Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,323 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966627 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 16, 2015
Judithume:
Pls how important is mareks vaccine? My birds are ,300 n the vaccine is expensive 4000advice me what to do

Just do dat vaccine anyhow anyhow. In the journey of poultry farming, never take chances when it comes to vaccine.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:40pm On Mar 16, 2015
Judithume:
Pls how important is mareks vaccine? My birds are ,300 n the vaccine is expensive 4000advice me what to do
The fact is ; if your pen is new and you've not reared laying birds on it before, you may skip it because most hatcheries would had given Marek's.
however, I will advice you not to look at the cost but give the vaccine.
Marek's affects the birds at point of lay and could be devastating.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 1:45pm On Mar 16, 2015
curiousme:
@aAk1 MESUREMENT for DOC is DIFFERENT Now, like i said b4 use (2025 sqcm) for ADULT BIRD WHile U use (225 sqcm) for DOC i.e for a space of 30ft by 60ft, d room/pen will house 1000*2000/225 sqcm =8888.8888 DOC Birds for just MaX of 3 weeks.
Mind u Broilar has a different CALCULATION. both calculation is for pullet & corkrel. hope u understand.
thanks sir sorry I've been away for some time.i appreciate
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
25 x 50ft would accomodate about 6(120birds) cages per row, making 12 units in all. But you can make the width about 28/30ft to create ample space on all sides.
Trueigbo:
hello house, am constructing a new pen that will house 2 rows of battery cages. what is the size of the pen. am thinking of 25ft by 50ft.
please i need advice
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 2:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
davidzfarm18:

The fact is ; if your pen is new and you've not reared laying birds on it before, you may skip it because most hatcheries would had given Marek's.
however, I will advice you not to look at the cost but give the vaccine.
Marek's affects the birds at point of lay and could be devastating.
I was just about to ask this question. I know most hatcheries do mareks vaccine and I've also witness it fail. What I want to know is, can it be overdosed?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 3:32pm On Mar 16, 2015
aAK1:
I was just about to ask this question. I know most hatcheries do mareks vaccine and I've also witness it fail. What I want to know is, can it be overdosed?
Nope.
the strain of vaccine given at hatchery is different from the one you are to give.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
HELLO HOUSE,PLS CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE TOTAL COST OF RAISING POL TILL THEY START LAYING.THE QTY OF FEED,BATTERY CAGE COST THAT WILL CONTAIN ONLY 100,DRUGS AND OTHER THINGS NECESSARY.THOUGH I HAD A BITTER EXPERIENCE COS I GOT MY LAYER THEN@3 WEEKS WITHOUT PROPER VACCINATION,THOUGH THEY RE LAYING NOW BUT I WANT TO VE A LARGE QTY.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2015
@Aak1 ......about four years ago i lost 800 pullets to mareks when dey were 18weeks old...they just started laying at dat age. at first i never belived it could be mareks because d vaccine was given but after series of pm and a lab result from animal care confirms it was mareks...it was a bad experince. honestly d vaccince was given to them at the hacthery but it failed... so an expert from animal care advised me to always repeat d vaccine when dey are 20 days old. he told me if i repeat it at day 4 or day 5 like most vet always advised...that there might be a problem because at day 5 the marek vaccine inside d birds is still very fresh , so repeating it at that stage might just rendered the both vaccinces impotent...but waiting for another 2 weeks before repeating will just do d job....... so after that huge loss...i ve been doing it just like dat and belive me....no mareks problem since then.

@judithume.......please i use God beg u......try ur best and give them mareks vaccine.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 5:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
tabontabon:
25 x 50ft would accomodate about 6(120birds) cages per row, making 12 units in all. But you can make the width about 28/30ft to create ample space on all sides.

thanks i appreciate
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bintudon(f): 5:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
@bintudon,

i dont think i understood u...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pharmmylovey: 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
@drmalik is Abeokuta too far for you to pack birds because you never gave any feedback to the question on my farm's location you asked.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 9:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
FarmTech:

Broiler farmers in the house, is this realistic?

A CAPITAL yes for a farmer with 1000 birds above.

Let me break it down for you guys thinking the guy is a thief. Though he should have make it 390/400 to attracts more supplies.

Except between August and October, DOC is usually below #150 or even below #100. Our present stock is #90/bird.

A birds is expected to take between 3.5kg/4.0kg of feed between day 1 to 6weeks/seven weeks. And the expected body weight during this period should be around 1.8kg/2kg depending on your feeding patterns. And let assume you didn't made your feed(quite less expensive) but you bought it ready made(top feed). A 25kg of broiler starter worth #2700 and finisher mash 2600. But they're doing promo now, you can get it 2600 and 2500 naira respectively.

DOC #150/bird

Feed #416/4kg

Others # 50

Total #616

with the guy prize 1.9kg worth #703- 616= #87/bird.

With the above calculation, the profit is #87/bird( not much) but you can minimize you cost by making use of concentrate and maize(especially finisher mash). You also make more profit if the prize of DOC is below the amount mentioned above.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 10:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
My greatest farmer in da house. Pls help ur pikin.
My brown layers is given me so much concern. Only one Started laying @18weeks.after a week others follow. Out of 330 birds I only see 6 crates n few pieces daily. Av gvn dem d necessary drugs n vaccines. Yet no improvement.
My question is?
1. I dis aw poultry farmers experience as first tym.
2. Wat should I do. If I can't get dem 16 hours of light cause of Nepa issues. Aw will I go abt it.
3. Dey r 28weeks yet no yet improvement.
4. Don't even know what to ask. I nid ur ideas please oooooooooooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 10:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
OK thanks for the advice. I will give them the Marek's in 2 days time. But is typhoid vaccine also important
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 10:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
doctormalik:
370 per kg. I can pick minimum of 1000. I can buy from Ibadan very well.

