Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114294 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:12pm On Sep 14, 2013
deejay717: If he was ignorant or dumb I don't think I would waste three years of my life on him
Just saying lipsrsealed
Cheer up sweety like Slimmy said u sound a little bitter

Yeah If you say so. If calling dumb and ignorant people dumb and ignorant makes me bitter so be it.

Don't be naive to the bullshit.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
slimmy05: You sound frustrated and bitter. Its so very obvious your marriage is a sham. Keep forcing yourself on every man. Go get a life and stop all this rantings. No difference with a mad woman. So sorry for the man you end up with. He will surely be frustrated as you are.

Why do you care and are you jealous because you want to be married? Can't afford the bride price? Too fat and ugly? grin

Keep on following me around and respond to my posts. It is keeping you busy until your man decides to pay you any attention.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:25pm On Sep 14, 2013
deejay717: If he was ignorant or dumb I don't think I would waste three years of my life on him
Just saying lipsrsealed
Cheer up sweety like Slimmy said u sound a little bitter

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

That's exactly how I was laughing when you said Diop was Indian. grin grin grin

Why didn't you post the picture when you first responded to her? You needed permission from your manboo? grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by deejay717(f): 11:40pm On Sep 14, 2013
OK
bigfrancis21:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

"Slimmy said you are bitter because you called them dumb and ignorant."

Priceless! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:49pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I know Igbos have distinct looks but no way he will be able to fool the embassy photographically. grin

He is prolly the only Igbo with a Jerry Lewis helmet. grin

Madam, once again you are wrong.

Here, let me correct the self-acclaimed English native speaker.

The proper English should be, will he. grin grin grin

Thank me later. grin

Mrs.Chima:

Like I said get to know his family and a visa means nothing.

A woman can't take a nigga that doesn't want to be taken. If he want another chick he would find another chick.

One of those niggas that told you not to let outsiders ruin your relationship commented that Nigerian/Africans should be with their own. He has also said that Black Americans (you) are on welfare, lazy, uneducated, and have not contribute to anything positive but drugs and baby daddies.

Without much effort, he has contradicted himself. Lets get real.

If you feel secured in your relationship with the African then you should have no problem handling new surprises in the future.

One thing for sure...family is important to an Igbo man and if he care about you he would introduce you.

Good luck. wink

1) secure
2) he cares

Mrs.Chima:

11. A certificate of proficient is not a degree.
12. The first Black man to performed open heart surgery is not Igbo/Nigerian.
13. Playing scrabble will not make you less dumb.

Did you fond your brein too? grin grin

Game over!

proficiency
perform
brain

Yea. Exactly. Coming from somebody who grew up in an all white neighbourhood. Who doesn't know that university with a vowel 'u' goes with the 'a' definite article because the 'u' is pronounced like the 'y' consonant.

Its clear you didn't go to school. grin

An African teaching an American the basics of English language. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oprah, take it easy. She's your fellow AA sister, remember? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:56pm On Sep 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Madam, once again you are wrong.

Here, let me correct the self-acclaimed English native speaker.

The proper English should be, will he. grin grin grin

Thank me later. grin

1) secure
2) he cares

Yea. Exactly. Coming from somebody who grew up in an all white neighbourhood. Who doesn't know that university with a vowel 'u' goes with the 'an' definite article because the 'u' is pronounced like the 'y' consonant.

Its clear you didn't go to school. grin

An African teaching an American the basics of English language. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oprah, take it easy. She's your fellow AA sister, remember? grin grin grin

Lol at this African who supposedly live in America not knowing American English/lingo and non-Africans telling him Diop is not Indian. grin grin

This is the same nigga that said U is not a vowel and an university is ebonic. grin grin

Thanks for the Oprah gif so I can match it with all your ignorant comments. kiss grin

This Igbo failure is lame and dumb.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

"Slimmy said you are bitter because you called them dumb and ignorant."

Priceless! grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 12:00am On Sep 15, 2013
deejay717: OK

Thanks Sis.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:08am On Sep 15, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Thanks Sis.

Oh now she is Sis? grin grin grin

What happened to all the Black American women being on welfare and have bunch of baby daddies? They need to stick to their own kind?

