Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? (19483 Views)

What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? / 3 Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business / Share Your Business Start-up Experience:what Challenges Did You Face? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by MoIbrahim: 5:00am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Hello nairalanders

I having a business idea that I am about to startup, I have acquired the capital and skillset ready to start small, I also have a clear cut business plan for it.

Now I just want to hear from other nairalanders the challenges they experienced when they started their business.

1. Finding workers with skill and good morals

2. Multiple taxation by government agents

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by femi4: 5:04am On Apr 26, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
1. That your grandiose plans are bullshit
2. That your idea isn't special or unique
3. That you need money to make money.
4. Your girlfriend, wife and family members will discourage you.
5. Your friends will disert you.
6. That you will work and work round the clock and nothing will show for all the work you have done.
7. People will promise you heaven and earth but wont follow up on their promises
8. You will have constant fear of the unknown and lot of financial insecurities until you make it.
9. You will be depressed, suicidal, cry and cry, pray to God for help to make your business successful but he wont listen.
10. You will be lonely, entrepreneurship is a lonely world. No help and nobody want to listen to your stories.
11. If you have employees, dem no understand, customers are owning you, all that matters to them is their salaries.
12. Betrayals.
13. Government policies, they can wake up one day and change every law to your disadvantage or advantage but be ready to adapt.
14. Investors, some are greedy, they can steal your business from you by enticing you with cash.
15. Bootstrap, Bootstrap, never depend on investors, they are evil.
16. You may not be successful
17.There is light at the end of the tunnel, never give up.

Entrepreneurship is hard, hard, hard job, it is not glamorous, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it, they promise me riches that i will be like Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg all i saw was pain pain pain but if you are successful, o boy, the reward is crazy. Nobody will understand the pain you went through.

If you can't do it, just find a job.

From experience not from motivational books

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by mimilogistics: 5:14am On Apr 26, 2021
Interesting topic. Op no matter the advice you get from here, you still need to prepare for your own experience, but never you give up. Wishing you and your new business God speed.

Let's help you pay your Chinese suppliers in RMB to their China bank accounts at the rate of 74.8 for bulk payments. Small RMB payments attract higher but favorable rate still. Chat our Nigerian customer care on WhatsApp 234 9096 712 144
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 5:29am On Apr 26, 2021
steric58:
Low patronage, food business.
How are things now?
Hope they are much better?
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by nativefowl(m): 5:37am On Apr 26, 2021
funds is the major challenge I face, so I have to do everything bit by bit
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Mozegee: 5:53am On Apr 26, 2021
Mark my word,u will go far in life.
buygala:
Have alternative power sources

Dont Sell on credit

Dont Sleep with your sales girl

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by hakeem4(m): 5:58am On Apr 26, 2021
Each business has its own peculiar challenges.

I deal with training people all over the world civil engineering softwares. It means I have to be online almost all the time because of time difference

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by jericco1(m): 6:00am On Apr 26, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
6. That you will work and work round the clock and nothing will show for all the work you have done.
7. People will promise you heaven and earth but wont follow up on their promises
8. You will have constant fear of the unknown and lot of financial insecurities until you make it.
9. You will be depressed, suicidal, cry and cry, pray to God for help to make your business successful but he wont listen.
10. You will be lonely, entrepreneurship is a lonely world. No help and nobody want to listen to your stories.
11. If you have employees, dem no understand, customers are owning you, all that matters to them is their salaries.
12. Betrayals.
13. Government policies, they can wake up one day and change every law to your disadvantage or advantage but be ready to adapt.
14. Investors, some are greedy, they can steal your business from you by enticing you with cash.

Entrepreneurship is hard, hard, hard job, it is not glamorous, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it, they promise me riches that i will be like Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg all i saw was pain pain pain but if you are successful, o boy, the reward is crazy. Nobody will understand the pain you went through.

You don turn Noah
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by passionberry(f): 6:05am On Apr 26, 2021
steric58:
Low patronage, food business.

