Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,045 members, 7,814,583 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30945 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:22am On Sep 30, 2022
Shiver99:
Examples of some Igbo buildings

That second pic is simply breathtaking! Inside would look amazing!

Wish i had a DeLorean time machine to travel back in time....say 300 years, and see how life was back then! Of course i'd take with me some diagrams showing how to manufacture guns and bombs from scratch, and give to my forebears so they could use against the thieving white slave traders and invaders! I may inadvertently change the course of history, altering the space/time continium and would probably come back to a different present day....one in which black Africans eventually subdued the white slave traders and developed to first world status! But i digress! smiley

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:40am On Dec 01, 2022
Tiered seating at a recreational ground in an Igbo village square.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:51am On Dec 01, 2022
I again bring up this diagram.

The unique multi-nuclear pattern of Igbo settlements meant various lands in the village were zoned off for commerce and recreational purposes. The square that I posted above was likely a dedicated space for villagers to watch athletic tournaments, theatre performances, community announcements, etc, etc.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:56am On Dec 01, 2022
PROUDIGBO:

That second pic is simply breathtaking! Inside would look amazing!

Wish i had a DeLorean time machine to travel back in time....say 300 years, and see how life was back then! Of course i'd take with me some diagrams showing how to manufacture guns and bombs from scratch, and give to my forebears so they could use against the thieving white slave traders and invaders! I may inadvertently change the course of history, altering the space/time continium and would probably come back to a different present day....one in which black Africans eventually subdued the white slave traders and developed to first world status! But i digress! smiley

I struggle to find it today, but a British explorer that travelled across west and central Africa stated that the most tasteful housing designs that he has come across belonged to Igbos and some other group in the Congo. I didn't really think too much about it then, but having seen various examples from other groups, I now understand why he said that.

Like the excerpt posted below, many foreigners had noted that Igbos then and now showed a marked artistic taste in what they wore, where they lived, and their music as well.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:16am On Dec 01, 2022
Entrance to a traditional Igbo compound.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by SuperOnyi: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2023
Shiver99:
Igbo goods were traded across modern day Nigeria and beyond and much like today Igbos were known in dealing with luxury and necessary household items.

For various parts of west Africa it wasn't uncommon to see Igbo cloth being traded. It was expensive and treated as luxury items. To the delta states it was a significant preserve of their elites and nobles. Igbo weavers worked with various textiles such as linen, cotton, barkcloth , silk, raffia, etc, etc...

A European traveller noted many civilians wearing this distinctive Igbo clothing in a town in modern day Northern Nigeria, but wasn't able to get a sample.

Some styles of Igbo cloth below.

shocked

Please what part of Igboland produced these fabrics? Some of the pictures I've seen had scantily dressed people or maybe it was their own style of dressing back then.

I really want to learn.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Chygoz01: 5:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
The oldest tribe in nigeria are the igbos we have a cave where they discovered homo erectus properties and potteries they are known as proto igbos those potteries have been there since 50 thousand years we didn’t migrate we evolve in igbo land

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Old Notes Below ₦‎500,000 Should Deposit In Customers' Banks - CBN, Kogi / #UdomSupremeCourtVictory: Celebration Continues In Uyo (Photo) / PDP Mega Rally In Katsina: Fayose, Secondus, Other PDP Officials Arrive State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.