Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (30948 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2022
YORUBA are your problem
https://djetlawyer.com/inheritance-for-widows-in-nigeria/#_ftnref22
Also, in the Yoruba land, the extinct rules allow women to inherit in consonance with the males as stated in Sule v Ajisegiri[34] where it was held that the partition must be equal between those entitled regardless of sex whether male or female, thus the defendant’s claim that, being male, he was entitled to a larger share was rejected.

Women’s Right To Inheritance In Igbo Land
Members of the Igbo (also known as Ibo) ethnic group mainly leave in the southeastern part of Nigeria and constitute 18% of the country’s over one hundred and thirty-one million population. The Igbo rites classify property into 3 categories; land, commercially valuable trees and plants, and movable property (household articles, livestock, money and debts).[19] For instance although many local variations exist, the inheritance of individually owned land generally follows the principle of primogeniture.

In the Igbo traditional communities, the wives and daughters do not have rights of inheritance over their father’s/husband’s property; the eldest son has the absolute rights to inherit property.[20] However, women are excluded, she has no right of ownership over any property of her deceased husband and this applies to the daughters of the deceased as well. Rather the widow has mere right of possessing a parcel of family property subject to her good behavior whether she has a surviving son or not.

In Igbo customary law, two modes of distribution of intestate estate are recognized per stirpes and per capita. Distribution per stirpes usually takes place in polygamous families. The estate in such a case is distributed as many shares as there are wives that have sons in them ‘Usoekwu’. In the case of distribution per capita, the estate is distributed among the individual sons. In some areas for instance; Abakaliki, Aguata, Anambra, Nsukka (Anambra state) Aba, Afikpo, Arochukwu, Okigwe and Nkwerre (imo state) distribution wherever there is more than one wife is done per stirpes.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by OFFICIAL336: 2:09pm On Apr 14, 2022
TAO11:
For the sake of summary and helping your amnesia, the following are the indices of Yoruba civilization which I had touched on:

(A) The best architectural feat found in the West of Africa.

Show us what your ancestors did, not what the copied from Oyibo. Show us Yoruba indigenous house like the op did.

TAO11:

(B) The best classical artworks (in diverse media) from sub-Saharan Africa.
Another Yoruba lies.

Igboukwu is more sophisticated than Ife art which is mostly the ooni head.

It's even on record that Nri taught Ife iron work. Igboukwu BRONZE art is about 100 years than Ife.

TAO11:

(C) The knowledge and use of textile/clothing since the classical/ancient times.
But we saw the picture of an Ijebu noble woman that is unclad.

TAO11:

(D) The knowledge/presence of street paving in Ife (and other parts of Yorubaland) over 1,000 years ago.
Over 1,000 years?

But ife civilization started in the 12th century

TAO11:

(E) The innovation of a social-order based on a self-evolved government system now known as monarchy.

Among several others, such as writing (as evidenced on the ancient Oranmiyan obelisk); the best bow-men in Africa (as noted by Clapperton’s team); shiny walls (in relation to which the best from Benin could not come close in comparison, as may be seen in H.L. Roth); etc.

Cc: theFilmtric
When Igbos were practising democracy your ancestors were busy bowing to tyrant kings

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 2:31pm On Apr 14, 2022
OFFICIAL336:
[s]If what you said is true, why haven't the yorubas sustain the development?

Yoruba villages are the most unorganized in the South. You claim to live in fine buildings in the past, but today you live in ugly houses in your villages[/s]

OFFICIAL336:
[s]Show us what your ancestors did, not what the copied from Oyibo. Show us Yoruba indigenous house like the op did.

Another Yoruba lies.

Igboukwu is more sophisticated than Ife art which is mostly the ooni head.

It's even on record that Nri taught Ife iron work. Igboukwu BRONZE art is about 100 years than Ife.

But we saw the picture of an Ijebu noble woman that is unclad.

Over 1,000 years?

But ife civilization started in the 12th century

When Igbos were practising democracy your ancestors were busy bowing to tyrant kings[/s]
Loool.

I curse whomsoever caused you this much pain. You shall overcome. Hold fast to God. This too shall pass.

