Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,654 members, 7,823,851 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966247 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naughtylagosguy(m): 9:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
AAAJI:
They are around 1,500 plus. At the initial point it wasn't easy...I jst kept telling pple,frm where I buy my crates, to d feed mill I use, market women...etc. Right now I can't even meet up wit d demand...All Glory to God.

Wow. That's nice. I have one more question. Please do you advise one start with DOC or POL?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ojubi(m): 10:40am On Jul 21, 2014
GOOD MORNING ALL. please i need yo help ogently. my layers are 5 months today, yet non of them have droped a single egg.am so tired and divastated and discourage now. am out of cash pls someone shd tell me what to do cos am running mad. how do i stimulate them to start laying so i can have money to feed them.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 21, 2014
ojubi: GOOD MORNING ALL. please i need yo help ogently. my layers are 5 months today, yet non of them have droped a single egg.am so tired and divastated and discourage now. am out of cash pls someone shd tell me what to do cos am running mad. how do i stimulate them to start laying so i can have money to feed them.
Be patient bro. For as long as you grow them under a good farm management practice. They will soon start laying. Some take upto 6months to start.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
naughtylagosguy:

Wow. That's nice. I have one more question. Please do you advise one start with DOC or POL?

Well...it depends on a lot of factors. Some are of d opinion dat first timers shuld start wit POL cos of d stress of brooding and time it will take for d birds to start laying but starting from DOC actually helped me to understand d field better...it opened me to a lot of experience. For DOC u hav to hav enough captial for medications,vaccinations and feeding till about 18-24weeks....etc
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:18pm On Jul 21, 2014
ojubi: GOOD MORNING ALL. please i need yo help ogently. my layers are 5 months today, yet non of them have droped a single egg.am so tired and divastated and discourage now. am out of cash pls someone shd tell me what to do cos am running mad. how do i stimulate them to start laying so i can have money to feed them.

easy bro. They will soon start. Increase the day light to 16hours. Also gradually introduce layers feed to them.5 months is enough to gain the required body weight unless you did not take care of them during the 18wks of brooding and rearing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 12:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
Pls do come back and update the forum when they eventually drop. Just keep pushing d golden eggs will soon start rolling....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ultrazone(m): 12:41am On Jul 23, 2014
If you need to empower yourself in fish and poultry farming free, I suggest you take a look at my signature.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 5:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
Hi
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
@nwogbe, aw do u feed them? What quantity of feed do u gv to dem per day? Do u notice any physical dvpt in the flock.eg redness of d comb, face and wattle, Roundness of the back? Wats d average wgt of the flock?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sorry @ojubi
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 9:51am On Jul 24, 2014
Rzq4: Sorry @ojubi
Ok
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:04am On Jul 24, 2014
cmax16:

Hey @fnk. Been following this thread with keen interest. Kindly help with the contact details of the person who can help build a processing plant. email is ailevbare@yahoo.com thumbs up!

Sorry I have been super busy with other things that I haven't come here for a few days. Well my processing house is almost done just waiting to paint the place and get someone equipments to get it going.
That said, I don't think it is a big deal to build a processing house o slaughter house, just make sure the inside is tiled (White) and you have good derange, because you will be using a lot of water in there. Now the important things about a processing house are the equipment you put there. i.e: your kill center, soaking center, de-feathering center, cut and dress table, chilling tubs, and weight & packaging/labeling center. Then you need storage i.e: cold room or freezers for temporary storage before shipping them out to your customers or your own retail centers. So, based of these centers, you can measure and build a room that can hold all these centers and you will be good to go. (don't freak out about all these centers I mentioned, they are not like huge spaces ooo)
Good luck.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:10am On Jul 24, 2014
obnelly: Concerning the odour coming from poultry facilities in the neighbourhood I have a proven technology that can solve that.I have done for couple of farmers and I have an experimental farm for people who may be interested to see and smell with their noses.

I am still queuing up for this odor elimination system, though I am only focusing on broilers at the moment but I will like to also go into layers, but why I haven't done it is the odor palaver, I have enough space on my land to do layers, but my concern is that I don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors, so with this system and if it works, I won't have to go buy another land in the boonies somewhere just to do layers. So I will get with you as time goes on to inspect experimental farm you talked about and we go from there.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:36pm On Jul 24, 2014
fnk:

I am still queuing up for this odor elimination system, though I am only focusing on broilers at the moment but I will like to also go into layers, but why I haven't done it is the odor palaver, I have enough space on my land to do layers, but my concern is that I don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors, so with this system and if it works, I won't have to go buy another land in the boonies somewhere just to do layers. So I will get with you as time goes on to inspect experimental farm you talked about and we go from there.
my brother, the odour is something else especially when you are using battery cage. Am thinking of how to handle the waste in my farm. Its a big challenge for us. We pack the litter every 2 days but no where to dispose them. I wish there is a solution to this because I have neighbours around.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 24, 2014
jamp:
my brother, the odour is something else especially when you are using battery cage. Am thinking of how to handle the waste in my farm. Its a big challenge for us. We pack the litter every 2 days but no where to dispose them. I wish there is a solution to this because I have neighbours around.
Look for crop farmers and be selling to them at a giveaway price. They will surely finish up ur litter completely.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:19am On Jul 25, 2014
agonbello: Look for crop farmers and be selling to them at a giveaway price. They will surely finish up ur litter completely.

the crop farmers are always looking for dry litter and with the battery cage my litter is always wet. at a point we resorted to digging hole for the litter but how many holes can we do in our samll farm. its giving me headache. and too much litter is bad for the birds because of high nitrogen content.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 25, 2014
jamp:

the crop farmers are always looking for dry litter and with the battery cage my litter is always wet. at a point we resorted to digging hole for the litter but how many holes can we do in our samll farm. its giving me headache. and too much litter is bad for the birds because of high nitrogen content.
Ok. Then try and source for a solar dryer, create a space for it and be drying your litter with it.

