Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) (28021 Views)

38 Years Old, 40k Salary, 5 Children Living In One Room / Families That Live In One Room, How Do You People Cope With Privacy / How Do You Cope If Married To Someone You Don't Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 6:27pm On May 13, 2021
225 KataKata Street Blues...

Experienced that phase but thank God the story changed along the way, it's no miracle though, I had to leave home as quick as possible so as to provide ample space for my siblings, taking our bath everyday was like a marathon, cooking wasn't funny too and we still had to cope with the heat in a room with no proper ventilation.

3 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Pavore9: 6:32pm On May 13, 2021
sevenhundred:
does that mean the bad government is forever? We might still have good leaders. Who value human resources and know how to utilize it.

Nigeria as a country will not be forever and "might" is a word too risky to base birthing and raising such number of children on.

4 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 13, 2021
Yeah,... we once live like that,... we survived it and Alhamdulilah for today.

We are under our own roof cool cool

1 Like

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Uncleodi(m): 6:36pm On May 13, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:

Governemt has made birth control freely available at least since the early 1990s

Infact if you live in the cities birth control is freely available at any government hospital

The problem is people don't use it.

I remember counselling a patient about birth control and contraception generally. She just looked at me like I was wearing the back of my clothes grin

You can take a horse to the river, but you cannot force it to drink water

4 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Uncleodi(m): 6:38pm On May 13, 2021
Greystone:

My former landlord's security man had 2 wives and 9 children. His salary then was 10k/ mnth. They wer all living in one room.

Imagine the idio.t. approaching my neighbour to contribute that he wanted to get a 3rd wife. angry

Your neighbour should have instead asked the gate man to assist him get a second wife
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Dicedpineappple(f): 6:40pm On May 13, 2021
I honestly can't deal....
But many families grow out of it and become better...
But I won't vouch for it..
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by jchioma: 6:41pm On May 13, 2021
Such living conditions are not fit for a growing family. The inconveniences are too many.
It becomes quite discomforting for everyone and privacy becomes an issue.
The reality is there are millions of family trapped in this kind of arrangement and it's sad.

5 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by mrwonlasewonie: 6:44pm On May 13, 2021
PuZZyNegro:
In Economics, low income families give birth to many children because to them, children are investment goods while high income families give birth to fewer children because to them, children are consumption goods.

To a rich man, children are substitute goods, to a poor man, children are complementary goods.

Factors that affect the fertility rate in Nigeria are

1. Price (cost) of raising children
2. Income of the household
3. Taste and preference
4. Cost of other goods.

Now, looking at the cost of raising children, a man that lives at Lekki will definitely want to have fewer children because the cost of raising one child is high considering the environmental factors like school fees, rent, etc. Unlike a man living at Ijegun that will only need to drop 500 naira at home for the lunch of 5 children. Now, you know why someone living in the low-brow area of the city will most likely give birth to more children? Because it costs him less to raise them. They can go to government school for all that he cares!

Income of the household. Lower income should have mean fewer number of children but the reverse is the case in this country due to lack of education and exposure.

Taste and preference. People with high taste will want to have fewer number of children so to maintain a minimum living standard.

Cost of other goods. The higher the cost of other goods, the fewer the number of children should be.

Nigeria has factors 2 and 4 to help us reduce the population boom but high level of ignorance rather made it to work against us.

If you took your time to read this, please save the society by giving birth to no more than 3 children irrespective of the genders. Whatever 6 children will do for you, 3 children when properly trained can do it.
you no add the cultural factors.you go see Okada man, gateman or vulcaniser wey no see Food chop go dey get mind to marry 2,3 wives,carry all of them pack for inside 1 room with over 12 children

Na those poor people wey dey fertile pass and their konji Na non stop lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Greystone: 6:45pm On May 13, 2021
Uncleodi:

Your neighbour should have instead asked the gate man to assist him get a second wife

My neighbour was still a single man then sef grin

1 Like

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by hansomb: 6:46pm On May 13, 2021
Sebastine1994:
oboy the stress too much, heat and everything,

my sisters are pain in the ass, I want to give them out in marriage

check her out
em em, the one holding phone, link us.
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Puhrs: 6:48pm On May 13, 2021
They will
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by PuZZyNegro: 6:58pm On May 13, 2021
xandy84:
I disagree with you about the reason poor people has more kids. Sociologist believed that poor people have more kids cos they have fewer means of entertainment when compare to rich people and will result to more sexual intercourse, hence more kids.. Ask yourself, when was the last time a neighborhood plumber, carpenter goes to the movie with his wife? Maybe never but will have sex with his wife often.

