Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days (31408 Views)

Tinubu Is Modest, He Lived In 3-bedroom Abuja Apartment Before Election - Bagudu / How Igbos Stoned Awolowo In Aba — Adebanjo / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Detuner: 12:29am On Jan 12, 2022
Donmobi:

Bravo!
I guess those Igbo warriors consisted of a more adolescent bunch.
Brave!!

Back to you Friend,
[]wow! Just look at those colours on those your warriors, amazing and enlightening, I've really learnt something today, perhaps you should maybe......
Create a thread on this
wink
[]

One question though, why are there so much bright colours on their warrior dressings?, don't you think it would play them a big disadvantages in warfare especially in areas were blending and camouflage are crucial?
Don't you think bright colours make them easy targets
?

The art of warfare is always evolving. In the olden days conventional warfare is via close combat, hence camouflaged uniforms were not necessary. The development of longer range and deadlier weapons of the 20th century made camouflaged uniforms necessary. However, with growing development in heat seeking laser guided weaponry, even camouflaged uniforms will soon be a thing of the pass.

With 100, 000 strong Cavalry Army, at its heights, the Kanem Bornu Empire stretched from Nassarrawa State (Nigeria) to Modern day Libya. One cant help but to marvel at the sophistry of the Ancient Bornu Cavalry Regalia, as compared to our Igbo warrior army of early 20th century. grin

BKAyy,
you derailed this thread. While I find the initial thread posts educating, it was not my intention to participate in this manner. If you want to compare ur heritage with others, at least be fair and objective about it. Besides, you dont have to distort or belittle other people's heritage/history, for yours to seem "special". It just shows desperation on your part, and is counter-productive. We all have a lot to learn from each other as you can see.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ThickSharon123(f): 2:30am On Jan 12, 2022
Putindbutt:

There is no existence of these hairstyles anywhere among ibos. All these couldn't have gone extinct within 46 years of colonization. They are hard to come by among Ibo women.

Please, ignore these kind of people and continue with the thread Shiver99, you're doing a good job.

They are disturbed and need attention by all cost.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by nisai: 9:56am On Jan 12, 2022
TAO11:
Warning to Bkayy:
You will need your brain this time around.

Those who key-in to strides in the global space are worthless?? Lol.

Is that what I’m hearing?? grin What inferiority complex
can not do to ndi-Igbos does not exist. LMAO grin

Well, sorry to shatter your ass as I’m about to do:
Ndi-Igbos also keyed-in to trends in the global space-just that they were slow/late to the party.

For example, your ancestors built a “coal power plant” (LMAO) attached in the 1st screenshot below. grin /s

The brown zinc-roofing of this Igbo “coal power plant” was a global trend which the Igbos also keyed into.

Will you then be bold/consistent enough to inform us about how worthless your fore-dads/moms are?

Yes that’s the Alaafin Adeyemi-1 Arowolodu.

Yes, he is fully & richly robed in a silk attire as it befits his royal majesty.

Do Igbo Ezes/Igwes pose naked for photoshoots? Just curious. wink

Lastly, that photograph was taken in c.1903NOT 1975, you degenerate nincompoop. grin
————

Having exposed you for the insanely moronic liar that you are, take a look at the Yorùbá home in the second screenshot below.

Yes, it is the famous Ẹbun House (aka. Pẹtẹsi Anduru) owned by a Yorùbá man, viz. Bode Thomas’ father.

Yes it was designed and constructed by a Yorùbá man. Yes, the Yoruba architect is: Herbert Macaulay.

The structure was completed by 1913.

There are more in stock.

Die in your jealousy.

Watch out. cheesy

Cheers kiss
Nice.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by boyfrank: 9:18am On Jan 13, 2022
This is a thread about Igbos, the OP didn't mention the yorubas neither did he invite them to critique. But somehow, like insecure little brats they crawled into this thread with bile and hate.
The same people will accuse igbos of hate.

