Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,849 members, 7,956,181 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:10 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (982548 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2015
tunezvic. My opinion is that the 3 bags you are giving presently may not be the problem (though, feeding ad lib at this age is most advisable), rather you pay attention to the quality of the feeds. My simple advice will be that you go with a very good finished feeds for now, since you are unable to answer the VERY CRITICAL questions asked by Kevin96 above. You may return to your own feeds after they are 6 weeks.

davidzfarm18. jamp has really expressed my mind. While I am not doubting the competence of your vet, I'll like you to REMEMBER that THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE differs from PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE. I s your vet a practising farmer? And as stated by jamp, our circumstances here are different to what obtains in America and Europe where most of these standards being touted by vets were arrived at. My conclusion is that you should go with what your vet has said, determine if it is of any worthwhile benefits and apply any lessons learnt going forward.

judithume. Mint leaf is called "nchawu" in Ibo and "efirin nla" in Yoruba. It is the bigger variant of the scent leaf. Meanwhile, I'll still say what I consider to be the best course is that you cull (sell ) them off ASAP.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2015
Eggcelent:
tunezvic. My opinion is that the 3 bags you are giving presently may not be the problem (though, feeding ad lib at this age is most advisable), rather you pay attention to the quality of the feeds. My simple advice will be that you go with a very good finished feeds for now, since you are unable to answer the VERY CRITICAL questions asked by Kevin96 above. You may return to your own feeds after they are 6 weeks.
there is no lab in my location where I can take the feed to,for metabolize and protein energy testing. before now I was feeding them top feed super starter ,just changed to the formulated feed about a week now.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin961: 4:38pm On Mar 11, 2015
tunezvic:
there is no lab in my location where I can take the feed to,for metabolize and protein energy testing. before now I was feeding them top feed super starter ,just changed to the formulated feed about a week now.

Pls return back to top feed starter......maybe u can return back to feed formulation wen dey are 7 weeks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 4:57pm On Mar 11, 2015
@Tunecvic.....Please start your day old chicks well by feeding them quality feed like topfeed. it will help them to grow well and be healthy. We all play around local feed but it is from grower's stage to when they start laying.The foundation at that tnder stage is very critical...

Welldone to Jamp,FNK,Obnelly and all those who have kept the thread alive. We are with you guys and our farms are also doing very well.

We bless God.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 4:59pm On Mar 11, 2015
kelvin961:

Pls return back to top feed starter......maybe u can return back to feed formulation wen dey are 7 weeks
do you know a reputable labaratory, where i can take the feed to for metabolize and protein energy of the feed? that is not far from kogi state. phone no:08108726254
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
omotititi:
@Tunecvic.....Please start your day old chicks well by feeding them quality feed like topfeed. it will help them to grow well and be healthy. We all play around local feed but it is from grower's stage to when they start laying.The foundation at that tnder stage is very critical...

Welldone to Jamp,FNK,Obnelly and all those who have kept the thread alive. We are with you guys and our farms are also doing very well.

We bless God.

welcome back oga Omoti.

we miss you here especially your contribution. hope your farm is doing great.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 5:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
omotititi:

We bless God.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 5:18pm On Mar 11, 2015
thank you all for your recommendations. @ kevin, omititi egcelent.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2015
tunezvic. I know the Agric Dept at Federal University of Tech, Akure (FUTA) renders the servic you seek for. However, I want to believe that you can have similar thing done in Kwara state. There are several institutes dedicated to agric practices there. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 8:25pm On Mar 11, 2015
Eggcelent:
tunezvic. I know the Agric Dept at Federal University of Tech, Akure (FUTA) renders the servic you seek for. However, I want to believe that you can have similar thing done in Kwara state. There are several institutes dedicated to agric practices there. Success.
tanks a million.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 8:30pm On Mar 11, 2015
@tunezvic, can u write out the formula for ogas in the house to assess.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 8:41pm On Mar 11, 2015
if i see the formula i can calculate the ME and d CP .....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2015
mercylicious:
@kevin,
plz share your result on gnld supergrow for poultry. did u notice any improvement on the test broilers?

@house, i heard from.unconfirmed sources that garlic helps in feed conversion to weight in broilers. has anyone tried it?
Health Benefits Of Garlic to chickens. I'll be testing it on my next batch of chicks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:55pm On Mar 11, 2015
fishleg123:
Good morning house, pls, what is d exact amount of grower feed that a laying bird, 20 weeks old, should be eating for best performance.
Thanks.
There are charts where you can get that information from. There is one here. The one there is for hyline brown layers but I think Isa brown and shaver are the common layers available in nigeria. The feed they will need will be slightly higher than that of hyline, so you have to use it to get estimate values.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2015
AkayTopsy:
Farmers in the house. Can anyone give a scientific explanation to the following:

Fig1: The Egg weighing 98grams.
Fig2: The cracked Egg carrying another shelled egg inside.
Fig3: The inner Egg after crack has a normal yolk and egg white.