Same here oh ..I had to rent my shop sell everything to one woman ,go find job again ..business should rest for now ..I can not come and kill myself ...lagosians dey use juju sell market oh if u join them you won't sell .

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by horladexino(m): 6:08am On Apr 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Na experience things go better, add cash back stuffs to the biz.
I will Baba thanks
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 26, 2021
- Don't start with investors: Investors only care about the money and not the long term goal
- Never start on credit or a loan: Your revenue will always come up short as you pay.. pay..pay
- Never attend to family issues that ain't your first family. Seperate business and family
- Start in a country that supports entrepreneurs eg. Cheaper start up taxes, less stress to start up, lots of loopholes in the tax system etc.
- Have a contingency plan in case things go bust. So you leave with some cash to boost you back up

3 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Trustedpronet: 6:13am On Apr 26, 2021
After acquiring the necessary knowledge needed to startup a business the challenges most Nigerians face is too enormous.
1. Funding
2. Fear of Failing
3. Multiple LGA and FG tax forces
4. Getting the right staffing
5. Insecurity
6. Exchange Rate
7. Local and international- (China) Competitor
8. Village people attacks
9. Pastors Collecting 10% out of every sales
10. Payment to juju lords that made you believed without them you will not succeed
11. Accessing the original anointing oil from men of God
12. Imams killing Ram to purify the land
13. Electricity
14. Fuel increase
15. Buying Data and Making Calls
1000. Buhari & Pantami.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Cnach: 6:15am On Apr 26, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD

NA OPATA YOU DEY YARN!

PLS SANE NAIRALANDERS, MAKE UNA POST COMMENTS MAKE I READ BETTER THINGS
Person wey never sell even pure water
Copied rubbish from one book.

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by HabaHaba: 6:26am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Hello nairalanders

I having a business idea that I am about to startup, I have acquired the capital and skillset ready to start small, I also have a clear cut business plan for it.

Now I just want to hear from other nairalanders the challenges they experienced when they started their business.

1. Organize your accounts prudently. Don't eat from the business. Let business money be for bus3. Treat it totally as if it's not yours.

2. Pay your tax and government fees diligently, don't procrastinate on payments. Don't cut corners.
3. Let your bank account be reviewed periodically and personally, say monthly and make sure everything is balanced to the penny.
4. Develop a very comprehensive Customer Care, and customer relationships management plan. Learn from successful blue chips companies.
5. List a number of Business mentors and learn what they do and how they maintained their business.
6. Before beginning the day, pray for the business and for your customers, and for your competitors also. God is spiritual, and He is the one that gives the power to make wealth, so is the business spiritual.
7. Read newspapers and Business news every day. Don't play with this habit, you see new things and learn government policies that may affect your business before hand.
8. DON'T MIX BUSINESS WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS.
9. ALWAYS BE PUNCTUAL, LEADERSHIP IS ALWAYS BY EXAMPLE. BE THE FIRST TO OFFICE ALWAYS.
10. Constantly learn and TRAIN your staff, and try and imbibe your Business Vision into them.

3 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by slimthugchimee2(m): 6:32am On Apr 26, 2021
Olofin2:
The govt of Ondo state went after me.

At the end of my nysc year in Ondo state in 2013, I established a desktop publishing centre in the town where I served. My prices for publishing per page and photocopy were half of what the locals were charging. I was approached not to destroy their means of livelihood with my charges. I refused. Next thing was that the local government officials came and demanded for tax of 15k in a business that was less than 3 months old. I had not made 15k since when I started that business.

So, they seized my equipments until I was able to pay.

After that, Ondo state internal revenue came demanding for 27k tax. I flared up and they closed my shop and took my computers, generator and photocopy machine away. I got them back after payment and left Ondo state forever.

