Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Do You Support A North/South Referendum? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Support A North/South Referendum? (2395 Views)

Poll: Do You Support A North/south Referendum?

Yes: 87% (49 votes)
No: 12% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

USA Politician Supports Biafra Referendum / CNN Refers To Nigeria As A North African Country / Would You Support A Dora Akunyili Led Inec? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 11:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
I'd prefer the south to be split into three. Biafra, ND Republic and Oodua republic. I personally won't like to be in the same country with Yorubas. There will still be no peace and harmony.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by ShangoThor(m): 11:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
Whenever Southerners show a sign of Unity and an indication of creating a utopia, Northerners will always appear in the thread trying desperately to jinx it.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Digriz(m): 11:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
Justcash:

I'd prefer the south to be split into three. Biafra, ND Republic and Oodua republic. I personally won't like to be in the same country with Yorubas. There will still be no peace and harmony.
mind u,you are deviating ths into a tribal bashing thread again.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by aljharem(m): 11:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
ShangoThor:

Whenever Southerners show a sign of Unity and an indication of creating a utopia, Northerners will always appear in the thread trying desperately to jinx it.

look yu have to be really with urself, there is nothing like southern nigeria

we have ijaws

yorubas

igbos

ibibio/annag

etc

there will never be a southern nigeria until igbo publically apologises to nigerians for uniting the south and the north through nnamadi
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by OAM4J: 11:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
It doesn't matter whether I support it or not. It's not gonna happen except there is a revolution.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 12:02am On Apr 26, 2011
Digriz:

mind u,you are deviating ths into a[b] tribal bashing thread[/b] again.
How? By saying that I'd prefer Igbos not to live in one country with Yorubas? Is that not factual? How can we get out of an unholy marriage, to another unholy marriage? We quarreled in this country called Nigeria for 50 yrs without achievements. I don't want my people to fall into another country where there will be quarrels and disagreements without progress. I proposed 3 countries, Biafra, ND and Oodua. That will be more ideal for peace and progress.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by ektbear: 12:03am On Apr 26, 2011
alj harem:

there will never be a southern nigeria until igbo publically apologises to nigerians for uniting the south and the north through nnamadi
grin grin grin
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 12:05am On Apr 26, 2011
OAM4J:

It doesn't matter whether I support it or not. It's not gonna happen except there is a revolution.

It will happen. It will be gracefully executed by the same people that fought against it in the past. The madness that will ensure it will never cease.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by ShangoThor(m): 12:11am On Apr 26, 2011
alj harem:

we have ijaws

yorubas

igbos

ibibio/annag

etc

Nice try Alj Harem, I must say you are coming across as extremely desperate in a bid to jinx a rational transcending cross and multi ethnic consensus from
developing as a response to the mass murders perpetrated by your clans men, or co-believers.

Seriously, it's no big EEEEEE, form your own country!
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by OAM4J: 12:14am On Apr 26, 2011
Justcash:

It will happen. It will be gracefully executed by the same people that fought against it in the past. The madness that will ensure it will never cease.

Dream on my brother. It will happen when the Southern oil finishes. For me only violent revolution can make it happen and majority of us in the South are cowards, forget about all these internet warriors
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Nadanbata: 12:24am On Apr 26, 2011
OAM4J:

Dream on my brother. It will happen when the Southern oil finishes. For me only violent revolution can make it happen and majority of us in the South are cowards, forget about all these internet warriors

My bro. You understand fully grin grin . Thats why we should remove the leders and fight the corruption, end that and Nigerias development will accelerate.

Aint no Split happening only GOOD LEADERS or CIVIL WAR will grant it.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 12:26am On Apr 26, 2011
OAM4J:

[b]Like I said, it will happen. Oil will be irrelevant when the polity becomes heated up. Contrary to your view, any entity that stands against it will be inflicted with a bitter and unforgettable pain. No one wants to bear that pain, especially with every group trying to protect their pride by claiming independence from other groups. At the moment, it is the people that own most of the oil that are in control of Nigeria. They are the ones protecting the fragile peace and unity of Nigeria because they are being held high like the golden eggs. When the madness from the parasites continue unabated, they will run out of patience, and oil will become irrelevant because they will cripple its supply and as usual, other groups will want out to show that they care less about oil. You and I know who will be the Ghaddaffi and which side will be aided by world powers when your supposed war breaks out. All that the world powers need to support a side are viable deals. Giving them oil fields owned by the parasites is enough for them to send rockets and jets to cripple the defense system of the parasites. [/b]
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by LeMolar: 1:00am On Apr 26, 2011
Justcash:

I Agree With You 101% South Should Be Divided Into 3 Country So Every Body Should Have Peace Nobody Should Listen To Ezeuche Who Want Stay In The Same Country With Yoruba People Who Hate IGbo People
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 1:07am On Apr 26, 2011
Justcash, this is hard for me to say this, but I am going to need you to shut up. If you want other nations to support a referendum, you need a blueprint, in which they will support. They will not support a South that is divided. The south-west would not be able to go to the UN and have their blessing, nor will the south-east be able to do so either. The fact remains that both regions need each other if there is to be a referendum. A united front, is what we need.

