Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. (33104 Views)

I Want To Slap Somebody At Radautoworks / Gazzuzz: Dubious, Insultive And An Arrogant Being / My Second Coming To Radautoworks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Kewtt: 7:31am On Apr 04, 2021
radautoworks:

We considered it but honestly with everything that happened I'm not inclined to. One we get that capability up and running here we would do it like Glen promised but at this time that's all I'm willing to do.

We do- Glen and Bob. Bob is not able to return to Nigeria for a few months though. That's why I was upset Glen never even heard about the car till the NL post. And each customer does have a single point of contact but in true Naija fashion a lot refuse to stick with one person.

And thank you!
Fact is a lot of folks here are only interested in the outfit because of you. The reputational capital of the outfit is on you...

7 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Dovehorizon: 6:10pm On Apr 04, 2021
Engrjamjam:
[s][/s]A Fraudster

Calling her a fraudster, then u need to re-evaluate yourself.

7 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by DMechy: 6:23pm On Apr 04, 2021
Nigeria's auto repair industry is a different ball game. It is not american, Japanese, or Asian. It is purely Nigerian and needs to be managed with the Nigerian experience.

First to all car owners:

Repairs are expensive:

1. The Nigerian experience
Most vehicles on Nigerian road, bought as toks are actually not road worthy and are titled salvaged at the point of purchase. Salvaged vehicle means, the cost of repair is greater than the actual value of the car.

Even for clean titled vehicles, repair cost actually goes up after the first 5 years, which is why reasonable owners trade them off for new vehicles. Interestingly, the ayorkele and lacreme vehicles in Nigeria are 8 years old or more.

2. That you buy a new vehicle does not mean your repair cost will be low. Why?
Because dealership will fvck you! Dealerships and anything that looks like one. This accross board, worldwide. Now, add Nigeria's wuruwuru ness. I have had vehicles taken to coscharis, and elizade, where the customer pays heavily for a catalytic converter replaced, only to stuck up nets in them.
Foreign dealership are rip off, Nigerian dealerships are rip offs and crooks.

3. If you want to be attended to in English, and some common sense, patronise educated packaged mechanics.
This does not in any way guarantee a good job, but you will at least be spoken to in English, and you have rights to complain, and maybe rant about sueing them, no Nigerian court will actually listen to your case, because there are more important pending issues, that they will never attend to. Maybe harrass with police. They are better off, the roadside that if you complain too much, you fit chop slap, and curses ontop your money, the not so crude ones, after putting your car in more problems than you brought it, will first resort to begging, then ask you to do your worst.

Whats the open advice to car owners.
Patronise a shop, with as much common sense and technical know how. They will be expensive, not very expensive, and you should be tech savy too. You are better off that way.

To Autoshops.
I give this advice with 8 years of tech, and dealership level auto experience.

1. You cant fix all cars.
If you need explanations for this. Ask, i will explain.

2. Dont take all customers
There are this sets that think owning a car, and paying for repairs amounts to owning you. Not bad, but with a mix of pride, and trying to lowball on prices of parts and repair cost, just avoid them.
I particularly will not take any customer that wants to buy their parts. Why? The story does not always end well.

3. Your front desk, should be tech savvy, and have good communication skills.

4. Dont fall into deep of, we fix all cars.
Preferably to maintain a good reputation, do not fix vehicles that are older than 10 years. The tales are not always great. With good automobile electrical knowledge, you can fix all brands, but older vehicles are no no. Let someone else deal with the cross. Most especially for new customers.

This is not a hardline rule, consistent and loyal customers have older vehicles, you dont to send them off cos their other vehicles are old.

5. You workers will chop you.
In the Nigerian experience, block loopholes, and dont hesitate to fire an employee thats out to kill your business. There are harmless ways they make extras on the job.

6. Too much technology and English sucks.

To this thread, it is sad the op and rad couldn't resolve without a grudge. Things dont always end the way we want them to. The most important thing is to learn from from the experience and move on.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by radautoworks: 8:13pm On Apr 04, 2021
DMechy:
Nigeria's auto repair industry is a different ball game. It is not american, Japanese, or Asian. It is purely Nigerian and needs to be managed with the Nigerian experience.

First to all car owners:

Repairs are expensive:

Most vehicles on Nigerian road, bought as toks are actually not road worthy and are titled salvaged at the point of purchase. Salvaged vehicle means, the cost of repair is greater than the actual value of the car.

