Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Swedish Admissions And Student Visa - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Swedish Admissions And Student Visa (123577 Views)

Study In Brazil: Admissions And Visa Procedures / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 9:08am On Nov 04, 2021
Bro, thing is, once someone have made up their mind, it’s a sealed decision and whatever anyone advises, barely matters. I know you’re trying to help, but people will keep perceiving your advise wrongly because their mindset is already set to come here. This was the case with me last year. Infact by this time last year, I have already submitted my application and started packing my suitcase. Did I read all these reviews you’ve posted before coming here? Yes. Did I hear bad experiences from both people in sweden and the ones that eventually left? Yes.

But I didn’t care at all. I thought I was prepared for whatever. Now do I regret coming here? No.
Sweden is a great place - at least way better than Nigeria in many ways except from the culture. I just wished I prepared better and perhaps, explored other options with sweden still my end goal destination.

So just wish everyone well in their pursuit and let them be.
ikswiss:
Oya for people who think am discouraging them, make una read an very well �

1 Like

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Temmrow: 9:29am On Nov 04, 2021
chaiks:
thanks. I v just googled about it and I found a good related program there. Maybe I will make them the first priority. What about swedish defence University, is it way competitive? because my exact program is just there.

I don't know about swedish defence university sir.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Oby2828: 9:57am On Nov 04, 2021
Mobil567:
Bro, thing is, once someone have made up their mind, it’s a sealed decision and whatever anyone advises, barely matters. I know you’re trying to help, but people will keep perceiving your advise wrongly because their mindset is already set to come here. This was the case with me last year. Infact by this time last year, I have already submitted my application and started packing my suitcase. Did I read all these reviews you’ve posted before coming here? Yes. Did I hear bad experiences from both people in sweden and the ones that eventually left? Yes.

But I didn’t care at all. I thought I was prepared for whatever. Now do I regret coming here? No.
Sweden is a great place - at least way better than Nigeria in many ways except from the culture. I just wished I prepared better and perhaps, explored other options with sweden still my end goal destination.

What culture shock do you mean? Prepared better in terms of finances, language, weather or job?
At least you’re been truthful in agreeing it’s way better than nigeria, I know people in the uk wanting to move to canada, I know people in canada moving to US, I know people in US moving to sweden and some moving back to nigeria. It’s really about determination and what you want. You can also advice too. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 10:08am On Nov 04, 2021
Wasn’t referring to culture shock. Meant that sweden is better than Nigerian expect in the culture aspect. Culture in terms of African lifestyle, celebrations and traditions
Oby2828:

What culture shock do you mean? Prepared better in terms of finances, language, weather or job?
At least you’re been truthful in agreeing it’s way better than nigeria, I know people in the uk wanting to move to canada, I know people in canada moving to US, I know people in US moving to sweden and some moving back to nigeria. It’s really about determination and what you want. You can also advice too. Thank you
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 04, 2021
Yeah you are right.

I want to publicly apologize, if my post discouraged someone,I’m only writing from my experience. I have tested both worlds and my perception is way different from someone coming from Nigeria . I have been to a lot of countries and seen Nigerian working in professional sectors and my aim was to only guide and not to discourage anyone. I mean no harm and wish all applicants the best while in Sweden.

Goodluck to y’all.

Mobil567:

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Temmrow: 11:27am On Nov 04, 2021
chaiks:
hi bro. It seems their scholarship is partial, not full tuition waiver oo

Am not really sure. but even at that, I think is still better o

Do more findings about it.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Temmrow: 11:35am On Nov 04, 2021
Mobil567:
Wasn’t referring to culture shock. Meant that sweden is better than Nigerian expect in the culture aspect. Culture in terms of African lifestyle, celebrations and traditions

OH, oh.. you know Sweden is better than Nigeria at least.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Oby2828: 1:59pm On Nov 04, 2021
Mobil567:

Ok, thank you.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Oby2828: 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2021
ikswiss:
Yeah you are right.

I want to publicly apologize, if my post discouraged someone,I’m only writing from my experience. I have tested both worlds and my perception is way different from someone coming from Nigeria . I have been to a lot of countries and seen Nigerian working in professional sectors and my aim was to only guide and not to discourage anyone. I mean no harm and wish all applicants the best while in Sweden.

Goodluck to y’all.

I sincerely appreciate you advising and warning new applicants, the truth is that there are personal reasons people may not want to move to those other countries.
Nordic countries, Uk, US or canada are not the best in the world, but they ain't as bad as naija.

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Lionize: 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2021
Politicians won't want to go anywhere else but naija, because that is where they fish and feed from. Migration is part of human nature, and if one place doesn't favour you, try elsewhere. Naija is not ok for most people, thus they'll want to try elsewhere, Sweden inclusive. If they get to Sweden and find anything not ok, and hear somewhere else is better for them, they move. One will keep moving until you find a relatively good place to be, not just for you, but your family as well. Mark the work 'relative'. No place on earth is perfect. Sweden is sweet once you find your feet. But as a naija guy, you must find your feet.

