Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30943 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:14am On Jun 28, 2021
It was pretty odd that the mods deleted my previous thread discussing how ancient Igbos controlled the Lower Delta, when other such similar threads were allowed to stay up. They also deleted another previous thread I posted talking about ancient Eastern Nigerian civilisation which was also quite peculiar. undecided

But in any case, I have decided to recreate a similar thread called "How Igbos lived in the past".

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BlowYourMind: 10:17am On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
It was pretty odd that the mods deleted my previous thread discussing how ancient Igbos controlled the Lower Delta, when other such similar threads were allowed to stay up. They also deleted another previous thread I posted talking about ancient Eastern Nigerian civilisation which was also quite peculiar. undecided

But in any case, I have decided to recreate a similar thread called "How Igbos lived in the past".
Any comment or against igbos is a comment against the Nairaland mods, they will fight as if you insulted their father, because they are igbos.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:18am On Jun 28, 2021
First of all, the history of Igbo civilisation stretches to as far back as at least around 3000bc.

Even with extremely limited resources; archaeological digs by enterprising Igbo sons and daughters have yielded sites that hold some of the oldest iron-smelting areas on earth dating to around 2000bc.

As well as evidence of organised economic centres dating back several millennia. This is amazing especially noting the adverse affect of tropical climates on archaeological sites as well as the durability of iron artefacts over long periods of time.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 10:19am On Jun 28, 2021
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by obaaderemi: 10:23am On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
First of all, the history of Igbo civilisation stretches to as far back as at least around 3000bc.

Even with extremely limited resources; archaeological digs by enterprising Igbo sons and daughters have yielded sites that hold some of the oldest iron-smelting areas on earth dating to around 2000bc.

As well as evidence of organised economic centres dating back several millennia. This is amazing especially noting the adverse affect of tropical climates on archaeological sites as well as the durability of iron artefacts over long periods of time.
I thought some of you said you were Jews.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:26am On Jun 28, 2021
The geographical area that Igbos occupy is one of the most fertile areas in the entirety of West Africa; bounded by rapidly decertifying arid areas to the north and infertile mangroves to the south. It was a veritable stroke of genius by Igbo ancestors that they were able to possess this section of prime land.

As result, Igbos were able to reach levels of civilisation and critical thinking not available to many at the time.

As stated before, due to very limited resources and investment in Archaeology very little is known about Ancient Igbos to a particular point, but we can see that in later Igbo works; where times of abundance and peace led them to create magnificent works.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by carterguccy(m): 10:40am On Jun 28, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas

Stop lying bro!

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by tamdun: 10:42am On Jun 28, 2021
obaaderemi:
I thought some of you said you were Jews.
grin

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:42am On Jun 28, 2021
The result of abundance and good geographical locations inspired critical thinking and with critical thinking it in turn inspired a strong sense of independence. When someone is educated, they are difficult to enslave, and that was no different for Ancient Igbos.

Educated with ideas of freedom and equity, there was very little way a demagogue could force themselves into society and label themselves a "king" or 'Emperor" as we see in some other groups. The thought for many Igbos then and now was even repulsive, and they looked on at more feudal neighbours with some curiosity, some concern, and some mockery.

Thus, Igbos became the originators of one of the most unique forms of democracy known to man.

A proud tradition that Igbos still upheld to this day.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 10:42am On Jun 28, 2021
carterguccy:

Stop lying bro!
How?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 10:44am On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
The result of abundance and good geographical locations inspired critical thinking and with critical thinking it in turn inspired a strong sense of independence. When someone is educated, they are difficult to enslave, and that was no different for Ancient Igbos.

Educated with ideas of freedom and equity, there was very little way a demagogue could force themselves into society and label themselves a "king" or 'Emperor" as we see in some other groups. The thought for many Igbos then and now was even repulsive, and they looked on at more feudal neighbours with some curiosity, some concern, and some mockery.

Thus, Igbos became the originators of one of the most unique forms of democracy known to man.

A proud tradition that Igbos still upheld to this day.
Igbo enwe eze. Igbos are the most liberal people I've ever seen apart from the whites

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:52am On Jun 28, 2021
That is not to say that the Igbos never had kings. They did, they had many of them.