Having said that, it is my style is to adduce evidence to support my claims as you must have seen.

If you truly crave my attention as you seem to do, then make sure to adduce evidence (real evidence) for each of the wish-list you’ve typed up here.

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by OFFICIAL336: 10:12pm On Apr 14, 2022
TAO11:

Loool.

I curse whomsoever caused you this much pain. You shall overcome. Hold fast to God. This too shall pass.

Having said that, it is my style is to adduce evidence to support my claims as you must have seen.

If you truly crave my attention as you seem to do, then make sure to adduce evidence (real evidence) for each of the wish-list you’ve typed up here.

Cheers.

I don't crave your attention because a lot of people already know you as a FRAUD.

It's only a pity you are the best Yorubas can offer.

Cheers
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 14, 2022
Shiver99:
The geographical area that Igbos occupy is one of the most fertile areas in the entirety of West Africa; bounded by rapidly decertifying arid areas to the north and infertile mangroves to the south. It was a veritable stroke of genius by Igbo ancestors that they were able to possess this section of prime land.

And these Igbo ancestral "geniuses" chose to be limited to LANDLOCKED DOT IN THE CIRCLE.

Foolery + Foolery + Foolery

The darkest shades in the picture is the extent and limit of Igbo culture in Southern Nigeria,

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Polchiz(m): 11:59pm On Apr 14, 2022
aribisala0:
Yes Yoruba are your nightmare but that is not what this thread is about

Here we are discussing Eboes in their historical context

We know that in Eboe tradition women are chattels with no inheritance rites and no political role.
We also know of barbaric practices like OSUISM which make some people outcaste and untouchable. It was an extreme punishment for some crimes so this idea of pledging to deities for protection is just another LIE as is typical of you folk. LYING through your teeth is something you do consistently with no shame

Simple test instead of all this pseudo justification. Will any human being CHOOSE to be an OSU

The long and short is that there are so many barbaric and bestial practices that cannot be justified by sane minds

Your brain is empty

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by aribisala0(m): 12:07am On Apr 15, 2022
Polchiz:

Your brain is empty
I know . Yours is full of akpu

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 1:22am On Apr 15, 2022
OFFICIAL336:
[s]I don't crave your attention because a lot of people already know you as a FRAUD.

It's only a pity you are the best Yorubas can offer.

Cheers[/s]
So this is the best you can do? Wonderful! grin

Anyway, if you wish to be taken seriously by humans, make sure to adduce evidence for each wish-list you have typed up so far.

That shouldn’t be too difficult for you naw—except you be joke sha o.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:53am On Apr 15, 2022
While Igbos had a variety of head-coverings for different occasions (i.e the iconic raffia broad-rimmed hats, various caps (generally for some religious purpose likely, typical 'ichafu' tied hairwraps...),

I wonder why the flowing headdresses that Igbos often wore had so quickly fallen out of fashion. Notice in the last shrine photo how the female shrine caricatures all have the same flowing headdress?

I think that Igbos today can probably revitalize it and bring it back as a modern fashion piece.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:55am On Apr 15, 2022
Another picture of an Igbo woman wearing the same headdress standing in front of a temple.

The only groups I have seen wearing at least something similar are some west African groups that live in more arid zones like those below. And some southern African groups, who unsurprisingly, live in rather arid zones.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:03am On Apr 15, 2022
Another thing that Igbos seemed to have dropped, is the common usage of 'off-the-shoulder' coverings.

In past photos below, we can see that Igbo women wore it often, but in the modern-day, most clans seem to prefer a more streamlined look to their dresses. On the other hand, some groups to the west of the Niger have completely adopted this same style in everything they do.

It's interesting how fashions change over time.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Akponmfet: 6:03am On Apr 15, 2022
They lived like cannibals.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:07am On Apr 15, 2022
Some surgical instruments from the past and another picture of a traditional physician

Traditional Igbo doctors and physicians spents years training in various aspects of medicine. Different fields of Igbo medicine included, herbology, incision(surgical)/blood-letting, mind-healing, bone-setting, etc, etc....

