Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,192 members, 7,860,266 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:39 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114867 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
Radoillo: Mrs Chima,
I know no one's gonna believe me, and I should quit trying to get anyone to...

I'm not Francis. I'm not. Its not fun being called a fake.

It was just a question but I stand corrected.....you haven't shown such illiteracy nor cerebal palsy as your other brother has. wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

(Looking at the post with disabelief)

Radallio...please forgive me for thinking you can be this dumb.

You forgive me Radallio?

LOL... OK. I don't feel comfortable calling anybody dumb, though. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Can you honestly say that you have graduated from one?

My siggie was in your honor. cheesy

FYI, I've been admitted into the University of Maryland College Park(one of US top 20 schools in the field of engineering) to pursue my master's degree. wink

I already obtained my US F1 Student Visa last month at the US embassy. You can read my visa interview experience here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/306#17430445

University of Maryland wouldn't admit me into their masters program if I didn't have a bachelor's degree, not just anyhow certificate but one from a prestigious university, right? wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:11pm On Sep 12, 2013
Radoillo:

LOL... OK. I don't feel comfortable calling anybody dumb, though. grin

You know damn well that account: Big Fool 21 is not doing Igbos any justice but hey if you guys don't give a Bleep....cheers! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

FYI, I've been admitted into the University of Maryland College Park(one of US top 20 schools in the field of engineering) to pursue my master's degree. wink

I already obtained my US F1 Student Visa last month. You can read my visa interview experience here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/306#17430445

wink

You mean University of Lagos? grin

You would need a student visa to attend any American universities unless you do the online courses

Good luck with the American embassy. I think you should stick to scamming. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:
@Bold...talking about claiming, here's a post from one of your brothers trying to claim everything as yoruba's.

1)He started by first claiming Yoruba sold the highest number of slaves. cheesy cheesy

2)Then he went on and claimed the Slave coast to be only Yoruba land when according to Wikipedia, the slave coast covers the countries of Togo, Benin and Western Nigeria. cheesy cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_coast

3) Then he claimed more Calabar and Ibibio slaves were sold off than Igbos at the Bight of Biafra. grin grin. Wow! I never knew that! Somebody please tell me something new! grin

4) He even went on to claim famous AAs of established Igbo ancestries(Edward Wilmot and even Olaudah Equiano who said himself that he's Igbo) to be Yorubas and not Igbos! shocked shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Wilmot_Blyden

5) He claimed Sierra Leonean Creole Language, also called Krio to be Yoruba language!!!! grin grin grin

6) And then claimed that majority of all slave revolts were carried out by Yoruba only. grin grin

Fair enough he went overboard, however, I believe it's just a reaction to people like you who like to claim everything. At least he didn't Aro/Nri as Yoruba's, like you claimed Egba's (one of the biggest Yoruba groups) as Igbo's. Also, the woman from the "Billie" organisation that you keep referencing is just as delusional as you're. She trying to tell Igbo history by stealing Yoruba and Benin histories as Igbo. Heck, her website is about Igbo's, yet she has oduduwa head and Benin bronzes as her webpage pictures - who does that?

There are clear and distinct Igbo influences in black diaspora that you lot can claim from Belize, to Haiti, to Jamaica, to Barbados, to Virginia (USA) etc.. However, when you start claiming everything as Igbo, then most people won't take you seriously. For example: Igbo's love to claim Barbardos as mostly Igbo. However, most people who acquainted with Barbados' history knows that, that's just pure hyperbole. Barbados during slavery was predominantly Igbo and Yoruba, with a few other African tribes. However, the predominantly culture there is Yoruba. Their government house is called, "Oduduwa House" - and tons of Bajans still bear Yoruba names. But you don't see Yoruba's claiming the country like Igbo's do. Countries like Trinidad and Tobago (esp Tobago), Dominican republic, Puerto Rico, Bahamas etc. had tons of Yoruba slaves and influences. Even parts of Jamaica and there tons of Jamaicans in the UK who bear Yoruba names esp. in West Midlands - but you don't see Yoruba's claiming them. Kareem Abdul Jabbar didn't need DNA tests to know he's Yoruba - his father told him as a kid. And Kareem is originally from Trinidad but was born in America.

