Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,852 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall (62287 Views)

Lady Loses Job To 'Who Gave You My Number?' Question On WhatsApp / Lady Loses Employment Opportunity Over Semi-nude DP On Social Media / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Chachangi: 8:11am On Apr 03, 2021
Please , we should all stop saying “WHO IS THIS?” when we answer phone calls whether formal or informal.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by pocohantas(f): 8:13am On Apr 03, 2021
tojahh:
Abeg pocohantas give me your number make I call you o.

Them say na only girls den dey always give jobs. I get work for you for VI grin

Believe me. This story is fake! The op just dey jam talk up and down. How can an HR call you and not introduce himself? No matter the situation, even loan companies, when they call, they introduce themselves before going to business.
This na bullshit. The lady even asked *Who is this*? Why didn't the HR respond who he was? He want to play god so the girl will be begging him with tuoto. undecided

Call me biko, 08012345678.

I hope the pay would reach 80k? It should come with accommodation too. I can’t be entering bus from my house in Iyana Ipaja to VI o. I no wan die for Lagos. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by KingLion007(m): 8:13am On Apr 03, 2021
Churchill6767:
Very Good..Some people are just so uncultured.
Especially ladies
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Simplythebest: 8:15am On Apr 03, 2021
The HR person is also at fault here cus the person didn't follow bank policy when it comes to phone etiquette. Like as a customer care officer when ever u are calling a customer u have to first introduce your self to the person first before any other thing thats how it works. Onless the phone etiquette is also part of the HR requirements or interview for accepting some someone into the organization but if not the blame should not be on the lady alone cus we are all in this country and know what is happening. Pls we should not only put the blame on the lady only cus she is trying to be a on safer side to avoid stories that touches the heart but she should try to be patient sometimes to listen than talking much. Cus when u listen more u should be able to understand whats going on. Those people saying she didn't say hello is not necessary even in bank when we received calls we don't say hello. You will only said thank you for calling so so branch or unit then ur name and u ask how can u help or assist the person so not saying hello is not an offence.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 03, 2021
Some girls can be very rude, they lack manners.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by maasoap(m): 8:21am On Apr 03, 2021
Nicklaus619:

I was so pissed and disgusted by her foolish comment, angry but i did not answer her though, I just smile at her, dropped her at her gate as usual and drove home, immediately I got home, aunty has called me like 4 miss call, I eventually retuned her call and she started apologizing for speaking out of tone, I told her not to worry that everywhere good, but that was the last I drove her in my car, up till date she still apologizing, but I no longer give a fvck, most Nigeria ladies thinks every guy always want to toast them. well I shocked her, because my girlfriend is 100 times more endowed and beautiful than her, what could I be wanting from her biko cheesy

It is just who you are, not because your gf is more beautiful and endowed than her. Lol
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by adekS1(m): 8:32am On Apr 03, 2021
Many of them feel its relationship where they talk uncultured n feel entitled
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by maasoap(m): 8:32am On Apr 03, 2021
Richy4:

I beg to differ with you sir.... The HR is not at fault.... The fact that you started by introducing yourself does not mean it only work that way... It goes both ways..

If you call me for example and I don't know your number, What will it take me to say Hello richy4 speaking .. it's just like a default setting for me.... Then U will say hi to me by calling my name, then introduce yourself to me.... If due to certain reasons you forget to introduce yourself, thinking I know you and might recognize your voice... I will say may I know who is speaking please.... It's just common etiquette and manners.. she is mannerless.

You are one funny dude, you should know that. Someone called you and you're the one introducing yourself first? The fact that you made it a habit doesn't mean that that should be the standard for everyone. The person calling you already knew who he was calling, introducing yourself is not necessary. The person calling you is the one who needs to introduce him/herself. The only thing you owe him is the patience to hear him out.

when u said she should have been cautious as a job seeker, were you indirectly implying that she should pretend to be nice while speaking to You as a HR then later unleash the stuff she was made of while working with customers?.. .No wonder mannerless people occupy customer service positions if U as someone working with HR couldn't see what the other HR saw... .

He made it clear that the girl was also at fault, just that the HR man wasn't entirely blameless. So, why saying that he didn't see what HR saw?

