Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963512 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 9:04am On Sep 26, 2013
at one week and a day
[img][/img]

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 9:08am On Sep 26, 2013
The pullets were debeaked after a week and 2 days. so far we have lost 5 from the broilers and 2 from the layers, the broilers died in transit between the hatchery and the farm. We ordered for 600 each but 10 extra were include , so we had 610 of each .
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 9:13am On Sep 26, 2013
@fnk, sorry I didn't get back to you on our contact at CHI. I realised that the guy we are using is not a staff but an ex staff and he live at oyo, he is not really a contact within.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2013
fnk:

Guys, show us pictures, it makes it more exciting to everyone of us following on this tread. My birds will be coming in tomorrow, I am going to Obasanjo Farm myself to pick them up. It will be fun to see the progress
Here are some pix of both my broilers and cockreals. The crocks are now a 2 months and 2 days today, while the broilers are 2 months and 9 days today. Hope the pix are clear. Cheers

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
leverage12: Here are some pix of both my broilers and cockreals. The crocks are now a 2 months and 2 days today, while the broilers are 2 months and 9 days today. Hope the pix are clear. Cheers
here are some more pixs of my broilers.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 1:23pm On Sep 26, 2013
I recently brought this anti-cocci Amprolium + Sulfaquinoxaline + Vit k3, the issue is that its different from d one i used previously, which has only 'Amprolium'. I want to know if its ok?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 3:34pm On Sep 26, 2013
How do u manage poultry waste. Does anybody knw about waste to energy
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
leverage12: here are some more pixs of my broilers.

Guys the pix looks great, my birds were going to come in today but we were told to come back on Monday.

With all this pix, watch how this thread will light back up. Good job guys.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:11pm On Sep 26, 2013
Idango: My birds at day 2
[img][/img]

This pix looks good. How is the pot heater working? and how much is it?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 9:49am On Sep 27, 2013
Idango: at one week and a day
[img][/img]
Which feed are they having?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adeyemis: 7:05pm On Sep 27, 2013
We are currently in need of a Poultry pen house to rent in any of the following locations; Mowe, Ofada,Owode, Sagamu, Magboro, Ibafo and Simawa area of Ogun State.

Contact sam on 08183552307 or email; segunsam2002@yahoo.co.uk or easifarmin@gmail.com

Call now
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 9:23pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hello guys, am planing of starting up layers in weeks time, but want to ask- between broilers and layers which has more profit?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
fnk:

This pix looks good. How is the pot heater working? and how much is it?

The pots cost about N700 each. You will need to buy charcoals, a bag is about N1200 around IFO area of ogun state. You fill the pot with charcoal and and light the charcaol, you empty the ash and replace with new charcoala after 4-5 hours. The lenght of time the charcoal can last before completely burning off depend on the type of wood the 'coal was derived from. So far there are working perfectly. After the second week the pot will no long be required untill another set.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 10:00pm On Sep 27, 2013
samshoz: Which feed are they having?

We use top feed starter for now, we intend to mix our own feed in the coming weeks to reduce the cost.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 10:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
leverage12: Hello guys, am planing of starting up layers in weeks time, but want to ask- between broilers and layers which has more profit?

My brother, a lot of farmers beleive that broilers are more profitable if you can get buyers for your birds, it is easier to sell your eggs because buyers look for you, but for the broilers , you need to go and look for them. But once you get your sales outlet, i personally beleive that it is through broilers that you can make real money from poultry.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
Idango:

We use top feed starter for now, we intend to mix our own feed in the coming weeks to reduce the cost.

Pls I need assistance on dis mixing of feed. My pulllets are eating a lot. How can we do it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 6:31am On Sep 28, 2013
Idango:

The pots cost about N700 each. You will need to buy charcoals, a bag is about N1200 around IFO area of ogun state. You fill the pot with charcoal and and light the charcaol, you empty the ash and replace with new charcoala after 4-5 hours. The lenght of time the charcoal can last before completely burning off depend on the type of wood the 'coal was derived from. So far there are working perfectly. After the second week the pot will no long be required untill another set.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 6:39am On Sep 28, 2013
Idango:

pls make sure you give them heat for 4 weeks, 2 weeks is not enough, though it depend on the temperature of where you reside but after 2 weeks they need a temperature of about 25 degree. Cheers and good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 6:41am On Sep 28, 2013
Idango:

My brother, a lot of farmers beleive that broilers are more profitable if you can get buyers for your birds, it is easier to sell your eggs because buyers look for you, but for the broilers , you need to go and look for them. But once you get your sales outlet, i personally beleive that it is through broilers that you can make real money from poultry.
thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 12:54pm On Sep 28, 2013
leverage12: Hello guys, am planing of starting up layers in weeks time, but want to ask- between broilers and layers which has more profit?
Profit should be the second thing ,first is your interest ,do you like eggs or meat.Both are profitable but you must do your marketing right.Livestock isnt a paper thing its purely practical.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 1:01pm On Sep 28, 2013
Idango:

To me this is the most tedious part,you have to fan the charcoal to produce heat.Sometime you get carbon monoxide from the charcoal and you must be vigilant not to cause fire in the pen .charcoal pot with direct contact on wood shavings could be delicate.

