Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (39394 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
Lol
Europe is far better because no police dey kill anyhow cheesy
Reeses:

Well America is far better than the whole Europe i rather stay here than move there.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 4:59pm On Feb 01, 2021
quaintbloke:

This!
Systemic racism is so common in the West and its worse than outward racism. I have seen and experienced its lots at work. They would seem so nice and sweet but all is just to pull a wool over your eyes. Especially to the JJC black who still adores the whites.
True. A white cleaner in an hospital abroad would sometimes feel he or she is better than a black doctor that works at the same hospital.
Some white Nurses would feel a black doctor is a dunce. Happened to a doc friend in Canada.
Kids are not left out. Another doc working in a small town in Canada just pulled her 9 year daughter out of school due to her female class teacher picking on her. She is now being home schooled for the time being.

9 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2021
OnlyDeCapPlease:

The Chinese behaviour is just human nature. They feel inferior to Caucasians and aim to be like them, but they feel superior to Black people.

When I first arrived in UK it was shocking to me how people gave you looks of disgust and sometimes talked down to you. Although I've since come to discover that the UK is much more better than Asia, USA, Australia and Central Europe (in fact it can be argued that UK is the most tolerant non black country in this world for foreigners) the fact still remains that you get a different experience as a black person. I was lucky enough to go back to Nigeria for an extended period after 2 years in the UK. It only took a few weeks for my romanticised nostalgic memory of Nigeria to be smashed to pieces when I experienced certain things around tribe and ethnicity in Nigeria. It became blindingly obvious to me that your experience in Nigeria, and how you view Nigeria, depends on your tribe (especially if you are typical product of that tribe) and where you live, same way that a black person will have different experience in the UK especially if you are typically black. For certain tribes in Nigeria, the more you soften up certain aspects of your tribe ( accent, looks, dressing etc) the less resistance you get from certain Nigerians. Same thing I observed in the UK. Unless you want to spend you entire time in UK in the comfort of the black community, doing certain jobs and conducting certain businesses (legal and illegal) centered around your community, then you probably have to soften certain aspects in order to progress in the UK. Its annoying but its a fact. Basically I concluded that racist behaviour or tribalism is human nature. Some of us by nature are able to mask or dampen it or are not triggered by those things that will make others respond in a racist or tribalistic way to certain things or issues. Some of us have enlightened ourselves out of it. Some of us, through marriage or relationships have been opportuned to see other races or tribes in a different way. For some of us, the love for our fellow human being outshadows any racist or tribalistic inclinations.

Having reasoned all the above out, it enabled me to understand (but not condone) the racist behaviour of certain people and the system in the UK when I returned after my extended stay in Nigeria. Just like those in Nigeria, those in the Uk can't help themselves from behaving that way because its human nature that has been reinforced by years of a racist (or tribalistic in the case of Nigeria) narrative by older family members and other people in the community, and a biased media in some instances. Coming to that understanding really improved my state of mind and things really progressed smoothly for me career wise. Also it helped me to understand more the tribalistic behaviour in Nigeria. Most importantly it reinforced my pride and confidence in my own ethnicity.
At the bolded. This is indeed arguable. I would probably say Canada is still more tolerant. The racism in Canada is very similar to that of UK. It's often subtle but in lesser proportion.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2021
Calibrator:
Nigerians should honestly be the last set of people to complain about racism.

Hypocrisy is when a country plagued by internal tribalism by fellow countrymen gets offended by external racism perpetuated by outsiders.

Charity begins at home.

Before you come for my head, check out the comments on any front page crime section thread.

Tribalism is worse than Racism!
Between tribalism and racism I try to avoid saying one is worse than the other because they're both similar issues that can work and be harmful in the same way. But I understand what you're saying.

I've personally found that human beings will always find a way to see another group more inferior than them and oppress them in some way

It just so happens that black people got the shortest end of the stick in this lifetime unfortunately, even amongst amongst blacks ourselves, there will be a subgroup that find themselves at the 'bottom' imagine. This world is something else lol

6 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by AFONJACOW(m): 5:31pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
Imagine say you no dey hear Yoruba?
Africans are worst set of people, something similar like this happen to me when I first traveled to Libya.
I saw this shop and i went there to ask question and the woman was insulting me in Yoruba thinking am non Yoruba but I didn't reply her oooh until 6 months when she was shocked, that I be Yoruba person.
Anyone who has lived in Germany, Sweden, Norway and Denmark can tell you want Somalians do to other Africa esp Nigeria yet we will be shouting racism.
More black people have been killed in Europe by black person, go to France, Spain and Italy.

we blacks hate ourselves I don't know the reason why it's so
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kogi2010: 5:39pm On Feb 01, 2021
mine was in South Africa I went to train station n I was late so I was trying to me up when I ran to the 2 last couches it was occupied by whites as soon as I get in they they were scared n I ran to d nxt one the threw me out

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 5:44pm On Feb 01, 2021
planetx:
First time I traveled out of Nigeria was to the UK many years ago, I got this job outside London in some village so I wasn't familiar with the transportation system so I sat upfront and ask the oyinbo driver where to get off but the guy just ignored me like I wasn't even talking to him.