They created a thread on Reno hailing the influence of the Yorubas in global music but half of it is filled with Igbo bashing.
Get a life dudes.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 6:41pm On Jan 13, 2022
It seems whenever I am pummelling TAO11, a particular mod exhibit his/her biased nature probably because he/she is from the ethnicity I am dealing with.
I have no remorse for the unavoidable ass whooping I serve Yoruba people on this forum, especially to those that doesn't know that alot of people see through the fabricated, shameless lies they call history.

Mrs TAO11, I am very sorry for not following up my ass whooping on time. It is not my fault but your mods. They did the same on the Fake Oyo calvary where I put an end to such fallacy but unlike the other thread that I lost interest after the mods interruption, I still have interest in this one because it gives me avenue to expose you peoples pitiable transition to civilisation, unforseen inferiority complex to whites, the weakness of Yoruba ancestors and the poverty of which is unarguably a birth right to Yorubas.

Now let's begin,
TAO11: Those who key-in to strides in the global space are worthless?? Lol.
Depending on how we look at your pitiable history, one would have argued that Yorubas were dragged into Western acculturation but looking at the state Yorubas were, it is safe to say that Yorubas have nothing to hold unto architecture wise but to copy what the whites could spare to them, that is why in this thread, every other nation is presenting what their ancestors built by themselves while the Yorubas present what they adulterated from the whites in 20th century. This is because the Yoruba architecture is not worth bragging about or atleast presenting. If you a Yoruba is ashamed of it, I wonder what outsiders like us will say about it

TAO11: Ndi-Igbos also keyed-in to trends in the global space-just that they were slow/late to the party.
You are very wrong here. Ndigbo were never slow but by the time you Yorubas were wallowing in what the west can spare in culture and architecture, Ndigbo were busy protecting their independence from the Whites in the battle (Ekumeku, Aro, Nri etc).
Unlike the Yorubas that see the whites as God's, the Igbo man consider his heritage as superior. This is even evident in our discussion. I value and showcase what my people did while you showcase how second class you are to whites.

TAO11: For example, your ancestors built a “coal power plant” (LMAO) attached in the 1st screenshot below. grin /s The brown zinc-roofing of this Igbo “coal power plant” was a global trend which the Igbos also keyed into.
I won't blame your ignorance here because comparing your Yoruba culture to mine, one would notice the huge gap that can make a Yoruba assume that what we accomplished is at par with those they consider superhumans (whites).
Well to burst your bubble structures like this existed prior to the existence of Nigeria. You can see similar structures as recent as 1903. Ndigbo don't copy but bend things to suit their culture. The only difference between my attached picture and yours is substituting rafia for zinc. The pattern of roofing and everything remained the same, showing originality and pride.

Finally, the picture you are parading, if it was as recent as 1945 (which is false anyway) proves how Ndigbo held their heritage unlike you that copied to remain second class for ever (evident in Yoruba villages of 2021).
Just look at the official skyline of Ibadan in 2021

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 6:47pm On Jan 13, 2022
TAO11:
You mean I should forgive your foolishness/stupidity??

Okay I forgive your foolishness and stupidity. Done? cheesy

I’m ROTFL. grin cheesy

You mean that thread where everyone literally gang-r@ped you and made you a laughing stock?? cheesy

You were so humiliated that you had no a choice than to flee quietly.

Below is the link to where I hammered the final nail into your coffin in that thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/6780162/there-really-oyo-empire/2#106349518

Looks familiar, or still partially amnesiac?

Haha
LOL. You mean the thread where none of you could prove how the mysterious Oyo calvary vanished?
Well victory means something else in Yorubaland.

Had it been I chose to ignore this thread and Nairaland in general after your biased mod repeated what he/she did when I was tearing you Yorubas smelly asses in that thread, this will be how you lots will be celebrating another imaginary victory. Just go to that thread and read till I lost Interest. I tore down the fallacy called Oyo empire and her imaginary horses.