Oh I see...she is an exception becauae she liked one of your posts and kissed your nuts huh? As long as she agrees with your dumb and ignorant azz..she is "sis"?

Fake azz nigga. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 12:20am On Sep 15, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

What happened to all some the

Black American women being on welfare and have bunch of baby daddies? They need to stick to their own kind?

Oh I see...she is an exception becauae she liked one of your posts and kissed your nuts huh? As long as she agrees with your dumb and ignorant azz..she is "sis"?

@Bold2...I was referring to low class and mediocre-spirited women like you who are full of bitterness for their lives and who can't imagine themselves achieving great things because she sees herself as a second class citizen who isn't capable of doing anything meaningful in her life other than living on government assistance and enjoying free poo.

I wasn't referring to classy, educated, college-trained, non-gullible, employed, intelligent, beautiful black sisters like Ms. Deejay and Ms. Lea. tongue

Look at how brilliant, classy and educated they sound from their write-ups. tongue

Deal with your bitterness-filled life.

Your bitterness has succeeded in turning your AA sister against you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:40am On Sep 15, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

What happened to all the Black American women being on welfare and have bunch of baby daddies? They need to stick to their own kind?

kiss to the poster that liked my post. wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:46am On Sep 15, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold2...I was referring to low class and mediocre-spirited women like you who are full of bitterness for their lives and who can't imagine themselves achieving great things because she sees herself as a second class citizen who isn't capable of doing anything meaningful in her life other than living on government assistance and enjoying free poo.

I wasn't referring to classy, educated, college-trained, non-gullible, employed, intelligent, beautiful black sisters like Ms. Deejay and Ms. Lea. tongue

Look at how brilliant, classy and educated they sound from their write-ups. tongue

Deal with your bitterness-filled life.

Your bitterness has succeeded in turning your AA sister against you.

Oamn I am good! I got a nigga to recant his original statement and repeated Jay's statement!

You know what I take that back....BigFool is a dumb azz so it didn't take much to get his dumb azz to contradicted his OWN STATEMENTS. grin grin

Yo Jay....he agrees with you now! There are college educated and successful Black American women who do not have baby daddies and isn't on welfare.

You owe me Jay. kiss grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:51am On Sep 15, 2013
LMAO@a naive chick turned against me. grin

I didn't know the bish was on my team! grin grin

Now Kailis gon get her azz whipped if she ever try! angry
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 4:25am On Sep 15, 2013
Chima!

Whenever you start quoting yourself and laughing at your own dry jokes, you know it is time to take your meds.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 15, 2013
eziza: Chima!

Whenever you start quoting yourself and laughing at your own dry jokes, you know it is time to take your meds.
grin grin cheesy grin shocked
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
[b][/b] grin@Jarverly
WELL DONE FOR STANDING AGAINST "IGBO TRIBALISM". I was in INSTANBUL on business remember SA wants to rule MIDDLE EAST these. I was there. grin@
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
wats up sista, did u know that DR LINDA HEYWOOD is of Congo and Fulani ancestry. cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:52pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
I HAVE NOTICED MY SISTER U HAVE READ ALOT ON "ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE". HENCE YOU'RE NOT BRAINWASHED BY "TRIBALIST THRASH".

I'd light us to discuss the role of AFRICAN WOMEN in the new world on your other thread. Saw it and was IMPRESSED.grin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
kwame tut: [b][/b] grin@Jarverly
WELL DONE FOR STANDING AGAINST "IGBO TRIBALISM". I was in INSTANBUL on business remember SA wants to rule MIDDLE EAST these. I was there. grin@
Is this a symptom of Parkison Disease? You don't sound like someone who've travelled out of your pigeon hole, not even out of imagination grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
DR HALL 18 MOST FREQUENT ETHNICITIES.
Note:those are males and females, note the MANDINGOES AND CONGOS WERE NUMEROUS COMPARED TO OTHER GROUPS.

LASTLY ON fertility thats just an assumption from Hall's side as we were all not there. The book I posted is by other HISTORIANS question her views.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
[b][/b]@Kails

AFRICAN HISTORY WILL NEVER BE 419ED!!!!NEVER!!!!!! WE WILL STAND FOR THE TRUETH UNTIL JESUS COME BACK.

