Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (964562 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by whatalife: 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2012
@fnk,thank u sir i got ur mail, waiting for the virushield formular sir
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2012
My people pl make don't be angry with me, I tried uploading the pictures yesterday but it wasn't working. Whike I was away, seun upgraded nairaland and I found it herculian uploading fotos.

Will work on it tmrw pl. Am very much back now.

Basking4me

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidzfarm: THANK GOD YOU ARE BACK.(BASKING4ME), UR LONG ABSENCE WAS QUITE WORRISOME FOR SOME OF US WHO TOOK AFTER UR LEAD IN POULTRY FARMING.GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOUR RETURNS ARE QUITE HIGH DESPITE THE MORTALITIES. THE INTERNET HAS REALLY ASSISTED ME WITH MY BUSINESS AND WITHIN A NINE MONTH PERIOD, MY BIRDS HAVE INCREASED FROM 100 TO ALMOST 400. I'LL BE WILLING TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCED IN THE AREA OF FEED MILLING WHICH CAN REDUCE UR COST OF PRODUCTION TO ABOUT 30%.

Please share the processes you use to mill the feed, cost and locations where one can buy the ingredients. Please give us the whole 9 yard.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 6:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
LET me spill it. If you happen to stay upnorth, you'll definately know whats called DUSA ;maize offal( a bye product of dehulling maize to make maize flower or Tuwo. maize constitute about 40 -60 percent of poultry feed ingredient,research efforts have gone into finding alternative for maize and other expensive poultry feed ingredients.
just google,
REPLACEMENT VALUE OF DUSA IN POULTRY FEEDS
COMMON LAYERS RATION.
HOME MADE FEEDS FOR SHIKA BROWN.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
Customs Impounds, Destroys Poultry Products

13 July 2012
NIGERIA - In the continual battle against smugglers, the Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’ Ikeja Lagos, made a massive seizure and destruction of over 6,000 cartons of assorted poultry products with a duty paid value (DPV) of N25.2 million recently.
Vanguard reports that the Customs Area Controller, Federal Operations Unit, Comptroller Dan Ugo, made this disclosure while conducting the press round the seized goods.

The Controller said that the unit has no choice other than to carry on the battle to ensure strict compliance with the order of the Customs Comptroller General, Alhaji Abdullahi Dikko Inde (CFR) and his management team on zero tolerance for import of poultry products.

The CAC said the unit was determined to remain on top of this campaign through intensified intelligence networks, which have proved very effective in the actualisation of the objectives.

He said: “The CGC has provided the platform for these successes through his various capacity building programmes aimed at equipping officers with the necessary skills for better performance.”

He added that the unit will do everything in its powers to nip in the bud the activities of these "unpatriotic and unscrupulous" elements that have constituted a clog in the economic wheel of progress of the nation.
ThePoultrySite News Desk
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
Get on board guys. See below:

USAID Poultry Initiative to Generate N58 Billion

11 June 2012
NIGERIA - The Poultry Association of Nigeria has said the unrestricted trans-border trade among poultry farmers in West Africa will bring N58bn to Nigeria.
According to Punch, PAN Secretary, John Olateru, said the initiative, which was facilitated by the United State Agency for International Development, would also help poultry farmers in the sub-region to attract foreign investments.

Mr Olateru spoke in Lagos at a regional workshop on Hatchery Certification Standards for West Africa.

He said, “Many international poultry farmers had indicated interest to invest in the industry to complement the existing investments.

“We will take advantage of the opportunity of this initiative to create new markets and increase our productivity.”

He added that Nigeria with over 160 million people would soon boost its human capital development indices with the full implementation of the initiative.

He said the decision of USAID’s to bring farmers together would galvanise the industry.

USAID representative, Suzanne Ngo-Eyok, said the agency had been working to develop hatcheries, laboratories and veterinary services in eight west African countries to boost regional poultry trade and check bird flu.

The countries are Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Cote d’Ivoire.

She said, “Since the Avian Influenza outbreak in 2007, three countries have put in measures to prevent the spread of the disease. Now that Avian Influenza has disappeared in so many countries, those restrictions are still in place.”

She said USAID was looking at laboratory and veterinary services and urged operators to ensure that international sanitary code of conduct for hatchery were strictly adhered to.

Ms Ngo-Eyok said, “At the moment, Nigeria is at an advantage because poultry supply in other countries of the region is low. In Benin, they have their day old chick coming from Belgium, even eggs to hatch their hatcheries come from Belgium Netherlands and Brazil, when they could come and get them from Nigeria.

