Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,335 members, 7,954,360 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:31 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (982242 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Dumas32(m): 7:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MyHiDsDaar: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2013
ade101: This thread is going down.Everytime i recieved an update that there is a new post,i dont even bother to read because i can easily guess that its another dude asking FNK about a poultry report.Honestly there is nothing in that report,the only special addition is the 'virushield solution' used,and as long as FNK didnt want to share the info regarding how to get virushield (i am convinced that is not the real name of the solution),i dont think asking for the report should be the major purpose of this thread existence.I am not saying that Fnk should share his secret,I fully understand that it would be a competitive advantage for him when he finally decided to go into the world of poultry.Anyway,my chicks are now in their 5th week,i bought 100 doc only 1 mortality was recorded so far.I may not be as experienced as many in this biz,but I am conviced that the secret to reducing mortality to minimum is to obey simple rule of hygiene,have passion for the chicks and do not procrastinate.I replace the bedding material every week to ensure that micro-organism doesnt have enough time to infect my chicks.I try my best not to allow water to pour on the flour so as to keep the bedding material (saw dust ) dry.I wash their drinkers everytime i refill it with clean water.I used tap water and only started using well water after they were about 4weeks old,by then i believed they have developed immunity against most diseases.Finally,i ensured that i gave them every medication as directed by my instructor.The medication schedule is as follow:
I bought AMINTOTAL,PANTERYL & PANTACOX.
Amintotal is a multivatamine that can help to give them strenght agaist body weakness and is usefull when the chicks have been stressed.Stress may be due to transportation,heat & change in feed.
PANTERYL & PANTACOX are preventive and treatment drugs for a lot of poultry diseases(the diseases are many and are stated on each drug cover sachet).
So for the first five days ,i keep adding a teaspoon of both pantery and amintotal to their drinking water.Then i stoped for 3 days and on the 8th day,i gave them gomboro vacine.from 9th day to 16th day,i added pantacox and amintotal to their drinking water after which i stoped for another 3 days,then gave them lasota vacine.Thats all.I believed anyone should be able to raise a healthy chicken if appropriate procedure is observed.The koko is the market.Guys,broiler market is really competitive.I am thinking about going out very soon to market them(probably tomorow).Also i dont even know how they are priced.Well,i hope the price worth the money they consumed(still consuming lol).Those guys eat like glutton.Infact there was a time i got scared thinking they may die due to excess food.Alas! They are still getting fat.I will be sticking around to learn more on thread.Gud work guys.
@ ade i realllly love your contribution , u not only explained broiler production, u went ahead to hit the nail on the head, please if dont mind could u provide me a detailed guideline u used to achjeve this success, i intend starting with a hundred bird thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2013
http://animalfarminc.com is a place begginners who wants to start farming needs to visit
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 12:24am On Oct 25, 2013
Idango: mu broilers at 4 weeks
[img][/img]
pls I needed to get market for my broilers in about 2 wks tym can u be of help?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 12:32am On Oct 25, 2013
eugeneric: help guys. my broilers are 8 weeks old an I just discovered they Hv been dying daily. my investigation shows they have watery faeces. what can I give to normalize the faeces
if u re formulating ur feed then it may be due to excessive GNC in ur feed,try to reduce the gnc and see what happens
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
How Bright Biogas System Work

Bright Biogas Make Use Of A Relatively Simple, Well-Known, And Mature Technology. A Biogas System Comprises A Large Tank, Or Digester. Inside The Tank, Bacteria Work Symbiotically To Convert Organic Waste Into Methane Gas Through The Process Of Anaerobic Digestion.

Every Day, The User Of A Bright Biogas Feed The Bacteria Inside The Digester With Household By-Products Such As Market Waste, Kitchen Waste, And Manure From Livestock.

The Methane Gas Produced By The Bacteria Inside Bright Biogas Can Be Used For Cooking, Lighting, And Other Energy Needs.

Waste That Has Been Fully Digested Exits The Bright Biogas In The Form Of Organic Fertiliser And Is Good For Fish Meal

1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bowofola213: 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
Plz wich drug can i use 2 make my broiler 2 be big
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
Tmex: pls I needed to get market for my broilers in about 2 wks tym can u be of help?