You said Sociologist but I stated in my submission, Economists. Geographers will have a different view, so will other disciplines

4 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by PuZZyNegro: 7:01pm On May 13, 2021
mrwonlasewonie:
you no add the cultural factors.you go see Okada man, gateman or vulcaniser wey no see Food chop go dey get mind to marry 2,3 wives,carry all of them pack for inside 1 room with over 12 children

Na those poor people wey dey fertile pass and their konji Na non stop lipsrsealed

Actually, what I stated is the model that affect fertility in Nigeria.

If I should include other factors like culture, religion, social security, health system, insurance, family planning, education of the girl child, early marriage, mass media, etc.

Those are the normal factors but I only stated the model child bearing is a function of the four factors where two of the factors are positively related to child bearing while the other two are negatively related to it.
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by smogia1994(m): 7:03pm On May 13, 2021
I could remember vividly in ABUJA in the year 1994-2003, my dad mum and 4 children lived in a single room located at kubwa. We stuggled thru thin d thick to make sure we survived, me as a growing boy I saw fault in it. I wasn't happy if the situation den but wat can I do. We prayed and fasted for things to get better. Boom my parent had the last child making it 5 in a single room that is 2005. We were mocked by neighbor, laughed and make jest of. I was always blaming my self that why was I brought up in this type of life but then we strive and conquered. In 2005 obj the den president started selling govt houses to people in which we occupied. My dad was so fortunate to have gotten and applied for the said house. Out neighbors that mocked and make jest if us was vindicated from the 2 bedroom flat we are the only occupant. Things started getting better from there. Those houses were sold for abt 900k by fed govt to be paid for 35yrs. Now we are landlords in abj and the said house is estimated over 15-20m
Never forget ur humble beginnings, don't ever accept failure if u fall stand. To rent hus in abj for a 2bed room in the said area it's estimated to 700k see how God does his thing.
But not withstanding say no to too much children, 2 is okay. Even the rich have just 1 or 2. Be wise and stay good

10 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Lastmankc(m): 7:03pm On May 13, 2021
Sebastine1994:

check her out
The skull slammer,you don slamm skull to the extent your forehead don turn black.Very soon, you will need a skull transplant.

3 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by sylvez(m): 7:17pm On May 13, 2021
michlins:
Bro you spilled facts and we need to hear them. Going into marriage with the hope of things getting better is wickedness. If you're poor, don't bring someone's daughter and unborn kids into the space.

Work hard until you're comfortable enough before getting married. And when you marry, it's not a must to start making babies. Do so when you get the financial strength to do it. Gone are the days you hope for a better tomorrow. Right now, you imagine that the worse is going to happen and get prepared for it

"Gone are the days you hope for a better tomorrow" so which tomorrow are you going to be "comfortable enough before getting married" or
Which year are you going to have "financial strength to do it"? is it when you are 40 or 50?

What happened to planning for the future? building together?

You, the OP and every other person commenting are all making sense, but we all must understand that:

1. Poverty is relative
2. Being rich is also relative
3. Different people exist for different reasons
4. Money is everything but everything is not money

3 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Femsyn(m): 7:19pm On May 13, 2021
Another quiet but key reason people birth many children is mere competition. Mama Ejiro has 5 children, I must have more. Its just bragging rights, that even the couples don't talk about.

Even now, couples, if not for restraint, tend to feel pressured when colleagues are having certain number of children.

Strange, but this is reality!

4 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by FatherCHRISTMAS: 7:19pm On May 13, 2021
Nice post op. The thing is that kind of setup isn't strange. Alot of people started like that. It's not as if father's and mothers want to start like that but.....

We were 8 in a room before uncle Mikael joined us.
Thank God things changed gradually
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Alicio: 7:19pm On May 13, 2021
[Chai! Only if I could give you a hundred like. You got the idea.quote author=PuZZyNegro post=101654989]In Economics, low income families give birth to many children because to them, children are investment goods while high income families give birth to fewer children because to them, children are consumption goods.

To a rich man, children are substitute goods, to a poor man, children are complementary goods.