Wen taking a deeper look at Igbo history kingship, these figures were family patriarchs who grew into importance and thus exerted some form of influence over their 'subjects', which were really family or clan members.

In ancient Igboland, which operated under a compound system, each compound was like a small town in itself. It housed a larger family made up of several families and was headed by a partriach which was the traditional custodian of the family land.

These patriarchs would be less noticeable in influence in the Igbo heartland which was densely populated, compared to outside the region where low populations meant that that could grow into considerable amounts of power over the centuries . Even being termed as kings even though their role was not as such.

As well as that, most figures termed as kings in Igboland were often figures that took on the roles of priest or judge. On the occasion an enterprising businessman, or a strongman during times of war.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:03am On Jun 28, 2021
The Igbo sophisticated egalitarian system made social life dynamic and Igbos themselves very progressive and adaptable.

Ancient Igboland was an agriculture and trading hub, but many often don't emphasize that it was a manufacturing hub as well. Igboland was a land of numerous trained smiths and artisans, and their dexterity and tenacity often scared more timid neighbours.

Igbo smiths were actually known for destroying an entire local smithing industry in modern day Norther Nigeria in the past simply because of superior business tactics.

A British traveller compared the speed, detail and finishing of Igbo smiths manufacturing needles to the work of machines.
Another noted that the dyes that they used for their clothes was comparable and at times superior to that of the British.
Igbo products ranged from furniture, swords, various clothing to guns and so on and so forth.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:11am On Jun 28, 2021
Igbo goods were traded across modern day Nigeria and beyond and much like today Igbos were known in dealing with luxury and necessary household items.

For various parts of west Africa it wasn't uncommon to see Igbo cloth being traded. It was expensive and treated as luxury items. To the delta states it was a significant preserve of their elites and nobles. Igbo weavers worked with various textiles such as linen, cotton, barkcloth , silk, raffia, etc, etc...

A European traveller noted many civilians wearing this distinctive Igbo clothing in a town in modern day Northern Nigeria, but wasn't able to get a sample.

Some styles of Igbo cloth below.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:15am On Jun 28, 2021
Igbos didn't only manufacture clothing, but various forms of weaponry, and other artefacts.

Some examples of Igbo merchandise.

Below are a sword, javelin, and tobacco pipe of Igbo make.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by RZArecta(m): 11:22am On Jun 28, 2021
Interesting cool

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by makemoneywbsite: 11:25am On Jun 28, 2021
Olauda Ekwuanu, the first black man to publish a book was Igbo. He said that the quality of fabrics made by ancient Igbo was of higher quality than anything he saw in England.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:27am On Jun 28, 2021
Of course in times of abundance, the Igbo population grew to massive proportions. In the last century, Igboland was considered one of the most if not the most densely populated area in Africa after the Nile Valley.

However despite this, Igbos still asserted their independence by forming their own unique identities. Due to their compound system, there were a multitude of various Igbo speaking clans, then towns, then countries. Of course, this also has a lot to do with their geographical terrain as well.

Why didn't they unite into one large group of people? People often ask.

The answer is simple. When looking at history, the vast majority of time, it was due to external threats that forced a people to unite. And if we are being very honest with ourselves, there was never any threat in the entirety of Africa big enough to threaten the Igbo nation before the coming of the British.

The Igbo population was so large that singular Igbo towns dwarfed the populations of entire Kingdoms. Literally individual Igbo towns warred with countries outside Igboland like equals. In some perilous cases, they would call for reinforcements from further into Igboland.

A town that was conquered, possibly made enemies of not only foreign foes but also other Igbo towns as well.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by makemoneywbsite: 11:27am On Jun 28, 2021
Olauda Ekwuanu, the first black man to publish a book was Igbo. He said that the quality of fabrics made by ancient Igbo was of higher quality than anything he saw in England.
I'm curious, what happened to those fabrics like akwete?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:30am On Jun 28, 2021
So Igbos enjoyed somewhat relative peace before the slave trade compared to some other groups.

