY VERY THICK SKIN,MAKE A SOME FRIENDS WITH FELLOW AFRICANS.

CONTINUE TO MIND UR BUSINESS, REMEMBER THE REASON U CAME THERE,FOCUS AND PASS WITH FLYING COLORS.

LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE..U CAN EVEN START A BUSINESS TO BE COLLECTING THEIR MONEY,EVEN JOBS TOO.IF URE ALREADY WORKING,FIND EXTRA JOBS TOO.TAKE ADVANTAGE OF UR TIME THERE,EVERY SKILL AND OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE MONEY...WEN U GRADUATE U CAN START A BUSINESS, SHUFFLING NIGERIA AND OTHER COUNTRIES...TAKE CARE BRO...SENDING LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU...quote author=Emeraldgreene post=98631637][THIS IS VERY INSENSITIVE AND CHILDISH.uote author=shege45 post=98622116]I have never experienced Racism where I am[/quote]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by gbemishile: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2021
wetin concern me with racism if I dey abroad.na black person wey Dem born for there wey don become agric pikin dey vex onto say Dem abuse am

10 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2021
ibkayee:

Safer how? Racism can also be a type of systematic oppression that reduces your quality of life to the point of death in some cases. They’re both bad sha

This!
Systemic racism is so common in the West and its worse than outward racism. I have seen and experienced its lots at work. They would seem so nice and sweet but all is just to pull a wool over your eyes. Especially to the JJC black who still adores the whites.

17 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by jesmond3945: 11:28am On Feb 01, 2021
Very nice thread. I have received a lot, infact I am being owed money because of that.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BlueAir: 11:29am On Feb 01, 2021
grin respect. I salute men that knows how to act and stand like a man. angry Not all these pussyy niggass up and down
BigDawsNet:
Not in particular tho

Actually I once met a lady..

I was trying to fit in as a newcomer

Trying to make a friend

She's said " don't push it dude ,don't fancy me,don't notice me

I got the picture and I accepted it...

Now I hardly mange to have few blacks has friends...80% of them are whites

I hope I can see that skinny white ass bitxh lady someday...

ain't goin say zhit to her but I'm just gonna look right starigth in her motherfvvking eyes with a confident success smile...
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by jesmond3945: 11:29am On Feb 01, 2021
GallantDuke:
Let me travel first, then I will comment.
To be candid, I won't feel bad if a foolish white man or woman refuses to sit beside me on the train. At least I will have the space to balance well on the train.
with time it would start getting to you.

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 01, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:
it happens alot in Northern Nigeria

I'm from the North Central. I've worked and studied in all zones in the north and haven't seen this to be honest. And I look like a southerner!

8 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by HitlerGaddafi: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2021
Here in the fiji islands, we don't experience racism. We live together as one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Ugandatales: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2021
nelsonebby:
yes. Sorry for my grammatical error

Okay
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Fulmigati: 11:33am On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
No diff between Racism and Tribalism to me.
Hitler, Stalin killed over 10M people due to Racism and in Africa over 20M have been killed due to Tribalism.
The Europeans killed over 20 Native America due to Racism and USA killed over 10 Red Indians in America
I laugh when Africans complain of racism while even Nigerians can't stand each other
The so called AA are the worst set of Black people
Typical post from an Ignorant Nigerian. There is a big difference between racism and tribalism. Let us be real you have never been on the receiving end of racism from a Black American, you probably never travelled to America.

12 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by 8stargeneral: 11:33am On Feb 01, 2021
shege45:
I have never experienced Racism where I am
which country are u

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 11:34am On Feb 01, 2021
lemon10:
Please Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad

It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.

The Chinese behaviour is just human nature. They feel inferior to Caucasians and aim to be like them, but they feel superior to Black people.

When I first arrived in UK it was shocking to me how people gave you looks of disgust and sometimes talked down to you. Although I've since come to discover that the UK is much more better than Asia, USA, Australia and Central Europe (in fact it can be argued that UK is the most tolerant non black country in this world for foreigners) the fact still remains that you get a different experience as a black person. I was lucky enough to go back to Nigeria for an extended period after 2 years in the UK. It only took a few weeks for my romanticised nostalgic memory of Nigeria to be smashed to pieces when I experienced certain things around tribe and ethnicity in Nigeria. It became blindingly obvious to me that your experience in Nigeria, and how you view Nigeria, depends on your tribe (especially if you are typical product of that tribe) and where you live, same way that a black person will have different experience in the UK especially if you are typically black. For certain tribes in Nigeria, the more you soften up certain aspects of your tribe ( accent, looks, dressing etc) the less resistance you get from certain Nigerians. Same thing I observed in the UK. Unless you want to spend you entire time in UK in the comfort of the black community, doing certain jobs and conducting certain businesses (legal and illegal) centered around your community, then you probably have to soften certain aspects in order to progress in the UK. Its annoying but its a fact. Basically I concluded that racist behaviour or tribalism is human nature. Some of us by nature are able to mask or dampen it or are not triggered by those things that will make others respond in a racist or tribalistic way to certain things or issues. Some of us have enlightened ourselves out of it. Some of us, through marriage or relationships have been opportuned to see other races or tribes in a different way. For some of us, the love for our fellow human being outshadows any racist or tribalistic inclinations.