Flock age: 24week old.

The average egg size of my flock is 55grams. Though on the average daily I get 1 or 2 extra large size egg, but they usually carry 2 yolks (not shelled egg like this one)

Any scientific explanation for this?
It's normal so far as it does not happen all the time. You'll likely see different kinds of abnormal eggs like the ones described here.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 11:15pm On Mar 11, 2015
tucurj:
Pls House,how Many Kg Of Maize Will I Had To One Bag (25kg) Of Top Feed 40% Layer Concentrate.What Was Written On The Bag Is That I Only Need To Had 60 Maize But I Dont Understand The 60%,pls Help Me Out.
@eggcelent, farmtech, jamp and omotititi. pls what is ur take on this. give us more clarification.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 3:37am On Mar 12, 2015
FarmTech:

It's normal so far as it does not happen all the time. You'll likely see different kinds of abnormal eggs like the ones described here.

Thanks for the link.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 7:51am On Mar 12, 2015
Pls house help me my farm solder ant is coming there annd disturbing my birds pls help me on how to eradicate them.i am using otapiapia but it has no impacts thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo:
Pls house help me my farm solder ant is coming there annd disturbing my birds pls help me on how to eradicate them.i am using otapiapia but it has no impacts thanks
try as much as possible to maintain cleanliness around ur pen...avoid pouring of "peppery water" or any food wastes cos dat is wat invite soldier ant.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:56am On Mar 12, 2015
samuel25:

@eggcelent, farmtech, jamp and omotititi. pls what is ur take on this. give us more clarification.

to make one ton(40 bags) you need six bags of maize(100kg) and 16bags of the concentrate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 8:22am On Mar 12, 2015
thank u sooo much @eggcellent.I will sell them off this easter season. I m brooding 300 chi that are 17 days old now.I gave them gomboro at 10 days pls when next should give them I mean the next vaccine.thank.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 8:30am On Mar 12, 2015
justified19:
try as much as possible to maintain cleanliness around ur pen...avoid pouring of "peppery water" or any food wastes cos dat is wat invite soldier ant.
thanks any drug u can suggest for me
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 9:18am On Mar 12, 2015
@judithume have
u given them 1st lasota? they ought to have been given 1st lasota at
day 15.......but dont u have vaccination program for pullets?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo. Why are you insistent on using "any drug". justified19 has given you the natural, cost-free way to reducing, if not eliminate, the occurrence, yet you were still asking for "any drug".

judithume. I assume you raised the batch you are planning to cull yourself. In that case; follow the same vaccination schedule. However, just foe saying sake, I want to believe that CHI give their DOCs i/o at the hatchery, therefore, you may wish to repeat the gumboro vaccine this weekend and then administer Lasota after a week. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 12, 2015
my birds are still dying @kelvin96. even after d treatment by d vet..dia is no symptoms at all, by evening/night they re ok, by morning I wld meet one or two dead.I took one for pm nd he said it wasnt Newcastle dt it was cholera nd av been using d drug he prescribed(amprocox)av lost 10 birds so far. im confused at d moment. could it b lice?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 1:47pm On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo:

Add a small quantity of 'DD force' into the water and spray the surrounding area of your pen. This should keep them away for few hours. So, do it at least once a day(especially in the evening).
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:52pm On Mar 12, 2015
tucurj:
Pls House,how Many Kg Of Maize Will I Had To One Bag (25kg) Of Top Feed 40% Layer Concentrate.What Was Written On The Bag Is That I Only Need To Had 60 Maize But I Dont Understand The 60,pls Help Me Out.

I don't understand the question, what do you mean by 40 percent layer concentrate? Also how much kg are you mixing? Is it up to 1 ton?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 2:00pm On Mar 12, 2015
omejeo:
Most importantly, keep the whole surroundings clean - no spilled feed, no droppings, no food waste etc. I found that I usually get the problem when I become lazy and allow the surrounding to get dirty. I usually burn them with fire, use salt water or dd force.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 2:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
kelvin96:
if i see the formula i can calculate the ME and d CP .....
alright send me an email:tunezvic@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 4:51pm On Mar 12, 2015
FarmTech:

I don't understand the question, what do you mean by 40 percent layer concentrate? Also how much kg are you mixing? Is it up to 1 ton?
Its Top Feed Concentrate For Layers,whats Written On The Bag Is 40% Layer Concentrate And You Only Need To Add 60 Maize
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 5:28pm On Mar 12, 2015
Thanks i appreciate
FarmTech:

Most importantly, keep the whole surroundings clean - no spilled feed, no droppings, no food waste etc. I found that I usually get the problem when I become lazy and allow the surrounding to get dirty. I usually burn them with fire, use salt water or dd force.

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.