Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,833 members, 7,824,469 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor (68772 Views)

"My Wife Is 21" - 60-Year-Old Kano Man Accused Of Marrying 11-Year-Old (Pix) / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / Man Who Accused A Pastor Of Marrying His Wife, Sets To Wed A New Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Kaysalas(m): 7:40am On Mar 23, 2021
damiloladuke:
one mistake many of us made and it is sounding like a curse now
Please explain, mistake of marrying early or marrying late?
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by bigpicture001: 7:43am On Mar 23, 2021
GloryGlory01:

You called this "crap". Please my friend, how much money do you think can satisfy a woman. You are a learner.

One is not aiming to satisfy any wife..its income to run the home more effectively....

Women turn love to hate if their isn't comfort in the home

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 7:44am On Mar 23, 2021
na2016:

You need money in marriage. In fact the more you stay with a lady, that thing called love, dies completely. It is actually the friendship that you have built with her and being able to provide for the home (money) that sustains the marriage.

Believe me money had never sustained any marriage. It's love, companionship and understanding that have sustained most marriages I know.

Running and providing for a home in modern societies does not lie with one partner only. If you legitimately make your money and not engaged in fraud or corruption, you will know that you need both partners contributing to sustaining the home. I know how much I spend on school fees, bills, medicals, groceries and others every month, and it's still not enough.
And my children are not in university yet. This is why I make sure my wife started a business, so she can also start contributing to the sustaining of the home. My aged mother is with me and I know how much her upkeep and medicals cost me.

I am always afraid of what happens to my family if I become incapacitated, have a financial disaster or even die. What will happen to the wellbeing of my children and my wife.

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Convention107: 7:44am On Mar 23, 2021
There are benefits in being young and no benefit in being poor, shotiye

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Liposure: 7:51am On Mar 23, 2021
safarigirl:

And what is wrong with having kids at 70, if that is when you are ready?

The best thing for kids is quality time with their parents, a lot of poor people don't get that with their children because they are working their asses off for chicken change, and come home too tired to bond with their kids. The same kids most of them will still send out to hawk items to help the family.

The same kids that are exposed to all sorts of paedophiles and predators because they have to live in shanties, and hawk in dangerous areas, kids that may never have a decent childhood because of poverty. You think if you marry at 22, and eventually make money at 48, it will make up for that missed childhood?

Only selfish people give birth when they cannot afford kids, because these selfish people have a selfish agenda that involves the kids growing up fast, so, they can foist
you are making sense

2 Likes

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 7:52am On Mar 23, 2021
bigpicture001:

One is not aiming to satisfy any wife..its income to run the home more effectively....

Women turn love to hate if their isn't comfort in the home

This is only the mindset of some poverty stricken blacks. Go to the Niger Delta and see numerous examples of women hustling for her family. Go to Warri, Sapele, Asaba, Benin and see women go to market, farms, etc. Most raise their children single handedly without doing olosho.

It's in the West here I see women feel they can sit at home all day and watch zee world or telemundo and have their husbands work himself to death, so they can buy the latest bags, shoes and phones.

2 Likes

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by na2016: 7:52am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

Believe me money had never sustained any marriage. It's love, companionship and understanding that have sustained most marriages I know.

Running and providing for a home in modern societies does not lie with one partner only. If you legitimately make your money and not engaged in fraud or corruption, you will know that you need both partners contributing to sustaining the home. I know how much I spend on school fees, bills, medicals, groceries and others every month, and it's still not enough.
And my children are not in university yet. This is why I make sure my wife started a business, so she can also start contributing to the sustaining of the home. My aged mother is with me and I know how much her upkeep and medicals cost me.

I am always afraid of what happens to my family if I become incapacitated, have a financial disaster or even die. What will happen to the wellbeing of my children and my wife.

Brother, believe me, your last paragraph says it all. Take away that money for 6 months and I will tell you that your wife may start behaving somehow.
I don't know how long you have been married as that may have contributed to form your opinion but I am talking from a point of experience and what I have seen happen to others. Over the years, the friendship (or companionship) which is a product of the love that was there initially is what really keeps this thing

2 Likes

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by bigpicture001: 7:57am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

This is only the mindset of some poverty stricken blacks. Go to the Niger Delta and see numerous examples of women hustling for her family. Go to Warri, Sapele, Asaba, Benin and see women go to market, farms, etc. Most raise their children single handedly without doing olosho.