How do you think Southern Sudan got its freedom? You know that Southern Sudan is not homogeneous don't you? It is a heterogeneous nation that has many different groups of people, but they all were united against an Arab north. The same can happen to Nigeria. If we stand united against the religious extremism found in the North, then we will be able to have our own nation.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Nobody: 1:14am On Apr 26, 2011
Big YEEEEESSSSSS!!! And guess what. I'm hausa and myself and alot of people i know have been praying for this for years now. Please start the movement, you'll be shocked with the support we here will deliver
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by LeMolar: 1:14am On Apr 26, 2011
alj harem:

we have ijaws

yorubas

igbos

ibibio/annag

etc

alj harem Or Whatever You Call Yourself Nigerian Must Be Divided We Are Sick And Tired  Of  You  People Hausa/Fulani  Their Is Nothing Good That Can Come Out Of You People. We The Middle Belt Want Our Own Country Because We Do Not Want To  Stay In The Same Country With You People  Again
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 1:26am On Apr 26, 2011
EzeUche__:

Justcash, this is hard for me to say this, but I am going to need you to shut up. If you want other nations to support a referendum, you need a blueprint, in which they will support. They will not support a South that is divided. The south-west would not be able to go to the UN and have their blessing, nor will the south-east be able to do so either. The fact remains that both regions need each other if there is to be a referendum. A united front, is what we need.

How do you think Southern Sudan got its freedom? You know that Southern Sudan is not homogeneous don't you? It is a heterogeneous nation that has many different groups of people, but they all were united against an Arab north. The same can happen to Nigeria. If we stand united against the religious extremism found in the North, then we will be able to have our own nation.

Who told you the SW and SE cannot go to the  UN and get their blessing? Why do you think so? Does it take the presentation of a virgin mosquito that can only be found around the north for them to agree? So going to the UN with enough evidence of constant strife , retrogressiveness and disunity in Nigeria is not enough reason to dismember the country for the progress of its constituent nations? So, if the SS, SE and SW goes to the UN seeking for their own countries they will be rejected because of the North? Even when the North keeps slaughtering them for nothing? You gat to be joking. We don't even need to go to the UN, they will come to us when the time comes. By the time oil prices hit $300 P/B, and they will come to us.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 1:32am On Apr 26, 2011
DivideUs:

Big YEEEEESSSSSS!!! And guess what. I'm hausa and myself and alot of people i know have been praying for this for years now. Please start the movement, you'll be shocked with the support we here will deliver

EZEUCHE, You see what I mean. Pride. Who wants to be known to be dependent on another group? The North will not hamper any effort to divide Nigeria. It is the political elites that are so afraid of letting the country crumble, so that they will not have it on their heads. They are the ones that own oil wells. Their days are numbered.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 1:38am On Apr 26, 2011
Beaf:

It will be bloody foolish for Igbo and Yoruba people not to coorperate on national issues that deal with federalism or disolution. When the deed is done, then you can walk your own way if thats your ultimate goal, but to begin talking about some hatred getting in the way of necessary steps to your progress will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Beaf represents my views on this issue.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Dawgpound: 1:53am On Apr 26, 2011
yes
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Apr 26, 2011
Justcash:

Who told you the SW and SE cannot go to the  UN and get their blessing? Why do you think so? Does it take the presentation of a virgin mosquito that can only be found around the north for them to agree? So going to the UN with enough evidence of constant strife , retrogressiveness and disunity in Nigeria is not enough reason to dismember the country for the progress of its constituent nations? So, if the SS, SE and SW goes to the UN seeking for their own countries they will be rejected because of the North? Even when the North keeps slaughtering them for nothing? You gat to be joking. We don't even need to go to the UN, they will come to us when the time comes. By the time oil prices hit $300 P/B, and they will come to us.

I think most are talking about creating a Southern Nigeria first, then in this cooler climate the different fractions can decide if they want to further split, this way the UN will jump to the call for the north and south to be divided because they are already aware of all the tension and they will immediately think that this is the Islam/Christian divide they've seen in South Sudan, so they'd be quicker to work because they wouldn't want another war on their hands. When the two countries are created, the different southern groups can agree to split and recognise each other instead of relying on the UN.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 2:00am On Apr 26, 2011
ezeagu:

I think most are talking about creating a Southern Nigeria first, then in this cooler climate the different fractions can decide if they want to further split, this way the UN will jump to the call for the north and south to be divided because they are already aware of all the tension and they will immediately think that this is the Islam/Christian divide they've seen in South Sudan, so they'd be quicker to work because they wouldn't want another war on their hands. When the two countries are created, the different southern groups can agree to split and recognise each other instead of relying on the UN.

