Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,312 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114315 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 8:55pm On Sep 23, 2013
I just thought of the PERFECT contemporary example.

Egypt

Egypt was finally free of being ruled by foreign powers and dictators. The possibilities of the Arab Spring were endless. Then a group of people tried to seize power for their own selfish ends (religious fundamentalists), and it has led to chaos. Egypt is on the precipice of civil war. All that potential is being wasted.

Some are now calling it the Arab Winter.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2013
nnenna.1:

Kairoseki77 You are evil and sick.

You need help!

Military men commited a coup and were killed in retaliation. In addition to this innocent military officers were killed in revenge.

Instead of these killings to have died at the elite level, the masses took arms over Igbos who HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COUP. TENS OF THOUSANDS OF IGBO MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

AND YOU ARE SAYING THAT IT WAS JUSTIFIED?

YOU ARE AN EVIL MAN. YOU ARE SICK AND PSYCHOTIC.

I never said it was justified.

I said that it happened and I explained WHY it happened.

That's all.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 23, 2013
God forgive me.

I'm not sure at this point how NL has enriched me spiritually and why I still log on here.

It is only a breeding ground for hatred.

A playground of the devil.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 23, 2013
bigfrancis21: Mr. Ojukwu went on exile to another West African country to escape being arrested as a traitor and sent to jail

grin grin grin grin

Joker! Ojukwu ran away with his family and left every other soul to fend for themselves.

I don't mean to rubbish your self glorifying epistle though, just thought that part was funny considering everyone knew what actually happened.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 23, 2013
The pogrom was indeed unfortunate sha, but when you know how sensitive some people can be I think a rational person would not want to provoke them.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:12pm On Sep 23, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Point out a million and one things I have done wrong, and I will own all of them.

I was taught that a man owns his actions and that cowards look away. It might have been old fashioned...

Nothing I said was a lie. Anyone can verify what I wrote. This is 2013. The truth is just a click away.

Don't shame your people, or yourself, by saying it was all lies. That is pathetic behavior.

Mr. Man you can't suddenly turn around and change history. The real facts are everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War
http://www.africamasterweb.com/BiafranWarCauses.html
http://www.war-memorial.net/Nigerian-Civil-War--3.140
http://emeagwali.com/photos/biafra/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/596712.stm

The real Biafran war story is everywhere on the internet. Stop twisting and making up facts.

Moreover stop turning this thread into a politics section.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 23, 2013
Evil people here.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 9:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
Big Francis a lot of what you wrote is factually inaccurate.

1. I mentioned the pogroms severally. Maybe you should actually read my post.

2. There was no "build up of resentment" against the Igbo. This is a lie. Proven by the election of Nnamadi Azikwe to be the first President of Nigeria.

3. There were no "several coups taking place". This is an abject lie. Nigeria became independent in 1960. During the first three years we were a parliamentary Government. We had a Northern Region, Western Region, and Eastern Region that were run by elected leaders. There were ZERO coups. In 1963 we switched to an American style democracy and Azikwe became President. The Igbo coup was the FIRST in Nigeria.

4. The Igbo coup was carried out by NORTHERNERS and Igbos. Ironsi, the Igbo that orchestrated the coup, declared the coup "illegal" and proceeded to execute every Northerner who participated. Then he installed himself as Military Head of State and surrounded himself with fellow Igbos.

5. "Igbo domination" wasn't about some theoretical penchant for success. It was about the very real and present danger posed by Igbos overturning democracy and assuming control of the government.

6. The tribes to whom the oil belonged (Ijaw, etc) all resisted Biafra and fought against it.

7. Nigeria did not start the war. Ojukwo declared the Eastern Region independent and then there were SEVERAL attempt to negotiate a solution. The most famous of which was the Aburi Accord, which was held in Ghana. The talks fell apart. As a result of those talks many things were done to protect the Igbo from the rage of the common man. Most importantly, it was agreed that all Igbo soldiers serving in the military should be allowed to return, unmolested, to Igboland.

8. No one forced Biafra to go to war without adequate weapons. That was a poor tactical decision. The likes of which are made by the losers of wars throughout history.

Look, just be honest. Your post is packed with outright lies.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 9:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
nnenna.1:
God forgive me.

