Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (31426 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2021

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2021
Cosbyrich:

How can the Igbos be more civilized than you Igbos again.Are you alright at all this old Igbo man.
For your information,Igbos were still learning how to wear clothes in 1921.
I don't understand either
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Kennyswag: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2021
igbos trying to rewrite history lol.. cursed inferior tribe grin

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 9:19am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

See this black monkey feeling fly

Ur ancestors were the dumbest of all ancestors.

My ansestors wore cloths of various styles and fashions as far as the 10th century
Maybe farther
But this is what is proven

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 9:20am On Jun 29, 2021

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 9:21am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

Democratic yet osu ohu is still existing till today

Yet thier women were less than the male children in society?
Yet men without money were not men?

You guys were simply in the transition to real civilization when the Europeans came

All reasonable civilisations had empires or at least kingdoms

You were scattered yet with little land
Civilization goes like this
Scattered un united people with fake "democracy" to kingdoms to empires to little division of the empires to real democracy

Stop twisting the truth
Bro history says otherwise. The Igbos were civilized before us. My great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then said this and in our Yoruba culture an Oba doesn't lie

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 9:22am On Jun 29, 2021

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 9:23am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

Stop this already

You are disgracing igbos
How bro?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 9:30am On Jun 29, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Wearing of clothes is the first thing any civilised nation will do before others.

Do you know the meaning of civilization.

Aren't you civilised than the tribes not wearing clothes today.

How can you write that people who are naked are more civilised than people who were not, it is like writing that the society who invented bicycles are more innovative than the society who invented cars.

Is that not confusion and an attempt to distort history

Don't use that bicycle and car example

Arabs,isrealites,Berbers,tuaregs,arabs and co covered there body more than ancient Egyptians,Nubia,kush, and co but we blacks were more civilized.Infact civilization started from Lower Egypt.

They were richer, more organized, had more astrologer's,doctors,Scholers,wizards than they neighbours.They built advanced buildings like pyramids.They were more advanced,stronger and intelligent than there clothed neighbours.

So I don't know what ur own definition of civilization is.

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by RiceProducers: 9:30am On Jun 29, 2021
Fahdiga1:
You are referring to your northern people when you talk about being conservative. Even though Igbos have kings and leaders but they don't have the ultimate power over their subjects. Everyone is free to think and do like they like even when it is against what their kings want
Liberalism as opposite of conservatism.
Igbos are not liberal. There is even a caste system in Igbo land. Most Nigerian tribes are not liberal.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Easternblood: 9:35am On Jun 29, 2021
Fahdiga1:
I am happy you understand bro
Peace , bro
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

Don't use that bicycle and car example

Arabs,isrealites,Berbers,tuaregs,arabs and co covered there body more than ancient Egyptians,Nubia,kush, and co but we blacks were more civilized.Infact civilization started from Lower Egypt.

They were richer, more organized, had more astrologer's,doctors,Scholers,wizards than they neighbours.They built advanced buildings even like pyramids.They were more advanced,stronger and intelligent than there clothed neighbours.

So I don't know what ur own definition of civilization is.

So can someone naked be more civilised than someone wearing clothes

Imagine you go to a town where everyone are naked and you are the only one wearing clothes, wouldn't you call those people illitrates and uncivilized?

Stop distorting history.

If they were so advanced and built a those things and have doctors and all the things you mentioned, how come they weren't able to think about making a cloth to cover their unclothedness??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 9:44am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

My ansestors wore cloths of various styles and fashions as far as the 10th century
Maybe farther
But this is what is proven

Ok

The binis that tie only rapper can boast of the great wall of Bini and an organized spacious neat road with street light.

We have seen what Igbo's built and how they lived an organized neat life.

So I ask u..Ur ancestors that wore cloth what did they achieve in terms of architecture and invention?

One can imagine how dirty a Yoruba community was in those days lipsrsealed

And mind u before u chest beat..Yoruba's imported wearing of cloth from there northern neighbours.

Blacks did not see clothing as civilization those days.. We just cover up a little and that's it.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 9:48am On Jun 29, 2021

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 9:50am On Jun 29, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Imagine you go to a town where everyone are naked and you are the only one wearing clothes, wouldn't you call those people illitrates and uncivilized?

Stop distorting history.

If they were so advanced and built a those things and have doctors and all the things you mentioned, how come they weren't able to think about making a cloth to cover their unclothedness??