As for USA, I honestly don't think any group can claim being the most influential, or having the most slaves there, since slaves were also brought from other countries in the new world, to USA. Even with the DNA admixture, Yoruba's are the predominant group from most of the DNA's that have been done. However, does that mean AA's are predominantly Yoruba's? - Hell NO!

You lot need to argue based on facts and not conjectures
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You know damn well that account: Big Fool 21 is not doing Igbos any justice but hey if you guys don't give a Bleep....cheers! grin

Cheers!

My guess is y'all really love each other, and are just doing this for fun.

I'm kinda new on nairaland. Not really used to the way y'all talk to each other here cheesy
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You mean University of Lagos? grin

You wouldnt need a student visa to attend any American universities unless you do the online courses

Good luck with the American embassy. I think you should stick to scamming. lipsrsealed

What?? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Madam, you had better shut it! Your crass ignorance is appalling!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

(Looking at the post with disabelief)

Radallio...please forgive me for thinking you can be this dumb.

You forgive me Radallio?

Don't tell me that's black English too. grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

What?? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Madam, you had better shut it! Your crass ignorance is appalling!

Bigfrancis21 Here are my account details

SORT CODE 123456 ACCOUNT NO: 87654321 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
Radoillo:

Cheers!

My guess is y'all really love each other, and are just doing this for fun.

I'm kinda new on nairaland. Not really used to the way y'all talk to each other here cheesy

Lol@love each other. grin grin

I don't know that nigga from the back of your rusty elbow.

You are funny! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:30pm On Sep 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Don't tell me that's black English too. grin grin grin

This nigga is trying hard to be funny. lipsrsealed

Chuckles at an extra letter in a word being Black English. cheesy

What's White English?
What's Yellow English?
What's Red English?

They have extra numbers and symbols in their words? grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:33pm On Sep 12, 2013
shymexx:

Fair enough he went overboard, however, I believe it's just a reaction to people like you who like to claim everything.

As for USA, I honestly don't think any group can claim being the most influential, or having the most slaves there, since slaves were also brought from other countries in the new world, to USA. Even with the DNA admixture, Yoruba's are the predominant group from most of the DNA's that have been done. However, does that mean AA's are predominantly Yoruba's? - Hell NO!

You lot need to argue based on facts and not conjectures

Clearly, the most important legacy left behind by the Yoruba in the Caribbean is their native religion, which was attributed to the fact that the Yoruba started appearing more and more in large numbers in the Americas between the mid slave trade and the closure. Since still being 'fresh' from Africa, they still had better memories of their practices and customs than other ethnicities who had long acculturated since into their new environment and forgotten their links to Mama Africa, having being shipped off much earlier.

You should know that Caribbean and AA folks who practice Santeria, Candomble and other forms of Yoruba native religion do that as a reconnection back to Mama Africa not necessarily because they see themselves as Yoruba or have Yoruba blood. You also need to know that a substantial amount of these Santeria practising folks could turn out to have non-yoruba ancestries from DNA testing.

The surviving Yoruba religions are held on to by some Caribbean folks to reclaim their African identity, which I think is honorific.

@Bold...you'll have to come up with evidence to substantiate that claim. Personally, i've seen more AAs come out with part/full Igbo ancestries than for Yoruba from DNA testing. I've also posted so much evidence in past pages.