Ending the Slavery Blame-Game Twitter
DiggRedditTumblrPermalink By HENRY LOUIS GATES Jr. Published: April 22, 2010

SlaveryTHANKS to an unlikely confluence of history and genetics — the fact that he is African-American and president — Barack Obama has a unique opportunity to reshape the debate over one of the most contentious issues of America’s racial legacy: reparations, the idea that the descendants of American slaves should receive compensation for their ancestors’ unpaid labor and bondage.

There are many thorny issues to resolve before we can arrive at a judicious (if symbolic) gesture to match such a sustained, heinous crime. Perhaps the most vexing is how to parcel out blame to those directly involved in the capture and sale of human beings for immense economic gain.

While we are all familiar with the role played by the United States and the European colonial powers like Britain, France, Holland, Portugal and Spain, there is very little discussion of the role Africans themselves played. And that role, it turns out, was a considerable one, especially for the slave-trading kingdoms of western and central Africa. These included the Akan of the kingdom of Asante in what is now Ghana, the Fon of Dahomey (now Benin), the Mbundu of Ndongo in modern Angola and the Kongo of today’s Congo, among several others.

For centuries, Europeans in Africa kept close to their military and trading posts on the coast. Exploration of the interior, home to the bulk of Africans sold into bondage at the height of the slave trade, came only during the colonial conquests, which is why Henry Morton Stanley’s pursuit of Dr. David Livingstone in 1871 made for such compelling press: he was going where no (white) man had gone before.

How did slaves make it to these coastal forts? The historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. The sad truth is that without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred.

Advocates of reparations for the descendants of those slaves generally ignore this untidy problem of the significant role that Africans played in the trade, choosing to believe the romanticized version that our ancestors were all kidnapped unawares by evil white men, like Kunta Kinte was in “Roots.” The truth, however, is much more complex: slavery was a business, highly organized and lucrative for European buyers and African sellers alike.

The African role in the slave trade was fully understood and openly acknowledged by many African-Americans even before the Civil War. For Frederick Douglass, it was an argument against repatriation schemes for the freed slaves. “The savage chiefs of the western coasts of Africa, who for ages have been accustomed to selling their captives into bondage and pocketing the ready cash for them, will not more readily accept our moral and economical ideas than the slave traders of Maryland and Virginia,” he warned. “We are, therefore, less inclined to go to Africa to work against the slave trade than to stay here to work against it.”

To be sure, the African role in the slave trade was greatly reduced after 1807, when abolitionists, first in Britain and then, a year later, in the United States, succeeded in banning the importation of slaves. Meanwhile, slaves continued to be bought and sold within the United States, and slavery as an institution would not be abolished until 1865. But the culpability of American plantation owners neither erases nor supplants that of the African slavers. In recent years, some African leaders have become more comfortable discussing this complicated past than African-Americans tend to be.

In 1999, for instance, President Mathieu Kerekou of Benin astonished an all-black congregation in Baltimore by falling to his knees and begging African-Americans’ forgiveness for the “shameful” and “abominable” role Africans played in the trade. Other African leaders, including Jerry Rawlings of Ghana, followed Mr. Kerekou’s bold example.

Our new understanding of the scope of African involvement in the slave trade is not historical guesswork. Thanks to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, directed by the historian David Eltis of Emory University, we now know the ports from which more than 450,000 of our African ancestors were shipped out to what is now the United States (the database has records of 12.5 million people shipped to all parts of the New World from 1514 to 1866). About 16 percent of United States slaves came from eastern Nigeria, while 24 percent came from the Congo and Angola.

[b]@Kails

AFRICAN HISTORY WILL NEVER BE 419ED!!!!NEVER!!!!!! WE WILL STAND FOR THE TRUETH UNTIL JESUS COME BACK.

SlaveryTHANKS to an unlikely confluence of history and genetics — the fact that he is African-American and president — Barack Obama has a unique opportunity to reshape the debate over one of the most contentious issues of America’s racial legacy: reparations, the idea that the descendants of American slaves should receive compensation for their ancestors’ unpaid labor and bondage.

There are many thorny issues to resolve before we can arrive at a judicious (if symbolic) gesture to match such a sustained, heinous crime. Perhaps the most vexing is how to parcel out blame to those directly involved in the capture and sale of human beings for immense economic gain.