It's in the West here I see women feel they can sit at home all day and watch zee world or telemundo and have their husbands work himself to death, so they can buy the latest bags, shoes and phones.

See this one oo...I stayed in the Niger delta for over ten years straight..all my friends have just their moms taking care of their needs..almost all homes are broken..is that one a good example..?

Men and wives living apart everywhere. E go shock you when e go happen,they there that wait for ladies to understand. They will dump ur ass if things go south even in marriage

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Ryan14(m): 7:59am On Mar 23, 2021
Got married at 22 . I'm 38 now and my first son is 15.
Sex? Incidentally, told my wife yesterday that we've had Sex 15,000 times since we came together 16yrs ago.
We are both less than 40 so, we can still kpansh like 10,000 times before we are both called to Glory.

We keep enjoying everyday as it comes. We've had the good and bad days too..In all, we keep keeping..
God's been faithful..
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 7:59am On Mar 23, 2021
na2016:

Brother, believe me, your last paragraph says it all. Take away that money for 6 months and I will tell you that your wife may start behaving somehow.
I don't know how long you have been married as that may have contributed to form your opinion but I am talking a point of experience and what I have seen happen to others.

For three years, I was jobless, penniless and had a new born son. My wife did not start behaving anyhow. She borrowed 100k from her brother and went to Cutonou to be bringing in bedsheets to be selling to friends and family. That sustained us for one year until I was able to get some construction contracts once again. I eternally remain greatful to her and never refuse any financial requests she makes.

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by seanwilliam(m): 8:00am On Mar 23, 2021
showafrica:

I tell you, but 50k na just 100$... Imagine what Nigeria has done to our brain that we gladly accept 100$ per month job and still go do thanks giving on top. Very sad indeed.

Hahah u funny o .. what of family man working as teacher earning 20k??
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Liposure: 8:00am On Mar 23, 2021
Eddodoh:
It baffles me when I hear some people talk about marriage as if it's an award or some kind of achievement.

In my area, once u haven't gotten any child outside wedlock or officially married, they see u as an irresponsible person or that something is wrong with u. And, I begin to wonder what kind of mentality is that.
This is africa. Where you are not fulfilled and accomplished until you're married.

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Chummynoni(m): 8:05am On Mar 23, 2021
bigpicture001:

See this one oo...I stayed in the Niger delta for over ten years straight..all my friends have just their moms taking care of their needs..almost all homes are broken..is that one a good example..?

Men and wives living apart everywhere. E go shock you when e go happen,they there that wait for ladies to understand. They will dump ur ass if things go south even in marriage
they will dump your ass??. all i see in this sentence is hasty generalisation. most ladies will dump your ass, but not all. being rich doesnt guarantee a successful marriage, and being poor doesnt always result to bad marriage. in nutshell, marriage is a very complicating institution. all i know is that no matter the challenge, woman wey go stay go stay. May God bless us all

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2021
Hmmmmmm
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by na2016: 8:08am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

For three years, I was jobless, penniless and had a new born son. My wife did not start behaving anyhow. She borrowed 100k from her brother and went to Cutonou to be bringing in bedsheets to be selling to friends and family. That sustained us for one year until I was able to get some construction contracts once again. I eternally remain greatful to her and never refuse any financial requests she makes.

Good, thank God for her then. This is quite rare nowadays. I have seen a man lost a job and the wife left him. So be grateful and treat her well.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by ospreywin(m): 8:11am On Mar 23, 2021
This post made a lot of sense and it's the reality... But people of unfortunate circumstances and victim of delayed marriage won't agree its the best thing to do. It's only fornicators, unserious people and those with the wrong partners that will want to delay marriage. If you're talking about financial stability, you all know it's an illusion or ask yourself why you haven't been financially stable to marry for the past 5 years you've been in pursuit of stability. Lastly, to some extent marriage is a opener of more sustenance if you're with the right person. Above all, don't ever think of marrying without including the interest of God, don't marry for the beauty and the sex adventure you think of having, marry because of God and see things turnaround for the better for you. I'm actually talking from experience...
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by gbami(m): 8:13am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

Are you serious? A woman is not expected to contribute a penny in marriage? And you got 261 likes. I now see that Nigeria is in deep shit with this stupid mindset. You mean to tell me that you expect over half the Nigerian population of women to rely only on the men to be productiv?