Another wise man who understand what most people want. Thank you!
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Justcash(m): 2:08am On Apr 26, 2011
ezeagu:

And what gave you the impression that the West will agree to split with the East and especially the South after the division has been ensured? Is it really going to be that easy? You sure know that the West will want to hold onto a southern unity?
Well, I prefer a Southern country than Nigeria as it is now. Still the current Nigerian Political trend will  exist in a Southern Nigerian country, though in a more subtle way.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by GAR3TH(m): 3:48am On Apr 26, 2011
I voted no, there is really no reason to split Nigeria and the majority of Nigeria's problems can easily be fixed. Nigeria has been progressing since 1999 and even though it has been slow in some places we still made progress none the less.

But even though I voted no i still made some predictions:

I believe the only way that Nigeria will split is if the north decided to break free and form a new republic or more likely join the republic of Niger. many people on here keep saying the south will be the one that will split but think about it, why would the south want to split while the south does not have that many Problems? Apparently the North is pissed off about the elections, extreme Poverty, no Infrastructure, Extreme lack of Education, the constant Riots, receives very little allocation from the feds etc etc. while the south has most if not all of Nigeria's goodies such as better education, better infrastructure, less poverty etc etc when compared with the north.

So basically the north receives little allocation from the federal gov due to the fact that they dont produce oil and dont have that many natural resources. And Because of the discovery of oil,  the agricultural generated economy in the north crashed, Creating what we see today. So basically from the norths point of view it is the south that is the problem due to the fact that resource allocations aren't shared properly and oil basically crash their economy. Thats why I think the north will break free.

Lets face it if the north leaves the standard of living will increase in nigeria and Nigeria's HDI will increase due to the fact the the north is the one holding nigeria down in global statistic due to the fact tha many in the north are poorer compared to the south.

And when I say north I'm talking about the core north, the states that borders Niger. those are some of the poorest states in the country. other northern state such as kaduna will most likely stay in southern nigeria due to the fact that they gain from Nigeria's oil wealth. But I will predict that there will be alot of violence in the border states of northern and southern nigeria due to the fact that people in the middle and both sides may not agree with the new borders. I created a map below so you have a visual.

Later Years:

After the fighting has settled down both sides rebuild the damage that happened in the border states. I also believe in a separate incidence that english speaking southern cameroon will break free from the Dictator in French-cameroom. But due to the fact that the french-cameroon wont allow that to happen and will send in their military, southern Cameroon will join southern Nigeria for protection, in addition to the fact that nigeria is an english speaking country and a democracy.

I also feel a Pakistan - India Rivalry that will happen between the two countries, and will result in an arms race which will hinder standard of living.

Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 3:50am On Apr 26, 2011
This political map can help us with our split. Thank you 2011 elections.

Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by vladimiros: 4:37am On Apr 26, 2011
I voted no, there is really no reason to split Nigeria and the majority of Nigeria's problems can easily be fixed. Nigeria has been progressing since 1999 and even though it has been slow in some places we still made progress none the less. [/quote

am a very optimistic person

but if the North with their uncivilised youth who can`t stand a christian president are not separated this will continue
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 26, 2011
Ok, i think i need to leave this forum because i can see its not a serious place for discussions about a way to move towards a successful breakup (more about hate and greed) Most people here are either dumb or just plain stupid, do you really think thats the way nigeria will break or is it all wishful thinking because of abuja? Why do you think there were riots in adamawa, nasarawa and niger? I think most of you just hear about the north and have never been here! I pray the time comes and soon for that matter, we'll see where your so called border states will decide to fall into. Be realistic in this approach and we just might succeed
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by ShangoThor(m): 9:30am On Apr 26, 2011
DivideUs:

Ok, i think i need to leave this forum because i can see its not a serious place for discussions about a way to move towards a successful breakup (more about hate and greed) Most people here are either dumb or just plain silly, do you really think thats the way nigeria will break or is it all wishful thinking because of abuja? Why do you think there were riots in adamawa, nasarawa and niger? I think most of you just hear about the north and have never been here! I pray the time comes and soon for that matter, we'll see where your so called border states will decide to fall into. Be realistic in this approach and we just might succeed

Thanks for contributing in an extremely meaningful way. I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how border states choose to vote in this matter.

I believe this has to be done and the core Muslim North crave self determination. However, to wait indefinitely and not seeking to formulate or implement a
solution to this if we are serious about being a 'CIVILISED' Nation is not an option.

We do not live during the Biblical era, the internal security threat of Mass Murder perpetrated by Mobs has to be checked.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 2:27pm On Apr 26, 2011
More contributions please.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Akanbiedu(m): 2:31pm On Apr 26, 2011
Living in Southern Nigeria will be like living in another Nigeria. Talk about dealing with so many tiny ethnicities all claiming marginalisation again.
I'd rather have a Yoruba nation than living in another Nigeria.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by EzeUche3(m): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
^^^

Well that is your opinion. A simple yes or no would suffice.
Re: Do You Support A North/South Referendum? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 26, 2011
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Geographic zone In Nigeria that Mostly indulge In Hard Drug Use / I Stand by Amaechi - Cramjones / Slain Nigerian Soldier Wanted Buhari As President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.