Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (39395 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
kingsavage:
Brazilians are not africans though....
I am talking about black caribbeans and americans
Says who?
Pele na white?
Bros Brazilian has the highest population of Black people in the world outside Africa countries
Bahia is Nigeria self

3 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsavage: 8:22pm On Feb 01, 2021
seunny4lif:

Says who?
Pele na white
Bros Brazilian has the highest population of Black people in the world outside Africa countries
Bahia is Nigeria self
ok

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by TheCongo2: 8:23pm On Feb 01, 2021
Zane2point4:

I travel and do bizz alot in china,i think this is not very common in Guangzhou,the Chinese there are used to blacks there,so they interact and do bizz together,some even speak igbo languages fluently,like a chinese woman that do sale bread and a man that do sale food.

Racism might be common in some province like shaoxin and other places that arent used to seeing blacks come for bizz.

Correct, and going through this thread some people are making accusations of racism without any tangible proofs.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elnon: 8:26pm On Feb 01, 2021
THIS!!!!!Many are still mentally enslaved....Religion(Christianity) painting Jesus to be white and devil to be black made me dump that religion...O wrong nau..I cant serve the GOD of those who see me as inferior....Now deeply irreligious and the Almighty God(MY SOURCE) that I pray to looks like me...God has or belongs to no religion.. I try not to gaze any white person more than once...You need to see how confident I feel when I interact with whites. I cry when I remember how we run to see them as kids even Indians then o...Slavery and the religion it came with ruined our identity...And the oppression is still going on from our evil leaders....Painful!.
Ayilara1:
We give them too much attention and we always feel inferior.

Here in Nigeria, if I see a white man/woman, no matter the urge to look at them I make sure my gaze doesn't pass once. The annoying thing you will see is most Nigerian looking at them till they feel the importance.

We might never be free from it until we develop our country.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 8:31pm On Feb 01, 2021
ikeseeholdings1:
i never understands what it means to be racially abused,until 2011 when i boarded a train from Beijing west train station to Guangzhou Train station. I was the only black man in that coach,everyone was Just looking at me,talking in their Language and laughing at me,calling me HEGWE(BLACK DEVIL)Because i don't understand the Language then.The most annoying part was when a family that sat close was telling their cry cry baby that if he crys again that they will bring him to me and the baby stopped crying. It was hell for me back then,especially when it's coming from Chinese people not from original White people

Asians are the most racist people. Indians, Chinese and Arabs, in particular. Especially their villagers. They have mixed race communities in South East Asia who live separate from the rest of the people.

I don't know who told you any other race likes black people, though. The pride Nigerians feel is too much. You never know you are black until you leave Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
salford1:

True. A white cleaner in an hospital abroad would sometimes feel he or she is better than a black doctor that works at the same hospital.
Some white Nurses would feel a black doctor is a dunce. Happened to a doc friend in Canada.
Kids are not left out. Another doc working in a small town in Canada just pulled her 9 year daughter out of school due to her female class teacher picking on her. She is now being home schooled for the time being.

Very true. The first impression they get of a black person in the hospitals is that of a cleaner or porter grin.
As a black doctor you have to prove yourself to your collegues and the nurses before they gain your trust.
The schools are not left out. A black student is considered not smart until proven otherwise. To the whites being smart is = eloquence in English cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 8:39pm On Feb 01, 2021
xProfx:

Lol... I had a similar experience in Germany. Only on few occasions did people sit beside me and they were old people.

Once I discovered this, I started putting my bag on the next sit and balanced well. When their legs get tired, they will have sense.

These people that don't bathe and play with animals all day? Lol... I can't be moved. I am still going back self! grin

Lol, they can be annoying in winter, especially the garlicky breath. Just washing their faces and brushing their teeth. It's disgusting to know.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 8:43pm On Feb 01, 2021
chukxie:

It's better not to experience it because that shit cuts deep!

I heard that not reacting to it hurts the racist even more.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 01, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Lol, they can be annoying in winter, especially the garlicky breath. Just washing their faces and brushing their teeth. It's disgusting to know.

Imagine! And they still call Africans dirty when we are neater than them hygiene-wise. An African would never kiss a dog that licks its anus and privates... But a white man would gladly lick a dogs mouth and wet nose.