You should make it 390/400 like others.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
yemmit90:

Let me break it down for you guys thinking the guy is a thief. Though he should have make it 390/400 to attracts more supplies.

Except between August and October, DOC is usually below #150 or even below #100. Our present stock is #90/bird.

A birds is expected to take between 3.5kg/4.0kg of feed between day 1 to 6weeks/seven weeks. And the expected body weight during this period should be around 1.8kg/2kg depending on your feeding patterns. And let assume you didn't made your feed(quite less expensive) but you bought it ready made(top feed). A 25kg of broiler starter worth #2700 and finisher mash 2600. But they're doing promo now, you can get it 2600 and 2500 naira respectively.

DOC #150/bird

Feed #416/4kg

Others # 50

Total #616

With the above calculation, the profit is #87/bird( not much) but you can minimize you cost by making use of concentrate and maize(especially finisher mash). You also make more profit if the prize of DOC is below the amount mentioned above.

Going by ur calculation(s), it will cost N616,000 to raise 1000 birds to that 1.9Kg, and after 6-7weeks, u end up with a profit of N87,000 (assuming zero mortality).

With all the risks involved in poultry farming, you expect a farmer to risk his/her N616,000 because he/she is targeting a profit of less than 15% of the capital invested?

Bro, the price he offered is very much poor. Mind you we didn't even factor out cost of labour in the calculation.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Globaby01: 11:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
my broiler turns 6 weeks today, many looks sick, two died this morning making it 10 mortality since the day it was bought, reason: i cant explain. i also noticed that they are not feeding as they used to, i started noticing it yesterday where i gave them the quota that i used to give them. when i came back from work, i saw they couldn't finish it. i don't know if they noticed the finisher inside their grower mash because i mixed some quantity as i will soon change to finisher. but that is how i changed from starter to grower. so what is happening. can someone who has same experience share on what i can do to save the remaining 41 broilers to Easter sales.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin961: 12:09am On Mar 17, 2015
Globaby01:
my broiler turns 6 weeks today, many looks sick, two died this morning making it 10 mortality since the day it was bought, reason: i cant explain. i also noticed that they are not feeding as they used to, i started noticing it yesterday where i gave them the quota that i used to give them. when i came back from work, i saw they couldn't finish it. i don't know if they noticed the finisher inside their grower mash because i mixed some quantity as i will soon change to finisher. but that is how i changed from starter to grower. so what is happening. can someone who has same experience share on what i can do to save the remaining 41 broilers to Easter sales.

Can you give us d history of this birds..... The drugs and vaccines given till date.... This has nothing to do with the feed.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin961: 12:22am On Mar 17, 2015
Judithume:
OK thanks for the advice. I will give them the Marek's in 2 days time. But is typhoid vaccine also important
Typhoid is very important too... Please there is no vaccine that is not important... Especially in lives of pullets.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 4:26am On Mar 17, 2015
What is their droppings like?
If it has blood,then coccidiosis is suspect.
When last did you deworm them?
Globaby01:
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 17, 2015
yemmit90:

You should make it 390/400 like others.
ok good. Let me know whenever you are ready.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 9:33am On Mar 17, 2015
I have few of these poultry water regulators for sale. For those of us looking to convert our brooding pen to nipple drinkers, this is a must have. It helps you minimize the pressure of the water the the nipples to avoid drenching the chicks and wetting the litter.

You need just one for each brooding pen.

Each unit of it sells for $69 or more on Aliexpress

Each unit goes for N14,200. I will be willing to deliver to anywhere in Lagos for an extra N500 fee.

I also have ball type nipple drinkers for sale. Each one costs N80.

Prices are best offer (non-negotiable).

Please reach me on 08091085605.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 9:42am On Mar 17, 2015
brownskingirl. Tell us a little more about your birds. Are they on the floor or in cages? Is the weight largely uniform? Are they healthy? What vaccines have you given them & when? Meanwhile, for the light, you can get a number of rechargeable lamps. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 9:51am On Mar 17, 2015
Perpetual459. How many POL birds are you looking at?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 10:20am On Mar 17, 2015
100 POL
Eggcelent:
Perpetual459. How many POL birds are you looking at?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 1:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
doctormalik:
ok good. Let me know whenever you are ready.

Although we don't have problem with our current buyers but certainly we will like to patronize you soonest when our newly Ten thousand capacity pen is complete.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
ok. Prepare for 9 bags of feeds. That should take them for 5 weeks at 65g/bird/day. The cage to house 100 birds shouldn't be more than 65k. You may need to do a couple of vaccination. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
Perpetual459. Prepare for 9 bags of feeds. That should take them for 5 weeks at 65g/bird/day. The cage to house 100 birds shouldn't be more than 65k. You may need to do a couple of vaccination. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bintudon(f): 1:20pm On Mar 17, 2015
Okay, I have large pen for just rearing chick up to two weeks, if you can't rear day old I can do it and all vaccine will be given as needed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 1:33pm On Mar 17, 2015
thanks
Eggcelent:
Perpetual459. Prepare for 9 bags of feeds. That should take them for 5 weeks at 65g/bird/day. The cage to house 100 birds shouldn't be more than 65k. You may need to do a couple of vaccination. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
yemmit90:

DOC #150/bird

Feed #416/4kg

Others # 50

Total #616

Ur calculation is not entirely right.
live weight of the birds are put at the figures above, dress weight is normally .5 to
.4 less depending on the breed.
however, I am aware of the prize regime in the west.The weather, cost of DOC and Feed is favourable in that axis

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.