I'm not sure at this point how NL has enriched me spiritually and why I still log on here.

It is only a breeding ground for hatred.

A playground of the devil.

What does history have to do with hatred?

White people enslaved black people. It was wrong and evil. Would you call someone evil for mentioning it? Of course not.

I didn't participate in the pogroms, I simply laid bare the reason that it took place. Calling me evil because of it is baseless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:32pm On Sep 23, 2013
Keep propagating your lies. Its clear you're not intelligent. You're on your own league. And whatever aim you had by bringing up the fake history you did has failed woefully like a fallen pack of cards.

Not everybody wishes to dwell in your level of hatred and strife. You can't draw everybody down to your base level.

Have a nice day.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
No one elected Azikiwe president. Just had to point that out.

I don't know about the West, but there was definitely, undeniably, a fairly high-level resentment against Igbos in the North before the Jan 66 coup.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
bigfrancis21: Keep propagating your lies. Its clear you're not intelligent. You're on your own league. And whatever aim you had by bringing up the fake history you did has failed woefully like a fallen pack of cards.

Not everybody wishes to dwell in your level of hatred and strife. You can't draw everybody down to your base level.

Have a nice day.

The thing that really scares me, is that by telling yourself lies, you have avoided learning from your mistakes.

The same arrogant attitude, mixed with victim mentality, is still very much present amongst your people.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It is a fate I hope your people avoid.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 23, 2013
And I don't understand ur number 4.

Some ijaws, ibibio/Efiks were loyal to the Biafra cause. In the decision to secede, prominent members of the Eastern minorities took part.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 9:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: No one elected Azikiwe president. Just had to point that out.

I don't know about the West, but there was definitely, undeniably, a fairly high-level resentment against Igbos in the North before the Jan 66 coup.

We had a parliamentary system, as I stated. Nnamadi was elected President the same way it is done in every Parliamentary system. He was voted in.

He was unique in that he was President during the transition to a bicameral republic. He would have had to run for reelection under the modern system.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 9:49pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: And I don't understand ur number 4.

Some ijaws, ibibio/Efiks were loyal to the Biafra cause. In the decision to secede, prominent members of the Eastern minorities took part.

Some, is the operative word there.

Anyway, I think BigFrancis was under the impression that I wrote all of that to sway one man's opinion of his tribe.

That wasn't the point. I don't have THAT much free time, lol.

I wrote it to the Igbos and Yoruba who were bickering on this thread. Igbos are making the same mistakes they made in the past, and it is worrying.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 23, 2013
Same mistakes as Igbos in the past made -

Which mistake did the thousands of slaughtered women, men and children make

Which mistake did the misplaced Igbos from all over Nigeria make

Kairoseki77:

Some, is the operative word there.

Anyway, I think BigFrancis was under the impression that I wrote all of that to sway one man's opinion of his tribe.

That wasn't the point. I don't have THAT much free time, lol.

I wrote it to the Igbos and Yoruba who were bickering on this thread. Igbos are making the same mistakes they made in the past, and it is worrying.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 23, 2013
Kairoseki77:

We had a parliamentary system, as I stated. Nnamadi was elected President the same way it is done in every Parliamentary system. He was voted in.

He was unique in that he was President during the transition to a bicameral republic. He would have had to run for reelection under the modern system.

Zik was ceremonial president, not an executive head. No one elected him. NPC (Northern peoples' party) won the highest votes. Zik's party then formed a coalition with NPC. Balewa became Prime minister (the one with real power) and Zik became ceremonial president (a mere figurehead).

Again, the Nigerian people didnot elect Zik president.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:46pm On Sep 23, 2013
django1:

grin grin grin grin

Joker! Ojukwu ran away with his family and left every other soul to fend for themselves.

I don't mean to rubbish your self glorifying epistle though, just thought that part was funny considering everyone knew what actually happened.

Ojukwu went on exile considering the tensions of the environment that time. Why is it only on NL where people give false meaning to stories?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:54pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: And I don't understand ur number 4.

Radoillo:

Zik was ceremonial president, not an executive head. No one elected him. NPC (Northern peoples' party) won the highest votes. Zik's party then formed a coalition with NPC. Balewa became Prime minister (the one with real power) and Zik became ceremonial president (a mere figurehead).

