Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? (11747 Views)

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / 10-man Nairaland Football Team Hold Yaba Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by folik121: 9:59am On Feb 25, 2021
Chelsea, because of dominants of blacks players then
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 25, 2021
Birminghamvirgo:

and what happens by the time he retires?
I retire too tongue

1 Like

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Frankwest77(m): 10:00am On Feb 25, 2021
For me, it was the constant bashing here and there that the club received.The name calling and insults rained on them on a daily made me decide to be a fan.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Tech592(m): 10:00am On Feb 25, 2021
Ronaldo
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:01am On Feb 25, 2021
I support FC Barcelona because of its philosophy - Cruyffism.
They once played football with artistry
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Lastbornomomama(m): 10:02am On Feb 25, 2021
Dreyton36:
Mine ...

I'm a proud Manchester United fan

I started supporting Manchester United in the year 2003 due to my love for Van Nistelrooy who was brought in with the sum of £19M during that time .

Let's see yours this should be fun
And Mods oya do the needful make I no too para kiss
Lights up my kpoli in peace

United for life am a bold man u fans. Right from Sir Alex,
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Iamgrey5(m): 10:04am On Feb 25, 2021
I started supporting Arsenal because of Henry and the Arsenal playing style of those days.

Arsenal starting line up included the likes of

Layman

Campbell

Lauren

Kolo Toure

Gilberto Silva

Viera

Pires

BecKhamp

Lunburg

Henry.

later Ebue, Cilichy, Reyes, Fabregas, Edmilson and Adebayor(Aka baby Kanu), Van Pe pe, Sagna, Almunia etc.

Special shout out to Hleb the best dripper in Arsenal history.

I watched the First arsenal game live in 2002.

It is almost 19 years now.

I stopped following Arsenal passionately about two to three years ago. Lol.

1 Like

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Dagrace01(m): 10:07am On Feb 25, 2021
Growing up I've loved Kanu for years based on his performance for super eagles and that made me to have interest in watching him in Arsenal highlights on NTA, those years satellite and cable TVs were not that popular..
But on a certain day in 2002, DStv viewing center was already in my street in Alimosho Lagos, we've started watching matches but I've not picked a team to support. Though, area broses were luring me and my friends to join their favorite teams, at a point I considered Real Madrid, but on this day Silvain Wiltord scored a lovely goal to give Arsenal a victory over man utd, and that victory gave Arsenal the league, seeing Kanu, Henry, Pires, Vieira and the likes celebrating stole my heart.. At that point I fell in love with Arsenal and started craving for their matches. Subsequently, Thierry Henry made me to be stucked with this team, my love for him became immeasurable, he made me not to look elsewhere searching for another team to support, his speed, brilliance and consistency is second to none, I try to emulate him on the field of play, bought an Arsenal jersey of 2002\03 from Katangua with Henry's name on it, I even earned the nickname Henry, till today some few people don't know, forgot or don't care to call me my real name..
And the rest they say is history!
#ProudlyaGunner
#Coyg

4 Likes

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Pele10: 10:08am On Feb 25, 2021
I support my lovely west bromwich albion from the year sign my best player OSAZIE ODEWINGIE.I cried the last time we were relegated.thank God we are back in the EPL.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Ndubuisiogbonn8: 10:10am On Feb 25, 2021
Arsenal cos of their performance in Champions league in 2006 reaching final but was stopped by Barca which became my favorite club in Laliga.
But my best of all is Arsenal.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by hadedayor10(m): 10:10am On Feb 25, 2021
For the love of Wayne Mark Rooney i started supporting the famous Red devil MUFC
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Stfe(m): 10:11am On Feb 25, 2021
Mine was during U20 world cup in Netherland.When I saw John Obi Mikel's performance,I was full of enthiusasm.When chelsea started bidding for mikel,I said let me watch this chelsea team play.Before this time,I've not been watching club football,only country matches,I don't even know the names of clubs,I only got to know chelsea because they wanted to sign Mikel.So,during one of the weekends,I was in my father's bar and restaurant,the customers said I should put football match,dat chelsea was playing bolton wonders.Chelsea came from a goal down to win dat game.I love the way d chelsea team fought back to win dat match!
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 25, 2021
Pele10:
I support my lovely west bromwich albion from the year sign my best player OSAZIE ODEWINGIE.I cried the last time we were relegated.thank God we are back in the EPL.
You mean you support West brom kiss
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Otu7(m): 10:13am On Feb 25, 2021
Am a proud supporter of d following teams :Celtic, AC milan, Lazio, Chelsea, & Olympic Marseille..CELTIC was becoause of players like NEIL LENNON, DIDIER AGATHE, HENRIK LARSSON, ETC, MILLAN; JOSE MARIE, REDONDO, COSTA, SHEVCHENKO, SERGINHO, CAFU, MALDINI,NESTA, ALBERTINI MANY MORE, SAME WITH LAZIO: INZAGHI, CRESPO, NEDVED, CLAUDIO LOPEZ, VERON ETC, CHELSEA: ZOLA, GUDJOHNSON, HASSELBANK, d current french coach, many more..Olympique Marseille..: Dimitry Sichev, cant just remember dia names now..i love true football

