Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967836 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:02am On Mar 10, 2015
Judithume:
How do I reduce ammonia smell in my farm.I clean it twice a week n I still perceive the smell

Send me a mail.
obnelly2009@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin961: 10:34am On Mar 10, 2015
Judithume:
They don't have lice.I gave them antibiotic 2 wks ago.I used wormazine for deworming them. Yes I use wood shavings.I changed it 2 days ago n its smelling now.

Which of d antibiotics did u use ?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 10:36am On Mar 10, 2015
A committee will be set up to look into that,and when that committee submits its report,another committe will be set up to make recomendations.
Bishiie:
Yes Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What of salary? grin

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 11:05am On Mar 10, 2015
judithume. At 10 months of laying, I guess your birds are being affected by natural ageing process resulting to decreased productivity. My opinion will be that you sell them off ASAP. However, you may wish to do the following as alternatives; inject them with Komorov and/or add dried mint leaf to their feeds in the ratio 20kg to 1 ton. Success.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:46am On Mar 10, 2015
I read that phenomenon online not long ago. simply,the inner egg rather than come towards the outside after formation went back inside while another egg is at the shell forming stage. So the inner egg was encased within the outer. Google it!
AkayTopsy:
Farmers in the house. Can anyone give a scientific explanation to the following:

Fig1: The Egg weighing 98grams.
Fig2: The cracked Egg carrying another shelled egg inside.
Fig3: The inner Egg after crack has a normal yolk and egg white.

Flock age: 24week old.

The average egg size of my flock is 55grams. Though on the average daily I get 1 or 2 extra large size egg, but they usually carry 2 yolks (not shelled egg like this one)

Any scientific explanation for this?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 12:04pm On Mar 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:
Farmers in the house. Can anyone give a scientific explanation to the following:

Fig1: The Egg weighing 98grams.
Fig2: The cracked Egg carrying another shelled egg inside.
Fig3: The inner Egg after crack has a normal yolk and egg white.

Flock age: 24week old.

The average egg size of my flock is 55grams. Though on the average daily I get 1 or 2 extra large size egg, but they usually carry 2 yolks (not shelled egg like this one)

Any scientific explanation for this?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 12:59pm On Mar 10, 2015
Good Morning great farmers.
Pls what's the yardstick to changing to grower feed. Is it the age of the birds or body weight. My birds of 8weeks have not attain the desired body weight. I equally heard that you don't give fowl pox when the pullets are less than .5kg.

c
Comments and Advice Required Pls.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2015
AkayTopsy. I THINK what you just witnessed is a result of erratic ovulation usually caused by inconsistent lightening system. You may wish to take a look at how you supply them artificial light. Success.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:44pm On Mar 10, 2015
davidzfarm18. From following this thread, I know you ain't a novice in poultry management. Therefore, first thing I'll say is what has been your results with the birds you raised previously? Was the the switch to Growers mash done based on weight attained or the age? Personally for me, I switch to growers mash at 8 weeks irrespective of the weight. As for the fowl pox, I don't know anything about the weight-dependent application of the vaccine. I always vaccinate them for fowl pox at 10/11 weeks, though. Success
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2015
Eggcelent:
AkayTopsy. I THINK what you just witnessed is a result of erratic ovulation usually caused by inconsistent lightening system. You may wish to take a look at how you supply them artificial light. Success.

Tnx @eggcelent. That's exactly my thought. In a bid to get them feed at the early and coolest hours of the day, I usually on their light by 3am. But on that particular day, PHCN was seriouly doing DISCO with the power supply. 30mins ON 1hr OFF till day break. I guess there little or nothing I can do about it till I get my inverter installed.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 6:19pm On Mar 10, 2015
I'm using neocyrl. pls what is mint leave n how can I get it@eggcelent
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mozek24: 8:11pm On Mar 10, 2015
kevin96:

were in benin are you? I am in benin too, maybe we can discuss about this facially but meanwhile the cost of raising a broiler from day old to seven weeks should not be more than 600naira and you can get 2.5kg above and 1.8 -2kg is sure after dressing . I also tink there is good market for it.I know more about broilers, i have been into it for sometime now....but i have not started the 7weeks thing , although i am planing on it...... You said u are starting with 1000 birds, is that not too much? i will advise u start it on a low key..

Thanks for your response, the farm is at idogbo, after upper sakponba. Or you can reach me on 08026799809. Tnx
Pls send me your number
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alexander007(m): 8:35pm On Mar 10, 2015
I use one bag of feed with 20kg of maize to give me 45 kg all together

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 9:12pm On Mar 10, 2015
Eggcelent:
davidzfarm18. From following this thread, I know you ain't a novice in poultry management. Therefore, first thing I'll say is what has been your results with the birds you raised previously? Was the the switch to Growers mash done based on weight attained or the age? Personally for me, I switch to growers mash at 8 weeks irrespective of the weight. As for the fowl pox, I don't know anything about the weight-dependent application of the vaccine. I always vaccinate them for fowl pox at 10/11 weeks, though. Success
a wise man has said when you stopped learning you start dieing. I paid a visit to a vet and she told me that to hey optimal result from fowl pox vaccine. the birds weight should be more than .5 kg. she equally emphasized the of attaining the right weight before switching to grower as against the conventional 8 wks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:11pm On Mar 10, 2015
davidzfarm18:

a wise man has said when you stopped learning you start dieing. I paid a visit to a vet and she told me that to hey optimal result from fowl pox vaccine. the birds weight should be more than .5 kg. she equally emphasized the of attaining the right weight before switching to grower as against the conventional 8 wks