Mtcheww... Yorubas and fakeness sha. OK are you now ready to prove how both the mysterious Oyo calvary and the horsemanship associated with it vanished from this realm?
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 7:31pm On Jan 13, 2022
Detuner:

The art of warfare is always evolving. In the olden days conventional warfare is via close combat, hence camouflaged uniforms were not necessary. The development of longer range and deadlier weapons of the 20th century made camouflaged uniforms necessary. However, with growing development in heat seeking laser guided weaponry, even camouflaged uniforms will soon be a thing of the pass.

With 100, 000 strong Cavalry Army, at its heights, the Kanem Bornu Empire stretched from Nassarrawa State (Nigeria) to Modern day Libya. One cant help but to marvel at the sophistry of the Ancient Bornu Cavalry Regalia, as compared to our Igbo warrior army of early 20th century. grin

BKAyy,
you derailed this thread. While I find the initial thread posts educating, it was not my intention to participate in this manner. If you want to compare ur heritage with others, at least be fair and objective about it. Besides, you dont have to distort or belittle other people's heritage/history, for yours to seem "special". It just shows desperation on your part, and is counter-productive. We all have a lot to learn from each other as you can see.
Of course, my Igbo culture is both special and superior. To prove it, I am being both objective and considerate in laying down my submissions. That doesn't mean I don't recognise impressive achievements of our neighbouring nations. I do.

Now to the topic of warfare and armory of our various nations. The first thing you need to understand is that we all live in different terrains and biomes. The Northern nations of Nigeria live in Sahel/Sudan savannah so as such their fighting styles and armory are designed to suit their environment.

I know that your aim of bringing up this armory stuff is to showcase your horses and armours but it might interest you to know/remember that those are things you got from interaction with the Arab/Islamic world.
Well, its not as if it is in any way superior to my ancient Igbo fighting style and armory because mine was designed to suit our environment which is a contrasting thick rain forest to what you people have in the North.
It is not just a rainforest but one with inter/intra linking streams and rivers. In Igboland most boundaries are drawn from rivers and streams so much of our fighting is done there. A lot of the fighting in ancient Igboland were done on canoes or at the waterside and our armoury and fighting styles were designed to suit it.
For the war done on land, both of the opposing sides utilise the surrounding forest environment for their benefit. There are special armory and fighting style designed for it like in my second picture and the one you already posted from Arochukwu.

I will like to stop the explanation here because I don't know the kind of people that may be reading it.

So, comparing our indigenous armours to your Islamic/Arab oriented Armours, I will say that both maximised what they could to adapt to their environment. Both cannot excel in the opposite environment. Your calvary stand no chance to our well adapted Rain Forest fighting style while ours cannot excel in yours.

This cost the British decades and manpower to claim Igboland but as little as days to hours for those that were not
Militarily advanced like the Yorubas.

The first picture below is that of long canoes and indigenous Igbo Bridge at Arochukwu.

The second picture, typical of Igbo land warfare is from Awka featuring their sword, war helmet and very large heavy Shield which is not easily movable and designed to withstand spear attacks.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Detuner: 11:46pm On Jan 14, 2022
[img][/img]
BKayy:

Of course, my Igbo culture is both special and superior. To prove it, I am being both objective and considerate in laying down my submissions. That doesn't mean I don't recognise impressive achievements of our neighbouring nations. I do.

Now to the topic of warfare and armory of our various nations. The first thing you need to understand is that we all live in different terrains and biomes. The Northern nations of Nigeria live in Sahel/Sudan savannah so as such their fighting styles and armory are designed to suit their environment.

I know that your aim of bringing up this armory stuff is to showcase your horses and armours but it might interest you to know/remember that those are things you got from interaction with the Arab/Islamic world.
Well, its not as if it is in any way superior to my ancient Igbo fighting style and armory because mine was designed to suit our environment which is a contrasting thick rain forest to what you people have in the North.
It is not just a rainforest but one with inter/intra linking streams and rivers. In Igboland most boundaries are drawn from rivers and streams so much of our fighting is done there. Most of the fighting in ancient Igboland were done on canoes or at the waterside and our armoury and fighting styles were designed to suit it.
If fighting must be done on land, both of the opposing sides utilise the surrounding forest environment for their benefit.