Keep pointing out the facts to him. The only group that seemed to be on the Nigerian side was the Ikwerre, a turnaround of which happened later in the Civil war period.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 11:16pm On Sep 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Keep pointing out the facts to him. The only group that seemed to be on the Nigerian side was the Ikwerre, a turnaround of which happened later in the Civil war period.

You've been exposed to be a poorly informed liar. Let adults speak and stay silent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 11:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo:

We are both saying the same thing.

That is how a parliamentary system works. The public in the UK did not elect David Cameron. Parliament voted him into power. It was the same for Azikwe.

As I said, he is unique as he was a transitional figure between two forms of Government. We were a parliamentary system, that was transiting to a bicameral democratic republic (like we are today).

Whether or not the Presidency was a ceremonial position is beside the point. There was an election, that election produced the members of "parliament", and that parliament chose Azikwe to be the first President of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Ojukwu went on exile considering the tensions of the environment that time. Why is it only on NL where people give false meaning to stories?

No, ojukwu told his cabinet he was going in search of peaceful resolution (its on record) to the war, but he left and never came back. In other words he ran off leaving everyone else to their fate.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:34am On Sep 24, 2013
Kairoseki77:

You've been exposed to be a poorly informed liar. Let adults speak and stay silent.

This is coming from the main liar himself who claimed Igbos declared war on Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:37am On Sep 24, 2013
Karioseki and cohorts, you people are derailing this thread. Stop turning this thread into a political debate. This is the same person that claimed Igbos derailed the original topic of this thread now doing the same himself.

Take your political mischief and lies right back to the politics section where you jumped out from. Have you finished canvassing for the 'Enugu pride of the East' thread to be moved out of the politics section only for your efforts to fail?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:39am On Sep 24, 2013
django1:

No, ojukwu told his cabinet he was going in search of peaceful resolution (its on record) to the war, but he left and never came back. In other words he ran off leaving everyone else to their fate.

That doesn't make him a coward, does it? At least the Igbo people are not known to be cowards today. Of course you know who the people are. wink grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by ozoemeka(m): 9:17pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hahaa...

Let me tell you something. I am Portuguese-Nigerian American and so I can relate to both cultures. Take heed: Nigerian men are different, yes. Culturally. But don't be fooled. Nigerian men are MEN. In fact, they are one of the most suave sweet-talking men (compared to African-American "standards"wink .
A nigerian man believes in family - he grew up THAT WAY so it is nothing "exceptional" (as it is for a Black man to be about starting a family AND remaining there as a PRESENT father figure) however, to the "typical" american, it is exceptional that a "man" wants and desires a family.

He is not FIRST AND FOREMOST about sex. He LOVES/WANTS sex but is "taught" that there is a "route" to sex. AKA see a girl, chase the girl, girl plays coy, guy plays smart, uses lines and techniques to bed her, then dates her. Of course, there are variations. The "Black man" is "conditioned to think like a rap music video - see a girl, ask her for her number (mind you a nigerian boy might know a girl for weeks before asking for her number - this is almost "normal" in a nigerian sense vs american sense), invite her to come "chill", have sex THEN decide if you want to date.

A nigerian boy's definition of a date is MUCH MORE than "Dinner and a movie". He is taught, (and believed) in serenading a woman he is interested in. Whereas in "american terms" that is a "simp" / "wuss" / "pus $y" / "bi-ch boy" who is "whipped" or acting whipped. A nigerian man sees it as a means to display his "capabilities" (financial and otherwise). See a nigerian boy meeting a ho (aka a cheap easy girl) will STILL serenade her to get kitten, not because he is whipped or a bitch, BUT because he is taught THAT IS HOW TO GET kitten. Meanwhile a Black man will ONLY SERENADE A GIRL HE IS interested in WIFE-ing up. So when a black girl sees a black boy serenading her she THINKS she is "the one" for him.

Separate cultural differences from his personality. Nigerians are one of the MOST ARROGANT people you will come across. I am Igbo too, and I can tell you Igbo boys (especially when we are FINE) can be the COCKIEST motherF%cker you know. Tread cautiously. Because an Igbo boy will take your heart to the clouds and leave you hanging before you realize what happened.

