Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,096 members, 7,814,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30952 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2021
When talking of ancient Igbo settlements, many don't emphasize on the love of cleanliness that Ancient Igbos sported. Because of this, they regularly took part in landscaping and regular cleaning of streets and roads.

Depiction of a typical Igbo house from one Igbo town, and a picture of a housing unit somewhere in Igboland. Notice the neatly planted trees next to the house?

Below that is an excerpt of a European traveller describing one Igbo town that they were visiting.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by laiperi: 12:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
Good job. Very informative.

But please stop comparing your ancient days to others especially in an area that is well known and heavily documented.

You cannot say because others have kings, Igbo must also have kings. Just as we cannot say those who build skyscrapers are more civilized.

Very educative.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2021
Speaking of Igbo manufacturing, one important point are the Igbo canoes.

Igbos were renowned for their large trading canoes, which they used to dominate lower delta trade. Many canoes were big enough to fit nearly a hundred men, as well as handle heavy trading goods such as livestock. i.e Horses, cattle, goats

Boats and other vessels in west Africa were typical very low in terms of build compared to in Eurasia, seeing as they were for navigating rivers and not the open sea.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 1:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
The result of abundance and good geographical locations inspired critical thinking and with critical thinking it in turn inspired a strong sense of independence. When someone is educated, they are difficult to enslave, and that was no different for Ancient Igbos.

Educated with ideas of freedom and equity, there was very little way a demagogue could force themselves into society and label themselves a "king" or 'Emperor" as we see in some other groups. The thought for many Igbos then and now was even repulsive, and they looked on at more feudal neighbours with some curiosity, some concern, and some mockery.

Thus, Igbos became the originators of one of the most unique forms of democracy known to man.

A proud tradition that Igbos still upheld to this day.
Thank you my brother.
We never had kings and will never have.
All those lies about some people being kings are lies.
Eze Nri and Eze Aro were Priests

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:12pm On Jun 28, 2021
One point that our resident Igbo enthusiast thebosstrevor1 pointed out was the distinctive Igbo fashion styles.

Ancient Igbos typically covered less than they do today; and both women and men as a rule went topless typically until marriage and commonly after that as well. In the humid and warm west African weather , it was often disturbing for many Igbos to see the layers of tight clothing that Europeans wore. Unfortunately, due to this blunder several Europeans died of heatstroke.

Igbos considered their fashion to be the standard, and considered the clothing of Mohammedan tribes as odd and the wrapped-up European fashion of recently converted Christians as hilarious. The closest example is how you would react to the heavy blankets that mohammedans often wear.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:17pm On Jun 28, 2021
The fact that Ancient Igbos covered less, didn't mean they went naked or didn't know what modesty was. It was just what they considered as unclothedness was different.

This is the mistake that for example, Mohammedan groups make of societies such as America. They look at young people wearing shorts and t-shirts or speedos and bikinis on the beach and wonder why they are 'naked'. However, those people certainly don't think so.

Igbos had a strict sense of modesty, but it was not the same as the lopsided sense of modesty that could be seen in western nations or Arabia, where men could go topless to stave off the effects of hot weather while women were left to stay in oven-like burkas and the like.

Igbo fashions were completely adapted to their environment the same as Eurasians, and their sense of modesty developed from there.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Jman24(m): 1:23pm On Jun 28, 2021
BKayy:

Thank you my brother.
We never had kings and will never have.
All those lies about some people being kings are lies.
Eze Nri and Eze Aro were Priests

Undeniable fact

This is why I advocate nationhood in Africa. So each Nation will tell/sell her own stories.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
One point that our resident Igbo enthusiast thebosstrevor1 pointed out was the distinctive Igbo fashion styles.

Ancient Igbos typically covered less than they do today; and both women and men as a rule went topless typically until marriage and commonly after that as well. In the humid and warm west African weather , it was often disturbing for many Igbos to see the layers of tight clothing that Europeans wore. Unfortunately, due to this blunder several Europeans died of heatstroke.

Igbos considered their fashion to be the standard, and considered the clothing of Mohammedan tribes as odd and the wrapped-up European fashion of recently converted Christians as hilarious. The closest example is how you would react to the heavy blankets that mohammedans often wear.

Cant you write without trying to diss other tribes and cultures to make igbos look good.

If i may add, you are writing like a manipulator, if i had not pointed out the naked dressing in the old igbo culture, you wouldn't have written about it or you would have said that igbos invented clothes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2021
For some perspective, here are some Ancient Egyptian dancing girls.

