Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,092 members, 7,811,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963735 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2014
@ Penmight

I admire your speed and courage...you definitely have a big setup in mind. Am sure you must have practiced poultry before or have some big poultry mentors to guide you. Your next set of expenses will definitely be poultry cages and a store to keep tons of maize and soya.
I have about 9000 birds now and currently outsourcing my milling, I intend to self-mill only when i can utilise a trailer of maize and soya in 5 weeks
I hope a financially committed stakeholder will be managing it all on your behalf. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 10:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
Hope everyone is enjoying the current drop in maize price? if you are don't know how to formulate and mill you are currently losing big time!!!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:35pm On Jul 15, 2014
femu: @ Penmight

I admire your speed and courage...you definitely have a big setup in mind. Am sure you must have practiced poultry before or have some big poultry mentors to guide you. Your next set of expenses will definitely be poultry cages and a store to keep tons of maize and soya.
I have about 9000 birds now and currently outsourcing my milling, I intend to self-mill only when i can utilise a trailer of maize and soya in 5 weeks
I hope a financially committed stakeholder will be managing it all on your behalf. Goodluck
9000 birds...how do u handle the litter? Thats a big challenge for me now.i have more than 1k birds and the litter we remove every 2days is much. I wanted to use Obnelly idea of converting the litter to energy or gas but we are still in the temporary site. I need help as how to handle the litter.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
The litter is definitely an issue. I sell to farmers and I use some of it to feed my pigs, majority is evacuated into the surrounding bush.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
Yemi...au far nau?i need ask u sm questions..pls send ur number to omoteemac@gmail.com
yemmit90:

I don't know why the picture refuse to upload here o. The picture shows a bird on the scale.

Their average weight range between 700g-1kg at 22days today.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 11:34pm On Jul 15, 2014
It wasnt hard for you to decipher many things about me and d farm just by mere reading my post. U were very, very right about the mentor part. A friend i refered to earlier has been more than a mentor. He has been into poultry for a long time and i needed no extra tutelage having him around me. Everything i ve done, step by step, was supervised by him. He gave his all.

Just like u, his bird should be approximately 12k. What else do i need, my brother. My finances fluctuates and my friend has warned me about venturing into poultry without a vivid plan of feeding them. He scared me to the marrow when i see how much his birds consumes in monetary terms.

My bro, that was why i 'hurriedly' put up d feedmill while i still had d finances. I ve paid for 1 tonnage size milling machine (430k discounted price) and i ve equally paid for the 40kva gen (450k) and both d generator and main mill houses should be finanly completed in a matter of days, God willing.
My birds are still young and ds is d time i can make hay while d sun shines. For those who think i am being uncareful of my expences at this stage, they should understand where i am heading to. All in all, the feed mill should be in the tune of 2m +.

Lest i forget, the feed mill is big in size and of good height. It can accomodate up to 2 trailers of maize and soybean combined. What else could i wish for as a starter?.

As u rightly mentioned, the cage is my next target. I want to pay for it well before the birds will be matured enough o be moved into it. I think the birds could be moved in by 12 weeks. Hope i am right sha? Please enlighten me more. I heard d cages with instalattion of nippl.es and other plumbing needs will gulp close to 1.8m. I am having headache already!!!.

Your type are motivator. I was delighted someone could read through my mind. I pray u stop outsourcing ur feed soon. More and more success to u bro.

femu: @ Penmight

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 12:12am On Jul 16, 2014
PENMIGHT: It wasnt hard for you to decipher many things about me and d farm just by mere reading my post. U were very, very right about the mentor part. A friend i refered to earlier has been more than a mentor. He has been into poultry for a long time and i needed no extra tutelage having him around me. Everything i ve done, step by step, was supervised by him. He gave his all.

Just like u, his bird should be approximately 12k. What else do i need, my brother. My finances fluctuates and my friend has warned me about venturing into poultry without a vivid plan of feeding them. He scared me to the marrow when i see how much his birds consumes in monetary terms.