“That is why USAID has decided to support this initiative to bring all the regional stakeholders together and reintroduce trust to find a solution and a way to open up trade in West Africa.”
ThePoultrySite News Desk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
Transforming Poultry Waste to Wealth in Lagos
29 March 2012

NIGERIA - In line with the state’s commitment of turning waste to wealth, the Lagos State government has introduced a new technology that will transform waste from poultry farms into very rich manure for crop cultivation.
The method, according to Saba Gbolahan Adekunle, a poultry facilitator from the state ministry of agriculture and cooperatives, will not only curb the environmental hazards associated with the crude method of poultry waste disposal, but also yield huge income for the farmers.

BusinessDay reports that Mr Adekunle spoke in Lagos recently during a meeting with the first allottees of the state’s 80 Hectares Poultry Farm Estate, Erikorodo, in Ikorodu North Local Council Development Area. He disclosed that 1,000 birds produce 900kg of waste every week, and pointed out the need for farmers to know the volume of waste being generated in their poultries to be able to ascertain the value.

He noted that many poultry farms have been forced to close down due to poor environmental standards, whereas they have been losing huge income due to poor management of the waste generated in their farms.

“Waste from poultry is supposed to be managed properly. What they do is to gather the waste and set them on fire when they are dry which is not healthy enough. We are going to help them manage it properly with a new technology that will enable them transform the waste into manure, bag it and sell to crop farmers. The manure produced is even richer and better than fertilizer,” Mr Adekunle stated.

Earlier, Gbolahan Lawal, the state commissioner for agriculture, noted that the farm estate was established to revamp the poultry production business in the state, guarantee steady sources of animal protein to Lagosians, provide employment to the teeming population of youths and also provide a viable business for investors.

Mr Lawal assured that government will provide necessary infrastructure and utilities for the farmers in the estate. These include - a 10,000-bird capacity mechanised broiler house, feed mill with capacity to produce 12-ton of feed mill per day and a poultry processing plant with capacity to process 2,000 birds daily.

Ogunsetan Olugbenga, secretary, Poultry Association of Nigeria, Lagos branch, commended the government for the initiative, noting that the new technology would be environment friendly and also improve farmers’ productivity, while serving as a model in the country.

Adekunle Oshukoya, a retiree and one of the allotees, expressed appreciation to government for encouraging development of agriculture in the state through the poultry farm scheme as well as other farming schemes.

Other agricultural projects carried out by the state government in conjunction with the private sector include; 20,000 tons annual capacity rice mill in Imota, 1,000 annual capacity cassava flour factory at Imota , agro-allied park at Imota also, pig breeding centre at the Pig Estate in Gberigbe, Fish Farm Estate in Ketu Ereyun, Epe and the Vegetable Estate at Iya-Afin, Badagry.

ThePoultrySite News Desk

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
PLS LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND THIS USEFUL
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by markie79: 11:38am On Jul 24, 2012
Pls can anybody tell me where i can buy point of lay chicken and used battery cage
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by RURIE: 4:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
@Markie79 Pls visit http://www.animalcare-ng.com/

