Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,821 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? (31989 Views)

Poll: How do you find Dr. Goodluck Jonathan's dressing?

It's great: 29% (61 votes)
It's not bad: 37% (78 votes)
It's horrible: 33% (71 votes)
This poll has ended

You Are A Clown....tunji Braithwaite Blasts Obasanjo / Is Obiano A Clown? Photo / El Rufai Calls Governor Obi A Clown For Questioning His Presence In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by mbatuku1: 11:04pm On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Probably wrong thread for this, what is up with the Igbo red hats? How did that come about? What is the significance of that style?

It looks cool, just curious why it is always a red hat.

Anyway, his attire is fine. Just the hat makes it look very strange. I assume this became popular as a result of trade with white folks, or something?

The red colour is for only titled men. Regular folks are not supposed to wear the red ones, but can wear any other colour they fancy.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Sunofgod(m): 11:11pm On Apr 21, 2011
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by ektbear: 11:13pm On Apr 21, 2011
@mbatuku1: I see. So red probably has some sort of religious significance, I'm guessing? Wondering why that particular color for titled men.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by OmoTier1(m): 11:44pm On Apr 21, 2011
Abeg this presido is a clown both in dressing and in style! He reminds me of those men in my social studies textbook in school those dayssss!

I believe the Ijaws have a more respectable and appealing dress sense and style than this always dark en blue colour code of presido.
Oh how come most of his campaign pictures featured him looking young, seemingly purposeful without that "Palm wine tapper of a hat" that makes him looks like a chimmpy on a school runs in South Africa holiday resort!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:45pm On Apr 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Abeg this presido is a clown both in dressing and in style! He reminds me of those men in my social studies textbook in school those dayssss!

I believe the Ijaws have a more respectable and appealing dress sense and style than this always dark en blue colour code of presido.
Oh how come most of his campaign pictures featured him looking young, seemingly purposeful without that "Palm wine tapper of a hat" that makes him looks like a chimmpy on a school runs in South Africa holiday resort!

wtf

calm down

It's not that serious.

And the dark and blue robe is good.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by mbatuku1: 11:46pm On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

@mbatuku1: I see. So red probably has some sort of religious significance, I'm guessing? Wondering why that particular color for titled men.

I think so too. But most times, it's abused probably out of ignorance. That's why you see more of the red colour.

I'm still trying to learn more about the religious connection.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Apr 21, 2011
Sun of god:

After you na me

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=UDHSJOBwImFWI3e4stNaoC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxQVY27ur7u6qwECUSa_y684nW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

Wow, he still dresses the same way.

Seriously tho, what was GEJ doing as a VP before Yaradua died? I never noticed this guy oh.

Even America was quite surprised. Imagine the big deal they made about his name after Yaradua died. One would think they'd have been used to his name if he was actively working as a VP (not in name only)
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by GoodMuyis(m): 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2011
[center][size=15pt]I wish something like this could happen But Impossible[/size]
Dont ask me where i got the picture[/center]

Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by ektbear: 11:54pm On Apr 21, 2011
The GEJ outfit would look so much better if he just swapped out the cap. THe chain is actually a very nice feature.

Imagine that robe in white, with a cap like this:

And of course the silver chain. Or perhaps gold instead? Yeah, gold.

That would be pretty tight.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:55pm On Apr 21, 2011

David Mark

[img]http://4.bp..com/_DmHwB4ODR38/TQlyGqzmTFI/AAAAAAAAAoY/i60V6mWQNNs/s320/Anthony%2BEnahoro.cls[/img]

Anthony Enahoro

Did they get that hat from Igbos? Just something that always puzzled me.

Or was the red cap a common phenomenon in parts of southern Nigeria at some point?
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2011
[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=UDHSJOBwImFWI3e4stNaoC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxQVY27ur7u6qwECUSa_y684nW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

BTW, GEJ looks like Hausa boyboy in this pix.

Is he opening door for oga?
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2011
@Ileke

Even America was quite surprised. Imagine the big deal they made about his name after Yaradua died. One would think they'd have been used to his name if he was actively working as a VP (not in name only)

I wonder oh. they are used to 'luck', so thats why nobody really paid attention to how he performed, they were just looking at his mysterious rise.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by OmoTier1(m): 11:59pm On Apr 21, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

wtf

calm down

It's not that serious.

And the dark and blue robe is good.
dude no vex oh, d thin be say : "dress the way you want to be addressed"

if not for other things, obj always did niaja proud with his dress sense especially at international conferences. His dress code would tell you from afar that he is not a push over! but this presido - kai! him no try at all. I remember watching him give a speech at the UN in New York last year, I was so ashamed and i had to confess that the presido has bad handlers all around him!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:06am On Apr 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

dude no vex oh, d thin be say : "dress the way you want to be addressed"

if not for other things, obj always did niaja proud with his dress sense especially at international conferences. His dress code would tell you from afar that he is not a push over! but this presido - kai! him no try at all. I remember watching him give a speech at the UN in New York last year, I was so ashamed and i had to confess that the presido has bad handlers all around him!

Did his outfit make the speech go badly?