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:08am On Apr 15, 2022
Reconstruction of Igbo-Ukwu shrine and the inside of a traditional meeting hall below

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:09am On Apr 15, 2022
Some more Igbo women of the past (Notice how in the first picture, the women's hairstyle is inset with various pieces of jewellery? That's it a popular style that foreigners had noted in Igboland.)

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by OFFICIAL336: 10:48am On Apr 15, 2022
TAO11:

So this is the best you can do? Wonderful! grin

Anyway, if you wish to be taken seriously by humans, make sure to adduce evidence for each wish-list you have typed up so far.

That shouldn’t be too difficult for you naw—except you be joke sha o.

Cheers.

List all the things you need evidence for and I'll quote them with the evidence.

I am sure you'll find a way to dodge this, as the FRAUD you are.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 11:36am On Apr 15, 2022
OFFICIAL336:
[s]List all the things you need evidence for and I'll quote them with the evidence.

I am sure you'll find a way to dodge this, as the FRAUD you are.[/s]
You’re so desperate to project your FRAUDulent ways of life. LMAO grin Sorry ehn, sorry. cheesy

Need evidence? You be laughing stock grin. My words are: IF YOU WISH TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, then back up your WISH-LIST with evidence.

So the ball is in your court if you don’t want to remain the joke that you are.

But since you are amnesiac and can’t seem to have a functioning memory, find your WISH-LIST attached.

kiss

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by OFFICIAL336: 11:44am On Apr 15, 2022
TAO11:

You’re so desperate to project your FRAUDulent ways of life. LMAO grin Sorry ehn, sorry. cheesy

Need evidence? You be laughing stock grin. My words are: IF YOU WISH TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, then back up your WISH-LIST evidence.

So the ball is in your court if you don’t want to remain the joke that you are.

But since you are amnesiac and can’t seem to have a functioning memory, find your WISH-LIST attached.

kiss
I said it.

I know you'll find a way to dodge. List the things you want me to proof and I'll quote them with evidence or you want me to start quoting myself?

Is that Igboukwu art is more sophisticated than Ife, Ife learnt iron work from Nri, Igboukwu bronze is 100 years ahead of Ife, Ife civilization started in the 12 century or Yorubas were still naked in the 20th century?

List whatever you want in your reply and I'll prove them with evidence.

But as a FRAUD, I expect you run away.

Igbo civilization is 100 years ahead of Yoruba.

FACT

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by TAO11(f): 4:10pm On Apr 15, 2022
OFFICIAL336:
[s]I said it.

I know you'll find a way to dodge. List the things you want me to proof and I'll quote them with evidence or you want me to start quoting myself?

Is that Igboukwu art is more sophisticated than Ife, Ife learnt iron work from Nri, Igboukwu bronze is 100 years ahead of Ife, Ife civilization started in the 12 century or Yorubas were still naked in the 20th century?

List whatever you want in your reply and I'll prove them with evidence.

But as a FRAUD, I expect you run away.

Igbo civilization is 100 years ahead of Yoruba. FACT[/s]
Thank you for proving you’re a joke whose fingers are alive only when it’s to type wishlists.

ME: Type the evidence for the claims you made

OFFICIALFRUAD: [scratches head]
EERRM … Actually my fingers stopped functioning, please help me re-type my own wishlists which I’ve been typing all along. Thanks ma.

ME: You’re welcome. And thanks for proving my suspicion that you’re a fraud, clown and joke. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 1:59pm On May 03, 2022
Wow

So this thread is still going lipsrsealed
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Alfo65: 1:18pm On Jun 25, 2022
Can we continue this thread?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:04am On Jun 30, 2022
Alfo65:
Can we continue this thread?

I will try, although much of the information is not easily accessible to the public unfortunately. It is often in museum databases and the like, that you may need to pay for to access.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:10am On Jun 30, 2022
Anyways,
{Repost from a previous thread...}

Igbo- Ukwu is an archaeological site in Igboland, that was stumbled upon completely by accident. It took the world by storm and retains it's title today as Nigeria's oldest discovered bronze-casting culture.

While this is impressive, This is just one archaeological site in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:13am On Jun 30, 2022
One way of discovering numerous ancient treasures is by surveying the burial tombs and mounds of high-ranking individuals. For archaeologists, this is a great source of information, a practice which Igbos of old shared with the Ancient Egyptians.

