Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall - Jobs/Vacancies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall (62289 Views)

Lady Loses Job To 'Who Gave You My Number?' Question On WhatsApp / Lady Loses Employment Opportunity Over Semi-nude DP On Social Media / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by cyrilamx(m): 9:30am On Apr 03, 2021
BiggyB242:

A lot of women do this, another is when/a lady calls and you can't quite pick who's calling she immediately hang up as soon as you ask " who is this please" especially when she expects you to have her phone number.
I can relate with this. Most ladies do this alot. Probably u don't HV her contact again or u changed phone, simple who are you plz? Or May I know who is speaking plz, she will immediately end the call. That very neuseating attitude
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nicklaus619(m): 9:33am On Apr 03, 2021
iamclime:

Please buy 4 chilled bottles of Budweiser for yourself on my behalf! I'll pay anytime we meet grin Sense will not finish you.
The societal values and norms have gone down the drain. Any man trying to be nice to a lady now is usually imputed with ulterior motives. But please keep doing your best to be good.
You may accept the apologies of your colleague and continue helping her. You can tactfully and kindly explain to her that not all men are the same. That you are different. She must have learned her lesson anyway.

Yes bro, this actually happened towards February, she asked my girlfriend to plead on her behalf, I have since forgiven her, plus my rep now for her side don high, cos she now knows am a no nonsense person cheesy
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Originalsly: 9:33am On Apr 03, 2021
Saintp:

At the end if the day, it still boils down to manners. An applicant who is looking for a job should show restraint even when the other person messes up. An applicant needs the job more than the HR and should be more careful.

I once received a call from a HR years back. The phone rang
Me: Hello
HR: Hello, are my speaking with *******(my name)
I didn't want to say yes cos I don't know the person so I politely asked
Me: please may I know who is speaking?
HR: oh my bad, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I am ***** from ******
Me: Thanks. I am ******

We continued and at the end It was successful.
I think the girl should have been polite. HRs make mistakes quite alright but as someone who is looking for a job, I believe you should not allow the mistake of the HR to spoil your chance cos 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It is unacceptable for HR calling someone ... not as a private person... but officially... as a representative of the company.... to make a mistake with common phone courtesy. In companies with professional standards such an HR would face disciplinary action.... removed from the position.... or terminated.

ME ........ Hello
HR.... Am I speaking with Mr So N So?

Mistake?... really?
If he knows he made a mistake then he should overlook the response he received... regardless how crude. He either lacks common phone etiquette.... or is loaded with ego and is a spiteful person.

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nicklaus619(m): 9:34am On Apr 03, 2021
maasoap:

It is just who you are, not because your gf is more beautiful and endowed than her. Lol

Baba love no dey blind me oh, i dey see well well grin
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:35am On Apr 03, 2021
seunny4lif:
Funny
Even in England, when they call you for Job interviews
Most times they will first confirm maybe they are talking to the right person before introducing themselves.
V: Hello
me: Hello
V: Is that .....
Me: Yes, and who am I speaking to?
V: Then they start

Which part of England are you? I am in England trained HR personnel CIPD qualified member since 2016.

If they call you no matter your manberism i must still introduce myself also you know one can be sued

HR = hello
Applicant = who is this
HR = i am.mr xyz from abc company
Applicant= who gave you this number
HR= Calling because you've been shortlisted to start work next week

It is so simple.

Hr must be calm if you are here you should know

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:38am On Apr 03, 2021
Originalsly:

It is unacceptable for HR calling someone ... not as a private person... but officially... as a representative of the company.... to make a mistake with common phone courtesy. In companies with professional standards such an HR would face disciplinary action.... removed from the position.... or terminated.

ME ........ Hello
HR.... Am I speaking with Mr So N So?

Mistake?... really?
If he knows he made a mistake then he should overlook the response he received... regardless how crude. He either lacks common phone etiquette.... or is loaded with ego and is a spiteful person.

Omg reading your post gives me goosebumps. Na true u talk. Bottom line is NL or Nigerians are quick to judge i no believe the story because trained HR personnel cant do that trust me.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Issues40(m): 9:51am On Apr 03, 2021
Queenmark:
Well the HR person lacked phone etiquette from my own opinion. If you call someone the first thing to do is introduce yourself before going further into the conversation.

HR personnels in Nigeria lack professional ethics they just feel they are important cause they interview people and you need a job.

There's no other better way to say this please. The poor Nigerian mentality is what is really eating us up. If you called a person to take a job interview, what stops you from first introducing yourself? In this Nigeria with some many security issues? Some HR personnel need to study how things are done in the western world! That's why we are where we are today. How can you judge the efficiency, productivity and capability of a person just by how they answered a call? It is done like that in developed parts of the world
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Issues40(m): 9:54am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Which part of England are you? I am in England trained HR personnel CIPD qualified member since 2016.