Having reasoned all the above out, it enabled me to understand (but not condone) the racist behaviour of certain people and the system in the UK when I returned after my extended stay in Nigeria. Just like those in Nigeria, those in the Uk can't help themselves from behaving that way because its human nature that has been reinforced by years of a racist (or tribalistic in the case of Nigeria) narrative by older family members and other people in the community, and a biased media in some instances. Coming to that understanding really improved my state of mind and things really progressed smoothly for me career wise. Also it helped me to understand more the tribalistic behaviour in Nigeria. Most importantly it reinforced my pride and confidence in my own ethnicity.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 11:35am On Feb 01, 2021
quaintbloke:

This!
Systemic racism is so common in the West and its worse than outward racism. I have seen and experienced its lots at work. They would seem so nice and sweet but all is just to pull a wool over your eyes. Especially to the JJC black who still adores the whites.
Yup, it’s difficult for me to say if I’ve experienced it myself because these things tend to be covert like you said. But I definitely know it’s an issue in all types of sectors with blacks usually being the most marginalised
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 01, 2021
alllivesmatter:

No be only you Sir. I detest anyone trying to make me feel less of a human being. I could spit into your eyes for even attempting to do so...

Irrespective of skin colour...Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and decency.
Yes, reason why we must fight the bad eggs in our community and make our society more fit for human habitation.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by jesmond3945: 11:36am On Feb 01, 2021
Someone7:
It's the subtle racism that's worse. Right there in the UK. Someone will cross to the other side of the road when they see you coming, others refuse to sit beside you on the train or bus (and it had nothing to do with social distancing). Some they flat out refuse to stand in the queue next to you at the ATM or mall.
No one came screaming "nigger" into my face but them Brits have their "polite" form of racism
na why I like the pandemic except people dying. It humbled them to their bones.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by fuckaholic25(f): 11:37am On Feb 01, 2021
Joystark:
Racism there or tribalism here. Choose wisely.
racism there abeg!!!
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by jesmond3945: 11:39am On Feb 01, 2021
Sexyjigga:
Without a doubt, Indians are the the most color obsessed people I have ever encountered anywhere in the world.Even if you are 100% Indian, your fellow Indians might still discriminate against you on the basis of the color of your skin, which region of India you come from, what language you speak, your religion, your caste etc, etc. If you are of obvious African ancestry, including African-American, you can find life really, really tough in India if you are going to be in India for a while. Indians can be such unabashed, in your face racists.
my brother it is the same thing in Nigeria. We are obsessed with colour especially for women.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by planetx: 11:39am On Feb 01, 2021
First time I traveled out of Nigeria was to the UK many years ago, I got this job outside London in some village so I wasn't familiar with the transportation system so I sat upfront and ask the oyinbo driver where to get off but the guy just ignored me like I wasn't even talking to him.

Next incident same UK sat next to some oyinbo guy outside London on a bus, he just got up muttered some curse words and went to sit in the back of the bus lol.

Or is it when I went to Liverpool because my brother was studying at the university there, and me and my cousin who is also staying in Liverpool decided to take the oyinbo girls who are also students staying in the same house with my brother out to the club one weekend .We took the cab to the club and once we got there the same oyinbo girls that were chatting with just change and refuse to enter the club with us lol

Finally got tired of the place and went back to London stayed a couple of months and fled back to Nigeria before wrangling my way to the US which I don't even want to mention the racism experience but the racism there is actually not as bad as the UK. But back in Nigeria now so there is nowhere like home despite the issues here.

30 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by babakb: 11:41am On Feb 01, 2021
All I see here is hate for the white man...

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by tillaman(m): 11:42am On Feb 01, 2021
I really don’t know where to start from I swear
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Ifesinachi22(m): 11:43am On Feb 01, 2021
Even in Africa we still don't love ourselves. Imagine Arab people of Niger �� would neither live close to blacks nor inter marry with blacks, just because they are brown. See Niger, see Nigeria. Just because they are brown and we are black. Mind you they are all Muslims. I respect Muslims for inter ethnic marriages but these Arabs of Niger won't just marry blacks or have anything to do with them.

Being racist to someone in his own country. I just can't understand

5 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Ayilara1(m): 11:44am On Feb 01, 2021
We give them too much attention and we always feel inferior.

Here in Nigeria, if I see a white man/woman, no matter the urge to look at them I make sure my gaze doesn't pass once. The annoying thing you will see is most Nigerian looking at them till they feel the importance.

We might never be free from it until we develop our country.

38 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Dorcas Shola Fapson Escapes Kidnapping & Rape From Taxify Driver (Photos) / Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Yet Again, Trailer Falls On Vehicle. (images)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.