My bro, that was why i 'hurriedly' put up d feedmill while i still had d finances. I ve paid for 1 tonnage size milling machine (430k discounted price) and i ve equally paid for the 40kva gen (450k) and both d generator and main mill houses should be finanly completed in a matter of days, God willing.
My birds are still young and ds is d time i can make hay while d sun shines. For those who think i am being uncareful of my expences at this stage, they should understand where i am heading to. All in all, the feed mill should be in the tune of 2m +.

Lest i forget, the feed mill is big in size and of good height. It can accomodate up to 2 trailers of maize and soybean combined. What else could i wish for as a starter?.

As u rightly mentioned, the cage is my next target. I want to pay for it well before the birds will be matured enough o be moved into it. I think the birds could be moved in by 12 weeks. Hope i am right sha? Please enlighten me more. I heard d cages with instalattion of nippl.es and other plumbing needs will gulp close to 1.8m. I am having headache already!!!.

Your type are motivator. I was delighted someone could read through my mind. I pray u stop outsourcing ur feed soon. More and more success to u bro.

Definitely at 12 weeks they should be in the cage to avoid risks of Coccidiosis. Cost of cages is definitely another factor....look for someone that can supply you on credit since you will acquire in bulk.
At this level your key challenge will be human resources.They will determine your success. Hope you have a good vet and a good manager(impossible)?
Siting far in the bush might expose you to egg glut...except you have to push your eggs to town. Some big farms do bury eggs during glut...beware!!!
My advice is just restrict yourself to this for now. let the farm grow itself from what you have invested now!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 6:54am On Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the pieces of advice. I ve no plan of expansion for now. Even if i want to, where is d finances? Though my farm is slightly remote than others, it is not outrightly isolated. Many other farms , like my friend's, is within stone throw and and they cant even keep up with the demands for eggs. Besides, i am planning on having a farm shop in town.

Please, around what time of the year is the glut period? Do u ve a cheap way of getting the cages? With ur experiences and contacts, can u please help in any way possible to solve the cage issue? I will be appreciative!
My manager has been very dedicated so far. He is young and experienced in his own little way. I am developing a brotherly relationship with him and try my best to make the package worth his effort and also make life comfortable as much as possible. He resides in d farm permanently except there is a need to leave and that must be done on permission. I also adopt some check and balances monitoring approach. So far, so good.
I also ensure vet personnel visit regularly.
The birds are doing pretty well for now. I pray disaster does not set in.
Where is ur farm, wouldnt mind visiting to learn more from ur wealth of exposure.

Thanks.

femu:

Definitely at 12 weeks they should be in the cage to avoid risks of Coccidiosis. Cost of cages is definitely another factor....look for someone that can supply you on credit since you will acquire in bulk.
At this level your key challenge will be human resources.They will determine your success. Hope you have a good vet and a good manager(impossible)?
Siting far in the bush might expose you to egg glut...except you have to push your eggs to town. Some big farms do bury eggs during glut...beware!!!
My advice is just restrict yourself to this for now. let the farm grow itself from what you have invested now!
My advice for you is to

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:59am On Jul 16, 2014
@PENMIGHT; congrats man. you are doing a great job. may God bless your efforts with success. like i always say, you need passion to succeed, so start developing the passion if you dont have it.

i bought my cages for 60k here in Abuja. but i will advice you to try and find ways of reducing cost to maximize profit.

you can contact obnelly to help convert your waste to gas for your generator since you have a big farm like that.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 10:27am On Jul 16, 2014
PENMIGHT: Thanks for the pieces of advice. I ve no plan of expansion for now. Even if i want to, where is d finances? Though my farm is slightly remote than others, it is not outrightly isolated. Many other farms , like my friend's, is within stone throw and and they cant even keep up with the demands for eggs. Besides, i am planning on having a farm shop in town.