While we are all familiar with the role played by the United States and the European colonial powers like Britain, France, Holland, Portugal and Spain, there is very little discussion of the role Africans themselves played. And that role, it turns out, was a considerable one, especially for the slave-trading kingdoms of western and central Africa. These included the Akan of the kingdom of Asante in what is now Ghana, the Fon of Dahomey (now Benin), the Mbundu of Ndongo in modern Angola and the Kongo of today’s Congo, among several others.

For centuries, Europeans in Africa kept close to their military and trading posts on the coast. Exploration of the interior, home to the bulk of Africans sold into bondage at the height of the slave trade, came only during the colonial conquests, which is why Henry Morton Stanley’s pursuit of Dr. David Livingstone in 1871 made for such compelling press: he was going where no (white) man had gone before.

How did slaves make it to these coastal forts? The historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. The sad truth is that without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred.

Advocates of reparations for the descendants of those slaves generally ignore this untidy problem of the significant role that Africans played in the trade, choosing to believe the romanticized version that our ancestors were all kidnapped unawares by evil white men, like Kunta Kinte was in “Roots.” The truth, however, is much more complex: slavery was a business, highly organized and lucrative for European buyers and African sellers alike.

The African role in the slave trade was fully understood and openly acknowledged by many African-Americans even before the Civil War. For Frederick Douglass, it was an argument against repatriation schemes for the freed slaves. “The savage chiefs of the western coasts of Africa, who for ages have been accustomed to selling their captives into bondage and pocketing the ready cash for them, will not more readily accept our moral and economical ideas than the slave traders of Maryland and Virginia,” he warned. “We are, therefore, less inclined to go to Africa to work against the slave trade than to stay here to work against it.”

To be sure, the African role in the slave trade was greatly reduced after 1807, when abolitionists, first in Britain and then, a year later, in the United States, succeeded in banning the importation of slaves. Meanwhile, slaves continued to be bought and sold within the United States, and slavery as an institution would not be abolished until 1865. But the culpability of American plantation owners neither erases nor supplants that of the African slavers. In recent years, some African leaders have become more comfortable discussing this complicated past than African-Americans tend to be.

In 1999, for instance, President Mathieu Kerekou of Benin astonished an all-black congregation in Baltimore by falling to his knees and begging African-Americans’ forgiveness for the “shameful” and “abominable” role Africans played in the trade. Other African leaders, including Jerry Rawlings of Ghana, followed Mr. Kerekou’s bold example.

Our new understanding of the scope of African involvement in the slave trade is not historical guesswork. Thanks to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, directed by the historian David Eltis of Emory University, we now know the ports from which more than 450,000 of our African ancestors were shipped out to what is now the United States (the database has records of 12.5 million people shipped to all parts of the New World from 1514 to 1866). About 16 percent of United States slaves came from eastern Nigeria, while 24 percent came from the Congo and Angola.

[/b]@Kails

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
MY SISTA AM LOADED WITH MORE INFO AND WILL BRING IT TO YOUR THREAD AS U INVITED ME TO BRING IT THERE. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
FEEL FREE TO VISIT ME ON "SOUTH AFRICA IS WORSER THAN NIGERIA THREAD" IT WAS STARTED BY THE "JEALOUS NATION/IGBOS".

MOST OF THE TIME AM HERE. BLOGGING WITH PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE GLOBE.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=86117966

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Kails
THATS NOT EVEN CAPE TOWN BUT STRAND, SA IS BLESSED WITH BEAUTIFUL CITIES. EVEN BRAZILIANS COME AND CONFESS THAT RIO HAS ALOT OF COMPETTITION IN S.A. THESE BEAUTIFUL CITIES AND "CRIBBS" START FROM SOUTH MOZAMBIQUE GO AROUND TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN SHORELINE(Am sorry SA shoreline is many times bigger than naai-gerias) ALL THE WAY UP TO SOUTH NAMIBIA.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
What's happening everyone?