Thanks for this
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Incips: 6:38am On Apr 26, 2021
Lack of capital.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Dradetosinije: 6:48am On Apr 26, 2021
Olofin2:

At the end of my nysc year in Ondo state in 2013, I established a desktop publishing centre in the town where I served. My prices for publishing per page and photocopy were half of what the locals were charging. I was approached not to destroy their means of livelihood with my charges. I refused. Next thing was that the local government officials came and demanded for tax of 15k in a business that was less than 3 months old. I had not made 15k since when I started that business.

After that, Ondo state internal revenue came demanding for 27k tax. I flared up and they closed my shop and took my computers, generator and photocopy machine away. I got them back after payment and left Ondo state forever.
Why didn't charge the normal rate?
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by seanwilliam(m): 6:53am On Apr 26, 2021
A particular vendor failed to pay me 400k that was reversed to his account .. and I had to gather funds and pay my supplier. And. This is recent

Omo na now i know why rich men Dey stingy

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by NairalandAngel(m): 7:01am On Apr 26, 2021
Dishonest Nigerian clients and business partners!

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Zubydeangelo(m): 7:03am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Hello nairalanders

Location and electricity

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Skillsnigeria: 7:05am On Apr 26, 2021
hmmm
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by NairalandAngel(m): 7:06am On Apr 26, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:
Basically dealing with niggerians.

Basically everyone trying to steal from you...very terrible people!

4 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 26, 2021
horladexino:
It is very frustrating when you don't have enough capital for starting business and bad location causing of low sale.
I may not earn more than #500 for the whole week to the point of thinking of begging on nairaland, I has typed the messages before I deleted it for shameless shake
I am phone repair technician and selling of accessories but making no sale is making my life to be frustrated and miserable

MY brother please ensure you have enough capital for a start up and good location if not it will end in premiums tears
Where is the best location in this kind of business?I think phone repair can thrive anywhere
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by abimbola74(m): 7:30am On Apr 26, 2021
passionberry:

Same here oh ..I had to rent my shop sell everything to one woman ,go find job again ..business should rest for now ..I can not come and kill myself ...lagosians dey use juju sell market oh if u join them you won't sell .
Please I will like to dm you to ask further questions as regard this food business.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 26, 2021
Sheuns:
I started my current business with zero naira zero kobo. You don’t always need money to start a business. My business is actually service based, we render services, so there was no need for capital. All it started with was adequate knowledge of the area, my smartphone, PC and a customer.

That first customer (a friend) referred more customers and I decided to make it a business. We’ve been on for 3 years now and we’re growing gradually. It’s not been easy, but we’ve been relentless.

What we do is procurement and import from China to Lagos.
Which business no need capital for Nigeria?
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 7:33am On Apr 26, 2021
passionberry:

Was it a food business?
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by emmnprince(m): 7:34am On Apr 26, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD

NA OPATA YOU DEY YARN!

PLS SANE NAIRALANDERS, MAKE UNA POST COMMENTS MAKE I READ BETTER THINGS

You're always incensed when you see his comments. Why? Abi he dey follow you drag your wife, abi he frustrated your effort to achieve your goals of . . .

Why not just waka pass whenever you see him comment if e go trigger d beast in u to react.

And the guy dey make sense with him comments sometimes o.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Zealoy(m): 7:37am On Apr 26, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
12. Betrayals.

you just described everything that happened to me
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by emmnprince(m): 7:47am On Apr 26, 2021
Olofin2:

I can relate with your experience. You're a threat to their business and they cannot stand competition. They sought the local power that be to frustrate you, and they were successful at the end.

Sometimes, unexpected external force employed by competitors when one doesn't have similar force can hamper one's growth especially when one doesn't have a similar one.

3 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by legallyminded: 7:51am On Apr 26, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
12. Betrayals.

95%

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N100 Monthly Charge On First-Bank ATM Withdrawals / Which Business Can I Start As A Chemistry Graduate ? / Naira Falls To N460 Per Dollar In Black Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.