Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965236 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 9:09pm On Jun 18, 2015
omotititi. Nice one. Big congrats. Greater things on their way.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 10:24pm On Jun 18, 2015
Congrats omoti
. Kelvin, egg cellent, David n all my mentors not mentioned here. My bird finally did the squatting today afternoon. I'm happy. Though I noticed that 3 of my birds have tears in their eye n one of them have cough so I gave them drug that Contains neomycin and oxytetracyclin. I hope I'm on the right track. Thanks once again my great farmers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nnaemeka1990: 12:55am On Jun 19, 2015
omotititi:
Hello house,

we have been off the forum for a while now cos we were working on our second pen of 160 by 30. we have just finished d roofing and it has been really cash-intensive. But we give God all the glory .

see pix

Well done Sir. God bless your hustle
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:52am On Jun 19, 2015
omotititi:
Hello house,

we have been off the forum for a while now cos we were working on our second pen of 160 by 30. we have just finished d roofing and it has been really cash-intensive. But we give God all the glory .

see pix

ogaaaaaaa congratulobia. your number is not going through

when you are large..... you are large. may God continue to enlarge your coast. this is massive
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:11am On Jun 19, 2015
my second batch started laying at 21wks 5days. they are 23wks today and we have 5% production.

my biggest challenge is how to reduce cost of feeding. i use topfeed, the cost is very high. i spend almost 2,500 for one bag of feed(plus transportation). should i change to a cheaper feed or mill my own feed(source/quality of ingredient is another wahala)

please house i need suggestion on how to tackle this inorder to maximize profit.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 7:49am On Jun 19, 2015
jamp:
my second batch started laying at 21wks 5days. they are 23wks today and we have 5% production.

my biggest challenge is how to reduce cost of feeding. i use topfeed, the cost is very high. i spend almost 2,500 for one bag of feed(plus transportation). should i change to a cheaper feed or mill my own feed(source/quality of ingredient is another wahala)

please house i need suggestion on how to tackle this inorder to maximize profit.

Milling your own feed is the way to go IMO...you may want to experiment by dividing your birds into two groups...monitor rate of lay for a while (say two weeks) and then swap one group to your milled feed while keeping the other on ready made feed...then compare rates of lay over two weeks again

The only source of worry over quality is toxins in the maize. You cal always add an antitoxin to the feed or use Superliv/Bioliv for every month.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 7:54am On Jun 19, 2015
jamp:

@ Jamp milling your own feed may be a way out.

I have 3,260 birds and at 24wks are at about 12%. My pocket is crying!

Taken some advice from the house and praying things improve in the coming days.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:05am On Jun 19, 2015
laposta:

Milling your own feed is the way to go IMO...you may want to experiment by dividing your birds into two groups...monitor rate of lay for a while (say two weeks) and then swap one group to your milled feed while keeping the other on ready made feed...then compare rates of lay over two weeks again

The only source of worry over quality is toxins in the maize. You cal always add an antitoxin to the feed or use Superliv/Bioliv for every month.

Cheers

thanks bro. you have a point. i will consider that
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:06am On Jun 19, 2015
segun1976:

@ Jamp milling your own feed may be a way out.

I have 3,260 birds and at 24wks are at about 12%. My pocket is crying!

Taken some advice from the house and praying things improve in the coming days.

i will consider the option.

thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 8:37am On Jun 19, 2015
tnx all for your contributions. Though my birds are yet to recover, but given the advice and encouragement from forum members; Im very hopeful and optimistic that it SHALL BE WELL. smiley

@jamp I think there is no doubt Milling ur feed is the way to go. the other alternative would be to switch to any other feed that the dealer is willing to give you a good discount. I understand animal care does as low asN2150/bag. But the birds perfomance under the use of the feed is what I don't know.

@omotiti more ENGINE OIL to ur elbow. Success to all.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 9:25am On Jun 19, 2015
Thank you all my mentors/brothers/sisters for the words of encouragement. I am greatly moved by this outpouring of love. God will continue to enlarge our coast.

@Jamp...... Kindly commence milling your feed cos that is the only way to reduce cost. I have been using my compounded mills for more than 2yrs now and it has been working . Please ,quickly switch to local feeds and take the steps Laposta advised you in his post.

Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 6:18pm On Jun 19, 2015
omotititi:
Thank you all my mentors/brothers/sisters for the words of encouragement. I am greatly moved by this outpouring of love. God will continue to enlarge our coast.