Fashions are adapted to culture and climate for the most part.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by AfonjaConehead: 1:30pm On Jun 28, 2021
BlowYourMind:
Nice one but only a bastard will claim another person's land as a fugitive, I am a Yoruba and will never be Igbo nor have anything to do with them, I will never retrogress by going to their land, I will choose any other tribe over my tribe, because I am not a bastard or an impersonator, I will never lie or speak derogatory words and untrue words again the tribe I claimed is mine. Only a fool pretend to bash another and I will never be a fool.

You are exactly all that you described in your own post..... otherwise and if you are not, kindly tell us,of what relevance is this picture?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by blues234: 1:35pm On Jun 28, 2021
AfonjaConehead:

You are exactly all that you described in your own post..... otherwise and if you are not, kindly tell us,of what relevance is this picture?
The jack has only one thing in mind, to instigate a tribal war, and thus derail this thread.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ruggedtimi(m): 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2021
Hmm..after reading "Narrative of an exploring voyage up the rivers Kwóra and Bínue"...one thing I took note of was that the ibos sold their brothers out for slave trade through the bonny people, notably King pepple I of bonny bought his slaves from the ibos.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by melodyogonna(m): 1:41pm On Jun 28, 2021
Interesting.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:42pm On Jun 28, 2021
Just as an aside, If you noticed the first picture thebosstrevor1 posted a while back were clearly the daughters of a wealthy family. shocked

Heavy handmade brass anklets, which had to be fitted by professional blacksmiths. Neatly patterned cloth, which looks to be a delicate manufacture of either linen, cotton or maybe even silk. Expensive aggry beads and fang necklaces, clearly from some big animal like a leopard.

But the real shocker here is the ivory, this is notably enormously expensive and each had several bands on their arms. shocked
One European traveller tried to take an ivory anklet from a married woman as a souvenir before and was informed that it was the price of several human beings. One of them is even wearing leopard coat as part of the gear.

The assemble of the outfits would have marked them as coming from respected families then. And now would be able to comfortably pay the school fees of several posters.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Akudaisi: 1:48pm On Jun 28, 2021
Saying our ancestors were going around naked is a gross lack of understanding, imagine wearing suit or a turban in the midst of scotching heat,our Fathers were wise and adapted to what favoured their climate

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Jman24(m): 1:52pm On Jun 28, 2021
Akudaisi:
Saying our ancestors were going around naked is a gross lack of understanding, imagine wearing suit or a turban in the midst of scotching heat,our Fathers were wise and adapted to what favoured their climate

Wisdom is too close to you.

12 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Cant you write without trying to diss other tribes and cultures to make igbos look good.

If i may add, you are writing like a manipulator, if i had not pointed out the naked dressing in the old igbo culture, you wouldn't have written about it or you would have said that igbos invented clothes.

I didn't diss anyone, nor did I state anywhere that Igbos invented clothes?

I think you are stressing yourself for nothing. undecided

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by cornelin(m): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
Ride on sir. Please avoid the urge to respond to every unnecessary trolls and statements so as no to defeat the real purpose of this thread.
Also, more picture illustrations and written records would be highly appreciated.
Thank you

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Jman24(m): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
You will just see Africans putting on suits with tie, sweating profusely.

It's always a comical sight to behold.

11 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2021
If there is anybody else that wants to add or contribute something in the meanwhile, feel free to do so.

Unfortunately there is little investment in collating Igbo historical accounts in a comprehensive manner, so excerpts and images often have to be pieced together from hundreds of historical texts.

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BlowYourMind: 2:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
AfonjaConehead:

I am responsible for your bitterness.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Kennyking1234: 3:09pm On Jun 28, 2021
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by AKWATGOLD1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 28, 2021
The MODs is behaving like TWITTER now.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by tchaik(m): 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
That is not to say that the Igbos never had kings. They did, they had many of them.

Wen taking a deeper look at Igbo history kingship, these figures were family patriarchs who grew into importance and thus exerted some form of influence over their 'subjects', which were really family or clan members.

In ancient Igboland, which operated under a compound system, each compound was like a small town in itself. It housed a larger family made up of several families and was headed by a partriach which was the traditional custodian of the family land.

These patriarchs would be less noticeable in influence in the Igbo heartland which was densely populated, compared to outside the region where low populations meant that that could grow into considerable amounts of power over the centuries . Even being termed as kings even though their role was not as such.

As well as that, most figures termed as kings in Igboland were often figures that took on the roles of priest or judge. On the occasion an enterprising businessman, or a strongman during times of war.

So what are you saying? Cos your premise and conclusion are not at peace with each other.