I still like the gown, especially the chain looking design near the collar. I don't think that's what's making people criticize his outfit. It's probably just the British hat he wears that's causing all the negative comments.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by GoodMuyis(m): 12:12am On Apr 22, 2011
I remember when i was in primary 5, i saw a biro that i like in a shop, so i frame a lie at home that o lost the one am using. Surprisingly my Mom give me the one she was using, it was Eleganzer product;

Then i reply eleganzer product is not good
               She said i should manage it
Then i reply that it will pour ink on my note book
              She ask me to manage it fro that day
Then i reply again, that we have much note to write that day and that the poured ink will spoil my notes.

At last i force Money out her hand to buy the one i want.

[center]THE LESSON IS THAT IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING
YOU CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT
[/center]
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by GoodMuyis(m): 12:21am On Apr 22, 2011
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 22, 2011
Objs originality dress swagger is incomparable with others. Trust a yoruba man and his culture, dresses i.e aso oke, aso ofi, kampala, adire e.t.c. Has anyone here seen a picture of Obj attired in kembe ( itßs a kind of 3/4 baggy trouser with a kind of mini agbada) and abeti aja cap with walking stick when he was a military president? When i saw that picture i felt so proud of my culture!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by ektbear: 12:31am On Apr 22, 2011

#checkmyswag

Seriously, GEJ, step your game up, son. Get rid of that hat for something else grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by mbatuku1: 12:34am On Apr 22, 2011
Timehin:

Objs originality dress swagger is incomparable with others. Trust a yoruba man and his culture, dresses i.e aso oke, aso ofi, kampala, adire e.t.c. Have anyone here seen a picture of Obj attired in kembe ( its a kind of  3/4 baggy trouser with a kind of mini agbada) and abeti aja cap with walking stick when he was a military president? When i saw that picture i felt so proud of my culture!  

The Agbada is not Yoruba culture. It was copied from the hausas.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by mamagee3(f): 12:36am On Apr 22, 2011
Why is anyone surprised on here?

Goodluck Jonathan has always been a clown in my book, it's nothing new.

My anger is on those that re-elected him as President.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by MeGaStReEt: 12:44am On Apr 22, 2011
mama-gee:

Goodluck Jonathan has always been a clown in my book, it's nothing new.
My anger is on those that re-elected him as President.

transformer no dey around your house Help yourself
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by mamagee3(f): 12:46am On Apr 22, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

What are you implying?
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by EkoIle1: 12:49am On Apr 22, 2011
^^^^^^ That got me rolling non stop. lmao
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:31am On Apr 22, 2011
seriously, people leave him alone, its his culture. the hat has a long history with the Ijaws and i see nothing wrong with it.
out of ALL things to talk about, our president's dressing is an issue? SMH.
anyway, i remember someone saying Goodluck is bush and he doesn't dress "classy" simply because he doesn't wear a suit and tie. this was an African oooo, imagine someone telling an African they should drop their attire for white man's stuff. some people are really sick in the head.
strangely enough, i love his style, unique.  tongue

MeGaStReEt:

LOL  cheesy grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Kilode1: 2:33am On Apr 22, 2011
I think his attire is ok.

But he needs to lose that fedora hat already tongue
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by dayokanu(m): 2:38am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

#checkmyswag

Seriously, GEJ, step your game up, son. Get rid of that hat for something else grin grin grin

I am sure Jimmy Carter was feeling intimidated by OBj's swag
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Emmy3(m): 4:30am On Apr 22, 2011
Will his dressing:
create employment opportunities,
improve the level of the economy,
give life to anybody,
solve the electricity problem,
make you see heaven
?
his dressing means little or nothing
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by azeezengr(m): 5:41am On Apr 22, 2011
Let him remove the "fish-boy(abi na cow-boy) and replace with red cap since he claim to be "Azikwe". For those who are claiming that his dressing is traditional, may be they don't know the history of that cap and Ijaw. The Ijaws traditional dress is WRAPPER WITH BEAR CHEST And now that he is president elect I enjoyed him to add AWOLOWO to his name so that he could be addressed JONATHAN EBELECHUKWU GOODLUCK AZIKWE AWOLOWO(JEGAA), With this new name, he can start wearing Yoruba dress since they have better attires!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by ektbear: 5:45am On Apr 22, 2011
Hehe.

I've always felt that sw dress style is the best in naija (and west africa.) But then again, I'm heavily biased  tongue

Even if it came from the Hausa, we look way better in it than they do wink
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 6:02am On Apr 22, 2011
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by lagcity(m): 6:13am On Apr 22, 2011
dayokanu:

I am sure Jimmy Carter was feeling intimidated by OBj's swag

now i know why the Agbada is called a power dress. see as jimmy carter be like doorman beside OBJ.
mbatuku1:

Well it is now. it has been for a long time b4 the european arrival. the hausa also got it from mali. the hausa customized it and the yoruba changed it further with different styles.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

Wrong!
Both the Housa and Yoruba copied it from the Malians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Shettima Breaks Fast With Prison Inmates, Eats With Them (Photos) / Taju: Florence Ajimobi Meets Tajudeen Ibrahim Agbabiaka / Wike Buys 29 SUVs For Rivers Customary Court Judges (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.