I will like to stop the explanation here because I don't know the kind of people that may be reading it.

So, comparing our indigenous armours to your Islamic/Arab oriented Armours, I will say that both maximised what they could to adapt to their environment. Both cannot excel in the opposite environment. Your calvary stand no chance to our well adapted Rain Forest fighting style while ours cannot excel in yours.

This cost the British decades and manpower to claim Igboland but as little as days to hours for those that were not
Militarily advanced like the Yorubas.

The picture below is that of long canoes and indigenous Igbo Bridge at Arochukwu

Problem with u is that your ego has blocked ur sense of reality. Are Igbos the only people in the south The Great Benin and Oyo Empires have rich cultural heritage thats unsurpassed by any tribe in the South. They have a thriving civilization before the white man stepped foot on the coast of west Africa, but same cant be said about Igbos. Though the use of cavalry in warfare is alien to your tribe, it is not to other tribes in the south. Benin and Oyo had cavalry army too, do they get that from the Arabs too? Fact of the matter is, Igbo people were among the most backward tribes in the South of the Sahel. You know it, and everyone knows it. Which is why you have been easy preys to smaller tribes even in your region, for centuries. Just because the white man found you yesterday, clothed you, thought you how to read and write in english, suddenly you are the "superior" tribe that want to re-write the past; hence achievements order tribes have attained in the past, could not have been Indigenious to them but to Igbo boogeyman i.e "Arab", "hausa", "Fulani" etc.

Why yorubas had clothes, at a time your tribe were wandering naked? "it because of Arab, Hausa, fulani" .
why Borno Empire conquered part of Libya, and had embassy in Turkey at a time, your tribe were living the life of hunters and gatherers? "its because of Arabs".
Why a non-Igbo tribe like Fulanis, yorubas, Edos had Cavalry Army and superior war armour, at a time when there was no single horse in Igbo land or you were fighting almost bare naked? "its because of Arab".
Why the Ancient beautiful architectural cities and building the north? " it is because of Arab".
Why the existence of fine Yoruba Architectural buildings and clothing, at a time there was nothing of such in Igbo land? "its because they copied from Arab, Hausa, or Fulani".
Why non-igbo tribes like Igalas were wearing shoes, at time igbos were wandering barefooted? "it must be because of Arab".
Thus displaying ur low self esteem for all to see grin

Btw, do you know the Red hats that has for centuries become a symbol of status in Igbo land, came from the North?

Sophisticated Mkuru Mmiri Army Corpsgrin
[img]https:///e3cc0dbe873bfc2092e38ad2e65c59b6/tumblr_mukldjlSEl1qjh37to2_r1_1280.jpg[/img]

Can they even fight against the All Female Army of Dahomey?

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 12:07am On Jan 15, 2022
Detuner:

Problem with u is that your ego has blocked ur sense of reality. Are Igbos the only people in the south The Great Benin and Oyo Empires have rich cultural heritage thats unsurpassed by any tribe in the South. They have a thriving civilization before the white man stepped foot on the coast of west Africa, but same cant be said about Igbos. Though the use of cavalry in warfare is alien to your tribe, it is not to other tribes in the south. Benin and Oyo had cavalry army too, do they get that from the Arabs too?
First of all, don't drag innocent Bini people into you Yorubas show of shame by making up impossible stories as history such as horses surviving in tse tse fly infested rainforest of the South. Bini travel with canoes like other civilised Southern nations like Igbo, Efik and Ibibio.
The imaginary Oyo calvary never existed. The picture you posted as a proof is just ceremonial of which anybody can import one or two horses to pose with.
If you doubt it, can you explain how come barely a century after the claim, there is no visible proof of horsemanship or horse ownership in the entire Oyo and Yorubaland at large?