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2012
Hello every one.I've been a follower of this trend from the very 1st day.I would want us to talk about common diseases that affect chickens and how to treat them.I just had an ugly experience wit coccidiosis on my farm,the birds r stable now but I would want to know if any body has had this experience and how u dealt wit it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by marshal4us(m): 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
I hope this will be interesting to some folk here. I came across this on the internet deem it ok to post it here. I will be staring my farm soon after i graduate from the feed production training i will be starting in 30th august. Read this:With the right ingredients portions, farmers can make their own quality feed to improve indigenous poultry production.
With the rising cost of poultry feeds, farmers rearing chickens are increasingly finding it difficult to make profit from poultry keeping. While it is difficult for farmers to formulate feeds for hybrid chickens such as broilers and layers, they can do so for their indigenous chickens or dual-purpose breeds such as Kenbro under intensive management system. This can be done using the PearsonSquare method.
However, this is only possible if farmers have the right quality of ingredients or raw material for formulating feeds. The Pearson Square method relies on the Digestible Crude Protein (DCP) as the basic nutritional requirement for feed. The most common ingredients used are whole maize, maize germ, cotton seed cake, soya beans, sunflower or omena (fishmeal).
Example 1: Feed for Layers
Assuming that the farmer wants to make feed for their chickens using the Pearson Square method, they have to knowthe crude protein content of each of the ingredients used in feed making. The farmer may use whole maize (8.23 % DCP) Soya (45 % DCP) Omena (55 % DCP) and maize bran (7 % DCP) Sunflower (35 % DCP). To make a 70 kg bag of feed for layers, a farmer would require the following ingredients:
34 kg of whole maize
12 kg of Soya
8 kg of omena
10 kg of maize bran
6 kg of Lime (as a calcium source)
Each category of chickens has its own requirements in terms of nutrition. For example, feed for layers should have at least 18 per cent crude protein. If one were to formulate feed for layers, then they would have to calculate the percentage of digestible crude protein in each of the ingredients to ensure that the total crude protein content is at least 18 per cent to meet this nutritional requirement. To find out if the feed meets this standard, a farmer can do a simple calculation as follows:
Whole maize = 34 kg x 8.23 ÷100 = 2.80 kg
Soya bean = 12 kg x 45 ÷ 100 = 5.40 kg
Omena = 8 kg x 55 ÷ 100 = 4.40 kg
Maize bran = 10 kg x 7 ÷ 100 = 0.70 kg
Lime = 6 kg x 0 ÷ 100 = 0.00 kg
(Total crude protein 13.30 kg)
To get the total crude protein content of all these ingredients in a 70 kg bag, you take the total crude protein content of the combined ingredients, divide by 70 and multiply by 100 thus, (13.30÷70) x 100 = 19.0 %. This shows that the crude protein percentage in the above feed formulation is 19.0 % which is suitable for layers. Before mixing the feed, whole maize including the other ingredients has to be broken into the rightsizes through crushing or milling to make it palatable for the chickens. Add 250 g of table salt on every 70 kg bag of feed.
Feed for chickens meant for meat
Chickens meant for meat production require feed with a higher content of DCP. From the first to the fourth week, the chicks require feed with a DCP content of between 22 to 24 per cent. From the fourth to the eighth week, the chicks require feed with a protein content of 21 to 22 per cent crude protein. To attain this requirement, farmers can formulate feed using the same method given above. To make a 70 kg bags of feed, they will need to have all the right the ingredients in the proportions given below:
Whole maize = 40 kg x 8.23 ÷ 100 = 3.20 kg
Omena = 12 kg x 55 ÷ 100 = 6.60 kg
Soya beans = 14 kg x 45 ÷ 100 = 6.30 kg
Lime = 4 kg x 0 ÷ 100 = 0.00 kg
(Total crude protein 16.10 kg)
To determine if a 70 kg bag of feed has adequate crude protein content for birds meant for meat production, the same methods is used: (16. 10 ÷ 70) x 100 = 23 %. The feed given in this example has a total crude protein content of 23% which is adequate to feed chicken in this category. In every 70 kg bag of feed, add 250g of table salt.
Ration for kienyeji chickens

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Semostika: 11:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
@FNK, may I please have a copy of your wonder document please. My email address is komuoreh@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:35pm On Jul 30, 2012
Semostika: @FNK, may I please have a copy of your wonder document please. My email address is komuoreh@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you.

What you will get is the report on the project that I did, and with the info you can start your own poultry. I am sure there are a lot of people with better info out there or here on this thread.

Good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Semostika: 9:13pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks FNK, I await the document.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2012
(BASKING4ME and Hindsight) what is happening? you are keeping us in the dark. i want to start the business by sept
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
Semostika: Thanks FNK, I await the document.

I have sent it to you already, you might want to check your junk mail is you haven't seen it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leke76: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
tnx so much Marshal4us,pls can u send broilers feed formula to ahmad.adeleke@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gasbi: 4:51am On Aug 04, 2012
Good-work.any-one-in-the-house-from-port-harcourt,that-need-eggs-large-quanty.from-50crates-to-400crates-please-call-08181823029-eny.annoited22@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by faluchi: 1:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
fnk: Transforming Poultry Waste to Wealth in Lagos
29 March 2012

NIGERIA - In line with the state’s commitment of turning waste to wealth, the Lagos State government has introduced a new technology that will transform waste from poultry farms into very rich manure for crop cultivation.
The method, according to Saba Gbolahan Adekunle, a poultry facilitator from the state ministry of agriculture and cooperatives, will not only curb the environmental hazards associated with the crude method of poultry waste disposal, but also yield huge income for the farmers.