I'm glad that the experienced HR dictated it early.. there were lot of mannerless people in the bank those days especially in First Bank.. Imagine adding this one to their statistics... though I don't know if they were still like that..

That HR if you asked me, lacks experience. At least, he didn't make use of it.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

I hope the pay would reach 80k? It should come with accommodation too. I can’t be entering bus from my house in Iyana Ipaja to VI o. I no wan die for Lagos. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

grin grin grin
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by colestephan86: 8:38am On Apr 03, 2021
Wisemfon:
A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle
In my opinion her response isn't enough to make her loose the job, there is something called paradigm shift,does the HR know what she was going through at that time?
It's stupid Nigerian businesses that does that, multinationals won't do that to their new staffs

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by uuzba(m): 8:39am On Apr 03, 2021
Chachangi:
Please , we should all stop saying “WHO IS THIS?” when we answer phone calls whether formal or informal.

Why not?
Nigeria is completely filled up with 419ers and kidnappers. Why should I pretend that all is well and answer a strange number with, "Hello"?
Your number is strange on my phone, therefore, "WHO IS THIS".
On a good day, "WHO THE Bleep IS THIS"?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 03, 2021
I dont know what our problem is
But I feel that millions of parents have failed woefully in raising their kids right.
I worked in the customer services sector and if I tell you that I can count the number of people that have basic social skills best believe it.
Basic. Social Skills.
Pick up the phone with a greeting.
Answer like a human being with a future.
Answer whatsapp messages.Dont read and ignore.If you must leave,make it known.
A little bit of politeness goes a long way.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tojahh(m): 8:43am On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

You're rude! You dont have Nairaland etiquette. See the way you're asking questions. Infact all Nigeria girls are rude grin
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 03, 2021
uuzba:

Why not?
Nigeria is completely filled up with 419ers and kidnappers. Why should I pretend that all is well and answer a strange number with, "Hello"?
Your number is strange on my phone, therefore, "WHO IS THIS".
On a good day, "WHO THE Bleep IS THIS"?
Dont worry
When an unknown number calls you,place your phone near your anus and let it RIP as loud as you can.
You hear?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by uuzba(m): 8:45am On Apr 03, 2021
m140:

Exactly.... you read the writeup well and
You guys are sleeping.
I sent my CV to one agency.
A few days later, I received an SMS from whomever to go to a location for an interview.
And it turned out, those were GNLD people. Totally disconnected from the original people I sent my CV to.
In the interview, I showed them the SMS and they were just laughing.
So,
Why shouldn't I ask, "WHO IS THIS, HOW DID YOU GET MY NUMBER", on my next random phone call?
Is there no more sanctity and privacy of one's data again in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Queenmark: 8:46am On Apr 03, 2021
realokopi:
Pack your load and leave Nigeria na, mumu girl. You're one of those dumb and stupid Nigeria girls justifying the stupidity of another.

Thank you intelligent Nigerian boy.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by mastermaestro(m): 8:46am On Apr 03, 2021
seunny4lif:
Funny
Even in England, when they call you for Job interviews
Most times they will first confirm maybe they are talking to the right person before introducing themselves.
V: Hello
me: Hello
V: Is that .....
Me: Yes, and who am I speaking to?
V: Then they start

So because they do it in England makes it sensible? Please stop demeaning yourself.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Regex: 8:46am On Apr 03, 2021
JaneYave:
Phone etiquette is very needful. If only she listened more and answered the questions, the problem with us is that we voice out too many unreasonable things.

You are likely to do the same thing too if you were in her shoes. That's the glorious truth!
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by uuzba(m): 8:46am On Apr 03, 2021
TheWrita:

Dont worry
When an unknown number calls you,place your phone near your anus and let it RIP as loud as you can.
You hear?
I will do just that Because I speak to ONLY PEOPLE I HAVE MET FACE TO FACE, and TAKEN THEIR NUMBER in front of them.
NOBODY else!!!
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tonyashburton: 8:49am On Apr 03, 2021
[/b]#LoriIro
Banks and other blue chip organizations usually contact successful candidates by email [b]alone
Nobody has time and resources to be calling hundreds or thousands of candidates for interviews.
You just want clicks and likes.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by iamclime(m): 8:50am On Apr 03, 2021
Nicklaus619:
Nigeria ladies are so shallow-minded.
That was how I was innocently picking and dropping one lady in my department in the office with my car, the very day I bought my car and start driving it to work, we actually stay one estate apart and I thought it wise since she ain't mobile, let me be helping her, of which my fiance knew and was was cool with, fast forward to after 3 months of constant picking her in the morning and dropping her after work at her gate,

Aunty approached me one day and was like
Nick what do you really want from me because u can't be doing all of this and not wanting something in return?