Its obvious to me that u argue without fact but based on what u feel.U are not ready to learn and understand. Bye

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 10:27am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

@emboldend
I knew someone will say this

Can you prove it?cheesy
No cause it's false

I don't need to list the many developments in Yorubaland
You are no match

In those days does oni of ife wear agbada?yes or No?Ans is No...He tied wrapper even till now.

In those days does alafin of oyo wear agbada?yes or no?Ans-yes

Where did Yoruba's originate from?Ife.So why is it that oni of ife and yoruba's in osun the home of every Yoruba man tie wrapper.

So I give u the simple assignment to go and find out why alafin and Yoruba's that share border with the north wore agbada and why Yoruba's in osun,ekiti and ondo tied wrapper those days.

The northern Yoruba's taught the southern Yoruba's agbada wearing which they copied from there northern neighbours.From then till now they wear it.

And pls Mention Yoruba civilization na?
We dey wait

And please don't tell me of how u guys defeated ur weak neighbours..That's not civilization,even Rome was conquered by there barbaric Germanic neighbour

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:49am On Jun 29, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Stop distorting history.

Haha , It's only in places like Nigeria where they believe that the amount of clothes you wear translates to civilisation. It's understandable due to the near century of European colonisation and influence but sometimes it's hard not to laugh.

Look at pictures of Ancient Indians below:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:50am On Jun 29, 2021
Now look at their ancient architecture, the kind that marvels the world today.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 10:53am On Jun 29, 2021
More...

A person like thebosstrevor1 will consider his people more civilised than ancient indians.

Because even though they were rampaging, nomadic herdsmen, at least they wore heavy blankets even in the hot sun, unlike those primitive Indians . angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 11:09am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

In those days does oni of ife wear agbada?yes or No?Ans is No...He tied wrapper even till now.

Where did Yoruba's originate from?Ife.So why is it that oni of ife and yoruba's in osun the home of every Yoruba man tie wrapper.

So I give u the simple assignment to go and find out why alafin and Yoruba's that share border with the north wore agbada and why Yoruba's in osun,ekiti and ondo tied wrapper those days.

The northern Yoruba's taught the southern Yoruba's agbada wearing which they copied from there northern neighbours.From then till now they wear it.

We dey wait

And please don't tell me of how u guys defeated ur weak neighbours..That's not civilization,even Rome was conquered by there barbaric Germanic neighbour

Tao11
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 11:13am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

We dey wait

shocked
I míght reply you later
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 11:16am On Jun 29, 2021
Shiver99:

Haha cheesy, It's only in places like Nigeria where they believe that the amount of clothes you wear translates to civilisation. It's understandable due to the near century of European colonisation and influence but sometimes it's hard not to laugh.

Ancient

Not 20 century like you
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 11:19am On Jun 29, 2021
Shiver99:
Now look at their ancient architecture, the kind that marvels the world today.
India has thousands of ethnic groups

Don't be smart by a quarter grin
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 11:22am On Jun 29, 2021
Shiver99:

Haha cheesy, It's only in places like Nigeria where they believe that the amount of clothes you wear translates to civilisation. It's understandable due to the near century of European colonisation and influence but sometimes it's hard not to laugh.

Hahahaha

Lols..U just knocked the guy out with fact cheesy
They don't know that the best ancient civilizations was ran by semi clad people.

I am still waiting for them to mention one thing that marvelled Europeans abt them.
Europeans be talk say dem dirtiness na nothing to write home about na why dem no write am cheesy

Every time u see them write things like u guys were unclad on tree tops while we were civilized.
Oya mention the civilization they are all quiet. Even binis that were more civilized than them were semi clad and they don't brag.
thebosstrevor1 come and see oo

8 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ZorGBUooeh: 11:24am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

I míght reply you later

Oga u have nothing to say go and wear ur northern borrowed trampoline called agbada.

8 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 11:32am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

Two things “real quick”:

(1) What precise timeline(s) do you refer to when you say: “those days”?

In other words, your “argument” here collapses if your use of the phrase “those days” refers to two different historical timelines each for your Ife’s “wrapper,” and your Oyo’s “agbada”.

(2) In fact, your “those days” for Ife’s “wrapper” and for Oyo’s “agbada” refer to two completely different historical timelines.

One of them (the Ife’s “wrapper”) is centuries earlier than the other (the Oyo’s “agbada”).

Actually, all human clothings (Yoruba or non-Yoruba forms) have evolved from the more simplistic forms in the earlier times (e.g. “wrappers”, etc.); to the more complex forms (e.g. “agbada”, etc.) in the later times.

In other words, both your so-called “wrapper” & your “agbada” examples apply in Ife (but at different times). And both also apply in Oyo (but also at different times).