Where is the King? Can someone tell me

ALL HAIL BIGFRANCIS21 KING OF THE IGBO'S!!!!! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Pasting all these extraneous facts doesn't change anything neither does it add to the wealth of information we already know. Records indicate that Bight of Biafra(Eboe particularly) dominated Maryland and Virginia, and sprinkles of Eboes were also found in Louisiana, South carolina, Georgia, New York, Kentucky. Many authors agree on this. So coming here to post irrelevant facts doesn't change anything. Even the so-called pasted facts still confirms the same thing other authors agree on. Little wonder the State of Virginia decided to erect a full Igbo Village in Staunton, Virginia, in memory of the huge role Igbo slaves played in Virginia. Igbo Nsibidi writings have been discovered on former graveyards of slaves in Virginia which also strongly attests to the huge Igbo presence. At a point, Eboes dominated Virginia so much that Virginia was nicknamed, 'New Eboeland'. The state of Maryland has also confirmed that the Igbo people particularly dominated in Maryland.

The Eboes didn't just force themselves on ships and forced themselves to US and Caribbean. Instead, the whites kept coming back and back to Bight of Biafra looking for more Eboe slaves. Despite being suicidal and rebellious, they couldn't do without the Eboes as they valued their industry, strength, well-formed physical nature, knowledge about agriculture etc and hence kept sailing out in the Atlantic Ocean heading for Ports of Bonny and Calabar in purchase of more Eboes. Their strength made them to be used as field slaves to work in fields - a job of which physical exertion, drudgery and body strength were required. Field jobs definitely wasn't for the physically weak. You had to be strong physically in order to be sent out to the fields. Ethnicities whose physical attributes were not suitable enough for field jobs were employed as house servants instead.

DNA testing remains the major proof of the huge Igbo contribution to the transatlantic slave trade. And DNA testing has continued to prove Dr. Chambers Douglas reseach conclusion, 'At least 60% of African Americans have at least 1 Igbo ancestor' right. DNA testing is very efficient and I'm very much in support of it. cheesy

Several slave accounts written by former Eboe slaves exists. Eboes such as Olaudah Ekwuano, Monteith Aniaso, Nwoma Ofodobendu etc have all written their slave acccounts. Below is a slave account of an Eboe slave and his slave life in the state of Georgia.

SLAVE LIFE IN GEORGIA:
A NARRATIVE OF THE LIFE, SUFFERINGS, AND ESCAPE OF JOHN BROWN, A Fugitive Slave,
NOW IN ENGLAND.

CHAPTER I.
MY CHILDHOOD AND FIRST TROUBLES.
My name is John Brown. How I came to take it, I will explain in due time. When in Slavery, I was called Fed. Why I was so named, I cannot tell. I never knew myself by any other name, nor always by that; for it is common for slaves to answer to any name, as it may suit the humour of the master. I do not know
how old I am, but think I may be any age between thirty-five and forty. I fancy I must be about thirty-seven or eight; as nearly as I can guess. I was raised on Betty Moore's estate, in Southampton County, Virginia, about three miles from Jerusalem Court house and the little Nottoway river. My mother belonged to Betty Moore. Her name was Nancy; but she was called Nanny. My father's name was Joe. He was owned by a planter named Benford, who lived at Northampton, in the same State. I believe my father
and his family were bred on Benford's plantation. His father had been stolen from Africa. He was of the Eboe tribe. I remember seeing him once, when he came to visit my mother. He was very black. I never saw him but that one time, and though I was quite small, I have a distinct recollection of him. He
and my mother were separated, in consequence of his master's going further off, and then my mother was forced to take another husband. She had three children by my father; myself, and a brother and sister, twins. My brother's name was Silas, and my
sister's Lucy. My mother's second husband's name was Lamb. He was the property of a neighbouring planter and miller named Collier.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/jbrown/jbrown.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:13am On Sep 17, 2013
bigfrancis21: Pasting all these extraneous facts doesn't change anything neither does it add to the wealth of information we already know. Records indicate that Bight of Biafra(Eboe particularly) dominated Maryland and Virginia, and sprinkles of Eboes were also found in Louisiana, South carolina, Georgia, New York, Kentucky. Many authors agree on this. So coming here to post irrelevant facts doesn't change anything. Even the so-called pasted facts still confirms the same thing other authors agree on. Little wonder the State of Virginia decided to erect a full Igbo Village in Staunton, Virginia, in memory of the huge role Igbo slaves played in Virginia. Igbo Nsibidi writings have been discovered on former graveyards of slaves in Virginia which also strongly attests to the huge Igbo presence. At a point, Eboes dominated Virginia so much that Virginia was nicknamed, 'New Eboeland'. The state of Maryland has also confirmed that the Igbo people particularly dominated in Maryland.