I know a day will come where NO AFRICAN would have any other reason to go abroad than for tourism... We're getting there

12 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 8:46pm On Feb 01, 2021
xProfx:

Imagine! And they still call Africans dirty just because cos so many of our people over there do menial jobs for survival... It is well. Africa will get there.

The closer you get to them, the more you know they can be gross. Their own guys doing menial jobs are by far filthier than the Africans doing it, in my opinion. Dirty white people can be so offensive, because they have running water all around them and easy washing services. Bathing is a daily hurdle for some of them even when it's available.

2 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elnon: 8:49pm On Feb 01, 2021
Another angle....I agree....I once travelled with my Namibian friend but the profiling and disgrace I received ,he never got any....I was searched thoroughly but he wasn't....remember we are both blacks and black skinned....My Nigerian passport alone has given me so much pain hence why I must get another citizenship...One of the reasons why I find these criminals called yahoo boys disgusting and evil...I cant condone it....Damaging our reputation further..
Rilwayne001:
Most stories on this thread points to how Nigerian are treated abroad, and not really about race. And I'm not surprised. The corruption and Yahoo yahoo that's plagued the country is enough reason for foreigners to treat us like thieves. We're our very own enemies.

11 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

The closer you get to them, the more you know they can be gross. Their own guys doing menial jobs are by far filthier than the Africans doing it, in my opinion. Dirty white people can be so offensive, because they have running water all around them and easy washing services.

It's well bro. I just wish Africans loved each other instead of the harshness the political leaders subject people to, which makes them seek greener pastures...

But we no send them sha, racism or not, we will keep going there to achieve our goals as long as we are legit. They looted Africa and enslaved our ancestors and the skies didn't drop...

4 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Lordbinsmar: 8:50pm On Feb 01, 2021
GallantDuke:
Let me travel first, then I will comment.
To be candid, I won't feel bad if a foolish white man or woman refuses to sit beside me on the train. At least I will have the space to balance well on the train.
Wise man.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by waphany07c(m): 8:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
You've travelled far and wide... Well done
lionness:
Not sure this counts as racism sha...
At the airport in Dubai, I waited until everyone was out so I can move from the my economy section to the business class so I can snap pix to oppress my friends at home. While traveling to Boudreaux in France, I’ve seen some Nigerians do it, na so this angry Indian host attack: “you Nigerians always sneaking to Business class to take pictures. You lot are fake.”
I was so ashamed I couldn’t take the picture and waka quietly commot. But as in, does it matter so far I board plane.

Second racism, me and my boy and two of my cousins are leaving a shopping mall and headed for the Knottingly train station make we enter one owambe for Leeds, na so this white grandma wey approach us just stop and take race. If you see as the grandma run as of say we wan rob am. I just watch am zoom and my head wan scatter.

The third na for Dubai—as in Arabs or Indians, I nor sabi this man tribe, but those people hate us nor be small. Na for the Duty Free section I wan pack cheap chocolate wey I go share for family members at home, and I carry my bag, you won’t believe it, this Arab or Indian man just dey follow me bumper to bumper—and on his face was the expression: “you thief, get out of here or I will disgrace you.” Every other tribes were there buying, but this guy, na me wey be Nigerian e dey follow up and down. Anyways, the bastard smile after I pulled out the $1200 wey dey my pocket and try do the addition from AED to dollar. I just tire, sometimes e nor good to be Nigerian

The last one na for Shivaji for Mumbai in India. One Indian werey called Kalol wants my business to come and inspect his special milling machine. Na so I wan take explore India small. See, they way they searched me in that place after almost shredding my bags, I fear. After I was cleared, someone came out of a room and said they should stop the “kali.” Na me be kali which means a special name for blacks. My Nigerian passport was a big red flag and they asked me to remove my jacket again and searched me. As in, the man was confused that I wasn’t carrying drugs. He really couldn’t believe it and the thing choke am die. He later asked me why I was coming and personally called the Kalol guy who only sent me a taxi to pick me up. I am never ever going to India for anything in my life...those people get special hate and racism for us

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by BRATISLAVA: 8:52pm On Feb 01, 2021
xProfx:

It's well bro. I just wish Africans loved each other instead of the harshness the political leaders subject people to which makes them seek greener pastures...