Along with the reputable Igbo-Ukwu site, according to Igbo historians from a couple of decades ago, interviews with the local populace hint at several more ancient Igbo-Ukwu -like sites across the Igbo Heartland of unknown number. With probably even more bountiful treasures. The only barrier to accessing them is politicking and maybe some local tussles.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:14am On Jun 30, 2022
An extract from an Igbo historian in the 1980s....

{One fact which is becoming increasingly clear concerns the spatial distribution of bronze objects in eastern Nigeria. Afikpo oral tradition claims that there exists a dump of bronze/brass/copper objects in the Ogwugwu valley. The spot is very sacred to the people and my attempts at locating the exact place did not get the necessary support from the local population. The bronze objects purport to have been abandoned by the Ego (the putative ancestors of present-day Ugwuagu and Amizu communities in Afikpo). In addition, the burial of a one-time chief, Okorie Chukwu, of Uzuakoli in Imo State is claimed by the elders to contain numerous burial goods including some bronze/brass objects. This site was brought to our notice by the incessant letters of one Mr. Akwani who asserted that there exist some royal tombs in Uzuakoli which might yield valuable archaeological information. After the usual survey and consultations, we were ready to test-excavate one of the chambers. But to our surprise, an explosive politicking ensued immediately and we were forced to abandon the investigation. There are, however, many garbage dumps and mounds which hold plenty of promise for archaeological investigation in Uzuakoli.
– V. E. Chikwendu (1984). "More Bronzes from Eastern Nigeria." Anthropos. pp. 260–261.}

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:15am On Jun 30, 2022
Unfortunately, due to the Nigerian equation, the initial inroads into studying Igbo ancient civilisations in the 80s didn't go anywhere, although Igbos today seem to be picking it up little by little.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by DECLAN2015(m): 7:16am On Jun 30, 2022
Shiver99:
The result of abundance and good geographical locations inspired critical thinking and with critical thinking it in turn inspired a strong sense of independence. When someone is educated, they are difficult to enslave, and that was no different for Ancient Igbos.

Educated with ideas of freedom and equity, there was very little way a demagogue could force themselves into society and label themselves a "king" or 'Emperor" as we see in some other groups. The thought for many Igbos then and now was even repulsive, and they looked on at more feudal neighbours with some curiosity, some concern, and some mockery.

Thus, Igbos became the originators of one of the most unique forms of democracy known to man.

A proud tradition that Igbos still upheld to this day.

A tradition of no leader.Even ants has a leader.every body can't be boss.it brings chaos and unknown kinds of things
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 7:26am On Jun 30, 2022
The most important thing about the estimated ancient burial mounds in the Igbo heartland is that many people assume that the recovered Igbo-Ukwu site was the tomb of a king or Eze. This was due to the level of wealth and artifacts that were found in the site.

However, interviews with Igbo elders indicate that is likely an erroneous assumption. Instead of a king-like figure, their words indicated that this was just the tomb of a wealthy titled man. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Because this indicates that there may be sites with even more extravagant and costly pieces, which can point to the level of art, wealth, and precision that Igbos had achieved at the time.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 10:05pm On Sep 29, 2022
siofra:

I said a form of democracy not the very liberal democracy we practice today.
Please delete my post from your post.
Thank you siofra kiss smiley
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by siofra(f): 10:13pm On Sep 29, 2022
theFilmtric:
Please delete my post from your post.
Thank you siofra kiss smiley

Why?

You've changed your mind?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by theFilmtric: 10:16pm On Sep 29, 2022
siofra:

Why?

You've changed your mind?
yeah kinda.
I was responding to vitriol
Most of what was said in this thread was grift and shallow talk
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by siofra(f): 11:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
theFilmtric:
yeah kinda.
I was responding to vitriol
Most of what was said in this thread was grift and shallow talk

Okay.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Confusion As Thugs Block Danjuma Goje From Entering Gombe (pics) / Collapse Of Bank PHB: Atiku Has Questions To Answer - Lai Mohammed / Kidnapped Kagara Students And Teachers Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.