The Eboes didn't just force themselves on ships and forced themselves to US and Caribbean. Instead, the whites kept coming back and back to Bight of Biafra looking for more Eboe slaves. Despite being suicidal and rebellious, they couldn't do without the Eboes as they valued their industry, strength, well-formed physical nature, knowledge about agriculture etc and hence kept sailing out in the Atlantic Ocean heading for Ports of Bonny and Calabar in purchase of more Eboes. Their strength made them to be used as field slaves to work in fields - a job of which physical exertion, drudgery and body strength were required. Field jobs definitely wasn't for the physically weak. You had to be strong physically in order to be sent out to the fields. Ethnicities whose physical attributes were not suitable enough for field jobs were employed as house servants instead.

DNA testing remains the major proof of the huge Igbo contribution to the transatlantic slave trade. And DNA testing has continued to prove Dr. Chambers Douglas reseach conclusion, 'At least 60% of African Americans have at least 1 Igbo ancestor' right. DNA testing is very efficient and I'm very much in support of it. cheesy

Several slave accounts written by former Eboe slaves exists. Eboes such as Olaudah Ekwuano, Monteith Aniaso, Nwoma Ofodobendu etc have all written their slave acccounts. Below is a slave account of an Eboe slave and his slave life in the state of Georgia.

SLAVE LIFE IN GEORGIA:
A NARRATIVE OF THE LIFE, SUFFERINGS, AND ESCAPE OF JOHN BROWN, A Fugitive Slave,
NOW IN ENGLAND.

CHAPTER I.
MY CHILDHOOD AND FIRST TROUBLES.
My name is John Brown. How I came to take it, I will explain in due time. When in Slavery, I was called Fed. Why I was so named, I cannot tell. I never knew myself by any other name, nor always by that; for it is common for slaves to answer to any name, as it may suit the humour of the master. I do not know
how old I am, but think I may be any age between thirty-five and forty. I fancy I must be about thirty-seven or eight; as nearly as I can guess. I was raised on Betty Moore's estate, in Southampton County, Virginia, about three miles from Jerusalem Court house and the little Nottoway river. My mother belonged to Betty Moore. Her name was Nancy; but she was called Nanny. My father's name was Joe. He was owned by a planter named Benford, who lived at Northampton, in the same State. I believe my father
and his family were bred on Benford's plantation. His father had been stolen from Africa. He was of the Eboe tribe. I remember seeing him once, when he came to visit my mother. He was very black. I never saw him but that one time, and though I was quite small, I have a distinct recollection of him. He
and my mother were separated, in consequence of his master's going further off, and then my mother was forced to take another husband. She had three children by my father; myself, and a brother and sister, twins. My brother's name was Silas, and my
sister's Lucy. My mother's second husband's name was Lamb. He was the property of a neighbouring planter and miller named Collier.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/jbrown/jbrown.html

Why are you so passionate about this Bigfrancis21?

Why does it matter to you?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 17, 2013
Jayvarley:

Why are you so passionate about this Bigfrancis21?

Why does it matter to you?
grin I guess that's eating you up badly. He's passionate about his people and your here calling him tribal. cheesy Bigfrancisn, bring it on, I'm enjoying these researches. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:47am On Sep 17, 2013
slimmy05: grin I guess that's eating you up badly. He's passionate about his people and your here calling him tribal. cheesy Bigfrancisn, bring it on, I'm enjoying these researches. grin

I don't see how it's eating me up, after all I am not the one trying to prove a connection! cheesy

African Americans generally are not concerned with tribes, they are descended from many tribes,

Or don't tell me you didn't know?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 17, 2013
Jayvarley:

I don't see how it's eating me up, after all I am not the one trying to prove a connection! cheesy

African Americans generally are not concerned with tribes, they are descended from many tribes,

Or don't tell me you didn't know?

You are derailing the thread. Stop being jealous of the Igbos. If you can read the title of the thread properly you won't come here saying rubbish. He is concerned about the Igbo's, so what's your headache in that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.