BusinessDay reports that Mr Adekunle spoke in Lagos recently during a meeting with the first allottees of the state’s 80 Hectares Poultry Farm Estate, Erikorodo, in Ikorodu North Local Council Development Area. He disclosed that 1,000 birds produce 900kg of waste every week, and pointed out the need for farmers to know the volume of waste being generated in their poultries to be able to ascertain the value.

PLEASE WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF U ARE BACK FROM THE STATE,AS PROMISE COST I NEED TO SEE THE FORMULA WORK

“Waste from poultry is supposed to be managed properly. What they do is to gather the waste and set them on fire when they are dry which is not healthy enough. We are going to help them manage it properly with a new technology that will enable them transform the waste into manure, bag it and sell to crop farmers. The manure produced is even richer and better than fertilizer,” Mr Adekunle stated.

Earlier, Gbolahan Lawal, the state commissioner for agriculture, noted that the farm estate was established to revamp the poultry production business in the state, guarantee steady sources of animal protein to Lagosians, provide employment to the teeming population of youths and also provide a viable business for investors.

Mr Lawal assured that government will provide necessary infrastructure and utilities for the farmers in the estate. These include - a 10,000-bird capacity mechanised broiler house, feed mill with capacity to produce 12-ton of feed mill per day and a poultry processing plant with capacity to process 2,000 birds daily.

Ogunsetan Olugbenga, secretary, Poultry Association of Nigeria, Lagos branch, commended the government for the initiative, noting that the new technology would be environment friendly and also improve farmers’ productivity, while serving as a model in the country.

Adekunle Oshukoya, a retiree and one of the allotees, expressed appreciation to government for encouraging development of agriculture in the state through the poultry farm scheme as well as other farming schemes.

Other agricultural projects carried out by the state government in conjunction with the private sector include; 20,000 tons annual capacity rice mill in Imota, 1,000 annual capacity cassava flour factory at Imota , agro-allied park at Imota also, pig breeding centre at the Pig Estate in Gberigbe, Fish Farm Estate in Ketu Ereyun, Epe and the Vegetable Estate at Iya-Afin, Badagry.

ThePoultrySite News Desk
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
[quote author=faluchi][/quote]

Not back yet, but will be before the end of the month

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2012
what is happening? is it that dis topic is dead and the fowls are dead or the guy did not make money from this?

please i want to start mine by september and i donnt need this dullnesssssss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by HyperBase(m): 3:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
Need to save on your haulage expenditures, reach me on 07064464229 or hyperbase01@aol.com for your 3,5,7,10 and 15 tons interstate haulage trucks. Take off from lagos to northern, eastern and south southern regions of nigeria.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:46pm On Aug 09, 2012
Canadian Firm & Niger Govt to Raise 26M Chickens Yearly

NIGERIA - The Niger Government has completed a partnership arrangement with a Canadian firm to produce 26 million chickens annually, the state Commissioner for Tertiary Education, Dr Mustapha Lemu, has said.
Briefing newsmen on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting in Minna, Dr Lemu said that the collaborative arrangement followed discussions between the government and the Canadian High Commission in Nigeria.

Dr Lemu said that the proposed poultry farm which would operate on 35 hectares located within the airport city project, would also produce 13 million crates of egg yearly.

According to Vanguard, he said that the farm was expected to provide direct employment for 10,000 indigenes and ensure the development of small businesses in the area.

He said that the state government was expected to provide N40 million as its contribution for the take-off of the farm, adding: "The farm will revolutionise farming in the state."

He said the state would benefit from technologies on food processing and preservation, adding that farmers would maximise their gains by reducing post-harvest losses on perishable farm produce.

"Small and medium-sized machinery and technology for juice extraction are readily available and could be acquired and installed through linkages with selected firms in Canada."
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 1:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
test trial AGAIN.! [img][/img]
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 3:06pm On Aug 18, 2012
People.. I have been trying to upload photos here but no succcess.. pl advice how to upload foto on 9raland oo..

This is serious oo..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DeeWan: 9:34pm On Aug 18, 2012
This thread is interesting. I want to start a Poultry business by September with Turkey. Can someone tell me how to prevent diseases from the farm and also buyers of a live turkey?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by langsholt: 10:00pm On Aug 18, 2012
What are the earning possibilities for a poultry farm. generally speaking.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ade101(m): 8:01am On Aug 20, 2012
It 7:30 and i am sitting at the door step of aromokeye vet pharmacy store.I need gomboro vaccine.My chicks are thirsty,this people should open in time oo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.