If they call you no matter your manberism i must still introduce myself also you know one can be sued

HR = hello
Applicant = who is this

It is so simple.

Sadly the reverse is the case in Nigeria here.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 9:57am On Apr 03, 2021
Issues40:

Sadly the reverse is the case in Nigeria here.

God will give you your heart desires in Jesus name.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Jimmyubah2: 9:58am On Apr 03, 2021
tolugar:

She got it all wrong.

Because when an unfamiliar no calls, you say hello and wait for a response.

But she was aggressive in her response and that’s so bad.
She started the conversation and also ended it.
Like who's this? How did you get my number?
And lastly if you don't want to tell me your name then get out of my phone.
Haba!!! What was she feeling like?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 10:00am On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

He doesn’t have such plans. This story is an old one, if you look at the too of the thread, you’ll see the link to a similar storyline.

Since all NL guys done turn to job-givers and na women be beneficiaries, make one call me. I want to resume on Tuesday. embarassed

Lol you are funny. My prayer be say make God answer your prayer have faith woman
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by sharpwriter(m): 10:04am On Apr 03, 2021
Ishilove:

That's the problem with the world. We talk too much. This present generation cannot tolerate the sound of silence

Lol... And to think that you are of the older generation. But you ran away from the serenity and calmness of Ondo to embrace the crazy sounds of Lagos. Ondo's silence almost ran you mad!

Hahaha hahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by jojothaiv(m): 10:07am On Apr 03, 2021
soundOsonic:
The HR for make am sweet by texting "aunty you don lose your employment be that, you no wan say hello ba, at least help me tell your village people hello no vex"
grin
Ogbeni, na purgatory we go later drop once you cut out from here...
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by slimman007: 10:12am On Apr 03, 2021
Ishilove:

That's the problem with the world. We talk too much. This present generation cannot tolerate the sound of silence

Please say that is the problem of an average Nigerian many of us are uncultured and mannerless towards strangers mostly those we communicate with through phone.How can you be this rude and you expect God to bless you.People of such attitude I don't have atom of pity on them her village witches and wizard has succeeded in dealing with her.Attitude is everything
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Mayeldah(m): 10:13am On Apr 03, 2021
Hmmm,Patience and being courteous is the key.

As a Relationship Manager, I receive a lot of calls daily from clients and most times it is tiring.

But I discovered that some calls comes when I am tired and I may decide not to pick, but when I pick it turns out to be a new prospect that wants to sign up for our business.

Guess what, I make more money personally anytime I bring in a new business.

Some calls may not come at the right time, it may come when you needed space and needs to relax a little, but pick anyway and be civil.

It might be the call that will change your life for good.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nauttyprof(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.

There is no calling a spade a spade. Stop finding faults when the lady in question is 100% at fault.

The first step in any phone conversation is to first confirm the recipient before you introduce yourself or divulge any information. It is wrong to first introduce yourself when you are not certain of the recipient. Not even in this age and time when people can do anything to falsify identity.

I have received several international calls where they first confirm my identity before they introduce themselves and then talk about the services they render.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by AuroraB(f): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2021
Karlovych:
Why would you employ someone her blood is boiling? she should establish her own company with her boiling blood
Na only dawan you go see hold on to... sorry oooh grin cheesy
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by standout5: 10:21am On Apr 03, 2021
Moral of the incident.
A bad attitude can literally block love, blessings and destiny from finding you. Don’t be the reason you don’t succeed.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Kondomatic(m): 10:32am On Apr 03, 2021
E sure me say nah Pocohontas dey deny this job. E still dey pain her

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by observanc1: 10:34am On Apr 03, 2021
JaneYave:
Phone etiquette is very needful. If only she listened more and answered the questions, the problem with us is that we voice out too many unreasonable things.
the girl did nothing wrong. The bank didnt want to give her the job. There are lots of fraudulent calls these days. She asked the right questions and didnt get the right responses.
First thing when u call someone is to introduce yourself fully.
Banks dont offer employment by phone call. They write to you.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by observanc1: 10:36am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.
God bless you. Exactly same thing i said. When u a stranger, start by introducing yourself fully.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by observanc1: 10:39am On Apr 03, 2021
Nauttyprof:

There is no calling a spade a spade. Stop finding faults when the lady in question is 100% at fault.

The first step in any phone conversation is to first confirm the recipient before you introduce yourself or divulge any information. It is wrong to first introduce yourself when you are not certain of the recipient. Not even in this age and time when people can do anything to falsify identity.