If you have more than enough openings in your pen house ,you will use more charcoal as the charcoal burn faster than you can ever imagine.Check to see how chicks react to the heat ,its very important and prevent chicks from coming contact with the charcoal pot.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eugeneric: 7:15pm On Sep 28, 2013
guys some of my broilers are kinda slow,eyes closed, watery stool and dripping saliva Wen carried. Hv already lost quiet a Good number already despite using N.C.O and intracox. any ideas plz.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 2:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
eugeneric: guys some of my broilers are kinda slow,eyes closed, watery stool and dripping saliva Wen carried. Hv already lost quiet a Good number already despite using N.C.O and intracox. any ideas plz.

Dont assume,visit a vet doctor,he knows more than we do when it comes to health issues.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
condi1704: @fnk, I was going through this thread. Very intresting and inspiring. Pls can u pls and pls in the name of God send me the excel stuff on 25 broilers to 2.5kg in 7 wks discussed on pg 13. My e-mail is oyeyemioyewo1704@gmail.com. God Bless.
am also interested please send to olutomik@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 7:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
Gozychuks: I have abt 100 9wks old broilers. I am rationing feed for them to get to Dec. Hope its feasible they eat abt 75kg to 100kg of feed(grower) per week hope am not making a mistake.
what u re about doing is like throwing your hard earned money inside the lagoon and that's exactly wot it is because ur broilers don't just continue grown till eternity any feed given to broilers after 12 weeks is a big waste of resources because at ds level the broiler converts feeds into fats and hence a low return on your investment .so I advise that u sell off the birds and stock another fo december

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
Tmex: what u re about doing is like throwing your hard earned money inside the lagoon and that's exactly wot it is because ur broilers don't just continue grown till eternity any feed given to broilers after 12 weeks is a big waste of resources because at ds level the broiler converts feeds into fats and hence a low return on your investment .so I advise that u sell off the birds and stock another fo december

@Gozychuks, Just running the numbers starting from today on the about 100kg feed/week, you would have spent about N100,000 on your 100 birds just on feeds by the second week of December, And that will mean an addition N1,000 expense per bird, my question now is that how much are you going to sell the bird to cover your cost and who is going to buy?
If you stock a new day old this week, you will still have fully grown 2.5kg or 3kg by december. So are you making a mistake? Yes you are making a big mistake which could discourage you or those around you from going into this business. As far as I am concern, if your birds stay more than 8 weeks, in your care, diminishing return will set in.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Idango:

Thank you, I got 3 pots at Ajah market yesterday at N1200 each and some coal, we used it in conjunction with heat from light bulb last night, seems to be working.
Thank you again.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
My day olds came in yesterday, give then v-mix and mixed it in their water, that is all they are getting for medication. and we will see how they turn out in 7 weeks. We got 500 birds If everything works out, they will be between 2.5kg and 3 kg by the 7th week. I will post pix as internet allows.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 8:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
obnelly:
Profit should be the second thing ,first is your interest ,do you like eggs or meat.Both are profitable but you must do your marketing right.Livestock isnt a paper thing its purely practical.
Any business that bring Money has my attention, all I really need do is add LEVERAGE on the long run. Cheers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
fnk: My day olds came in yesterday, give then v-mix and mixed it in their water, that is all they are getting for medication. and we will see how they turn out in 7 weeks. We got 500 birds If everything works out, they will be between 2.5kg and 3 kg by the 7th week. I will post pix as internet allows.
I gave mine 3 days vitalite + glucose, and 3 days admacine + glucose for the first 30 days. All the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
leverage12: I gave mine 3 days vitalite + glucose, and 3 days admacine + glucose for the first 30 days. All the best

Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbeybanks(m): 5:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hi everyone, plz how often is it recommended to change woodshavings? i normally change mine every 3days, the chickz are 3weekz and 2 days. i ran into someone today the person recommends i allow the woodshavings to stay for over 2 weeks even as maggot starts coming out from their droppings and the chicks eating them provided its not wet.

I came across this thread about august 22nd 2013 and i took my time to go through comments by NLders. so i will appreciate y'all advice n commentz

thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.