..... Etc

To this thread, it is sad the op and rad couldn't resolve without a grudge. Things dont always end the way we want them to. The most important thing is to learn from from the experience and move on.

Thank you
Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by mexxy1(m): 8:25pm On Apr 04, 2021
Mistakes have been made by both parties but, in all honesty, Radautos have gone out of their way to sort the issues.

The vehicle was obviously abused prior to the OP purchasing it.

Op, I know it's not easy considering the funds put in but, since the funds were mainly spent on parts, which were also installed, I think it's not all a loss for you. May your source be replenished.

Just like many others have suggested, at this point, both parties should count their losses and move on. No need dragging this issue longer.

4 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by adanny01(m): 8:45pm On Apr 04, 2021
DMechy:

First to all car owners:

Repairs are expensive:

Even for clean titled vehicles, repair cost actually goes up after the first 5 years, which is why reasonable owners trade them off for new vehicles. Interestingly, the ayorkele and lacreme vehicles in Nigeria are 8 years old or more.

Because dealership will fvck you! Dealerships and anything that looks like one. This accross board, worldwide. Now, add Nigeria's wuruwuru ness. I have had vehicles taken to coscharis, and elizade, where the customer pays heavily for a catalytic converter replaced, only to stuck up nets in them.

3. If you want to be attended to in English, and some common sense, patronise educated packaged mechanics.
This does not in any way guarantee a good job, but you will at least be spoken to in English, and you have rights to complain, and maybe rant about sueing them, no Nigerian court will actually listen to your case, because there are more important pending issues, that they will never attend to. Maybe harrass with police. They are better off, the roadside that if you complain too much, you fit chop slap, and curses ontop your money, the not so crude ones, after putting your car in more problems than you brought it, will first resort to begging, then ask you to do your worst.

Patronise a shop, with as much common sense and technical know how. They will be expensive, not very expensive, and you should be tech savy too. You are better off that way.

To Autoshops.

There are this sets that think owning a car, and paying for repairs amounts to owning you. Not bad, but with a mix of pride, and trying to lowball on prices of parts and repair cost, just avoid them.
I particularly will not take any customer that wants to buy their parts. Why? The story does not always end well.

Preferably to maintain a good reputation, do not fix vehicles that are older than 10 years. The tales are not always great. With good automobile electrical knowledge, you can fix all brands, but older vehicles are no no. Let someone else deal with the cross. Most especially for new customers.

This is not a hardline rule, consistent and loyal customers have older vehicles, you dont to send them off cos their other vehicles are old.

In the Nigerian experience, block loopholes, and dont hesitate to fire an employee thats out to kill your business. There are harmless ways they make extras on the job.

Well said.

The only thing to add is; present a repair plan rather than price list of parts and labour. Follow the repair plan in the order of priorities.

We all understand that a plan never means we are sure your problems are over.

A plan means we will try this and see if it works

A parts list means buy these and all your problems are over

7 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by adanny01(m): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2021
mexxy1:
[s]Mistakes have been made by both parties but, in all honesty, Radautos have gone out of their way to sort the issues.

The vehicle was obviously abused prior to the OP purchasing it.[/s]

Op, I know it's not easy considering the funds put in but, since the funds were mainly spent on parts, which were also installed, I think it's not all a loss for you. May your source be replenished.

Just like many others have suggested, at this point, both parties should count their losses and move on. No need dragging this issue longer.

Strike

2 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by seunoj: 11:51pm On Apr 04, 2021
Madam rad
Pls ignore this thread going forward.
Except for comments from OP. I have seen the man with 3 different monikers doing hot n cold. Rad soju n ignore like ikenna has advised

5 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by dicksonadams(m): 5:19am On Apr 05, 2021
DMechy:

First to all car owners:

Repairs are expensive:

To Autoshops.

I love your points �

Don't repair all cars

If a customer insist on bringing their parts, don't do it

Do as much as you can to avoid future squabbles

But if you do decide to take on the job then you just have to bite the bullet if any thing goes wrong to make the customer happy.

In the past I was kind of upset when gazzuzz refused to work on the 08 Honda Civic, I was like e be like say this man no like money or he is too arrogant but later I belive he rejects those kind of cars because he doesn't want the stress. This comes from experience.

