Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall - Jobs/Vacancies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall (62250 Views)

Lady Loses Job To 'Who Gave You My Number?' Question On WhatsApp / Lady Loses Employment Opportunity Over Semi-nude DP On Social Media / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seunny4lif(m): 11:39am On Apr 03, 2021
Same thing here
They call you, then ask if you so so before continue with the conservation and if you can't right there.
They will asked you when next to call you.
From my GP calls to Companies must first confirm if they are speaking to the right person
Nauttyprof:

There is no calling a spade a spade. Stop finding faults when the lady in question is 100% at fault.

The first step in any phone conversation is to first confirm the recipient before you introduce yourself or divulge any information. It is wrong to first introduce yourself when you are not certain of the recipient. Not even in this age and time when people can do anything to falsify identity.

I have received several international calls where they first confirm my identity before they introduce themselves and then talk about the services they render.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nauttyprof(m): 11:42am On Apr 03, 2021
observanc1:
you are the one calling, it's your obligation to introduce yourself first.
Why should u confirm your identity to a stranger on phone. Be careful o. If na bad guy that wants to eliminate u, he will just cut the call after your confirmation.

The same way you shouldn't place the responsibility on the caller then.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seunny4lif(m): 11:52am On Apr 03, 2021
You are not that diff from the said lady grin grin grin grin
toprealman:
According to the OP my dear, the HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

How about this option:
Good morning, my name is ******** from useyourhead incorporated, am I speaking to Miss seeyourlife........

This is formal introduction at a professional level. You Nigerians have succeeded in bending everything out there to accommodate your ego!

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by WaffenSS(m): 11:58am On Apr 03, 2021
ONNYX:

The phone is still a very new and underestimated tool as far as the African man is concerned.

Sometimes I just despair and the only option available is to switch off the phone. Random phone calls are what they are; random.
Oblige the caller some civility until his/her true caller emerges....and even then try not to be rude as it is never over until it is over.

Phones have been in Nigeria way before independence, GSM Mobile phones have been in use for more than 20 years. Phones are hardly new.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Druss(m): 12:06pm On Apr 03, 2021
I can't answer unless I know what the lady was going through. Easy to judge without knowing the full story.

Also know that I would be asking HR some questions. Phone etiquette can be trained into a person. Surely she was selected for more than her ability to answer a phone.

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by fortune1968: 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2021
Nicklaus619:
Nigeria ladies are so shallow-minded.
That was how I was innocently picking and dropping one lady in my department in the office with my car, the very day I bought my car and start driving it to work, we actually stay one estate apart and I thought it wise since she ain't mobile, let me be helping her, of which my fiance knew and was was cool with, fast forward to after 3 months of constant picking her in the morning and dropping her after work at her gate,

Aunty approached me one day and was like
Nick what do you really want from me because u can't be doing all of this and not wanting something in return?

I was so pissed and disgusted by her foolish comment, angry but i did not answer her though, I just smile at her, dropped her at her gate as usual and drove home, immediately I got home, aunty has called me like 4 miss call, I eventually retuned her call and she started apologizing for speaking out of tone, I told her not to worry that everywhere good, but that was the last I drove her in my car, up till date she still apologizing, but I no longer give a fvck, most Nigeria ladies thinks every guy always want to toast them. well I shocked her, because my girlfriend is 100 times more endowed and beautiful than her, what could I be wanting from her biko cheesy
It isn't her fault . You probably don't understand some ladies psyche . She felt that you have done a lot of favour for her and she should compensate you with at least , what she has ( sex) but she was a bit immature about it . I'm sure that she meant no harm . You could have simply explained your thoughts about what she said rather than treating her that way . Her conscience was only out to compensate you buy you failed to give her lessons that would have rectify her ways of thinking .
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2021
Richy4:

To say that I am speechless @ bold will be an understatement.... You mean that since an average Nigerian answers call in a rude manner, It makes it Ok and acceptable because it like a culture?... It's like saying since we have a corrupt system of Government.. Corruption is almost like a brand Name in Nigeria, then it is acceptable and cool...