Ndi never had the Kingship structure, properly so called. Stick to what you know.

Nice thread by the way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
Just as an aside, If you noticed the first picture thebosstrevor1 posted a while back were clearly the daughters of a wealthy family. shocked

Heavy handmade brass anklets, which had to be fitted by professional blacksmiths. Neatly patterned cloth, which looks to be a delicate manufacture of either linen, cotton or maybe even silk. Expensive aggry beads and fang necklaces, clearly from some big animal like a leopard.

But the real shocker here is the ivory, this is notably enormously expensive and each had several bands on their arms. shocked
One European traveller tried to take an ivory anklet from a married woman as a souvenir before and was informed that it was the price of several human beings. One of them is even wearing leopard coat as part of the gear.

The assemble of the outfits would have marked them as coming from respected families then. And now would be able to comfortably pay the school fees of several posters.

Cherry picking information to look good.

Lets think for a second

If wealthy igbo were dressing like that, that means the poor which constitutes about majority of the population will be naked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Gbagura: 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2021
Fahdiga1:
I don't even understand your ranting. Are you saying that the Igbos are not civilized more than us or what?
He was saying the yorubas gave we igbos the leeway to how things are being done in the civilized world. He was also affirming that we igbos should remember that yorubas had scored many firsts ahead of us including the first TV station in Africa, the first church, first primary and secondary school, first University, first newspaper, first radio station, first hospital etc while our forebears were still living on trees. How I wish to be a Yoruba man right now. We igbos should always be thankful to the yorubas for accepting us in their land to see road clearly.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Fahdiga1: 4:45pm On Jun 28, 2021
Gbagura:
He was saying the yorubas gave we igbos the leeway to how things are being done in the civilized world. He was also affirming that we igbos should remember that yorubas had scored many firsts ahead of us including the first TV station in Africa, the first church, first primary and secondary school, first University, first newspaper, first radio station, first hospital etc while our forebears were still living on trees. How I wish to be a Yoruba man right now. We igbos should always be thankful to the yorubas for accepting us in their land to see road clearly.
Where did you see me claim Igbo

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by fozapi(m): 4:50pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99 nice thread keep it up

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by fozapi(m): 4:51pm On Jun 28, 2021
BlowYourMind:
Nice one but only a bastard will claim another person's land as a fugitive, I am a Yoruba and will never be Igbo nor have anything to do with them, I will never retrogress by going to their land, I will choose any other tribe over my tribe, because I am not a bastard or an impersonator, I will never lie or speak derogatory words and untrue words again the tribe I claimed is mine. Only a fool pretend to bash another and I will never be a fool.

Stop ranting like a headless chicken igbos and yorubas are not enemies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by siofra(f): 4:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shiver99:
Igbos traditionally didn't live in congested cities like more heavily urbanised groups but instead lived in ordered towns. The towns were spacious enough that each family had a compound where they could conduct a pretty much independent lifestyle.

The quintessential Igbo house is often seen as a large compound surrounded by massive high walls, but accommodation differed according to geography and taste as well. In places were forest was more dense, and population less, compounds could often be quite large and house planning more imaginative. While in less forestry areas, high compound walls and walled towns could often be seen for an extra layer of protection.

With the exception of watchtowers and the like, Igbo buildings were usually one story tall but could differ greatly in size and stature.

Some depictions of Igbo compounds below.

Examples of

Is that a storey building in the 3rd picture?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by siofra(f): 5:09pm On Jun 28, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Cherry picking information to look good.

Lets think for a second

If wealthy igbo were dressing like that, that means the poor which constitutes about majority of the population will be naked.

And so what if they walked around naked?
It just shows they were more sensible that Nigerians today that wear heavy jackets in this steaming heat. Sometimes I just want to walk around in skimpy clothes but I can't because some people will start thinking I want to seduce people.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 28, 2021
siofra:

And so what if they walked around naked?
It just shows they were more sensible that Nigerians today that wear heavy jackets in this steaming heat. Sometimes I just want to walk around in skimpy clothes but I can't because some people will start thinking I want to seduce people.

The igbos were not the only ones walking naked.

Btw, walking naked showed they were not able to develop,

they were never able to create a writing system talkless of clothing.

This basically showed they never were able to pass the hunter gathering stage.

As for dressing nude or with skimpy dresses, you can create a nude colony or go nude at home.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

We Won’t Submit To Buhari’s TSA – N/ Assembly / Alleged N3.2bn Fraud: EFCC Closes Case Against Kalu / I Have Done Better Than 16 Years Of PDP Misrule- Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.