9 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by NobleEngineer(m): 8:52am On Apr 05, 2021
after going tru this entire thread, aswear I kon dey pity Anty Rad...and the OP too; I really feel for you and your pocket.

also Radu don't lose sleep over this particular business, God sent you this customer for a reason smiley smiley smiley

*drops mic*

6 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Springboot: 10:00am On Apr 05, 2021
radautoworks:

8 ) You bought this vehicle for about 400k if I remember correctly. When you did, you knew it had extensive issues. We did extensive work to make the car road worthy (which we maintain it is). For this work, we charged about 200k. This is exclusive of the 119k worth of work in picture 3 below that we did not charge you for.

This is very disappointing, what's your business if he bought the car for 100k or even got it for free? If you had issues with that you should have turn it down and asked him to go else where for repairs.

I had the same vehicle 2008 red Acura, I drove it without issues for 2years until my mech forgot to replace the oil filter properly after service and the engine almost knocked, I was adviced to change the engine and my mechanic offered to split the bill but I declined because he was honest about his mistake, my cousin was interested in the vehicle, dashed her for 250k and she bought a tokunbo engine and vehicle runs fine till date.

@op immediately you saw the over a million bill, you should have just bought a tokunbo engine and all these will be history.

@radautos couldn't fix it and they are afraid of coming out to say this.

12 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by DUNKA(m): 6:53am On Apr 06, 2021
Springboot:

This is very disappointing, what's your business if he bought the car for 100k or even got it for free? If you had issues with that you should have turn it down and asked him to go else where for repairs.

I had the same vehicle 2008 red Acura, I drove it without issues for 2years until my mech forgot to replace the oil filter properly after service and the engine almost knocked, I was adviced to change the engine and my mechanic offered to split the bill but I declined because he was honest about his mistake, my cousin was interested in the vehicle, dashed her for 250k and she bought a tokunbo engine and vehicle runs fine till date.

@op immediately you saw the over a million bill, you should have just bought a tokunbo engine and all these will be history.

@radautos couldn't fix it and they are afraid of coming out to say this.
My experience has been as follows:

1. Buy a personal top grade obd II scanner
2. Scan for the codes
3. Google the codes for likely solutions and parts
4. GOOGLE SOME MORE grin
5. Get a kazeem and direct him based on your scan and Google results

It would save you the option of falling in to a money pit trap

My 2 kobo

10 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by neutralmind: 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2021
Na wa o. Na real wa.

1 Like

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by DUNKA(m): 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2021
neutralmind:
Na wa o. Na real wa.
Atoh fixing a car is not Rocket Science or Quantum Physics na. wink

1 Like

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Crocif: 9:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
Hi,

I was hoping to update everyone with some heartwarming news but sadly the good news would have to be for a later date.

I was forced to cancel my appointment with the nairalander who graciously accepted to check the health of the vehicle because I am currently stranded, somewhere in the East because the vehicle was not roadworthy after all.

In case you are wondering, I got to my destination in the East quite alright but the events of the following day proved that our safe arrival was only by the grace of God.

The first thing that greeted us the next day was the exhaust smoke at start-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMUgaLZYxU

Then the following error codes: P0430, P2251, P1717, P0134 and P2647.

and the last was a terrible noise coming from the back axle of the vehicle. A quick check by one of the technicians here showed that the rear differential was completely bursted. A bit upset about this for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I already purchased another and would have it fixed tomorrow so I can get back to Lagos on Friday.

I am still hopeful all will be well at the end. smiley

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Crocif: 9:43pm On Apr 07, 2021

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Kingdemu: 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2021
Crocif:
Hi,

I was hoping to update everyone with some heartwarming news but sadly the good news would have to be for a later date.

I was forced to cancel my appointment with the nairalander who graciously accepted to check the health of the vehicle because I am currently stranded, somewhere in the East because the vehicle was not roadworthy after all.

In case you are wondering, I got to my destination in the East quite alright but the events of the following day proved that our safe arrival was only by the grace of God.

and the last was a terrible noise coming from the back axle of the vehicle. A quick check by one of the technicians here showed that the rear differential was completely bursted. A bit upset about this for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I already purchased another and would have it fixed tomorrow so I can get back to Lagos on Friday.