Next incident same UK sat next to some oyinbo guy outside London on a bus, he just got up muttered some curse words and went to sit in the back of the bus lol.

Or is it when I went to Liverpool because my brother was studying at the university there, and me and my cousin who is also staying in Liverpool decided to take the oyinbo girls who are also students staying in the same house with my brother out to the club one weekend .We took the cab to the club and once we got there the same oyinbo girls that were chatting with just change and refuse to enter the club with us lol

Finally got tired of the place and went back to London stayed a couple of months and fled back to Nigeria before wrangling my way to the US which I don't even want to mention the racism experience but the racism there is actually not as bad as the UK. But back in Nigeria now so there is nowhere like home despite the issues here.
The girls don't wanna be seen with black boys grin

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by 00FFT00(m): 5:50pm On Feb 01, 2021
lemon10:
Please Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad

It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.

How about starting with the institutionalized tribalism and nepotism that is bludgeoning every Nigerian citizen. Una go leave wetin dey una eyes, dey look people wey beta pass una.

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 5:52pm On Feb 01, 2021
shogsman:
I lived in baton rouge, USA and a white woman once asked if we have malls in Africa, I said no we just go to the bush and pluck groceries from the tree,she was embarrassed and the people around was just laughing at how clueless she sounded
This is not racism though. She is just ignorant grin
She has probably never lived outside Baton Rouge and watches fox news all day.

4 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Didi2d(m): 5:52pm On Feb 01, 2021
SeriouslySense:
you have to have lived for over 5 years, to apply for permanent residency, you can check on the internet for other requirements

OK I will.
I am presently a forklift operator, I heard it's a lucrative job over there that's why am asking
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Hassanmaye(m): 5:53pm On Feb 01, 2021
Jazzafizzy:

Worse of it is that the person making this noise is a so-called born again manager of mine ,
Who travels out like some going to oba market shocked
Lol
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Auxilliarytony(m): 5:56pm On Feb 01, 2021
Shormiey:
I'm only here to read people's view on racism....
Same here bro
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by shogsman(m): 6:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
salford1:

This is not racism though. She is just ignorant grin
She has probably never lived outside Baton Rouge and watches fox news all day.
She saw africans as inferior even in regards to basic things, that's definitely racism
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by SHIIITHOLE: 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
Rubbish. Pure crap!

staga:
Shop owner in Accra refused to respond to my request for an item and muttered in Twi about "these Nigerians". One BDC saw me bring out 3,000 GhS from my pocket (about N240,000 equivalent) when searching for a piece of paper, and when I asked to buy $100 to pay for the excess luggage I had to carry for my flight back to Naija the next day, he started asking for my passport in such a rude and aggressive tone. This is a BDC where I had routinely changed USD countless times in the past.

Also, if you are a Nigerian driving Uber in Ghana, expect a Ghanaian passenger to immediately cancel the ride once the find out your identity. Ghanaians are just the worst in terms of racist/xenophobic behaviour. At least the South Africans will show you the thing frontally and overtly. Ghanaians prefer the covert approach.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsavage: 6:24pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
No diff between Racism and Tribalism to me.
Hitler, Stalin killed over 10M people due to Racism and in Africa over 20M have been killed due to Tribalism.
The Europeans killed over 20 Native America due to Racism and USA killed over 10 Red Indians in America
I laugh when Africans complain of racism while even Nigerians can't stand each other
The so called AA are the worst set of Black people
lol.. AA hate africans die... you need to see them on Facebook and twitter
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Princewill1(m): 6:24pm On Feb 01, 2021
When a people dwell largely in their home country or continent, they rarely fall victim to racism. But when you fail to develop your land and chooses to constitute nuisance around the globe, then you have exposed yourself to discrimination.

Racism is not only done to black people alone, other races like the Indians who also constitute nuisance all over the world also suffer from racism. Check the Roma or Gypsy refugees in Europe.

Racism is the price we all have to pay for failing to develop our continent.