If she can be rude to you, what made you think that your customers will be exonerated from her rude behavior? What about the company's foreign clients? have you thought about how messed up that could be for a deal worth millions?...Anyways, you will hire her because it was not your establishment as long as you got paid, no big deal...Even if the organization looses important clients, NO skin pain...(In Managerial Finance, what you said you will do is referred to as Agency Problem) The likelihood that managers(in this case hiring manager) may place personal goals ahead of corporate goal
Anyways, Have a good holidays smiley

You arent HR person so i am going to take my time.

If you are going to base your judgement on one bad phone calls to a potential talents then God help you because to shortlist best candidate for a job takes time.

Your corruption argument hold no water so because i paid money into your account and you've not seen the alert does that mean am being dishonest??

HR personnels  are slow to anger she only answers my call in an unpolite manner where is your law of second chance bros.

Company have rules regulation and gross misconduct policy. So after her induction she will know the do's and the don't of the organisation..

Foreign client (shaking my head ) so you think i will just employ someone to deal with our foreign client lol well dealing with foreign client job is someone that knows the culture of the business and usually position like that is advertised in-house, or have good succession planning in place that is how it is done sir.

Managerial Finance is not the same as humans resources management. You are going to let someone that has not been embeded into your company organisation culture to deal with foreign clients?? I don't think so.

I placed that call because i know from the interview, cv this person is best candidate for the job so one bad phone manners wont make me change my mind trust me.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Pat081: 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

She just picked the call and started saying all this? Very cool story. You all are suddenly giving jobs to females. The future is indeed female. I expect a sharp decline in the next unemployment stat, NBS would roll out. cheesy
what are you saying now so what we need female for we should take male for it .yes she pick it and start to talk that way
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by JaneYave(f): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2021
Regex:

You are likely to do the same thing too if you were in her shoes. That's the glorious truth!
When a call gets serious to a point you are asked' are you Miss ... .' , you will try to listen, won't you?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Regex: 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
JaneYave:
When a call gets serious to a point you are asked' are you Miss ... .' , you will try to listen, won't you?

Not if I'm a lady and based in Nigeria.

There is thing with their attitude.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nicklaus619(m): 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
fortune1968:
It isn't her fault . You probably don't understand some ladies psyche . She felt that you have done a lot of favour for her and she should compensate you with at least , what she has ( sex) but she was a bit immature about it . I'm sure that she meant no harm . You could have simply explained your thoughts about what she said rather than treating her that way . Her conscience was only out to compensate you buy you failed to give her lessons that would have rectify her ways of thinking .

Yes bro, she apologized and even sent my girl to plead with me, that was when I invited her to my house, sat her down and let her understand that not all men are scum, funny enough she told me that she likes me even Infront of my girl, she use to jokingly tell my girl that if she don't hold me well she was gonna snatch me from her, we laugh over it though as we do joke alot grin

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Ibelearner: 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
Wisemfon:
A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle

Learning...
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by JaneYave(f): 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2021
observanc1:
the girl did nothing wrong. The bank didnt want to give her the job. There are lots of fraudulent calls these days. She asked the right questions and didnt get the right responses.
First thing when u call someone is to introduce yourself fully.
Banks dont offer employment by phone call. They write to you.
Recruitment is a very dynamic procedure these days, they adapt any method and style. If it's your bank, will you tolerate such receptive attitude? Remember, she will be dealing with customers.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by ogbu80(m): 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2021
tolugar:
Pls take NOTE

Still on call etiquette

When making an official call,

The person making the call have to first start with introduction like..

Hello, this is Mr. Mathew calling from Zet bank ,
Am I speaking with Mrs Grace?....

Most HRs get this wrong.

For security reasons, you don’t have to call someone and start asking their names and whereabouts.

Let’s be civilized
does it take anything to be polite?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2021
This may seem to be surreal but it happens. Our new start-up wanted to set up a PR team and we got referrals based on qualifications, social media presence and person skill.

We decided to reach out for an interview, the set of girls were so nonchalant about the process.
One asked us to reschedule; amazing!
The other said she was out of town; but it is a phone interview - what is the connection; interesting!
Another said she was scared; absolutely!
The final lady that decided to be interviewed, rescheduled for like 30 minutes, as if that was not enough, she started schooling the Interviewers on the phone about what they should do and how they should organize their activities. She started talking about how she is a very busy person and so much more that may bore this thread; smartly done!