Actually, the Yorubas in Osun state (or Ife) wear agbada as well as tie wrapper.

I’m not sure where you got the idea from that they do one and not the other. Please substantiate your claim (of dichotomy) if you wish to be taken seriously.

Debunked above.

The northern Yoruba's taught the southern Yoruba's agbada wearing which they copied from there northern neighbors. From then till now they wear it.
There is no substantive historical evidence for your ridiculous borrowing theory. It is that simple.

In fact, what is more realistic and supported by evidence is that that each of these two cultures adopted/evolved theirs independent of one another.

And pls Mention The idea Yoruba civilization na? We dey wait

I guess the Igbos couldn’t defeat their own “weak neighbors,” but that’s by the way. Lol.

The IFE empire was the center of the Yoruba world (as well some non-Yoruba’s).

(1) From circa 500 CE, this Yoruba center (IFE) evolved rapid socio-political innovations such as the idea of a divine monarchical system of government alongside a unique system of urbanism which both became the basis of social order.

This urban structure appears to have trickled down to and become evident in its magnificent rchitecture even up to the early 1900s.

The German anthropologist Leo Frobenius who came to the region notes as follows:

Leaving out of account for the moment a few particular compounds, altogether exceptional in their character, held by princelings in Nupé, it may, I think, be said that no province in the western half of Africa can show finer lines in its general architecture than Yoruba.

(2) Archaeological excavation quests in Ife (and other Yoruba areas) have come to corroborate the Yoruba accounts which talks about street tiling or paving.

In fact, archaeology have come to date street tiling — one of the many features of Yoruba civilization — to at least as early as circa 900 CE.

The excavations conducted by F. Willett at Iya-Yemoo [as well as in some other parts of Ife] dates the Ita-Yemoo pavement to circa 960CE.

(3) Sometimes between circa 1000 CE and 1400 CE, Ile-Ife was the military power, the economic hub, and holiest center of much of the souther Guinea forest region.

Its military-cum-economic strength is based mainly on its technology of producing glass and glass beads [as well as iron and textile].

In fact, Ile-Ife was at that time the only place in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa known as an industrial centre for primary glass production.

(4) During roughly the same period, Ife produced the most unquestionably exotic sub-Saharan classical art.

These artworks were fashioned using different media viz. stone, iron, quartz, terracotta, and “bronze” among others.

Some professional remarks on the Ife artworks are as follows:

(A) [They] would stand comparison with anything which Ancient Egypt, Classical Greece and Rome, or Renaissance Europe had to offer".

~ Frank Willett, “Ife and Its Archaeology,” The Journal of African History, Vol. 1, No. 2 (1960), p. 239.

(B) How, in a comparatively obscure corner of this vast and backward continent, could an art and a technique have flowered that take their stand beside the best ever evolved by the elaborate civilizations of Europe and Asia?"

~ W.R. Bascom, “The Illustrated London News,” (8 April 1939), p. 592.

(C) These meagre relics were eloquent of a symmetry, a vitality, a delicacy of form directly reminiscent of ancient Greece and a proof that, once upon a time, a race, far superior in strain to the negro, had been settled here. Here was an indication of something unquestionably exotic and the existence of an extremely ancient civilization.

~ L. Frobenius, “The Voice of Africa,” 1913, pp.88-89.

Cheers!

Cc: theFilmtrick

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KAHBOOM: 11:37am On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

Ancient

Not 20 century like you

U asked a question and he gave u an answer with proof..now u are talking ancient and century.

Wearing of cloth should not be used to measure civilization.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KAHBOOM: 11:45am On Jun 29, 2021
ZorGBUooeh:

We dey wait

Lols

Yoruba civilization ke?

They will come and tell u of how one gbegiri akin ewagoin defeated Alexander and Hannibal together thats all.
To them that's civilization.

No town planning

No Nice architecture..Nothing unique abt their hut

Neat road na

No writing system,,Nothing

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 12:17pm On Jun 29, 2021

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 12:19pm On Jun 29, 2021

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Idiko1: 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2021
Fahdiga1:
Igbo enwe eze. Igbos are the most liberal people I've ever seen apart from the whites

Are there human beings known as "Whites"? It is pure ignorance to equate Europeans to white.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

The Tsunami Himself - Ooni Of Ife Hails Peter Obi / Bayelsa Women Spread Wrapper For Dickson To Walk On (Photos) / Ganduje Bags ‘Best Governor’ Award Despite Bribe-taking Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.