I was so pissed and disgusted by her foolish comment, angry but i did not answer her though, I just smile at her, dropped her at her gate as usual and drove home, immediately I got home, aunty has called me like 4 miss call, I eventually retuned her call and she started apologizing for speaking out of tone, I told her not to worry that everywhere good, but that was the last I drove her in my car, up till date she still apologizing, but I no longer give a fvck, most Nigeria ladies thinks every guy always want to toast them. well I shocked her, because my girlfriend is 100 times more endowed and beautiful than her, what could I be wanting from her biko cheesy

Please buy 4 chilled bottles of Budweiser for yourself on my behalf! I'll pay anytime we meet grin Sense will not finish you.
The societal values and norms have gone down the drain. Any man trying to be nice to a lady now is usually imputed with ulterior motives. But please keep doing your best to be good.
You may accept the apologies of your colleague and continue helping her. You can tactfully and kindly explain to her that not all men are the same. That you are different. She must have learned her lesson anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Blackdisciple(m): 8:52am On Apr 03, 2021
That's why am very careful treating any number without a name calling me because I saved all my contacts with their names .

But some people say they don't pick strange numbers.

Ladies are fund of that, not responding well to strange numbers because they feel issa guy calling. Better adjust cos you might be missing opportunities always.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tolugar: 9:04am On Apr 03, 2021
natanyin:
Did you see her response first How can you pick a phone call and the very question you ask is" who is this"

Her response was aggressive and that is “professionally” rude.

Upon Answering an unknown caller,

She should’ve just said Hello and wait for a response.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:05am On Apr 03, 2021
Richy4:

Please, I want you to read this interview conversations between 2 job seekers and their HRs and answer the following questions Below smiley

<<<<FIRST JOBSSEEKER WITH HR

HR: Good day! Am I Speaking with XYZ

Job Seeker: Speaking

HR: Hello XYZ, My name is EFG from Abc Bank how are you doing to day?

Job seeker: I'm fine.

HR: You recently had an interview with us 2 weeks ago...I just want to formally congratulate you because you were among the candidate that
was successful bla bla bla...

<<<<<SECOND JOBSEEK SCENE

HR : Good day!! can I speak with XYZ?

Job seeker: Who is this? What do you want? how did you even get my number?

HR: Can I confirm if I'm speaking with XYZ

Jobseeker: If you don't want to tell me who you are just get off my phone ****Cut the call***

Now I have to ask you and I want you to be honest with your answers
<<<<In the first scenario interview, was all professional protocol followed by the HR?
<<<< what did you make out of the two job seekers?
<<<<< Assuming the second job seeker had manners, do you think it would have been effortless like the first?

N.B: I want to let you know that professionally asking first if one can speak to XYZ before introduction is not a wrong move because a lot of job seekers have children, relative etc that might be in possession of the job seeker's phones at that moment...professionals in advanced countries know that..It's like an unwritten rules... You can research it if you like..
Besides, Introducing yourself one million times when you are speaking with the wrong individual could be tiring and exhausting.
By the way, I was not doubting your membership of cipd... Being a member of CIPD stops no professional from knowing phone manners/ professional conversation ethics..

@Richy4. Have you heard of work culture? Society culture? Do you know average Nigerians answer or pick calls by being rude. (If they don't have the number in their contact)

What she did is what every average nigerians would do. I will go ahead and employ the one with bad phone manners because that's how average Nigerians answer phones. Also she knows she was rude to me i still give her the job that will make her be on best behaviour.

How about if your boss thats your superior said employ call miss xyz to resume next week and she was rude to you are you going to say cuz she was rude you won't recruit or employ her.