Factors that affect the fertility rate in Nigeria are

1. Price (cost) of raising children
2. Income of the household
3. Taste and preference
4. Cost of other goods.

Now, looking at the cost of raising children, a man that lives at Lekki will definitely want to have fewer children because the cost of raising one child is high considering the environmental factors like school fees, rent, etc. Unlike a man living at Ijegun that will only need to drop 500 naira at home for the lunch of 5 children. Now, you know why someone living in the low-brow area of the city will most likely give birth to more children? Because it costs him less to raise them. They can go to government school for all that he cares!

Income of the household. Lower income should have mean fewer number of children but the reverse is the case in this country due to lack of education and exposure.

Taste and preference. People with high taste will want to have fewer number of children so to maintain a minimum living standard.

Cost of other goods. The higher the cost of other goods, the fewer the number of children should be.

Nigeria has factors 2 and 4 to help us reduce the population boom but high level of ignorance rather made it to work against us.

If you took your time to read this, please save the society by giving birth to no more than 3 children irrespective of the genders. Whatever 6 children will do for you, 3 children when properly trained can do it. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by mrwonlasewonie: 7:26pm On May 13, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

Actually, what I stated is the model that affect fertility in Nigeria.

If I should include other factors like culture, religion, social security, health system, insurance, family planning, education of the girl child, early marriage, mass media, etc.

Those are the normal factors but I only stated the model child bearing is a function of the four factors where two of the factors are positively related to child bearing while the other two are negatively related to it.
chaiii I don't see this antecedents stopping anytime soon plus the almajari system/culture has made it worse lipsrsealed

You go see 19 year old pikin wey be normadic cow rearer dey marry 3 underage wives..

Tufiakwa lipsrsealed
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Saintinoo(m): 7:32pm On May 13, 2021
RealSolution001:
Although nobody can predict the future but there are people who deliberately walk into unfavourable condition. As a writer of this article, age wise I'm due for marriage but I don't give a damn about it not until I'm able to get a good job that can guarantee me at least one bedroom. Besides, the path Nigeria is tilting towards economically demands one to use his head sufficiently when doing things that has future implications. I live in one room apartment as years now since I graduated from the University I haven't been able to find a good paying job. In this compound, we share toilet/bathroom with no specific place to call kitchen. You just have to create a space for your cooking and the gas cylinder returned inside after cooking. In fact, looking at the structure of the building, it wasn't designed to accommodate people in family setting but singles but today, agents and the lawyer have brought so many married people into the place.

Living in one room as family

There are four different married (legally or illegally) people living in the compound as thus:

Family A has husband, wife, 3 children and two relative all living inside I room.

Family B has husband, wife, 3 children (currently the wife is pregnant for the fourth child) and a relative inside one room.

Family C has husband, wife, 2 children (currently the wife is pregnant for the 3rd child) and also a relative living inside one room while

Family D has husband, wife, two children and two relatives and mother in-law living in one room.
Crazy right? While this article is not in anyway intended to make jest of anybody but what I don't seem to understand is people living inside one room and still give birth to multiple of children into same. I mean are these people comfortable with their condition? Are they comfortable with poverty? To me, I think it's crazy. How do they cope? No privacy between the husband and the wife. Even the sex that led to their wives' current pregnancy, how, where and when did it happen when they have absolutely no privacy of their own. Also, these people can disturb. Is it because I'm not married? Always either asking for one thing or the other. "Abeg make I use your gas boil water for Garri. My own just finish". "Abeg you get Garri?" "Abeg borrow me 2k I go give you back". "Abeg u get Maggi?" "Abeg give me your toothpaste". "Abeg make I use your detergent" "abeg give me small pepper" and almost anything else you can think of. Haba! Habatically!! I'm tired please.

In my submission, I think government as a matter of urgency should do something about birth/population control in the country. Already, one of the factors that have given birth to the present state of Nigeria is over population which has led to high rate of unemployment, poverty and consequently, crime. Also, people should try to attend some level of financial comfortability before delving into family way. Me that is not married, no be say I stupid but things must be done right. May God bless me with a good job or capital for business so I can pack out of this place in no time.

Photo source: Google
In as much as these people live in poverty and cannot afford a comfortable house still does not mean they are losers, atleast you also live in thesame one room apartment as them.