This is a job that is more remote, over 100k per month, data and call monies and other benefits.

N:B.
I do not think I can advice anyone but many youths are loosing it.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Juliearth(f): 12:52pm On Apr 03, 2021
Originalsly:

The HR's expectation is she should answer her private phone as if she were on the job. "Who is this?" was not acceptable... therefore answering in another language will also not be acceptable. "Who is this?" is a common way of answering informal calls or knocks on doors when the person doesn't know who is at the other end. The point of the matter is why didn't he identify himself? It tells a whole lot about a company when the HR representative doesn't have phone etiquette.

That it is common doesn't make it right. Are you aware that phone conversations/chats with people we do not know are supposed to be formal (at least until when you figure out who the person is)?

If you feel the suggestion I made earlier is too formal and Buckingham-worthy, how about saying who is speaking please? Who is this is very rude.

My point is that we should try to do things the right way regardless of the statusquo.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Juliearth(f): 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Not only on calls.

Especially in person. They are so uncouth and so rude. They look down on people too much, except you are breathing dollars on them. Then they will suck up for tips.

The service I got at a Japanese restaurant was radically different from the same kind of restaurant run by Nigerian

You are right! This rudeness/eye service cuts across all sectors.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by VicM6: 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2021
I have listened to this same story since 1990 na.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2021
cyrilamx:
I can relate with this. Most ladies do this alot. Probably u don't HV her contact again or u changed phone, simple who are you plz? Or May I know who is speaking plz, she will immediately end the call. That very neuseating attitude

Before I use to call back try to explain, but as I get matured omon I go just lock up.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tolugar: 1:08pm On Apr 03, 2021
ogbu80:
does it take anything to be polite?

It takes common sense
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Originalsly: 1:22pm On Apr 03, 2021
Juliearth:

That it is common doesn't make it right. Are you aware that phone conversations/chats with people we do not know are supposed to be formal (at least until when you figure out who the person is)?

If you feel the suggestion I made earlier is too formal and Buckingham-worthy, how about saying who is speaking please? Who is this is very rude.

My point is that we should try to do things the right way regardless of the statusquo.

There is no "right way" of answering a call.... but yes... we should be courteous. We need to realize also that in this digital age of smart phones it is no longer a must for the caller to ask who is at the receiving end since it should always be the owner of the phone. The same courtesy should be extended to an unknown person knocking at your door. From personal experience.... my work requires me to go to people's homes.... in apartment buildings I have to buzz the apartment ... many are connected to smart phones...to be let into the building. Most people usually work Mondays to Fridays and sleep late on Saturdays. They begin to wake around 11 a.m. I'm disturbing them as early as 9.... "Who is this?" ... or "Who?" is the most common and courteous response. I then identify myself and purpose. Many times ..."Why you ringing my effing bell?".... "Stop ringing my effing bell"... or simply.."Eff off." Should I proceed to make the delivery if I gain access to the building?...or should I hold their initial response against them and not deliver? As a professional I have to deliver... and yet be courteous when I get there. There are many things we should do... but we don't... and that's all part of life... we have to flex.... and bend backwards when we are on official assignments... especially when interacting with the public. In the scenario... the HR is very well interacting with the public.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by MummyD2020(f): 1:24pm On Apr 03, 2021
Queenmark:

Feel free to insult. It's a freedom of speech and it won't affect anyone but yourself.

Well, go on YouTube and watch how HRs from other countries behave and test it against what happens in Nigeria.

Imagine going for an interview and they make you wait for hours even without an apology that is inhumane and unethical.