My brother, i m also looking around for market for my broilers that will be ready by 3rd week of november. Now i realise why most farmers only breed broilers and cockerels for festival periods, but i want to be able to sell broilers every month and make it a regular income source . From what i have learnt, the options available to you to sell your broilers are:

1. Sell to chicken processors who processes and sell to fast foods. Their price is very ridiculous , i called two of them in Lagos ( i search for them on the internet) and they said they buy live chickens at N400 per Kg. so if you have a 3 kg broiler, you can only get N1200 from it. That price is most likely below you cost of raising you broiler to 3 kg. The only way you can make profit if you sell to chicken processors is to be able to keep your total cost raising a 3 kg bird below N1000.

2. Another option is to wait for xmas when demand for chicken is high and sell at about N2000, N2,500 03 N3000
3. Visit local bukas and hotel who may not buy from chicken processors and get better prices.
4. Talk to chicken sellers in the market.

The most reliable and everready buyers should have been the processors if not for the price.

Please my people if any body know other profitable way of selling my broilers, please share.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
U re quite right , a processor I saw in ibadan is also offering to buy at 380/kg wch is quite ridiculous
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bestofralph(m): 6:04am On Oct 27, 2013
As an agricultural economist, i have come to realize that the fortune in agricultural production is in the processing which is/or among the final stages of the production process..... The finished product costs more and thats why the middlemen i.e. the processors tend to profit more than the farmers who are actually the producers. I have told my self already that before i go into broiler production, i'll first learn all about the processing. If i can raise a bird for 10weeks, processing it in a few minutes shouldn't be a problem.... It won't cost me more than i lose to those middlemen. Thats wen i would be sure i'm into fulltime broiler production and not ''broiler feeding''. Lol... So why not finish what you started by processing the birds you raised and then sell to the final consumers..... They pay more!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MyHiDsDaar: 7:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
@fnk oga please ooo I am still waiting for the poultry analysis report
@ all guys abeg those of you that have the report in their email can still assist by forwarding it to me I really need it , email is chukwumeka.
higlander@gmail.com thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 10:58am On Oct 29, 2013
Didn't know I'd achieve 2.5kg at 7 weeks. These ones will big pass malu by december. Gotta start selling. Broilers for sale! Dont come here with one f**king N400/kg I will break your head ni o, lol.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
MyHiDsDaar: @fnk oga please ooo I am still waiting for the poultry analysis report
@ all guys abeg those of you that have the report in their email can still assist by forwarding it to me I really need it , email is chukwumeka.
higlander@gmail.com thank you
Done
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
Idango:

My brother, i m also looking around for market for my broilers that will be ready by 3rd week of november. Now i realise why most farmers only breed broilers and cockerels for festival periods, but i want to be able to sell broilers every month and make it a regular income source . From what i have learnt, the options available to you to sell your broilers are:

1. Sell to chicken processors who processes and sell to fast foods. Their price is very ridiculous , i called two of them in Lagos ( i search for them on the internet) and they said they buy live chickens at N400 per Kg. so if you have a 3 kg broiler, you can only get N1200 from it. That price is most likely below you cost of raising you broiler to 3 kg. The only way you can make profit if you sell to chicken processors is to be able to keep your total cost raising a 3 kg bird below N1000.

2. Another option is to wait for xmas when demand for chicken is high and sell at about N2000, N2,500 03 N3000
3. Visit local bukas and hotel who may not buy from chicken processors and get better prices.
4. Talk to chicken sellers in the market.

The most reliable and everready buyers should have been the processors if not for the price.

Please my people if any body know other profitable way of selling my broilers, please share.
bro you are right, it like that here too.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by injector1: 10:47am On Oct 30, 2013
what is the solution to Newcastle disease and gumboro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 7:26pm On Oct 31, 2013
Someone pls help ,it rained on my poultry feed on my way back from the feedmill and they are partially wet I don't know wot to do to prevent them from moulds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omobabe1(m): 3:50am On Nov 01, 2013
pls where can i buy egg in larg quantity?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:15am On Nov 01, 2013
Tmex: Someone pls help ,it rained on my poultry feed on my way back from the feedmill and they are partially wet I don't know wot to do to prevent them from moulds.

dry it heavily under the sun and out them in an airy place
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:16am On Nov 01, 2013
omo babe: pls where can i buy egg in larg quantity?

where is your location?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AMONIBIA(m): 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
I have a four and a half plot of land and i want to go into poultry farming. I wish to raise 6000 layers. As a newbie how do i start? I will apprciate any advice from you guys.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 1:25am On Nov 04, 2013
BRIGHTSOLAR: How Bright Biogas System Work

Bright Biogas Make Use Of A Relatively Simple, Well-Known, And Mature Technology. A Biogas System Comprises A Large Tank, Or Digester. Inside The Tank, Bacteria Work Symbiotically To Convert Organic Waste Into Methane Gas Through The Process Of Anaerobic Digestion.