Which is why you have been easy preys to non-igbo smaller tribes in the South for centuries.
History is not about wishes. You can't lie and expect it to turn to fact like you Yorubas are doing with the Oyo fallacies. Aboh (Igbo) was the most powerful naval city in lower Niger prior to British takeover of Nigeria. It was confirmed by the early Europeans that came to Nigeria.

Why yorubas had clothes, at a time your tribe were wandering naked? "it because of Arab, Hausa, fulani"
Yoruba still remain the only nation with high population in Nigeria without an indigenous clothing. At a time Kano clothed half of the Sahel. Infact the city of kano is known for her textile.
As for Igbo, When the British came to Nigeria, they noticed that most clothing in lower Niger are of Igbo origin. Baikie confirmed that Igbo cloths were sold in Igala land and Bini.

Having cleared your confusion, savour the visual proof of the difference between the Igbo wealth and the poverty you people call clothing and culture in Yorubaland.
By the way, those beautiful ladies you posted are wearing ivories and ornaments that can buy a full Yoruba village. They worth more than your women in that picture with no single accessory of value. In Igboland, we will say that they look naked because there is nothing of them that has a single value.
That your picture is the visual proof of poverty in Yorubaland.

Now take a look at the glorious ancient pictures from the Great Igboland

1st pic = Normal Yoruba primitive women
2nd pic = Aboh Merchant Canoes/Navy
3rd pic = An Igbo lady from Asaba
4th pic = A famous wealthy Igbo woman from Onitsha.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 12:43am On Jan 15, 2022
By the way @Detuner, take a look at the people that officially civilised and clothed the Yorubas.
Their name is FULANI

As for your post on our soldiers that took on Britain for a full year

LOL, you don't need to remind everybody of your nemesis (female warriors) because we all know that it was teenage Amazon female warriors that defeated the imaginary Oyo empire soldiers at Dahomey. Yorubas were filled up with their lies and attempted to impose themselves on Dahomey before a group of teenage girls raped all their male fighters. They have a picture for it grin

1st pic = Normal Fulani women from Guinea in their normal Fulani attire which will later be called Aso oké by the Yorubas after Fulani clothed them with it.

2nd pic = Is the real pic of Alaafin of Oyo in 20th century rocking a Fulani female attire as official regalia. It is more pronounced in 21st century.

3rd pic = the original Fulani female attire from a fulani woman from Burkina Faso Alaafin copied his dressing from.

4th pic = A Dahomey teenage female Amazon holding a severed head of a male Yoruba Oyo fighter after defeating and expelling invading Oyo from Dahomey.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 1:03am On Jan 15, 2022
Detuner:
[img][/img]

Btw, do you know the Red hats that has for centuries become a symbol of status in Igbo land, came from the North?

This is the part of your rant that sounded more hilarious. You should have said that it came from Yorubaland instead of North to prove how funny you can be.
Just read a snippet from William Baikie exploring Voyage about the red hats.
That was before they even thought of mixing God's Children (Ndigbo) with you Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by christistruth01: 4:38pm On Jan 17, 2022

[img]https:///e3cc0dbe873bfc2092e38ad2e65c59b6/tumblr_mukldjlSEl1qjh37to2_r1_1280.jpg[/img]

The Red Igbo Cap came from a Popular British Colonial District Officer in the East Called Reginald Hargrove who always wore an Egyptian red Fez Cap.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 2:31am On Jan 18, 2022
christistruth01:

The Red Igbo Cap came from a Popular British Colonial District Officer in the East Called Reginald Hargrove who always wore an Egyptian red Fez Cap.
LOL. You Yorubas are one hell of a funny people.
The extent you lots go to make mockery of yourselves is amazing.

Well, Walter Amobi ascended as the first warrant chief of Ogidi in 1904 while Baikie met the Red cap chiefs of Asaba in 1854.