Some people have tried, worked, looked for job and just couldn't make it pass that level, so if they decide to bring up a family in that financial state it is their choice.
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Blueelf: 7:34pm On May 13, 2021
Sebastine1994:

check her out

Lollll bro you're funny sha

Pretty sisters by the way
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by AuroraB(f): 8:00pm On May 13, 2021
Sebastine1994:

check her out
Your forehead shocked sad
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by babsbolad: 8:03pm On May 13, 2021
jaszplus12:

An uncle to a friend had 11 children plus himself and wife in one room in Lagos... guess what? One night robbers came to the compound, and when they saw his crowded room, the head of robbers was shocked! He asked if the man came to Lagos only to breed!
Well long story short, they gave my friend's uncle #150,000 and gave him one week to quit Lagos and return to his village or else they will return and kill him...
He packed back to benue state and flourished before passing away about 8 years ago...
The man had a saying: NOT ALL THIEVES ARE BAD! grin
It sounds fallacious.
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by labelle123(f): 8:11pm On May 13, 2021
CharisEleos:
You're talking of family of four. I've seen family of 9 in one room. 7 children with husband and wife. Though the man later took the room beside them when the tenant there left.

Some women are the cause of this. You know the condition you live in and you'll still be producing children anyhow..
. So it is the women fault now? Thought it takes two to tango
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Olawalelead(m): 8:11pm On May 13, 2021
God knows tomorrow...
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 13, 2021
BigYash:
I talk from experience brother. In my school days. My caretaker was always beating his wife. I got to discover that the woman said the kids were enough, and was using birth control. When the mumu man discovered it,he was beating the wife. Mind you,their kids were already more than 8. Two were staying with some persons in cities as house help. So tell me,in this case na the woman cause am?
Based on how as I take dey,one day I used indirect to ask the man the reason for the number of kids. He told me,his dad kids were more,so he is in competition with the dad. Worst be say ,money this man no get. Na to drink ogogoro ,dey misbehave. He go dey find women wen their husband die to date. He can't even take care of his wife and many kids..

Imagine...
How did he even find out the woman was using preventive measures? Her carelessness.

That man is not normal. He's under influence of alcohol therefore will never be in his right senses to see the havoc he's causing himself and the society at large or even reason to stop.

1 Like

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 13, 2021
It is stupidity to get married or be married to a man who lives in one room. It is not compulsory to live in the city, if you are reading this and you are living in one room with your family, you are very stupid.

It is best to return to your village and till the land of your ancestors even if it is a mud house, at least for fucck's sake, build room to accommodate at least each person. Oxygen debt and asphyxiation kills.

Poor people have the sharpest diccks I heard, it is not supposed to be so.

5 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 13, 2021
labelle123:
. So it is the women fault now? Thought it takes two to tango

So if it takes two to tango, one person should now lose his or her sense of reasoning because the other person refused to have Sense?

Spare me that weak line. Biko.

2 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by BigYash: 8:26pm On May 13, 2021
CharisEleos:

Imagine...
How did he even find out the woman was using preventive measures? Her carelessness.

That man is not normal. He's under influence of alcohol therefore will never be in his right senses to see the havoc he's causing himself and the society at large or even reason to stop.

Very stupid man. There was a day I went to stop him from killing his wife. They ended the fight after they injured me. Come see as everybody dey beg me that night. Cux i be wan just call some boys,make them flog the man. I just overlook cause of my landlady who called me, to beg immediately on his behalf. He once used knife on a 100l student. He spent weeks in detention. He get stick for flogging is wife and another for his kids. The man funny no be small.

4 Likes

Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by jaszplus12(m): 8:28pm On May 13, 2021
babsbolad:
It sounds fallacious.
Hmmm...so it seems.... when you hear the whole story it's like a fairy tale...but it's really true. If I didn't meet the wife I would have doubted myself, and my friend who told the story at the beginning isn't one to tell tall tales....
Re: Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 13, 2021
BigYash:
Very stupid man. There was a day I went to stop him from killing his wife. They ended the fight after they injured me. Come see as everybody dey beg me that night. Cux i be wan just call some boys,make them flog the man. I just overlook cause of my landlady who called me, to beg immediately on his behalf. He once used knife on a 100l student. He spent weeks in detention. He get stick for flogging is wife and another for his kids. The man funny no be small.

Hmm... Pathetic!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Accuses Pastor Of Breaking His Marriage After Committing Adultery With Wife / Parent Pranks Son With Empty Pack Of Iphone 11 / Husband Who Beat His Wife Kneels To Beg Her As She Insists On Leaving The Marria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.