Please, around what time of the year is the glut period? Do u ve a cheap way of getting the cages? With ur experiences and contacts, can u please help in any way possible to solve the cage issue? I will be appreciative!
My manager has been very dedicated so far. He is young and experienced in his own little way. I am developing a brotherly relationship with him and try my best to make the package worth his effort and also make life comfortable as much as possible. He resides in d farm permanently except there is a need to leave and that must be done on permission. I also adopt some check and balances monitoring approach. So far, so good.
I also ensure vet personnel visit regularly.
The birds are doing pretty well for now. I pray disaster does not set in.
Where is ur farm, wouldnt mind visiting to learn more from ur wealth of exposure.

Thanks.

I can supply you locally made layer cages at a competitive price. Cages are made of galvanized steel and equipped with nipple drinkers. You can reach out to me via femmiedot@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 10:29am On Jul 16, 2014
Hello house, plz how can someone effectively minimise or completely eliminate the smell of poultry? I intend stocking about 500 birds but i am worried about the smell affecting my neighbours.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 10:57am On Jul 16, 2014
U can please send a detailed quote for 4000 birds in 3 tiers to my mail: eclecticsdesigns@yahoo.co.uk.
Please make it a friendly cost and make the specifications very clear. The farm is at Ibadan along the road to Iwo town.
Thanks.
laposta:

I can supply you locally made layer cages at a competitive price. Cages are made of galvanized steel and equipped with nipple drinkers. You can reach out to me via femmiedot@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 11:21am On Jul 16, 2014
Belexy: Hello house, plz how can someone effectively minimise or completely eliminate the smell of poultry? I intend stocking about 500 birds but i am worried about the smell affecting my neighbours.

use a good feed enzyme and put the birds on wood shavings
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 11:39am On Jul 16, 2014
femu:

use a good feed enzyme and put the birds on wood shavings

Forgive my ignorance but this is the first time i am hearing of this.
Plz explain more on this feed enzyme and gow cheap or readily available is it?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 12:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
enzymes are feed additives, it helps the birds to digest feed better which leads to increased egg production, weight gain and less odour.
It is very cheap to use and readily available.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 12:43pm On Jul 16, 2014
femu: enzymes are feed additives, it helps the birds to digest feed better which leads to increased egg production, weight gain and less odour.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naughtylagosguy(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2014
femu: enzymes are feed additives, it helps the birds to digest feed better which leads to increased egg production, weight gain and less odour.

Please where and how can one get this feed enzymes and will it be added to the feeds or given to the birds differently. Please shed more light on the application and usage. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
It's added to the feeds when milling. You can get it from the nearest feedmill. If you are usimg finished feeds it might have already been included.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by naughtylagosguy(m): 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
femu: It's added to the feeds when milling. You can get it from the nearest feedmill. If you are usimg finished feeds it might have already been included.

Thanks. Pls which of the popular finished feeds do you think contain the feed enzyme?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 16, 2014
jamp:
9000 birds...how do u handle the litter? Thats a big challenge for me now.i have more than 1k birds and the litter we remove every 2days is much. I wanted to use Obnelly idea of converting the litter to energy or gas but we are still in the temporary site. I need help as how to handle the litter.
advertise ur litter to crop farmers. They will rush 4 it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 16, 2014
jamp:
advertise ur litter to crop farmers. They will rush 4 it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Belexy(m): 11:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
femu: It's added to the feeds when milling. You can get it from the nearest feedmill. If you are usimg finished feeds it might have already been included.

Wait oh.... but wen we used finished feed, poultry still smells alot oh. Does dat mean d feed enzyme isnt dat effective?

N.B. i dnt intend to mill my own feed.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 11:49pm On Jul 16, 2014
Belexy:

Wait oh.... but wen we used finished feed, poultry still smells alot oh. Does dat mean d feed enzyme isnt dat effective?

N.B. i dnt intend to mill my own feed.