You seem like someone that like HR, one quality of HR personnel is to keep calm remember you hold all the cards to hiring and firing and best mood is when potential talents start saying sorry etc and you still offer them the job

Have a goid day sir.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Originalsly: 9:05am On Apr 03, 2021
Juliearth:

So, what exactly is your point? The crux of this matter is not the language used by the receiver, but the tone.

Has it not occurred to you that the HR may have deliberately skipped the introduction part just to test how the receiver would react? Whether Buckingham palace or Burundi, it pays to be courteous. We were not taught formal English solely for Buckingham palace dealings.

I am glad you know a thing about phone etiquette.

The HR's expectation is she should answer her private phone as if she were on the job. "Who is this?" was not acceptable... therefore answering in another language will also not be acceptable. "Who is this?" is a common way of answering informal calls or knocks on doors when the person doesn't know who is at the other end. The point of the matter is why didn't he identify himself? It tells a whole lot about a company when the HR representative doesn't have phone etiquette.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by uchetom(f): 9:14am On Apr 03, 2021
soundOsonic:
The HR for make am sweet by texting "aunty you don lose your employment be that, you no wan say hello ba, at least help me tell your village people hello no vex"

A real comedian spotted,����
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by uchetom(f): 9:22am On Apr 03, 2021
Queenmark:
Well the HR person lacked phone etiquette from my own opinion. If you call someone the first thing to do is introduce yourself before going further into the conversation.

HR personnels in Nigeria lack professional ethics they just feel they are important cause they interview people and you need a job.

uncle chop your job oo,you no buy fone give Biko, �� if am also calling a new contact I introduce myself and give reasons for calling o chimo.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:23am On Apr 03, 2021
tojahh:
Abeg pocohantas give me your number make I call you o.

Them say na only girls den dey always give jobs. I get work for you for VI grin

Believe me. This story is fake! The op just dey jam talk up and down. How can an HR call you and not introduce himself? No matter the situation, even loan companies, when they call, they introduce themselves before going to business.
This na bullshit. The lady even asked *Who is this*? Why didn't the HR respond who he was? He want to play god so the girl will be begging him with tuoto. undecided

Thank you someone finally reasoning. One thing i have learn here is NL are quick to judge without knowing the facts.

I think the op is about to spam NL after Easter for job so this thread is to plant the seed in applicants mind.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Jman06(m): 9:26am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.
The HR personnel is not at fault. I believe knowing the prospective employees phone etiquette and manners is a good strategy for screening out rude and mannerless people. So, it is better not to introduce yourself first when on such calls to avoid people feigning manners and pretending to be who they are not.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:27am On Apr 03, 2021
maasoap:

You are one funny dude, you should know that. Someone called you and you're the one introducing yourself first? The fact that you made it a habit doesn't mean that that should be the standard for everyone. The person calling you already knew who he was calling, introducing yourself is not necessary. The person calling you is the one who needs to introduce him/herself. The only thing you owe him is the patience to hear him out.

He made it clear that the girl was also at fault, just that the HR man wasn't entirely blameless. So, why saying that he didn't see what HR saw?

That HR if you asked me, lacks experience. At least, he didn't make use of it.

Yes if the story is true cuz HR no dey behave like that
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by pocohantas(f): 9:27am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Thank you someone finally reasoning. One thing i have learn here is NL are quick to judge without knowing the facts.

I think the op is about to spam NL after Easter for job so this thread is to plant the seed in applicants mind.

He doesn’t have such plans. This story is an old one, if you look at the too of the thread, you’ll see the link to a similar storyline.

Since all NL guys done turn to job-givers and na women be beneficiaries, make one call me. I want to resume on Tuesday. embarassed

tojahh:

You're rude! You dont have Nairaland etiquette. See the way you're asking questions. Infact all Nigeria girls are rude grin

Forgive me Sir. In your quiet time, just reconsider me.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by klarry79: 9:29am On Apr 03, 2021
HR: Dialed her number

Lady: picked d call.
Who is this? (Impolite Answer)

HR: Taken aback !!!
Am I speaking with miss xXxX?

Lady: How did you get my number?

HR: In shocked state!!
Before he could muster a reply

Lady: "If you ........get of my phone"

HR: Still shocked. Terminates call

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amcon Interview Next Phase! / 2021 Lagos State Teacher's Recruitment Begins / Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.