Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? (31990 Views)

Poll: How do you find Dr. Goodluck Jonathan's dressing?

It's great: 29% (61 votes)
It's not bad: 37% (78 votes)
It's horrible: 33% (71 votes)
This poll has ended

You Are A Clown....tunji Braithwaite Blasts Obasanjo / Is Obiano A Clown? Photo / El Rufai Calls Governor Obi A Clown For Questioning His Presence In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by naijangel7(f): 7:15am On Apr 22, 2011
The Nigerian President, Goodluck, looks like a clown with his trademark dressing. Yes, I understand that may be his style but when you are the President of an important country like Nigeria then you must show up in a way to make people want to listen to you.

When you appear on the international stage dressed like a clown or a comedian, you look juvenile and nobody is going to take you serious. I have admired the noble dressing and appearance of past Nigerian Presidents who make us proud on the international stage but this Goodluck dude is killing it.

If he doesn't like the beautiful Nigerian agbada that your former Presidents wear then he must show up in a decent suit where it matters.

For now his dressing looks too comical for a President.

I take it the OP isn't Nigerian. Every Nigerian knows that Goodluck's dressing is peculiar to people from his ethnic group, albeit with many variations. The fedora hat is even worn by the men when they are dressed in a wrapper sometimes. I think we could care less if his attire of preference were a loincloth. the important thing is he should deliver on his campaign promises and that Nigerians shouldn't be made to feel like their trust in him was misplaced. Having said that, i think brighter colours may help him look better. he's not as ugly as the dark colours make him look and the hat hides his face.

MeGaStReEt:

transformer no dey around your house Help yourself
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Ystranger: 7:26am On Apr 22, 2011
mama-gee:

What are you implying?

Nothing. He just wants you to do us all a fovor: GO HUG A PHOCKING TRANSFORMER REEEETARD.

What a Bimbo!

Whatz up mummy-Gee?

nuzo:

Wrong!
Both the Housa and Yoruba copied it from the Malians.

Wrong! The Hausas and Malians copied it from the Yorubas.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by DeepSight(m): 7:38am On Apr 22, 2011
As per the cultural issue: let me just say this - Wherever the agbada originates from, it certainly is not European, is it?

The Grand Boubou/Bubu is one of the names for a flowing wide sleeved robe worn by men in much of West Africa, and to a lesser extent in North Africa, related to the Dashiki suit. It is known by various names, depending on the ethnic group wearing them: Agbada (Yoruba, Dagomba), Babban Riga (Hausa), K'sa (Tuareg) Grand Boubou (in various Francophone West African countries) and the English term of Gown. The Senegalese Boubou, a variation on the Grand Boubou described below, is also known as the Senegalese kaftan. The female version worn in some communities is also known as a M'boubou or Kaftan.

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires, (See Bisht and Kaftan for information on these).

The use of the Grand boubou as clothing became widespread throughout the West African region with the migration of semi-nomadic groups such as the Fulani, and traders such as the Dyula and Hausa. Comparing the Grand boubou to the various styles of Arabic [[[Thawb]] suggests the Grand boubou follows an archaic template to the contemporary male clothing of the Middle East and North Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agbada

What is annoying about the Hat is that it is such an obvious European relic. . . which is incongruous when you then term it a "traditional" outfit of an African tribe. It simply is not indigenous to Africa and as such looks ridiculous. . .

And i say this despite the fact that I am from Rivers State myself. I mean, the Agbada/ Boubou, Baban Riga is simply regal. The Niger-Delta oufit is not bad either if we would just lose the silly European Hat.

I have an English name, but I do not use it: my original Ijaw name sounds more like who I am.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by naijangel7(f): 7:41am On Apr 22, 2011
Ystranger:

Wrong!  The Hausas and Malians copied it from the Yorubas.

Really doesn't matter anymore, even Ghadaffi sef dey wear agbada grin I think it's just like the suit. It has become globalised like the dashiki.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Basics007: 7:44am On Apr 22, 2011
Ahhhh! What a breathe of fresh air . After 4 days of nothing but nonstop GEJ incompetence vs Bloodsucking almajiris we can now discuss something lighter. Thank heaven.
Dont see anything wrong with his dressing as long as there is electricity in Aso rock to iron his dress. Cant afford to see my president looking like rumpelstiltskin.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by SSaemoenl(m): 7:47am On Apr 22, 2011
I want to see him dress in suit for once!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by DeepSight(m): 7:49am On Apr 22, 2011
Ystranger:

Wrong! The Hausas and Malians copied it from the Yorubas.

This is absolutely false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agbada
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by naijangel7(f): 7:50am On Apr 22, 2011
SSaemoenl:

Start an online petition! grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 22, 2011
It's part of his culture, abeg. Leave am. I prefer him in his Leprechaun hat than in a suit.

I hope and pray he doesnt dress like those men tho. There's a limit, no skirts plz!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by SSaemoenl(m): 7:53am On Apr 22, 2011
mama-gee:

Why is anyone surprised on here?

Goodluck Jonathan has always been a clown in my book, it's nothing new.

My anger is on those that re-elected him as President.

But then, who would you like to win? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by DeepSight(m): 8:00am On Apr 22, 2011
SSaemoenl:

Enjoy - - -

Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by SSaemoenl(m): 8:02am On Apr 22, 2011
Deep Sight:

Enjoy - - -
^^^Oh,  thats Cool. Thanks poster!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by EzeUche3(m): 8:04am On Apr 22, 2011
I prefer the simple outfits of the Ndigbo elite.