Every Day, The User Of A Bright Biogas Feed The Bacteria Inside The Digester With Household By-Products Such As Market Waste, Kitchen Waste, And Manure From Livestock.

The Methane Gas Produced By The Bacteria Inside Bright Biogas Can Be Used For Cooking, Lighting, And Other Energy Needs.

Waste That Has Been Fully Digested Exits The Bright Biogas In The Form Of Organic Fertiliser And Is Good For Fish Meal
How much is it?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 6:43am On Nov 04, 2013
My broilers have lice what do I do
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 10:43am On Nov 04, 2013
AMONIBIA: I have a four and a half plot of land and i want to go into poultry farming. I wish to raise 6000 layers. As a newbie how do i start? I will apprciate any advice from you guys.
Go through this thread from page 1 to this current page, you will get all the info you need to get started.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:00am On Nov 04, 2013
Guys, about 5 weeks ago, I started my first inflow of day old, we build a house that can hold about 5,000 birds and cornered one section for the day old. Now for your learning, never play with the heating on the day old from their first week to even their 3rd week, we didn't cover the very well the place that we kept the day old. So out of 500 day old birds, they died in droves from the cold that happened a few days from when we got them, so we have only 96 left. Now for me it was still experimental because my major thing is the use of V-mix for the bird and use no any medication what so ever. Now out of all the dead bird, none died from illness just the cold, so mitigating the cold in our next run, we will do very well. So, last week Monday the remaining birds turned 4 weeks and most of them weighed 2kg and today is their 5th week and some of them are already 2.5kg.
In the next couple weeks we will start another section, we have created a good covering/heating compartment for up to 2,000 day old but we will bring them in interval of 500 birds every 2 weeks till we reach 2,000 birds in the house and then watch them grow.

So, we got something going on here guys. Any ways, Don't mess around with the heating of your day old ooo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbyode(m): 1:18am On Nov 05, 2013
@fnk...sorry to hear this.
Well, thank God you have noted the lessons learnt.
I look forward to your farm coming out successful and you are one of the reasons why i still keep a tab on this thread. Kudos to you guy!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AMONIBIA(m): 4:15am On Nov 05, 2013
@fnk: thanks a lot. I willl go through them all.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:56am On Nov 05, 2013
@FNK sorry for the loss. it was a big loss. brooding is the most difficult part of poultry.
thanks for sharing ur experience with us. God bless ur farm
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:35am On Nov 05, 2013
Thanks guys, yes it was a loss, but the truth is that I didn't feel that bad about it, because using 500 birds was a good middle way to learn what can or can not go wrong. imagine if I had started with 2000 birds as the people I bought the day old advised, I had wanted to, but I went with my gout feeling and started with 500 birds that I had in mind. So, it wasn't too little and not too much.

So, as I said in my last post, Do not compromise on heat for your day olds. I will post pix when the internet let me.

Again, thank you guys for your concern.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 12:48am On Nov 06, 2013
Sorry for the loss fnk, i m sure the value of the lesson learnt will be more than this financial loss on the long run.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 11:02am On Nov 06, 2013
Dis thread is fast using relevance u post and ask questions nobody answers or mk contributions. Could it be dat all those dat dis thread no more hv anythin to do with poultry cos they hardly mk any contributions. Save for fnk this thread is dead
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 11:03am On Nov 06, 2013
Dis thread is fast using relevance u post and ask questions nobody answers or mk contributions. Could it be dat all those dat started dis thread no more hv anythin to do with poultry cos they hardly mk any contributions. Save for fnk this thread is dead
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:31am On Nov 07, 2013
Gozychuks: Dis thread is fast using relevance u post and ask questions nobody answers or mk contributions. Could it be dat all those dat started dis thread no more hv anythin to do with poultry cos they hardly mk any contributions. Save for fnk this thread is dead

please what is your question? no vex

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.