So what do you think women can offer to men in marriage? Only sex and child bearing? In that case why waste money educating and training female children, when they will only end up in the bedroom and kitchen.
I teach my daughter to be independent and not rely on anyone. That's the way we raise our daughters in the Niger Delta.
I don't know if you saw the word " expect " . She can decide to help or not. People won't blink an eye if she doesn't.

3 Likes

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 8:17am On Mar 23, 2021
na2016:

Good, thank God for her then. This is quite rare nowadays. I have seen a man lost a job and the wife left him. So be grateful and treat her well.

Then the marriage was never build on love but on lure.
I married by wife based on the commitment and love she showed right from beginning. She has her faults but materialism is not one of them. I believe materialism beclouds relationships and friendships. When I became broke all my friends and family ran away. I was alone with only my wife and my mother who was in the UK then. Today, I have no friends. I go to my office and just come home to my family.

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by gbami(m): 8:19am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

If that is your mind set, then I am sorry to say that you started your marriage on a wrong premise. Financial stability does not depend on the amount of money you have at the moment. It can change like the British weather.

Throughout your life you will pass through the highs and lows of financial stability. When I got married, I was living in a 3 bedroom flat in surulere and driving an almost brand new BMW 5 series. 3 years into marriage, I had some series of bad deals and all my financial security went south. I left surulere and moved to a much cheaper 3 bedroom flat in Ikorodu. Did my wive's love turn to resentment or the bleeped my landlord? No. She contributed in helping the family. By the time our first child came, she was the one doing business and I was taking care of our son.

In less than 5 years I was able to pick up again and things has been on an upward trajectory since.
Imagine how things would have turn out if I married the type of woman you are used to.

As I said, financial stability does not depend on the amount of cash you have at the moment. When Elon Musk was starting out, he slept at his office, showered at YMCA and lived (eat) on $1 a day. His girlfriend lived with him in his office. Today, he is the richest man in the world.
During your financial instabilities, were you able to provide the BASICS( food, water, clothes, shelter no matter how minimal) for your family? That's what I am saying...basics should be in one's view before thinking of marrying.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by gbami(m): 8:24am On Mar 23, 2021
choicesam:
My guy marriage is sweet when you are with the right companion, be it rich or poor it doesn't matter as far as both of you are willing to take the journey together, and yes this is coming from a happily married man.
Is not a matter of poor or rich...is a matter of providing Basic.
Shelter...when you marry will she live in the street?
Food..What will both of you eat
Clothes...will both of you walk naked.
Is not a matter of happily married or not when you were poor or rich...BASICS.
your wife wouldn't Marry you if she meets you in the without any of the above stuff I highlighted
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Liposure: 8:29am On Mar 23, 2021
Cocao:
Most people don't even realize that this article was talking about the relationship of people in a Western country. It is not so much applicable to the Nigerian clime. The points are well written and thoughtful, but may not fit the Nigerian narrative.
it doesn't even suit the western narrative becos they do things differently over there as the white man is not bothered by marriage like we africans

1 Like

Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by na2016: 8:30am On Mar 23, 2021
wirinet:

Then the marriage was never build on love but on lure.
I married by wife based on the commitment and love she showed right from beginning. She has her faults but materialism is not one of them. I believe materialism beclouds relationships and friendships. When I became broke all my friends and family ran away. I was alone with only my wife and my mother who was in the UK then. Today, I have no friends. I go to my office and just come home to my family.

Friends will mess you up!!! Well done brother...
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 8:32am On Mar 23, 2021
gbami:

I don't know if you saw the word " expect " . She can decide to help or not. People won't blink an eye if she doesn't.

If she decides not to help them we all lose - the whole family. She was wise enough to realise that for the long term wellbeing and survival of the family, she had to sustain the family while I recover my bearings. Since then, she has reaped a 100 fold that help. I paid for her to go to an expensive catering school, transportation, handouts and project fees apart from the tuition fees. I opened her own snacks outlet with a well equipped office attached. I am saving to send her on an advanced cake course abroad.