So what you really want us to believe with your funny source is that Walter Amobi time travelled to introduce it before he was born or he introduced it as a 16 year old boy (because he was born in 1838 and he wasn't a warrant chief until 1904 at 66yrs).

Yorubas sef. I never knew that our Ọzọ red cap will also be of envy to you people.
Well superior culture always attract envy from those with lesser culture. To you people Igbo accomplishments is too great for black people that you are looking for ways to associate it to whites.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by dragunov: 4:51am On Jan 18, 2022
Fahdiga1:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but my great grandfather who was an Oba in Ilesha back then told me the truth that the Igbos were the first civilized black race in the world. That they helped bring civilization to our Yoruba land. I keep wondering how the Igbos were to be exposed so early more than us the Yorubas

grin grin grin grin grin

What a self deluding meddlesome interloper.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by dragunov: 5:00am On Jan 18, 2022
BKayy:

Well, Walter Amobi ascended as the first warrant chief of Ogidi in 1904 while Baikie met the Red cap chiefs of Asaba in 1854.

So what you really want us to believe with your funny source is that Walter Amobi time travelled to introduce it before he was born or he introduced it as a 16 year old boy (because he was born in 1838 and he wasn't a warrant chief until 1904 at 66yrs).

Yorubas sef. I never knew that our Ọzọ red cap will also be of envy to you people.
Well superior culture always attract envy from those with lesser culture. To you people Igbo accomplishments is too great for black people that you are looking for ways to associate it to whites.

Superior culture my colon. Wearing red cap is a symbol of superior culture? Igbos and their loud but false sense of superiority. Empty chest beaters. grin grin
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by dragunov: 5:10am On Jan 18, 2022
BKayy:

First of all, don't drag innocent Bini people into you Yorubas show of shame by making up impossible stories as history such as horses surviving in tse tse fly infested rainforest of the South. Bini travel with canoes like other civilised Southern nations like Igbo, Efik and Ibibio.
The imaginary Oyo calvary never existed. The picture you posted as a proof is just ceremonial of which anybody can import one or two horses to pose with.
If you doubt it, can you explain how come barely a century after the claim, there is no visible proof of horsemanship or horse ownership in the entire Oyo and Yorubaland at large?

History is not about wishes. You can't lie and expect it to turn to fact like you Yorubas are doing with the Oyo fallacies. Aboh (Igbo) was the most powerful naval city in lower Niger prior to British takeover of Nigeria. It was confirmed by the early Europeans that came to Nigeria.

Yoruba still remain the only nation with high population in Nigeria without an indigenous clothing. At a time Kano clothed half of the Sahel. Infact the city of kano is known for her textile.
As for Igbo, When the British came to Nigeria, they noticed that most clothing in lower Niger are of Igbo origin. Baikie confirmed that Igbo cloths were sold in Igala land and Bini.

Having cleared your confusion, savour the visual proof of the difference between the Igbo wealth and the poverty you people call clothing and culture in Yorubaland.
By the way, those beautiful ladies you posted are wearing ivories and ornaments that can buy a full Yoruba village. They worth more than your women in that picture with no single accessory of value. In Igboland, we will say that they look naked because there is nothing of them that has a single value.
That your picture is the visual proof of poverty in Yorubaland.

Now take a look at the glorious ancient pictures from the Great Igboland

1st pic = Normal Yoruba primitive women
2nd pic = Aboh Merchant Canoes/Navy
3rd pic = An Igbo lady from Asaba
4th pic = A famous wealthy Igbo woman from Onitsha.

You are so pathetic. That is the summary of your life history.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by christistruth01: 8:50am On Jan 18, 2022
BKayy:

The Traditional Red Caps worn in the Benin Kingdom by Warriors to which Asaba belonged were different from the Red fez Egyptain Caps Reginald Hargrove introduced to the East in 1904

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by BKayy: 1:28pm On Jan 18, 2022
christistruth01:

The Traditional Red Caps worn in the Benin Kingdom by Warriors to which Asaba belonged were different from the Red fez Egyptain Caps Reginald Hargrove introduced to the East in 1904
You should have asked Bini people before bringing them into this.