@Jamp...... Kindly commence milling your feed cos that is the only way to reduce cost. I have been using my compounded mills for more than 2yrs now and it has been working . Please ,quickly switch to local feeds and take the steps Laposta advised you in his post.

Thank you.
@omotiti, do you also compound your chick and grower mash? Do you have similar egg production rates compared to when you u used ready-made feed in the past?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davies427: 11:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
I am a testmony that milling ur own feed is the best. If u ave above 2k birds. It best u mill from day one. Dat one i mean, is u mill when they r doc. Thereby u can reduce ur spending n maximize ur profit. It saves u time n energy. One u dont ave to worry abt lack of feed or feed increase. 2, when ur birds r in laying stages, if u compound ur feed well, ur eggs comes out very brown n yolk is yellow. That attracts buys to come to u. Soo anyone on this forum that ave over 2k birds. Pls may God enrich ur pocket, i will strongly an 150% advice u to mill ur feed it d best.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:37am On Jun 20, 2015
aralgreen:
@farmtech thaks i guess the tylodox is for crd
Not only crd. Can't recall others.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 3:52am On Jun 20, 2015
Thanks for the info davies427
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:56am On Jun 20, 2015
Judithume:
Congrats omoti
. Kelvin, egg cellent, David n all my mentors not mentioned here. My bird finally did the squatting today afternoon. I'm happy. Though I noticed that 3 of my birds have tears in their eye n one of them have cough so I gave them drug that Contains neomycin and oxytetracyclin. I hope I'm on the right track. Thanks once again my great farmers
Look for drugs that contains Enrofloxacin or Tylosin. Give for 5 days as against the 3 days prescriptions. it will kill off the cough and other related diseases.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 1:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Judithume. Big congrats. If the money is there, kindly do as advised by davidzfarm18. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Thanks @davidzfarm. I'm now using kenflox for the watery eyes. I added it to the medication I was giving them earlier. They are now better by this evening. Thanks again.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 11:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
Pls house, wat cld be responsible for a bird to develope a swollen downside, i noticed dat d area around d vent is swollen.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
NAFDAC Advises Nigerians Against Consumption of Foreign Poultry Products
June 20, 2015 Food
Poultry-Products-1806.jpg - Poultry-Products-1806.jpg

The National Agency for Food and Drug Control have called on Nigerians to stop the consumption of foreign frozen chicken and turkey, as they have been proven to contain substances that are harmful to the human body.

According to the Director General of the agency, Dr. Paul Orhii, who gave the advice during a press briefing held in their new office in Isolo to sensitise Nigerians on the health implications of foreign birds, said most of these products have been known to contain substances that predisposes one to kidney, liver and lung diseases as well as certain types of cancer and substances that cause drug resistance to people who consume them.

He said the agency has control over how local chicken and turkey were bred, as their method of handling, type of feeding and the environment they are been bred were monitored by the agency, but that foreign bred poultry products were not regulated, hence putting the rearers at liberty to breed them without considering human safety.

“Since these foreign poultry products are banned items from entering the country, those breeding them use all manner of chemicals on them and then smuggle them into the country while unsuspecting Nigerians patronise them without knowing what substances such chicken and turkey contain.”

He explained that even the manner in which they were been transported into the country would cause harm to the body, as some were hidden under the cars or trucks while being smuggled into the country, causing extreme heat to them. Adding that “some of them spend days on the road while taking these products through the bush parts across our borders and at the end, some of them ends up spoiling, yet they would still be sold to Nigerians, often at cheaper prices,” he added.

While reiterating the agency’s commitment to working with Nigerian customs in putting stringent measures on ground for prevention of smuggled products into the country, he called on Nigerians to help in identification of foreign birds. “NAFDAC should be alerted on this so that necessary actions will be taken,” he said.

In his remark, Prof. Olumide Tewe who together with his research team discovered that foreign poultry products contain harmful toxic substances to the human body, warned that the continuous consumption of foreign frozen chicken and turkey would overtime cause serious damage to the body.

According to him, the research was done while comparing various substances in foreign poultry products and that of locally bred poultry products. “It was discovered that the foreign poultry products contain high levels of formaldehyde, as well as high levels of metals and other substances which are lethal to the human body as against the locally bred poultry products which did not contain such substances.”

Prof. Tewe’s research team also believed that most of the foreign poultry products being smuggled into the country were being treated with certain types of antibiotics that causes drug resistance to persons who consumes them.