Sincere08: Hello everyone,

I want to start by saying I am an African American woman under the age of 21. I recently have met an Igbo man. He's very sweet and kind, however I have read many things (although I don't believe everything I hear) and I would like some advice. To tell you a little more, studying takes up a great deal of my time. So I was not seeking a partner. I only have dated african american men, but I have been known to prefer darker skin.

I immediately noticed cultural differences within the first conversation. I am interested, I like the fact that he understands my family and school comes first. I will answer any further questions you may have about the relationship with no problem. Well friendship, like I previously stated we have not know each other long. To get to the point, he discusses many things with me about how Nigerians feel about Americans. He often compares me saying, "you are very different, such high morals to be American." Do many Nigerians share the view that a lot of Americans don't respect marriage? And that American women can be uncaring? If so, can a Nigerian truely care about an American that is considered to be "different" from what you're use to hearing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies
-Peace & LoveĀ  smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:32am On Sep 25, 2013
Seal is ugly.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 11:33am On Sep 25, 2013
ozo_emeka: Hahaa...

Let me tell you something. I am Portuguese-Nigerian American and so I can relate to both cultures. Take heed: Nigerian men are different, yes. Culturally. But don't be fooled. Nigerian men are MEN. In fact, they are one of the most suave sweet-talking men (compared to African-American "standards"wink .
A nigerian man believes in family - he grew up THAT WAY so it is nothing "exceptional" (as it is for a Black man to be about starting a family AND remaining there as a PRESENT father figure) however, to the "typical" american, it is exceptional that a "man" wants and desires a family.

He is not FIRST AND FOREMOST about sex. He LOVES/WANTS sex but is "taught" that there is a "route" to sex. AKA see a girl, chase the girl, girl plays coy, guy plays smart, uses lines and techniques to bed her, then dates her. Of course, there are variations. The "Black man" is "conditioned to think like a rap music video - see a girl, ask her for her number (mind you a nigerian boy might know a girl for weeks before asking for her number - this is almost "normal" in a nigerian sense vs american sense), invite her to come "chill", have sex THEN decide if you want to date.

A nigerian boy's definition of a date is MUCH MORE than "Dinner and a movie". He is taught, (and believed) in serenading a woman he is interested in. Whereas in "american terms" that is a "simp" / "wuss" / "pussy" / "bitch boy" who is "whipped" or acting whipped. A nigerian man sees it as a means to display his "capabilities" (financial and otherwise). See a nigerian boy meeting a ho (aka a cheap easy girl) will STILL serenade her to get kitten, not because he is whipped or a bitch, BUT because he is taught THAT IS HOW TO GET kitten. Meanwhile a Black man will ONLY SERENADE A GIRL HE IS interested in WIFE-ing up. So when a black girl sees a black boy serenading her she THINKS she is "the one" for him.

Separate cultural differences from his personality. Nigerians are one of the MOST ARROGANT people you will come across. I am Igbo too, and I can tell you Igbo boys (especially when we are FINE) can be the COCKIEST motherF%cker you know. Tread cautiously. Because an Igbo boy will take your heart to the clouds and leave you hanging before you realize what happened.

Lol. Now that is real. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Kairoseki77: 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
ozo_emeka: Hahaa...

A nigerian boy's definition of a date is MUCH MORE than "Dinner and a movie". He is taught, (and believed) in serenading a woman he is interested in. Whereas in "american terms" that is a "simp" / "wuss" / "pussy" / "bitch boy" who is "whipped" or acting whipped. A nigerian man sees it as a means to display his "capabilities" (financial and otherwise). See a nigerian boy meeting a ho (aka a cheap easy girl) will STILL serenade her to get kitten, not because he is whipped or a bitch, BUT because he is taught THAT IS HOW TO GET kitten. Meanwhile a Black man will ONLY SERENADE A GIRL HE IS interested in WIFE-ing up. So when a black girl sees a black boy serenading her she THINKS she is "the one" for him.

SMH, here comes another Igbo talking sh*t about AA's and stereotyping them.

Let's wait and see how long it takes for your brothers to start blaming your comments on the Hausa and Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.