3 Likes

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by chaiks: 8:10am On Nov 08, 2021
Temmrow:

I don't know about swedish defence university sir.
ok bro
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by chaiks: 8:16am On Nov 08, 2021
are there people who got tuition waiver in the last application cycle? kindly tell us if you have because i know not all people will get the S.I scholarship. most importantly , i want a clue on how to chose schools to have high chances of admission .
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by ehiremen2002: 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2021
Any one knows of situation where student extension was rejected and student ask to leave student. And the reason for the student not able to meet the 22.5 credit was that the student had a baby and couldnt study that session.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2021
She should have gotten an authorised study break from her university, so that it won’t affect her extension. But how could she not have gotten 30 credits out of 60? Because I suppose she had one year permit which requires renewal to continue. Was she already heavily pregnant in her first semester?

As the case is, I advise she gets a lawyer to appeal the decision. The appeal will buy her time and she can remain in sweden and continue studying. So that even if anything, she can submit more acquired credits from her Ladok. If she leaves sweden, she may not be approved for studies because they will claim she only came to sweden to give birth and not a genuine student.
So let her try all possible means not to leave. Just my opinion
ehiremen2002:
Any one knows of situation where student extension was rejected and student ask to leave student. And the reason for the student not able to meet the 22.5 credit was that the student had a baby and couldnt study that session.

1 Like

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by japa2022: 6:57pm On Nov 08, 2021
ikswiss:
Yeah you are right.

Goodluck to y’all.

I appreciate people who speak frankly and do without sentiment. Thank you for the valuable information you have been providing.

I'm a web developer and I've applied to 3 schools for undergraduate (I selected IT courses for all of them). I'm open to learning the language and in terms of a side hustle, I can work remote jobs with my laptop until I get settled. In short, I'm fairly prepared mentally for Sweden.

What I would like to know however is

1. What schools are the surest to gain admission?
2. Does the order affect your chances of being admitted?
3. Should I put the easiest university for admission first or my preferred university?
4. Is it going to be a concern at the visa office that I graduated from university and I'm going for undergraduate in a different field (I am actually passionate about Tech)

*More on 4, I graduated with a 3rd class and realised that gaining admission for Master's in a foreign country would be war. I've made my peace and decided to do the course I should have studied in the first place.

Thanky you, in advance (I hope to be consistent here till travel and can assist others as well)
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by tmed1(m): 7:19pm On Nov 08, 2021
I just noticed there is a controversy here concerning whether one should come to Sweden to study.

I moved from Germany to Sweden in August 2021 to begin my PhD studies at the University of Gothenburg. Cost of living in Sweden is way higher than it is in Germany. But I'm paid a decent monthly salary by the university; so I can't complain. But why any Nigerian would want to move to Sweden to study social science or business with an ernomous amount of tuition fee is beyond me. Just go to an English speaking country! You can also study in Germany for free (I did both my bachelor's and master's degree in Germany for free).

Advice: If you want to study IT or engineering in a Swedish university and you are awarded a full scholarship, you should consider it. But if you study social sciences and you are awarded a scholarhsip, you should still think twice about it. I say this as someone who studied social science. I had to make the best of my degree by building a career in academia. Although I'm happy where I am, it's a big risk I took.

Question: Is there anyone of you living in Gothenburg and would like to hang out one of these weekends? I haven't met a single Nigerian since I moved here!

3 Likes

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 8:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
japa2022:
I appreciate people who speak frankly and do without sentiment. Thank you for the valuable information you have been providing.

I'm a web developer and I've applied to 3 schools for undergraduate (I selected IT courses for all of them). I'm open to learning the language and in terms of a side hustle, I can work remote jobs with my laptop until I get settled. In short, I'm fairly prepared mentally for Sweden.

What I would like to know however is

1. What schools are the surest to gain admission?There is no surest school. Sweden is not Nigeria. All universities follow their requirements and due process.
2. Does the order affect your chances of being admitted?NO
3. Should I put the easiest university for admission first or my preferred university? put your preferred university and prioritise the one that offers scholarship for BSc if you are interested in that.
4. Is it going to be a concern at the visa office that I graduated from university and I'm going for undergraduate in a different field (I am actually passionate about Tech)... This will depend on your responses during the visa interview, so prepare for that.

*More on 4, I graduated with a 3rd class and realised that gaining admission for Master's in a foreign country would be war. I've made my peace and decided to do the course I should have studied in the first place.

Thanky you, in advance (I hope to be consistent here till travel and can assist others as well)
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 8:01pm On Nov 08, 2021
Well said
tmed1:
I just noticed there is a controversy here concerning whether one should come to Sweden to study.