The heavily armed and fearsome populous, the massively dense population and the terrain discouraged many from attempting to penetrate deep into this territory.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BlowYourMind: 11:33am On Jun 28, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Nice one but only a bastard will claim another person's land as a fugitive, I am a Yoruba and will never be Igbo nor have anything to do with them, I will never retrogress by going to their land, I will choose any other tribe over my tribe, because I am not a bastard or an impersonator, I will never lie or speak derogatory words and untrue words again the tribe I claimed is mine. Only a fool pretend to bash another and I will never be a fool.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 11:37am On Jun 28, 2021
BlowYourMind:
Nice one but only a bastard will claim another person's land as a fugitive, I am a Yoruba and will never be Igbo nor have anything to do with them, I will never retrogress by going to their land, I will choose any other tribe over my tribe, because I am not a bastard or an impersonator, I will never lie or speak derogatory words and untrue words again the tribe I claimed is mine. Only a fool pretend to bash another and I will never be a fool.
I don't even understand your ranting. Are you saying that the Igbos are not civilized more than us or what?

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 28, 2021
Most of what is written here are pure propaganda and lies, an attempt to change and distort history.

There is nothing wrong being proud of your identity but an attempt to change history is wrong.

The igbo clothing you made mentioned of, it was not indigenous to igbo people, almost every tribe made a similar clothing style like the one you posted.

Fyi, this has nothing to do with igbo hating.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 11:42am On Jun 28, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Igbo enwe eze. Igbos are the most liberal people I've ever seen apart from the whites

Do you know what is liberalism.

Igbo people are very conservative, Nigerian culture generally is a conservative culture

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 11:45am On Jun 28, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Most of what is written here are pure propaganda and lies, an attempt to change and distort history.

This is the igbo we all know.

There is nothing wrong being proud of your history but an attempt to change history is wrong.

The igbo clothing you made mentioned of, it was not indigenous to igbo people, almost every tribe made a similar clothing style like the one you posted.

Fyi, this has nothing to do with igbo hating, this is just my honest opinion.

Thank you very much for your contribution thebosstrevor1, you're actually touching on a topic I wanted to talk about which is Igbo fashion styles and trends.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 11:50am On Jun 28, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Do you know what is liberalism.

Igbo people are very conservative, Nigerian culture generally is a conservative culture
You are referring to your northern people when you talk about being conservative. Even though Igbos have kings and leaders but they don't have the ultimate power over their subjects. Everyone is free to think and do like they like even when it is against what their kings want

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 28, 2021
Fahdiga1:
You are referring to your northern people when you talk about being conservative. Even though Igbos have kings and leaders but they don't have the ultimate power over their subjects. Everyone is free to think and do like they like even when it is against what their kings want

I doubt you know the meaning of liberalism.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:

Nobody cares how seperatist live

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Igbos traditionally didn't live in congested cities like more heavily urbanised groups but instead lived in ordered towns. The towns were spacious enough that each family had a compound where they could conduct a pretty much independent lifestyle.

The quintessential Igbo house is often seen as a large compound surrounded by massive high walls, but accommodation differed according to geography and taste as well. In places were forest was more dense, and population less, compounds could often be quite large and house planning more imaginative. While in less forestry areas, high compound walls and walled towns could often be seen for an extra layer of protection.

With the exception of watchtowers and the like, Igbo buildings were usually one story tall but could differ greatly in size and stature.

Some depictions of Igbo compounds below.

Examples of

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2021
Examples of some Igbo buildings

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
An old photograph of the iconic Igbo compound walls along with another picture of a traditional Igbo building

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:38pm On Jun 28, 2021
Buildings that Igbos used to live in were generally quite simple, built for functionality as the main goal.

But still, they strove to furnish it through processes such as painting it, whitewashing it, embedding it with decorative inserts or just leaving the building with it's natural pleasant yellowish-red or greenish-yellow clay.

However, in the case of meeting halls and traditional temples, the aid of skilled labourers were often used, making for more creative pieces.

Below are examples of some Igbo temples from the outside and inside. They like other Igbo buildings differed in size to a traditional storey high to considerably large.

17 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Buhari Has Given 286 Foreigners Certificates Of Citizenship-photo / Why Buhari Cancelled US Trip / Governor-Elect Yahya Bello Arrives Okene, Welcomed By Crowd (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.