On the last statement, people now excuse bizzare things. Abeg they should get proper training
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Juliearth(f): 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2021
Originalsly:

There is no "right way" of answering a call.... but yes... we should be courteous. We need to realize also that in this digital age of smart phones it is no longer a must for the caller to ask who is at the receiving end since it should always be the owner of the phone. The same courtesy should be extended to an unknown person knocking at your door. From personal experience.... my work requires me to go to people's homes.... in apartment buildings I have to buzz the apartment ... many are connected to smart phones...to be let into the building. Most people usually work Mondays to Fridays and sleep late on Saturdays. They begin to wake around 11 a.m. I'm disturbing them as early as 9.... "Who is this?" ... or "Who?" is the most common and courteous response. I then identify myself and purpose. Many times ..."Why you ringing my effing bell?".... "Stop ringing my effing bell"... or simply.."Eff off." Should I proceed to make the delivery if I gain access to the building?...or should I hold their initial response against them and not deliver? As a professional I have to deliver... and yet be courteous when I get there. There are many things we should do... but we don't... and that's all part of life... we have to flex.... and bend backwards when we are on official assignments... especially when interacting with the public. In the scenario... the HR is very well interacting with the public.

You have a point, but that doesn't change the fact that the HR's misgivings should be escalated in that manner; the HR stands to lose nothing after all. We have to make a conscious to be courteous.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by toprealman: 1:49pm On Apr 03, 2021
seunny4lif:
You are not that diff from the said lady grin grin grin grin
Nah brah, I'm in total control over stuff that concerns me. At least professionally speaking, we ain't slacking.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Olayinka8793(m): 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2021
AerialMapper:
Everyone is quick to blame the girl but is the HR officer totally blameless.

As a caller, the onus is on you to introduce yourself clearly to the person you are calling especially if you are a first time caller.

You wouldn't start a conversation with " am I speaking with xxxxxx?"

A proper approach would be, Good morning, my name is xxxxxxx, calling from xxxxxxx, am I speaking with xxxxxxx?

The story doesn't clearly state whether he introduced himself properly.
Boss,
Don't forget your boy sir sad sad

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by ImaIma1(f): 2:04pm On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.

The HR person is not at fault. I am in HR too and even if you don't introduce yourself first, the person answering a call is obligated to be polite until given a reason not to be.

The statement that annoys me most when answering a call is " who gave you my number" as if the number is a priced possession. I am a lady but I am friendly on the phone to male/female unknown callers because it's common sense.

People, especially ladies should learn to be polite over the phone and to strangers. Not everyone is a chyker.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutehector(m): 2:15pm On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.
just keep quiet if you dont have any reasonable thing to spew.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by BBDelta(m): 2:33pm On Apr 03, 2021
"Aunty"? Speaks volume.

Wisemfon:
A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Sixfeetbelle: 2:53pm On Apr 03, 2021
knightphoenix:
I'm tempted to insult you but i trust, you'll get that sooner or later.... FYI its their job and its supposed to be like that to test your composure.

No, it is not.

The other day, a personnel from Union bank called me. She introduced herself first of all before asking for confirmation of my name.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Sixfeetbelle: 2:57pm On Apr 03, 2021
Wisemfon:

How do u feel calling some and she didn't even say hello? employing such person into your bank, have you think about the implications on the bank?
she is at fault!

When she said "Who's this?" that was when the HR person should have introduced themselves
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Sixfeetbelle: 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

You can't test it on the phone trust me. Remember people can put up oscar performance over the phone to get a job

2) thats why we do have probation period in the contract because that will let you know their character etc while in same environment with them.

3) moods do affect the way we react sometimes on the phone. Let assume this said lady's just got a sad news eg husband or family member just passed away and the next call is about the job. how do you expect her to react on the phone?

When calling potential talent always ask if they are comfortable to talk and let them know how long you are going to be on the phone for

I strongly believe it is a fake story

It's like you work in a bank as an HR. I swear the bank lady that contacted me sometime ago acted exactly like this. Introduced herself, asked me to confirm my name and then asked if I could talk. Even with all these process, I was still wary in case it was a scam cheesy.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Queenserah26(f): 3:25pm On Apr 03, 2021
I can't agree less

ONNYX:

You hit the nail on the head. We are going through a talking epidemic now where our egos are more prone to talking than listening.
If you have the opportunity of listening into an interview session you will simply be bewildered. You need tons of patience to deal with the present generation. To think that some of them are so arrogant in their very apparent emptiness.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amcon Interview Next Phase! / Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job. / Nigerian Stock Exchange Graduate Trainee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.