I moved from Germany to Sweden in August 2021 to begin my PhD studies at the University of Gothenburg. Cost of living in Sweden is way higher than it is in Germany. But I'm paid a decent monthly salary by the university; so I can't complain. But why any Nigerian would want to move to Sweden to study social science or business with an ernomous amount of tuition fee is beyond me. Just go to an English speaking country! You can also study in Germany for free (I did both my bachelor's and master's degree in Germany for free).

Advice: If you want to study IT or engineering in a Swedish university and you are awarded a full scholarship, you should consider it. But if you study social sciences and you are awarded a scholarhsip, you should still think twice about it. I say this as someone who studied social science. I had to make the best of my degree by building a career in academia. Although I'm happy where I am, it's a big risk I took.

Question: Is there anyone of you living in Gothenburg and would like to hang out one of these weekends? I haven't met a single Nigerian since I moved here!
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Neytron4U: 8:39pm On Nov 08, 2021
Please I'm trying to send my transcript from lautech online to sweden but asking my for the exact state in sweden. Does anybody know the state where university admission in sweden is located?
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Darey00(m): 9:20pm On Nov 08, 2021
Neytron4U:
Please I'm trying to send my transcript from lautech online to sweden but asking my for the exact state in sweden. Does anybody know the state where university admission in sweden is located?

Stockholm

1 Like

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 08, 2021
Thanks for clarifying this and hope they don’t come for you like they did to me �

hit me up, just got to Gothenburg this evening and should be free Friday and Sunday evening
tmed1:

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Oby2828: 12:29am On Nov 09, 2021
ikswiss:
Thanks for clarifying this and hope they don’t come for you like they did to me �

hit me up, just got to Gothenburg this evening and should be free Friday and Sunday evening

Ok, thank you. Let’s shut down the group then, since no one should apply to sweden universities.

2 Likes

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Nobody: 12:54am On Nov 09, 2021
Why are you thanking me ? Please don’t come for me and pass by if you don’t have anything reasonable to say.
Oby2828:

Ok, thank you. Let’s shut down the group then, since no one should apply to sweden universities.
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Adeh2009(m): 3:20am On Nov 09, 2021
tmed1:

Wow! This is scary.....what about those people studying Social work in Sweden, Is that one useless too? (asking for a friend)
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 09, 2021
social work is actually an amazing program but you have to take your degree in an elsewhere to practice. You self go like get a councilor way dey speak French with you when you dey live for Nigeria ?
Adeh2009:

Wow! This is scary.....what about those people studying Social work in Sweden, Is that one useless too? (asking for a friend)

1 Like

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Adeh2009(m): 7:40am On Nov 09, 2021
ikswiss:
social work is actually an amazing program but you have to take your degree in an elsewhere to practice. You self go like get a councilor way dey speak French with you when you dey live for Nigeria ?

Not about me bro. his my friend and studies at the University of Gavle during International Social work program. He speaks Swedish but not so good on it yet.

You think he wont get a work there once his done with his studies ?
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Oby2828: 7:42am On Nov 09, 2021
ikswiss:
Why are you thanking me ? Please don’t come for me and pass by if you don’t have anything reasonable to say.

Oh sorry, was not referring to you. It was a mistake, My point is since no one should apply to sweden, there’s no need having the group, so other nairalanders won’t use to for their application.
Or better still change the name to “Living in Sweden”
My own opinion though….

1 Like

Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 09, 2021
He speak Swedish and no so good on it, that alone disqualifies you.

Social work requires a lot of documentation and oral speaking.

As i said it’s a nice program and he could easily get a job in a country where he speaks and write very well
Adeh2009:

Not about me bro. his my friend and studies at the University of Gavle during International Social work program. He speaks Swedish but not so good on it yet.

You think he wont get a work there once his done with his studies ?
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Adeh2009(m): 7:50am On Nov 09, 2021
ikswiss:
He speak Swedish and no so good on it, that alone disqualifies you.

Social work requires a lot of documentation and oral speaking.

As i said it’s a nice program and he could easily get a job in a country where he speaks and write very well

Thanks! but could you recommend other good countries where his career could be appreciated ?

PS. He loves Sweden but might need some more time to perfect his language skills
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Mobil567: 7:56am On Nov 09, 2021
I think social work will be better in the uk.
Adeh2009:

Thanks! but could you recommend other good countries where his career could be appreciated ?

PS. He loves Sweden but might need some more time to perfect his language skills
Re: Swedish Admissions And Student Visa by Adeh2009(m): 8:07am On Nov 09, 2021
Mobil567:
I think social work will be better in the uk.

Been to UK before, doesn't really fancy there

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (62) (Reply)

Writing CIMA For Express Entry?? Lets Meet Here! / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.