[img]http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/offoaro/images/Some%20Igbo%20Chiefs%20at%20the%20Aka%20Ikenga%20Lecture%20venue%20-%20NIIA,%20Lagos.jpg[/img]
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 22, 2011
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by EzeUche3(m): 8:09am On Apr 22, 2011
^^^

He looks best in Igbo attire to be honest. undecided

Another testament of his Igbo heritage from Arochukwu!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 22, 2011
EzeUche__:

^^^

He looks best in Igbo attire to be honest.  undecided

Another testament of his Igbo heritage from Arochukwu!

I have to agree.

He doesnt have the Yoruba swag to wear an Agbada. His head is too big and round for the cap, his body is too somehow. . . .he should continue wearing his cloth, but he should exchange his leprechaun hat for the red cap.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 22, 2011
He's great in his native attire, better though in suits
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 22, 2011
Sambo looks better than GEJ in Agbada.

[img]http://www.nigeriadailynews.com/thumbnail.php?file=images1/Goodluck_Jonathan_acknowledging_cheers_741559421.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

blink182:

He's great in his native attire, better though in suits

He needs to wear hat with the size of that head tho.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by EzeUche3(m): 8:14am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I have to agree.

He doesnt have the Yoruba swag to wear an Agbada. His head is too big and round for the cap, his body is too somehow. . . .he should continue wearing his cloth, but he should exchange his leprechaun hat for the red cap.

This is when he is at his best.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGNg7yCkbDtRYT2VLmh9rja528CemeNi6Zi9yQaJF8WzhijYtodQ&t=1[/img]
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 22, 2011
^^^ Yep.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by naijangel7(f): 8:17am On Apr 22, 2011
He looks his best in a suit. plus he could still wear a fedora if he wants too and look normal.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 22, 2011
naijangel7:

He looks his best in a suit. plus he could still wear a fedora if he wants too and look normal.

LOL back to the jazz days!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Jakumo(m): 8:19am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I but he should exchange his leprechaun hat for the red cap.

[size=15pt]Leprechaun cap ?[/size]   This is sacrilege.  Where are my attorneys ?   Give me that phone, NOW !    Place all security agencies on RED ALERT.  

Odikwa serious.     I will not tolerate this kind of reckless misuse of the English Language.  What is becoming of this world ?

Wait,   let me finish off this bottle of Sap'le Wata.  I have more to say.   Much more.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 22, 2011
Jakumo:

Leprechaun cap ?   This is sacrilege.  Where are my attorneys ?   Give me that phone, NOW !    Place all security agencies on RED ALERT.  

Odikwa serious.     I will not tolerate this kind of reckless misuse of the English Language.  What is becoming of this world ?

Wait,   let me finish off this bottle of Sap'le Wata.  I have more to say.   Much more.

LOL Jakumo, you're not serious fa! grin grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by iudoagwu(m): 8:28am On Apr 22, 2011
HE IS UNIQUE!
HE IS SIMPLE!
HE IS GOOD LOOKING!
PEOPLE LIKE HIM THE WAY HE IS!
AND HE IS BETTER THAN SO MANY PAST ABOKIS SORRY EX-HOUSA HEAD OF STATES.

ALLOW HIM
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by johnie: 8:35am On Apr 22, 2011
Why do westerners wear a rope around their neck and call it a tie? The Iranians have lot about ties- ask them

Why does the president of Afhanistan wear a blanket around like those south american peasants (peruvians, bolivians, mexicans, argentines, etc)?

Why does Fidel Castro wear 'an army uniform'?

Why do the Indian hindu presidents wear large turbans and Saudi and other mid east royals wear those funny white robes?

Why does the Bolivian president wear that funny 'spanish' suit?

Why do westerners wear dark suits?

The answer? Culture!

You should see OBJ when he went to USA to visit Jimmy Carter. Carter looked like a 'boy' beside him with OBJ in his agbada!

Anyone with that photograph, please post!
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 22, 2011
Which Yorubas wear rope?
se eniyi tie moh nkan to n so?

@post

Talking about clowns. . .  .

Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 22, 2011
johnie you do have much to learn. You description of the way in which other cultures around the world dress makes you come off as ignorant.

I doubt anyone cannot tell the difference between a rope and a tie; one being a length of fibers and the other being a long piece of cloth.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by MIrhABi: 8:49am On Apr 22, 2011
That man too dey fall my hand,him dressing dey on the average.But you should see this man the other day he was campaigning in enugu,if you see the way the man was chewing kolanut.Chai!!,J boi go dey take ogogoro.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 22, 2011
The hat is irritating and un african. Culture my foot! That hat represents slavery one of those things the white men used to deceive the african rulers.
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by naijangel7(f): 8:51am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL back to the jazz days!

Better than the way he dresses now. Fedora with a suit looks retro. stylish grin
Re: Why Does The Nigerian President Dress Like A Clown? by johnie: 8:54am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke, hold your horses.

Westerners, not in the sense SW Nigeria but in the global sense.

I.e. Western world!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wike Buys 29 SUVs For Rivers Customary Court Judges (Photos) / APC Forum Rebukes Tinubu Over "Ready To Get Dirty' Comment / NURTW Already Lost Lagos, Sacking MC Oluomo After Withdrawal From Union Big Joke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.