Now I'm just speechless. That much smoke? cry cry
Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Springboot: 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2021
This is just so painful seeing that much smoke, if I had seen the thread before going to waste his time at readautos, I would have adviced he got another engine

3 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by sauceEEP(m): 10:37pm On Apr 07, 2021
undecided
Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by radautoworks: 12:56am On Apr 08, 2021
Crocif:
Hi,

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and glad you are okay.

That much smoke means most likely bad valve seals or the rings. If the smoke is at startup after being parked for a while and eases off (like it seems to in the video), it is the valve seals- which we did not provide. YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW ENGINE. when parked for a while, the oil is leaking through the valve seals into the exhaust. When the car is started, it burns off giving the white smoke you see. If it was the rings, the smoke would not stop or ease off. No matter where you go next, do not let them sell you an engine. Simply get high quality valve seals and have them installed.

P2647 has to do with the VVT which was leaking badly. We corrected the leak because a lot of the time that clears the code and saves you having to buy a sensor. In addition, compared to your other problems, the sensor was not considered a major issue.

On the P0430 catalytic converter code, as you see below, it was not present at either visit however the oxygen sensor (P2251 & P0134) we told you about is on the same bank as the catalytic converter that is now throwing a code which is not uncommon.

As far as the rear differential, when we looked at it, it had a bad seal which you also provided and we replaced. Had it been bad, there would have been an unmistakeable roaring sound when the car was driven. I don't know what, if any, bad roads may have damaged your differential but the only problem with it when it came to us was the seal.

Given how displeased you were, I'm surprised you embarked on a long distance journey without a third party check which would have removed all ambiguity. I was anxiously eagerly awaiting the results. As much as I sympathize, we cannot bear responsibility for third party parts. We took the motor apart twice because of the oil pump (another third party part).

I wish you all the best but can no longer invest time and money into this vehicle unless we use our own parts.

3 Likes

Re: From Gazzuzz To Radautoworks And Back Again…my Story. by Crocif: 1:52am On Apr 08, 2021
radautoworks:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and glad you are okay.

That much smoke means most likely bad valve seals or the rings. If the smoke is at startup after being parked for a while and eases off (like it seems to in the video), it is the valve seals- which we did not provide. YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW ENGINE. when parked for a while, the oil is leaking through the valve seals into the exhaust. When the car is started, it burns off giving the white smoke you see. If it was the rings, the smoke would not stop or ease off. No matter where you go next, do not let them sell you an engine. Simply get high quality valve seals and have them installed.

P2647 has to do with the VVT which was leaking badly. We corrected the leak because a lot of the time that clears the code and saves you having to buy a sensor. In addition, compared to your other problems, the sensor was not considered a major issue.

On the P0430 catalytic converter code, as you see below, it was not present at either visit however the oxygen sensor (P2251 & P0134) we told you about is on the same bank as the catalytic converter that is now throwing a code which is not uncommon.

[s]As far as the rear differential, when we looked at it, it had a bad seal which you also provided and we replaced. Had it been bad, there would have been an unmistakeable roaring sound when the car was driven. I don't know what, if any, bad roads may have damaged your differential but the only problem with it when it came to us was the seal.[/s]

Given how displeased you were, I'm surprised you embarked on a long distance journey workout a third party check which would have removed all ambiguity. I was anxiously awaiting the results. As much as I sympathize, we cannot bear responsibility for third party parts. We took the motor apart twice because of the oil pump (another third party part).

I wish you all the best but can no longer invest time and money into this vehicle unless we use our own parts.

The areas in red I won't read because you forced me to give the video evidence of the smoke now you want to explain it away.

The other areas I struck out are demonstrably false. Everything about the differential was provided by Glen not me and I paid him extra for it. The evidence can be provided.

You are surprised I took the vehicle on a long journey? Amazing. The point of doing that much work was to travel with it and YOU told everyone that the vehicle was roadworthy. I guess I was wrong to trust your professional opinion. I apologise for this.

The advert on your website:

10% OFF All Major Repairs
It’s Road Trip Season – and you should be #roadready!
FREE Performance Check
Nationwide Warranty
No Appointment Necessary

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

See Pics Of Innoson Motors Workers On Duty Amidst Rumour The Company Has Stopped / Picture Of Man Transporting A Cow With 'Okada' / Meet “Toyota 86”: The Amazing Toyota Nigerians Are Yet To Discover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.