But we no send them sha, racism or not, we will keep going there to achieve our goals as long as we are legit. They looted Africa and enslaved our ancestors and the skies didn't drop...

Some of the fault lies in some ancestors who sold each other out for temporary gains.

The good news is that the world is going to become one big village, and we're all going to be seeing a lot of each other (all races).

Bis bald.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 01, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Some of the fault lies in some ancestors who sold each other out for temporary gains.

The good news is that the world is going to become one big village, and we're all going to be seeing a lot of each other (all races).

Bis bald.

Ja... Du hast recht mein Bruder. Tschüß!

1 Like

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elnon: 8:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
I so much love the Philippines....So kind and happy people.
klashe:
I experienced none in The Philippines. In fact they love black people more than westerners, firstly because the percentage of blacks in Philippines is very low and also they think all black guys are basketball stars so when strangers want to communicate they either call you Jordan or James (with so much excitement on their face).

3 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Emeraldgreene(f): 9:12pm On Feb 01, 2021
[OH REALLY ITS YELLING? OK CORRECTION TAKEN.THANKS.quote author=theFilmtric post=98635354]
Quit typing all caps
Its yelling in internet terms
Its rude

PS: its against forum rules
And very difficult to read

theFilmtricsay
[/quote]
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by theFilmtric: 9:18pm On Feb 01, 2021
Emeraldgreene:
[OH REALLY ITS YELLING? OK CORRECTION TAKEN.THANKS.quote author=theFilmtric post=98635354]
Quit typing all caps
Its yelling in internet terms
Its rude

PS: its against forum rules
And very difficult to read

theFilmtricsay
you're welcome
And please qoute properly
Thanks

theFilmtricsay
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Elnon: 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2021
lol....Life in Sweden is far better than America...So many Americans are here but no swede will ever dream of relocating to America
Reeses:

Well America is far better than the whole Europe i rather stay here than move there.

5 Likes

Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Emeraldgreene(f): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2021
[Im new here on DZ forum..so pardon me.quote author=theFilmtric post=98648260]
you're welcome
And please qoute properly
Thanks

theFilmtricsay
[/quote]
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by doxijaw: 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2021
sulasa07:
Chinese and Indians being racist to black people, grin grin and still white people put Africans, Chinese and blacks in the same category,this world is funny

They don't, blacks are at the bottom.

Racism reduces as your country gets richer, this is why I keep shouting at Nigerians back home to sit up and stop the useless copy copy oyinbo behaviour and start building.
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by hstar: 10:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
fineboynl:
I wouldn't be ashamed either as Africans has proven to be subhuman among other race particularly Nigerians.

let be frank to ourselves how many of us here would want to sit next to a fulani beggar? even if we do we wouldn't be comfortable no matter how well dress they look.
wink
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 10:41pm On Feb 01, 2021
BigBashiru:

"reading the trend" - what does that mean?
Reading Experiences from our brothers outside. I hate Racism
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by shagamite: 11:14pm On Feb 01, 2021
Commotfornigeri:
Yet to have a direct negative experience from whites.

The one I've noticed is a number of blacks forming too big to say hi or respond to simple greetings.

I'm in Canada BTW, and this is my own experience.
is it true it can be boring sometimes living abroad, do you get to visit neighbours, chill or na to just dey indoors most times and TV
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Reeses: 11:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
Elnon:
lol....Life in Sweden is far better than America...So many Americans are here but no swede will ever dream of relocating to America
Whatever i dont like any of them countries anymore i need Africa..
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by AFONJACOW(m): 1:40am On Feb 02, 2021
kingsavage:
see tribalist day talk.. you want make I talk about your igbo people too?
you are free
Re: The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by AFONJACOW(m): 1:41am On Feb 02, 2021
kingsavage:
see tribalist day talk.. you want make I talk about your igbo people too?
you are free but first and foremost accept the bitter Truth

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Along Sagamu-abeokuta Expressway, 2 Dead (disturbing Pics, Video) / Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Lagos Airport: Immigration Imposes $90 Visa-on-arrival Charge On Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.