I said it reduces not eliminates odor. Also some finished feed products might not contain enzymes.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 12:10am On Jul 17, 2014
I really want to appreciate all d poultry farmers in d house, I did not really have the luxury of time to religiously follow all post .
I have a challenge earlier, I ventured into poultry farm with no knowledge of how it is done, hence I entrust the farm to a manager. We raised 300 birds (250 broilers and 50 cockrels). All went well until week 4-5 when they started dying en-mass, at the end of the day we were left with 15 cockrels and 120 broilers with less than 2kg weight for the big ones and are stunted. Pls advice cos I want bring in 300 DOC now that I have d time cos I love farming .
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by passionatefarmer: 8:26am On Jul 17, 2014
time doesn't translate into experience. try and garner more experience to avoid a second bitter tales. gracias.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sharonbolly(f): 8:38am On Jul 17, 2014
sharonbolly: ................Yes I do

I contact the headquater for the plough and I was told that we don't have it on supply present unless U want in large quantity
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sharonbolly(f): 8:46am On Jul 17, 2014
PENMIGHT: U can please send a detailed quote for 4000 birds in 3 tiers to my mail: eclecticsdesigns@yahoo.co.uk.
Please make it a friendly cost and make the specifications very clear. The farm is at Ibadan along the road to Iwo town.
hatnks.

U can please send a detailed quote for 4000 birds in 3 tiers to my mail: eclecticsdesigns@yahoo.co.uk.
Please make it a friendly cost and make the specifications very clear..........the place is in Osun state
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by igbonla(m): 10:43am On Jul 17, 2014
PENMIGHT:
The roof u noticed is asbestors. I bought fairly used ones. Asbestors allows reduced heat into the pen. This is better for the birds than zinc or alumnium roof.

The way the roof is done also allow ease of hot air dissipation from d pen.

I meant to talk about the design of the roof, not the material.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by igbonla(m): 10:51am On Jul 17, 2014
icepoint: I really want to appreciate all d poultry farmers in d house, I did not really have the luxury of time to religiously follow all post .
I have a challenge earlier, I ventured into poultry farm with no knowledge of how it is done, hence I entrust the farm to a manager. We raised 300 birds (250 broilers and 50 cockrels). All went well until week 4-5 when they started dying en-mass, at the end of the day we were left with 15 cockrels and 120 broilers with less than 2kg weight for the big ones and are stunted. Pls advice cos I want bring in 300 DOC now that I have d time cos I love farming .

Don't bring in any DOC until you knwo what went wrong with the first attempt, management, health, housing, etc. Why did the birds died en masse? Jumping into another one without learning why you didn't do well with the first is a recipe for disaster.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 11:43am On Jul 17, 2014
@passionatefarmer
@igbonla,
Tanx for your candid advice, the last disease that caused the havoc was gomboro, and the hygienic status was poor cos the pen was cleaned once in a fourth night.
Secondly, the dealer the birds were bought from claimed he brought them from OBJ (the best according to him ) yet they experienced stunted growth .
Pls house, I want to start all over again, I need advice on how to properly go about it . I am writing from Kaduna state.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by PENMIGHT(m): 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
OH! Now, i got what u meant! The roof design is just one of the 2 options i ve seen(for poultry). The other is still a pitched roof with a somewhat raised cap to allow vents along the roof axis.
This type seems common , and perhaps better, than the one in the pics.
My carpenter prefers the one in the pics as it seems slightly cheaper and less cumbersome to maitain.

I wouldnt advice the common roof for the regular buildings

igbonla:

I meant to talk about the design of the roof, not the material.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by igbonla(m): 5:56pm On Jul 17, 2014
PENMIGHT: OH! Now, i got what u meant! The roof design is just one of the 2 options i ve seen(for poultry). The other is still a pitched roof with a somewhat raised cap to allow vents along the roof axis.
This type seems common , and perhaps better, than the one in the pics.
My carpenter prefers the one in the pics as it seems slightly cheaper and less cumbersome to maitain.

I wouldnt advice the common roof for the regular buildings

I think the other type is actually better, it cost more and is additional work to construct for carpenters. It keeps the wind and rainwater in check better than the type you have and also provides better air circulation.
You may want to investigate this for future consideration, you are doing an awesome job/investment with the farm.

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.