Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963798 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 6:24pm On Jul 17, 2014
igbonla:

I think the other type is actually better, it cost more and is additional work to construct for carpenters. It keeps the wind and rainwater in check better than the type you have and also provides better air circulation.
You may want to investigate this for future consideration, you are doing an awesome job/investment with the farm.

Plz sir Can u post pictures of the roof design so dat we can learn?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 8:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
icepoint: I really want to appreciate all d poultry farmers in d house, I did not really have the luxury of time to religiously follow all post .
I have a challenge earlier, I ventured into poultry farm with no knowledge of how it is done, hence I entrust the farm to a manager. We raised 300 birds (250 broilers and 50 cockrels). All went well until week 4-5 when they started dying en-mass, at the end of the day we were left with 15 cockrels and 120 broilers with less than 2kg weight for the big ones and are stunted. Pls advice cos I want bring in 300 DOC now that I have d time cos I love farming .

My brother judging from the age of the birds and the percentage mortality I can tell you I'm 95% sure what you suffered was gumboro vaccine failure and you're bound to have a lot of stunted and crippled birds from the ones that survived.

Next time make sure you buy your vaccines from a more reputable source and apply the correct dosage while administering. Also discontinue all antibiotics or medications two days before and after vaccination, also do not stress or move the birds during that period.

Litter quality is not a cause of gumboro vaccine failure though its advisable to maintain good litter quality to avoid coccidiosis.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 8:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
@valarinz tanx a lot.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 9:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
I quite agree with you sir. I am still a neophyte and i have learnt some bitter lessons.I could have taken some better decisions if i had been more exposed.
Definitely, the morrow holds better decison making.

Best wishes to u too.
igbonla:

I think the other type is actually better, it cost more and is additional work to construct for carpenters. It keeps the wind and rainwater in check better than the type you have and also provides better air circulation.
You may want to investigate this for future consideration, you are doing an awesome job/investment with the farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
icepoint: I really want to appreciate all d poultry farmers in d house, I did not really have the luxury of time to religiously follow all post .
I have a challenge earlier, I ventured into poultry farm with no knowledge of how it is done, hence I entrust the farm to a manager. We raised 300 birds (250 broilers and 50 cockrels). All went well until week 4-5 when they started dying en-mass, at the end of the day we were left with 15 cockrels and 120 broilers with less than 2kg weight for the big ones and are stunted. Pls advice cos I want bring in 300 DOC now that I have d time cos I love farming .
Wot was the symptoms?
It is not good to bring in new birds now. Dispose the old birds, disinfect the pen floor and walls with 5% phenol solutn or any other strong disinfectant. Wait for 2wks b4 bringing another batch.
B4 u bring another batch though, go and get advice first frm a good farmer.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 5:43am On Jul 18, 2014
@farmtech , I will do that. I have gotten a buyer now.
Tanx a lot.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cmax16: 6:31am On Jul 18, 2014
fnk: I can give you a number of someone you can call and they can build one for you. I am about doing that in my farm as well.

Hey @fnk. Been following this thread with keen interest. Kindly help with the contact details of the person who can help build a processing plant. email is ailevbare@yahoo.com thumbs up!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 9:59am On Jul 18, 2014
Hello fellow farmers, I noticed a funny trend in my layers, anytime we give them multi-vitamins like Vitalyte their production drops,once we stop giving dem production goes back to normal. Any ideas as to d cause of this?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obagoriola: 10:23am On Jul 18, 2014
Am just a Turkey farmer. For your 2 weeks old, 4 weeks Old, and 5 weeks old turkey. CALL 07035286657
My farm is in Ota
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2014
obagoriola: Am just a Turkey farmer. For your 2 weeks old, 4 weeks Old, and 5 weeks old turkey. CALL 07035286657
My farm is in Ota

Mention your price and breed sir. It will be more catchy
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
The birds at 4weeks. Please is there growth ok or stunted?

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 10:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
PENMIGHT: The birds at 4weeks. Please is there growth ok or stunted?
It looks okay. Well done

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 10:53pm On Jul 18, 2014
The feed mill under construction

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 10:58pm On Jul 18, 2014
Thanks bro.
femu:
It looks okay. Well done
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 11:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
PENMIGHT: The feed mill under construction

Hope you have budgeted for a digital scale and weight bridge.
Also dont forget to create space for trailers to move around
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 11:18pm On Jul 18, 2014
I cant afford a weighing bridge for now but will surely need a digital scale. I ve not been able to get a place where it is sold in Ibadan and for how much. Please kindly help? There is enough clearance for driveway and manouvering for trailer.
femu:

Hope you have budgeted for a digital scale and weight bridge.
Also dont forget to create space for trailers to move around
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 11:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
The Generator waiting to be installed.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 10:59am On Jul 19, 2014
PENMIGHT: The Generator waiting to be installed.
penmight I love your over passion! Keep it up. Will get there soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 1:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
Nwogbe, thanks and God bless.
Nwogbe:
penmight I love your over passion! Keep it up. Will get there soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2014
PENMIGHT: I cant afford a weighing bridge for now but will surely need a digital scale. I ve not been able to get a place where it is sold in Ibadan and for how much. Please kindly help? There is enough clearance for driveway and manouvering for trailer.
Is your farm in Ibadan. I love your passion. try Adam at old life road for the scale. where are u in Ibadan.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 6:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
Thank you so much for this information, it is quite useful. I will check this place out soon, God willing. My farm is located at Ile-Igbon, Lagelu local govt. Do you have a farm too in Ibadan.
condi1704: Is your farm in Ibadan. I love your passion. try Adam at old life road for the scale. where are u in Ibadan.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 7:35pm On Jul 19, 2014
I salute the farmers in the house for the good job you are doing here, may God rewards you accordingly. Please does anyone know if Broiler that has gain weight very well at 8 weeks reduce the weight if they don't eat well or eat good Broiler ration due to shortage of fund and lack of market.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 19, 2014
samuel25: I salute the farmers in the house for the good job you are doing here, may God rewards you accordingly. Please does anyone know if Broiler that has gain weight very well at 8 weeks reduce the weight if they don't eat well or eat good Broiler ration due to shortage of fund and lack of market.
Why not slaughter, dress and freeze the broilers?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naughtylagosguy(m): 9:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
PENMIGHT: Confusion normally preceeds conviction and most successful people have once experienced sleeplessness like this. Prosperity is close to a man who learns from the strenght and weaknesses of others. So, normally u should succed where i have faltered. Such is life!

There is a secret that must be told. No amount of land is sufficient for a farmer. You can only start somewhere. Here is a fact:

Most sizeable pen will almost occupy a whole plot of land. I am an architect and this is gospel.
So if u plan to start with a pen of about 3000 to 4000 in cage eventually, u need at least 2 plots of land. A plot for pen and other services squeezed into the other. However, the bigger the better.

I dont know of Ilorin o, but I am sure u will do better leaving the city for the bush or outskirt if u are prepared for this journey.
I am a native of Ibadan but I reside in Abuja with my family. Infact, I am writing from abuja ,however, i believed in doing the best and i moved to ibadan. Not even the core, but d outskirt of Ibadan. Ibadan is the center of Poultry biz in the whole of southwest.

So bro, if u must stay in Ilorin , find a place where building dev will not reach in about 5 years minimum.

This is important so that the resident will not frustrate u into untimely relocation. Protect and insure ur investment.....head for the bush, plsssss.

Thank you very much for this advise. I really appreciate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 10:36pm On Jul 19, 2014
Welcome bro.
naughtylagosguy:

Thank you very much for this advise. I really appreciate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 2:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
PENMIGHT: Thank you so much for this information, it is quite useful. I will check this place out soon, God willing. My farm is located at Ile-Igbon, Lagelu local govt. Do you have a farm too in Ibadan.

Wooo! U are @ ile-igbon, we are neigbhours then. U can send me a mail on...acaayo@gmail.com,we can share ideas. Am into commercial layers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naughtylagosguy(m): 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2014
Please what is the capacity of your farm and how do you market your eggs?

AAAJI:

Wooo! U are @ ile-igbon, we are neigbhours then. U can send me a mail on...acaayo@gmail.com,we can share ideas. Am into commercial layers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bstringz(m): 4:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
Pls Bethen farms in agric have Big size turkeys to up for sale come,october to december periods.They are very affordable.You can contact us through this email.Bethelchika19@gmail.com,07036021581.797af1ff.thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2014
Oga, na me and u go share ideas?. Na for me to just carry notebook come ur farm come take tutorial!
I am at Ile igbon o. I will mail you sir so that we can plan on when the class will start. I am so delighted. Thanks bro.
AAAJI:

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 7:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
naughtylagosguy: Please what is the capacity of your farm and how do you market your eggs?

They are around 1,500 plus. At the initial point it wasn't easy...I jst kept telling pple,frm where I buy my crates, to d feed mill I use, market women...etc. Right now I can't even meet up wit d demand...All Glory to God.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 7:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
PENMIGHT: Oga, na me and u go share ideas?. Na for me to just carry notebook come ur farm come take tutorial!
I am at Ile igbon o. I will mail you sir so that we can plan on when the class will start. I am so delighted. Thanks bro.

Lol...am not a pro myself but no wahala...will be expecting ur mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.