So you see, she invested wisely.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by RemoveKebab: 8:36am On Mar 23, 2021
All this worked in old day.
Op you even posted a pic of old days probably the 70s or 80s

Nigeria's standard of living was good then and can support family life even when unemployed.

Not now.
No go do pass yourself.
Have mercy on those innocent unborn kids suffering Nigeria's calamity.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by LINTUNE(m): 8:36am On Mar 23, 2021
Tannhauser:

The first sensible comment here...don't know why these young pups think money makes a good marriage. Although I was quite comfortable prior to getting married, the kind of money I made after marriage eenh? Just 8 months after my wife moved in with me, I looked at my account balances and I was like shocked Wish I had married earlier grin
Just pray for good wife who will bring you good fortune and stabilise your finances.
Stop patronising olosho una no go hear...
oga keep quiet, stop misleading people..at least u were comfortable before marriage, a young man that earns 150k monthly, with the help of a supportive woman, can venture into marriage, hoping to grow with his woman, I have no doubt about that..but let's be frank, how man of our youths in their 20s, earn even that meagre income (150k)...so how do.u expect a young man earning 50/60k monthly to marry, let alone a guy earning below 40k...just think na
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by wirinet(m): 8:48am On Mar 23, 2021
LINTUNE:
oga keep quiet, stop misleading people..at least u were comfortable before marriage, a young man that earns 150k monthly, with the help of a supportive woman, can venture into marriage, hoping to grow with his woman, I have no doubt about that..but let's be frank, how man of our youths in their 20s, earn even that meagre income (150k)...so how do.u expect a young man earning 50/60k monthly to marry, let alone a guy earning below 40k...just think na

What do you suggest should happen if a young man was earning N150k or more per month and then Covid 19 caught up with him. You know last year Coronavirus lockdown made millions of people lose their jobs or businesses. You think the wife should file for divorce immediately?

As I said a man cannot remain on a financial boom for ever or throughout marriage. You never even stop to think what happens if a husband dies (as men tend to die earlier due to excessive stress) and leave many children. Will the wife and children become destitute.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by CoolAmbience(m): 8:57am On Mar 23, 2021
James4358:
Marry when u r financialy stable. Trust me- that's d best time to marry. Maturiry also comes to play too, but that is secondary to a stable income.

What if your financial stability evaporates into thin air after you get married?

It takes maturity to understand certain things.

Getting married while young certainly is a great idea. This is undebatable as the gains are invaluable, as the OP rightly represented.

Unfortunately, many persons misconstrue youthfulness for foolishness, and old age for wisdom.

There isn't any such thing as a constant when it comes to financial stability, and there isn't a defined age bracket when and when not it can be achieved or lost.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by kaylo31(m): 9:13am On Mar 23, 2021
GloryGlory01:

The problem I have with your mindset is that you allow life to pass you by and then you put the blame on other people.
The same problem i have with your mindset, people have dug early graves for themselves all because of the "marry early" notion. You make it sound like it is a bed of roses if u marry early, same early marrieds are the ones begging me for money to buy diapers for their kids cos they werent ready all round wen they went into it. If i say no they will blame me for being stingy.
Allow everyone to follow their timeline pls, everyone must not marry early, some wont marry at all sef
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Psoul(m): 9:13am On Mar 23, 2021
You’ll have an easier time having kids, increase their chances of being healthy, and be better able to keep up with them.
While modern advances have allowed folks to postpone having children, the reality is that both men and women have a biological clock and having kids gets harder and riskier the longer you wait. The research shows that children of older fathers have increased risks for several physical and mental disorders compared to children of younger fathers.

This is the only thing that is close to the truth among all that were written up there.
Child bearing is easier with healthy babies provided you feed them well.

Another is growing up wt you children. They will be almost grown ups before u go into retirement.
You won't be training ur children into your weak age.
Re: The Benefits Of Marrying Young Even If You Are Poor by Goskia001(m): 9:14am On Mar 23, 2021
Electrochemistry:
Everybody has their best time There is no fixed age that people must tie the knot.

Thanks for this

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

When Cheating Husband Forgets His Phone Near Wife While Having Bathe(pictures) / My Wife Denies Me Sex Always / A Lady Has Cried Out That She Can't Get A Man Because Of Her Nose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.