bros I dont know about the time for fowl pox. It is good for the birds to attain d right body weight before swtiching. The truth is that those body weights u see on paper are not obtainable. They are body weights attained under normal conditions like temp, humidity, water quality, light intensity etc. Do we observe those conditions? The answer is NO.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 12:03am On Mar 11, 2015
Eggcelent:
aAK1. You seem to have a few questions here. I'll advice you quickly go through this thread from the beginning. Most, if not all your questions, have been answered previously. Doing this will not only ensure you have answers to the questions you have asked here, but you'll also receive answers to those you have not thought of asking. Success.
Humm. I just went through z
102 pages and almost got myself confused but I must confess, I learnt a lot. Of course I still have loads of questions to ask. My major issue is still with building.i plan on starting with 1000 layers and 500 broilers on a land of 100 by 100. Kevin96 said 60ft by 30 should do for layers. I want to know what size of pen would do for 500 broilers. I will also have a store and farm house. Will 100 by 100 be enough?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 6:11am On Mar 11, 2015
aAK1:
Humm. I just went through z
102 pages and almost got myself confused but I must confess, I learnt a lot. Of course I still have loads of questions to ask. My major issue is still with building.i plan on starting with 1000 layers and 500 broilers on a land of 100 by 100. Kevin96 said 60ft by 30 should do for layers. I want to know what size of pen would do for 500 broilers. I will also have a store and farm house. Will 100 by 100 be enough?

60ft by 25ft can take 500 adult broilers.....so i guess ur 100 by 100 might not be enough....because after u first pen has been built u will ve to give atleast 40 to 50ft before the next pen can come in. All d same goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 6:14am On Mar 11, 2015
mozek24:

Thanks for your response, the farm is at idogbo, after upper sakponba. Or you can reach me on 08026799809. Tnx
Pls send me your number

i know idogbo very well....i actually live at sapele rd....my number is 07065594721
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Hello Farmers, anybody in need of a feed-grade coccidiostat in order to prevent your chicks from coccidiosis should contact me. It is highly effective and cheap. My contact is 08038619766.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 7:14am On Mar 11, 2015
how do i feed my layers to attain the desired weight? and also my broilers are showing sign of newcastle disease.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mozek24: 8:21am On Mar 11, 2015
tunezvic:
how do i feed my layers to attain the desired weight? and also my broilers are showing sign of newcastle disease.

Pls wat is/are the signs of newcastle

Cos my 7 days old broilers are dying like this:
Day 1:1
Day 2: 1
Day 3: 1
Day 4: 4
Day 5: 2
Day 6: 4
this morning I've already picked 4

Pls wat do I do?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 10:34am On Mar 11, 2015
mozek24:

Pls wat do I do?

were dey not given i/o ? I doubt if its newcastle u ve there..... Wat drugs have u used so far.......and how is their vent?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2015
tunezvic:

how old are ur layers? How many are dey and what is the quantity of feed u ve been giving them...... And for ur broilers .....how old are they andhow did u know they ve newcastle?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mozek24: 11:37am On Mar 11, 2015
kelvin96:

were dey not given i/o ? I doubt if its newcastle u ve there..... Wat drugs have u used so far.......and how is their vent?

My i/o in my freezer. My vet doc advised against it saying the chicks had already had i/o in d hatchery before transportation. Meanwhile, I've given them Ganadexil and vitamin. They will be taking lasota in less than 30mins.
Sorry, I don't seem to understand what you mean by vent

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 12:17pm On Mar 11, 2015
mozek24:

My i/o in my freezer. My vet doc advised against it saying the chicks had already had i/o in d hatchery before transportation. Meanwhile, I've given them Ganadexil and vitamin. They will be taking lasota in less than 30mins.
Sorry, I don't seem to understand what you mean by vent
Thanks

is ur vet aware u are giving them lasota today been their 7th day? Vent means their anus.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 1:05pm On Mar 11, 2015
mozek24:

Pls wat do I do?
mortality rate of your broilers might be due to temprature control.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
doctormalik:
Hello Farmers, anybody in need of a feed-grade coccidiostat in order to prevent your chicks from coccidiosis should contact me. It is highly effective and cheap. My contact is 08038619766.

how much are u selling?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 1:09pm On Mar 11, 2015
kelvin96:

how old are ur layers? How many are dey and what is the quantity of feed u ve been giving them...... And for ur broilers .....how old are they andhow did u know they ve newcastle?
my layers are 3 weeks old and they 3300 in number.i give them 3 bags daily for now.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 1:19pm On Mar 11, 2015
if i were u i will give them 3bags and half.. and what feed are u using? i mean what product
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 1:23pm On Mar 11, 2015
kelvin96:
if i were u i will give them 3bags and half.. and what feed are u using?
i gave them 60 kg this morning and am formulating the feed myself,i got the formula from the hatchery. note:i feed them morning and evening.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2015
pls
what is d crude protein and metabolize energy of this feed u are
formulating .........and one more tin i said u should be given them
87.5kg daily ..@tunezvic
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 2:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
kelvin96:
pls
what is d crude protein and metabolize energy of this feed u are
formulating .........and one more tin i said u should be given them
87.5kg daily ..@tunezvic
i dont know how to measure the crude protein and metabolize energy of the feed but i got the the formula from the hatchery that i bought the chicks from and pertaining to the feed, i will increase it to the amount you suggested.

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.