1 Like

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by flamingREED(m): 10:14am On Feb 25, 2021
Madrid from the days of Figo.
Their white jersey and flawless ground passes and ball control was a treat.
My heart is with Juve just because of Cr7.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 25, 2021
Sympathy made me start supporting arsenal fc in the year 2005 after watching them mis the european champions cup narrowly to fc bacelona. plus the fact that they play beautiful football. O2 4 lyf
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Agbebakun22: 10:17am On Feb 25, 2021
My love for Chelsea got bound and I also support Borussia Dortmund
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Polynek(m): 10:23am On Feb 25, 2021
I failed in love with Chelsea when they won the UCL in 2012 and I also love Barcelona bcoz the best player dwells there.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by KosiGee(m): 10:24am On Feb 25, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Rangers won me over for just one season of the NPFL.

That season under Coach Amapabkabo when they won the league.

Amazing squad- Egbuchulam, Aguda and the rest- but the club hierarchy couldn't keep them together for longer than a season. Their loss.

Always a coal city boy. No matter where I go, which city I lived in or live in, Coal city is home.

I started supporting Enugu Rangers before the Egbuchulam’s started playing football and I’ll continue to support them.

1 Like

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by yimnansunny: 10:25am On Feb 25, 2021
I am a chelsea fan, they were many African players in the team thats why i started liking the club, d likes of drogba made me love chelsea
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Mide3367: 10:26am On Feb 25, 2021
In year 2008 during Chelsea vs Manchester United champions league final, I started supporting Chelsea due to pity as they were cheated by the referee. I cried that night o. My first time of watching football match and I got so emotional about It. Since then, I became of staunch Chelsea fan.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by ikept(m): 10:28am On Feb 25, 2021
Dreyton36:
Mine ...

I'm a proud Manchester United fan

I started supporting Manchester United in the year 2003 due to my love for Van Nistelrooy who was brought in with the sum of £19M during that time .

Let's see yours this should be fun
And Mods oya do the needful make I no too para kiss
Same reason, same club, and same year.... What a coincidence!
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by jamerflepz(m): 10:28am On Feb 25, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Barcelona anyday anytime twice on Thursday...
My love for that club knows no bound

Although I have little feelings for liverpool because of Fernando Torres that year...always love that moment when he is raping man u...and forcing vidic
Lol. I feel you. I am also a die hard Barcelona fan but most times I find myself watching liverpool's highlight and checking out their page on Facebook, all because of Sadio mane (my second favourite player in the world after messi). I don't care if liverpool win or lose a match as long as sadio scores, I'm good. I love Barcelona but there's nothing wrong in having a side club, liverpool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Dreyton36: 10:32am On Feb 25, 2021
And i made front-page as usual kiss

Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by kingdman: 10:32am On Feb 25, 2021
up Chelsea,,,,for life
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:36am On Feb 25, 2021
I'm a Chelsea fan...

Started supporting because of Celestine Babayaro.

He was actually the one I was watching in that club anytime they had a match.. I think that was in 03 or 04 sha.

Na one man dey show football matches that time I go dey coordinate people wey wan watch football.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Awake18(m): 10:37am On Feb 25, 2021
Messi's flying header against man U at the champions league final made me love barca
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by MUSTEPHA45(m): 10:42am On Feb 25, 2021
Chelsea fans all the way
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Royallawme(m): 10:45am On Feb 25, 2021
FORCA BARCA.......FC BARCELONA ANY TIME. THE TIKI TAKA STYLE OF PLAY AND THE SAMBA DANCE BY RONALDINHO THAT YEAR MAKE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH THE TEAM 100%. LOVE ARSENAL TOO THOUGH.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by Bennycollins: 10:46am On Feb 25, 2021
I can't even explain. As a kid I never really liked any particular European club nor was I fan of European football,but was always elated watching any match featuring any Nigerian player. That's is talking about, the likes of Amokachi, Okocha, Ksnu, Ikpeba etc. Later I started attaching sentiments to Liverpool, United, and Madrid. How I became a die-hard fan of Manchester United is what I can't fathom till today, but this started around 2005/2006.
Re: What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? by openmine(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2021
The classic champions league finals in 2005 between Liverpool and AC Milan made me admire Liverpool and eventually started supporting the club!

Not just because they won the UCL but for the fact that they refused to surrender in the face of adversity!

If you are 3 goals down in first half against a star studded AC Milan team,it was best to just play safe and hope you don't concede more...but not Liverpool!

They refused to give up....I can still remember Steven Gerard scoring the first goal in the second half and the way he gingered his team mates and the already humilated Liverpool supporters in the stadium was so emotional for me!

When Liverpool finally got the equalizer,I was jumping as if naija had won the world cup for the first time! grin
Its been all about Liverpool since then... kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Iwobi Visits Patients And Staff At The Whittington Hospital (Photos) / . / Rivers United Ends Their Pre-Season Tour In Spain With 3 - 3 Draw (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.