Throwing more light on the harm done to consumers of foreign chicken and turkey, a member of the research team, Dr. Bidemi Omotosho, explained that some of the studies done on foreign poultry products showed that they contain high level of chloroquinolone, which she described as a powerful antibiotic only used on humans under certain conditions.

According to her, “for someone who consumes chicken or turkey often, it is most likely that person must have taken in excess levels of chloroquinolone which overtime becomes resistant to the antibiotic. So when ever this class of people needs to be treated on chloroquinolone, their body would be resistant to it because they have taken a lot of it into their body system through the foreign chicken and turkey consumed.”

She noted that locally bred poultry products do not contain this substance and other toxic substances often noticed in the foreign bred birds.

She therefore called on the government to put measures in place to prevent smugglers from bringing banned poultry products into the country, adding that Nigerians must stop consuming foreign chicken and turkey.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 9:22am On Jun 21, 2015
endy247:
Pls house, wat cld be responsible for a bird to develope a swollen downside, i noticed dat d area around d vent is swollen.
Does it walk or stand with tail pointing downward?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Theonlyson(m): 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
helo house pls is it adviceable 2 gv ur boilers b-complex, and at wat days
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 7:47pm On Jun 21, 2015
jamp:

i will consider the option.
thanks

@Jamp and @Segun1976, You need to feed your birds very well and make sure they get enough water to drink. I have 2820 birds and they started laying exactly at 18weeks, June 1st. Today, I have reached 20% production as at today, I got 18crates of eggs. I use Livestock feed all through from day old till today. I have purchase feed of 2.5m as at my last order. My prayer now is for them to start feeding themselves.

I have battery cage for sell 90birds per unit at 80,000. Any one interested pls call me on 08181149796, 07036124817

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 9:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
@Afosoft, thanks I agree with your opinion.
Congrats on your birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femo86(m): 5:41am On Jun 22, 2015
Morning all. To the experienced ones, I intend starting with 50 birds now,(broilers or cockrel) to be sold later, in which i will then prepare another for the festive period of xmas (this will be due to d experience of d 50 birds). The land is available with water, Need general advice for starting( housing, feeding,etc). Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by phoenixinc: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hello House,

I stumbled upon this thread on Friday and took me up till now to catch up. Read every page till the last page, I must commend everyone that have contributed so far.

So here is my story, I have been working on getting involve in poultry farming for a while now and have been working diligently to achieve this.

Land purchased about 11.5 plots somewhere in ogun state fenced it all around.

Just finished the staff quaters and the office block with two security houses. As well all know it's capital intensive.

I had this grand plan of going full scale commercial but having read through this blog I'm rethinking my strategy.

The next phase of my project is constructing the pen itself, which up to date seems to be the most expensive single construction yet.

The proposed capacity should house about 13500 birds. Of course I'm not starting with that much. I'm just thinking long term.

So I've been given the dimension of the pen. What I need to know from the house is, how much realistically should this pen cost?

The dimension is length 80m, Width 12m and height 3.5.

Many thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by danyegbule: 6:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
Can someone help me out here? My birds have been doing well since I brought them at DOC and they are 6weeks today. But since last week I discovered that their stool was blood and I treated with amprosol for 5 days and started giving them multivite but today I noticed that their stool is whitish and some is little greenish with white and watery and they are week and not eating. Should I be worried?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
danyegbule:
Can someone help me out here? My birds have been doing well since I brought them at DOC and they are 6weeks today. But since last week I discovered that their stool was blood and I treated with amprosol for 5 days and started giving them multivite but today I noticed that their stool is whitish and some is little greenish with white and watery and they are week and not eating. Should I be worried?

have you given them lasota and gumboro? if yes when.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:10pm On Jun 22, 2015
House, please, what is the breed of the black pullets/layers we have in Nigeria? I know we have the Isa Brown, as well as the Shaka Brown. So what breed is the black pullets/layers, please?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:53am On Jun 23, 2015
Eggcelent:
House, please, what is the breed of the black pullets/layers we have in Nigeria? I know we have the Isa Brown, as well as the Shaka Brown. So what breed is the black pullets/layers, please?

Good morning sir. We have haco black and bovan nera
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:53am On Jun 23, 2015
Thanks jamp. You are wonderful. How are the birds which came into lay recently?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by danyegbule: 11:09am On Jun 23, 2015
jamp:

have you given them lasota and gumboro? if yes when.
I have given them gumboro three times, week 1, week 3 and week 5 and lasota twice in week 2 and 6. Thanks so very much @jamp

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.