9 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nicoswit(m): 6:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
planetx:
Nigeria is actually a nice place to live if you have money. Not trying to convince anyone not to migrate but I am talking from experience, life is too short to spend my elderly years dealing with some oyinbo bullshit racism.
Insecurity is the only problem i have with nigeria if not...i wont ever think of relocating
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Commotfornigeri: 6:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
Yet to have a direct negative experience from whites.

The one I've noticed is a number of blacks forming too big to say hi or respond to simple greetings.

I'm in Canada BTW, and this is my own experience.

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by 1Sharon(f): 6:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
caye:

The Dravidians were the first humans established in India: they were black. The migration of the 'White Indians' , in order to preserve their dominance on the indigenous blacks, instituted the oldest system of racism. A black Indian's shadow must not even come near them, and they were relegated to slaves, ditto Sri Lanka . They fear our genetic structure, because our genes are dominant; they fear being assimilated by inter-marriage to Black people: their genes would disappear almost totally with time. We are the natural humans; the first.
I think Kali the goddess of destruction was originally black.

Revisionist
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by alexola20(m): 6:38pm On Feb 01, 2021

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Commotfornigeri: 6:38pm On Feb 01, 2021
Princewill1:
When a people dwell largely in their home country or continent, they rarely fall victim to racism. But when you fail to develop your land and chooses to constitute nuisance around the globe, then you have exposed yourself to discrimination.

Racism is not only done to black people, other race like the Indians who also constitute nuisance all over the world also suffer from racism. Check the Roma or Gypsy refugees in Europe.

Racism is the price we all have to pay for failing to develop our continent.

You're not making any sense with that. Racism exists just as tribalism.

Would you rather not explore the world because you're afraid of being profiled?

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 6:48pm On Feb 01, 2021
Not only AA
All those crossbreed are worst maybe mixed races.
I saw craze shit in Brazil
kingsavage:
lol.. AA hate africans die... you need to see them on Facebook and twitter
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Canberra55: 7:09pm On Feb 01, 2021
ikeseeholdings1:
i never understands what it means to be racially abused,until 2011 when i boarded a train from Beijing west train station to Guangzhou Train station. I was the only black man in that coach,everyone was Just looking at me,talking in their Language and laughing at me,calling me HEGWE(BLACK DEVIL)Because i don't understand the Language then.The most annoying part was when a family that sat close was telling their cry cry baby that if he crys again that they will bring him to me and the baby stopped crying. It was hell for me back then,especially when it's coming from Chinese people not from original White people

Baba your inferiority complex is the cause of your own racism because if na ORIGINAL WHITE MEN, e for nor pain you too much? Another way to even look at it is that you're also being racist to the Chinese people for thinking they're not as qualified enough to disrespect you. Either way, you still are the architect of your discrimination

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsavage: 7:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
AFONJACOW:

we blacks hate ourselves I don't know the reason why it's so
see tribalist day talk.. you want make I talk about your igbo people too?
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsavage: 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:
Not only AA
All those crossbreed are worst maybe mixed races.
I saw craze shit in Brazil
Brazilians are not africans though....
I am talking about black caribbeans and americans
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by planetx: 7:28pm On Feb 01, 2021
salford1:

The girls don't wanna be seen with black boys grin
Lol I was confused at first but quickly figured out what was going on that they didn't want to be seen with two black guys.

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elnon: 7:55pm On Feb 01, 2021
Shit....This is so painful.. embarassed.
ikeseeholdings1:
i never understands what it means to be racially abused,until 2011 when i boarded a train from Beijing west train station to Guangzhou Train station. I was the only black man in that coach,everyone was Just looking at me,talking in their Language and laughing at me,calling me HEGWE(BLACK DEVIL)Because i don't understand the Language then.The most annoying part was when a family that sat close was telling their cry cry baby that if he crys again that they will bring him to me and the baby stopped crying. It was hell for me back then,especially when it's coming from Chinese people not from original White people

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by THUNDER4real(m): 8:06pm On Feb 01, 2021
klashe:
I experienced none in The Philippines. In fact they love black people more than westerners, firstly because the percentage of blacks in Philippines is very low and also they think all black guys are basketball stars so when strangers want to communicate they either call you Jordan or James (with so much excitement on their face).
You are right, I experienced none when I was there, I entered a fast food to get food over there, the customer care was smiling and welcoming. I missed my way around, I asked passersby and they gave me direction. Here in Nigeria we say traffic light, in Philippine they say search light. I enjoyed my stay there.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Along Sagamu-abeokuta Expressway, 2 Dead (disturbing Pics, Video) / Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Lagos Airport: Immigration Imposes $90 Visa-on-arrival Charge On Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.