By the way, Reginald Hargrove came to Nigeria from 1898 upwards.That is decades Baikie met what he REPORTED in Asaba.

I understand you are trying to link us to your people so that you can tap from our glamourous history and culture. That is the essence of Bini being part of Asaba comedy. So that at the end you will link Ife to Bini like you people have been trying to do and claim part of our magnificent culture.

Anyways, the red cap has always been part of the ọzọ title since time immemorial, only the material differed with time. Check out the bronze from Igbo ukwu that outdates Bini herself rocking the cap. grin
The Red cap Oba of Bini wears plus the Igbo four market days Bini still practice till tomorrow is the remnants of Nri influence over them. Ask their Elders.

Unlike you people that lie up and down, we give you physical proof that when you go to the place tomorrow, you will see it life and direct.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by boyfrank: 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2022
KingOKON:

Baby girl we sabi Igbos, be it in 9ja or abroad

U hate igbos but u can't remove ur eyes from an Igbo woman. Pervert.
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by boyfrank: 2:16pm On Jan 18, 2022
Putindbutt:

1. The leg cuffs wasn't an ivory.

2. Those who were given leg Ivory were identified as sex slaves to the whites. Ibo men were slaves commodity as much as their women as sex palliatives.

U are an inconsequential person continue fooling ur self
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by bomb24: 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2022
Detuner:
[img][/img]

Problem with u is that your ego has blocked ur sense of reality. Are Igbos the only people in the south The Great Benin and Oyo Empires have rich cultural heritage thats unsurpassed by any tribe in the South. They have a thriving civilization before the white man stepped foot on the coast of west Africa, but same cant be said about Igbos. Though the use of cavalry in warfare is alien to your tribe, it is not to other tribes in the south. Benin and Oyo had cavalry army too, do they get that from the Arabs too? Fact of the matter is, Igbo people were among the most backward tribes in the South of the Sahel. You know it, and everyone knows it. Which is why you have been easy preys to smaller tribes even in your region, for centuries. Just because the white man found you yesterday, clothed you, thought you how to read and write in english, suddenly you are the "superior" tribe that want to re-write the past; hence achievements order tribes have attained in the past, could not have been Indigenious to them but to Igbo boogeyman i.e "Arab", "hausa", "Fulani" etc.

Why yorubas had clothes, at a time your tribe were wandering naked? "it because of Arab, Hausa, fulani" .
why Borno Empire conquered part of Libya, and had embassy in Turkey at a time, your tribe were living the life of hunters and gatherers? "its because of Arabs".
Why a non-Igbo tribe like Fulanis, yorubas, Edos had Cavalry Army and superior war armour, at a time when there was no single horse in Igbo land or you were fighting almost bare naked? "its because of Arab".
Why the Ancient beautiful architectural cities and building the north? " it is because of Arab".
Why the existence of fine Yoruba Architectural buildings and clothing, at a time there was nothing of such in Igbo land? "its because they copied from Arab, Hausa, or Fulani".
Why non-igbo tribes like Igalas were wearing shoes, at time igbos were wandering barefooted? "it must be because of Arab".
Thus displaying ur low self esteem for all to see grin

Empty braggadicious noise.

Ndigbo civilized your low IQ ancestors, We brought light to your cave dwelling primate progenies that couldn't go above wood carvings & there primitive way of life.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by bomb24: 2:47pm On Jan 18, 2022
detuner

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by bomb24: 3:01pm On Jan 18, 2022
Detuner
Bkayy

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Putindbutt: 3:06am On Jan 22, 2022
ThickSharon123:

Please, ignore these kind of people and continue with the thread Shiver99, you're doing a good job.

They are disturbed and need attention by all cost.
You're sick
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by KingOKON: 8:47am On Jan 22, 2022
boyfrank:

U hate igbos but u can't remove ur eyes from an Igbo woman. Pervert.