A simple solar dryer is like a glass, it converts solar energy do heat energy. You install it like a shade and place what ever u want to dry under it. With the presence oof the sun, it will dry ur litter completely in less than 5hours.

Note that its an additional investment, u spend money (am not sure how much) in procuring and installing the dryer, and you get additional revenue from selling the dried litter.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
agonbello: Ok. Then try and source for a solar dryer, create a space for it and be drying your litter with it.
A simple solar dryer is like a glass, it converts solar energy do heat energy. You install it like a shade and place what ever u want to dry under it. With the presence oof the sun, it will dry ur litter completely in less than 5hours.
Note that its an additional investment, u spend money (am not sure how much) in procuring and installing the dryer, and you get additional revenue from selling the dried litter.
Hope this helps.

thanks bro. you have a point. i will look for ways of drying the litter. thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 25, 2014
jamp:

thanks bro. you have a point. i will look for ways of drying the litter. thank you.
Ma pleasure
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
please fellow farmer, do you know if rice bran can be substituted for wheat oval in compounding poultry feed.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 9:52pm On Jul 25, 2014
samuel25: please fellow farmer, do you know if rice bran can be substituted for wheat oval in compounding poultry feed.
yp, you can but shouldn't be used in formulating broiler feed
sha
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 9:31pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hello house, plz approximately how much money will be required to feed 250 Day Old Layers till abt 5months when dey start laying?
Plz i really need ur opinion on this.
Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 1:47am On Jul 27, 2014
Belexy: Hello house, plz approximately how much money will be required to feed 250 Day Old Layers till abt 5months when dey start laying?
Plz i really need ur opinion on this.
Thanks.
It takes about 800-1000 to rear a birds till it start laying and this depend on some factors like type of feed , doctor and the vaccines .
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 10:19am On Jul 27, 2014
Ojubi how far as per your birds? Have they improved on their laying? When last did u deworm them? Pls kindly update the huz.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 12:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
jamp:
It takes about 800-1000 to rear a birds till it start laying and this depend on some factors like type of feed , doctor and the vaccines .

Thanks smiley
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by souladot(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2014
Wow! I just finished 65 pages of an interesting, highly educative (and fun-poking) blog, after many days. The journey from page 1 till now has been worth it.Hindsight never knew what she started 3 years ago would stay active this long. Thank goodness for tough guys like basking4me, fnk, jamp, valrinz . . ., and now this penmight guy for keeping this thread alive and active.
I've been infused with the right momentum to start, courtesy of u guys. I can say I've studied poultry business for free from this blog. I already know my startup cost and the profit to expect (all things being equal). U guys are blessed for the selfless service.

I'll be starting in some months' time with 1500 POL and 500 Broilers. I'm still open to more knowledge. Fnk, jamp and others, kindly forward those reports to my mail (and yes, even though it's 2011). souladot@ymail.com Thanks y'all

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 3:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
@souladot, welcome to the club. Poultry biz is not easy.make sure u have a vet on ground.

Make sure the vet has a farm or work for a good farm. Dont take a vet that stay always in his office/shop

You MUST have PASSION for this biz else nothing for you.

I wish you success as you start.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 4:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
souladot: Wow! I just finished 65 pages of an interesting, highly educative (and fun-poking) blog, after many days. The journey from page 1 till now has been worth it.Hindsight never knew what she started 3 years ago would stay active this long. Thank goodness for tough guys like basking4me, fnk, jamp, valrinz . . ., and now this penmight guy for keeping this thread alive and active.
I've been infused with the right momentum to start, courtesy of u guys. I can say I've studied poultry business for free from this blog. I already know my startup cost and the profit to expect (all things being equal). U guys are blessed for the selfless service.

I'll be starting in some months' time with 1500 POL and 500 Broilers. I'm still open to more knowledge. Fnk, jamp and others, kindly forward those reports to my mail (and yes, even though it's 2011). souladot@ymail.com Thanks y'all

For your locally assembled galvanized battery cages with nipple drinkers and top grade point of lay birds, feel free to reach out to Hola Ologe Integrated Farms via hola-ologe@hotmail.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 8:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
@soluadot, thanks for the acknowledgedment and more grease to your elbow as you embark on this interesting journey.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by souladot(m): 12:10am On Jul 29, 2014
Thanks guys. I'm expecting ur reports pls. souladot@ymail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jedisco(m): 2:24am On Jul 29, 2014
Wow!
I finished reading the whole thread yesterday and I must say kudos to you all.

I hope to start a poultry soon but there are two things I would like to ask.

1. What is the farm price of eggs? The per kg price of the meat was hammered on from page one but I haven't seen anything about the eggs. So farmers, how much do you sell your eggs?

2. I know this may not be strictly poultry, but I believe some people here may also have fish farms. So please, between fish farming and poultry, which is more profitable?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:38am On Jul 29, 2014
@jedisco, the cost of egg differs from one location to another. In enugu some farmers sell egg for 500 while some sell 600. In jos you get a different price too.in Abuja farmers sell eggs for 600/650

As for ur second question; which of them do you have passion for? For me the two are profitable so let your passion be the determining factor .

Cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.