Seal and Chamillionaire are already Yorubas and Nigerians who migrated to live abroad. They are not African Americans.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:33pm On Sep 12, 2013
Jayvarley:

He said he is in America and studying in Maryland. grin

We can be all we want online! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:36pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

He said he is in America and studying in Maryland. grin

We can be all we want online! grin

First he will have to drain my bank account of funds for his student visa

If his visa application is refused he will reapply under a different name grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
Jayvarley:

Why are you scared of dropping the real details here? Let me see if smarter Africans who stumble on this thread won't rip you off your saved government assistance dollars. grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

It was just a question but I stand corrected.....you haven't shown such illiteracy nor cerebal palsy as your other brother has. wink
Mrs Chima, I think you're taking this argument way too far. Your command of English is quite poor. Bigfrancis, please, let it slide, I love and admire your indepth knowledge on the above topic. Though am not versed as regards slave trade at all, but so far so good I've been following you, I've learnt a whole lot. Bro, you're brilliant and intelligent. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
Jayvarley:

If his visa application is refused he will reapply under a different name grin grin

Dude, you're being childish for saying such about bigfrancis. You don't even know him. You're acting like a little girl. I think you need a tampon.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
slimmy05: Dude, you're being childish for saying such about bigfrancis. You don't even know him. You're acting like a little girl. I think you need a tampon.

Yes and when I've finished with it I'll stick it in your mouth! shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

What's White English?
What's Yellow English?
What's Red English?

The funny thing about you is that you try so hard to be sarcastic and you fail woefully at it. You don't even have the least good sense of humor. grin grin

African American Vernacular English (AAVE)—also called African American English; less precisely Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE)—is an African American variety (dialect, ethnolect, and sociolect) of American English. Non-linguists sometimes call it Ebonics (a term that also has other meanings and connotations).

It shares parts of its grammar and phonology with Southern American English, which is spoken by many people in the United States. Several creolists, including William Stewart, John Dillard, and John Rickford, argue that AAVE shares so many characteristics with African creole dialects spoken in much of the world that AAVE itself is a creole,[1] while others maintain that there are no significant parallels.[2][3][4][5][6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_English
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
slimmy05: Dude, you're being childish for saying such about bigfrancis. You don't even know him. You're acting like a little girl. I think you need a tampon.

Thanks man. For the past few days, i've been off the US Student Visa thread devoting all my energy on this thread.

I miss the other thread so much. I'm coming back tonight.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

What's White English?
What's Yellow English?
What's Red English?

stop being childish madam.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Why are you scared of dropping the real details here? Let me see if smarter Africans who stumble on this thread won't rip you off your saved government assistance dollars. grin grin

That's my real account number, I am trying to help you out my Igbo Brother
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
Jayvarley:

I know Igbos have distinct looks but no way he will be able to fool the embassy photographically. grin

He is prolly the only Igbo with a Jerry Lewis helmet. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:04pm On Sep 12, 2013
slimmy05: stop being childish madam.

You tell me to stop being chilish but you won't tell your dumb azz brother to stop being dumb?

Niggas!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:05pm On Sep 12, 2013

Aww BigFool brought his gayman online! grin

Jay...clench your azz! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I know Igbos have distinct looks but no way he will be able to fool the embassy photographically. grin

grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Aww BigFool brought his gayman online! grin

Jay...clench your azz! grin

We're under attack! HELP!

We're about to be sold into slavery all over again!! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
Jayvarley:

grin

I take that back Jay...Robin came to defend his battyman....so two of them wear the helmet! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Bigfrancis, just ignore this attention seeking whor.e. She's no way your match in all ramifications. Despite her stay in a civilized nation with English as native language, she can't still help but disgrace herself with her crass ignorance. Her command of English is just very poor, my 6years old nephew wouldn't make such silly mistakes and she's all up trying to cover up instead of wallowing in shame.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:11pm On Sep 12, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I take that back Jay...Robin came to defend his battyman....so two of them wear the helmet! grin

A whole lot of helmet wearing MUTHER F*C.K.E.R.Z IN HERE!! cheesy shocked grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:11pm On Sep 12, 2013
Battyman! Battyman! Battyman!

What's you gon do when we come for you?

Battyman! Battyman! Battyman!

Clench your azz real tight!
Cover your nuts!
Close your mouth!

Captain Battyman anf his bish are here to homosexualize this thread!. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (59) (Reply)

Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) / Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.