Retar-d....useless animal
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 22, 2022
bomb24:
Detuner

Bkayy

Detuner don run. See as the misinformed braggart was touting calvary as a sign of advancement over the Igbo.

what he failed to understand was that no southern civilization in history continuously had or maintained a calvary because it was very impractical.

The South is a rainforest region, heavy trees and jungles with marshy swamps and rivers constitute the terrain making horse warfare impracticable in those areas- something the Europeans found out during there invasion of Igbo land.As of 1806 when the British abolished slave trade and began colonialism of Nigeria to 1914 when the south was joined with the north,the British still had calvary units- infact the calvary was used to dominate the northern kingdoms swiftly but couldn't replicate the same in the jungles of the South.

even the Yoruba kingdom's ditched there calvary once the kept being pushed into the jungle belt first by dahomey and later by the Fulani jihadists.

Even in all his assumptions,he is yet to show us relics from his people's famed calvary- even pictures taken by the colonizing british

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by ThickSharon123(f): 9:59pm On Jan 22, 2022
grin
Putindbutt:

You're sick

grin grin grin
. grin grin grin
Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 5:55am On Feb 20, 2022
One interesting thing about Igbos of the past is that despite their large population, they strictly avoided hyper-urbanization.

This is something that has baffled some historians who first study Igbo settlement patterns. The fact that such a large population could live in a relatively small area, and still not be forced into hyper-urbanization was surprising. Igbo clans at the time prior to colonization preferred to split their populations into various easily accessible towns and villages than live in crowded settlements.

An extract from a Third-party outsider below (The first paragraph) :

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:12am On Feb 20, 2022
This was not by accident however. It was as a result of an ancient settlement pattern recorded by anthropologists as 'Village group' settlements.

Traditionally, very urbanized groups are typically mononuclear, with the king's house forming the center of a town which holds almost the entirety of the population.

However, most Igbo settlements are usually multinuclear and were typically like this:
1)Independent compounds cluster together to make one village.
2) Each village has it's own center where they deliberate on matters patterning to the village and trade.
3) Several villages cluster to make one 'village-group' or town.
4) The town center is where all villages can deliberate on matters patterning to the entire town and trade.

All these nuclei within each town are linked by well-kept and regularly cleaned roads and pathways.

From this, we can see that these small villages don't need each other to function, but will quickly unite together to achieve a singularity of purpose.

Diagram below:

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:18am On Feb 20, 2022
An extract of a European traveller describing a landscape of Igbo towns exhibiting the same unique settlement patterns below:

It was much harder for a foreigner to hide in one corner of Igboland and deliberate on how to lay siege to a town. Because the landscape could often seem like a continuous spread of cultivated farmland and settlements teeming with occupants who all spoke the same language and regularly traded and allied with each other.

It's no wonder that many foreigners prior to European colonization were discouraged from penetrating deep into this territory.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:32am On Feb 20, 2022
Even today, modern Igbo villages fight to retain their ancient physical identities.

A typical Igbo village or town then, would have houses or compounds well-spaced out from each other and separated by well-kept gardens. This is something, despite a century since the dawn of colonialism, that is still characteristic of Igbo villages today, although it has begun to change.
(Particularly, with some people disregarding the importance of greenery.)

Pictures of modern villages from across Igboland below:

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Lived In The Olden Days by Shiver99: 6:48am On Feb 20, 2022
The advent of colonialism forced Igbos into hyper-urbanization, as they were forced out of their country homes in their various villages into slum-like conditions for work.

This caused the increase of pockets of slums in Igboland. Something the area still hasn't recovered from, but are now trying to resolve.

As you can see, the slums below look more similar to towns of more historically heavily urbanized groups than traditionally less crowded Igbo settlements.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Inauguration Day: Podium Collapses In Kano / Kogi Guber: Gov. Adeleke Leads 120-Member Campaign Team For Melaye(pics) / 14-year Old Kano Child Bride, Faces Death Penalty For Allegedly Killing Husband

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.