I have received several international calls where they first confirm my identity before they introduce themselves and then talk about the services they render.
you are the one calling, it's your obligation to introduce yourself first.
Why should u confirm your identity to a stranger on phone. Be careful o. If na bad guy that wants to eliminate u, he will just cut the call after your confirmation.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 10:54am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
Well, as far as I am concerned, the phone call is a part of the recruitment process too. Who wants to have an uncouth person managing their clients?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by hotwax: 10:58am On Apr 03, 2021
its because girls sees every hi and hello as invitation for sex.

awon canoe soap brains
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by bizzibodi(m): 10:58am On Apr 03, 2021
tolugar:
Pls take NOTE

Still on call etiquette

When making an official call,

The person making the call have to first start with introduction like..

Hello, this is Mr. Mathew calling from Zet bank ,
Am I speaking with Mrs Grace?....

Most HRs get this wrong.

For security reasons, you don’t have to call someone and start asking their names and whereabouts.

Let’s be civilized
I disagree with you interview also involved interview yur xter & etiquette & only an anonymous call can expose that.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by bizzibodi(m): 11:05am On Apr 03, 2021
Most times i calls an unknown person..I starts with :Hello am i speaking with Jennifer.
Most replies I got is who is speaking-98%
For those that answers yes am Jennifer who am I speaking with please-2%
My people no body is going to kill you,scam you if you answer your name first then later ask the caller name.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by AerialMapper: 11:17am On Apr 03, 2021
Everyone is quick to blame the girl but is the HR officer totally blameless.

As a caller, the onus is on you to introduce yourself clearly to the person you are calling especially if you are a first time caller.

You wouldn't start a conversation with " am I speaking with xxxxxx?"

A proper approach would be, Good morning, my name is xxxxxxx, calling from xxxxxxx, am I speaking with xxxxxxx?

The story doesn't clearly state whether he introduced himself properly.

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Richy4(m): 11:17am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Have you heard of work culture? Society culture? Do you know average Nigerians answer or pick calls by being rude. (If they don't have the number in their contact)

What she did is what every average nigerians would do. I will go ahead and employ the one with bad phone manners because that's how average Nigerians answer phones. Also she knows she was rude to me i still give her the job that will make her be on best behaviour.

How about if your boss thats your superior said employ call miss xyz to resume next week and she was rude to you are you going to say cuz she was rude you won't recruit or employ her.

You seem like someone that like HR, one quality of HR personnel is to keep calm remember you hold all the cards to hiring and firing and best mood is when potential talents start saying sorry etc and you still offer them the job

Have a goid day sir.

To say that I am speechless @ bold will be an understatement.... You mean that since an average Nigerian answers call in a rude manner, It makes it Ok and acceptable because it like a culture?... It's like saying since we have a corrupt system of Government.. Corruption is almost like a brand Name in Nigeria, then it is acceptable and cool...

If she can be rude to you, what made you think that your customers will be exonerated from her rude behavior? What about the company's foreign clients? have you thought about how messed up that could be for a deal worth millions?...Anyways, you will hire her because it was not your establishment as long as you got paid, no big deal...Even if the organization looses important clients, NO skin pain...(In Managerial Finance, what you said you will do is referred to as Agency Problem) The likelihood that managers(in this case hiring manager) may place personal goals ahead of corporate goal
Anyways, Have a good holidays smiley

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by bizzibodi(m): 11:21am On Apr 03, 2021
seunny4lif:
Funny
Even in England, when they call you for Job interviews
Most times they will first confirm maybe they are talking to the right person before introducing themselves.
V: Hello
me: Hello
V: Is that .....
Me: Yes, and who am I speaking to?
V: Then they start
With that method he will know if U are a demon...nobody wants to employ a demon.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seunny4lif(m): 11:32am On Apr 03, 2021
Applicant answered you with "Who be this"?
The Applicant dey mad cheesy cheesy cheesy
Cutie09:

HR = hello
Applicant = who is this

It is so simple.

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seunny4lif(m): 11:33am On Apr 03, 2021
Gbam
Nigerians are rude on the phone
bizzibodi:
Most times i calls an unknown person..I starts with :Hello am i speaking with Jennifer.
Most replies I got is who is speaking-98%
For those that answers yes am Jennifer who am I speaking with please-2%
My people no body is going to kill you,scam you if you answer your name first then later ask the caller name.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seunny4lif(m): 11:34am On Apr 03, 2021
Even my first Job in Germany was same method
bizzibodi:

With that method he will know if U are a demon...nobody wants to employ a demon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amcon Interview Next Phase! / Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job. / 2021 Lagos State Teacher's Recruitment Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.