Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

How Do I Eject This Tenant? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Eject This Tenant? (30595 Views)

How To I Eject This Tenant / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Hellonearth007: 10:00pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ishilove:
You should have just given him 6 months notice as stated by law, after which you have the right to eject him anyhow yagayaga. Now you're in court and you can't do anything to him until the case has been ruled on.

Ignorance if the law is not an excuse.some time don't always believe what u read online.Make out time and visit a lawyer or a court.
The law says 6 months for a yearly tenant.After that if he didn't leave u give him 7 days for recovery.if he still fail then the court will summon him . You have no right to eject anyone even if he is oweing u 200 yrs.
If u do it forcefully,u are going to pay the tenant damages. He will put up a claim that will make u faint over night.

If he claims he has 2m in his room that day of forceful eviction,guy u go pay am finish.

Let him follow the court proceedings till end

1 Like

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by lagosrd: 10:00pm On Mar 16, 2022
Don't do any silly thing behind the court of law since the case is already in court so as not to blame yourself. Get a good lawyer,

A civil matter involving a tenant cannot continue to linger on like this with adjournment. Take the matter to a higher court on other charges , get a sound lawyer, and pursue the case to Al logical conclusion. Insist you need speedy judgement in this case. She tenant cannot continue to use your house foe set3 years when you have not violated such tenants.

Let me tech you one dirty trick. Withdraw the case from court and take the tenant to judge funmi or file a criminal case on the tenant for trying to take over your property by using it and not paying you and even treating you after staying for 3 yrs without paying. Attempt treat to life and destroying your property. Pray that the court should not only eject him but also collect money for 2 and half years for you.

Lastly appear to the tenant in his dream

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Hellonearth007: 10:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
SocialJustice:
Bribe.

Do u know if the tenant have a good lawyer too that can run the PR too?

Everything is not gra gra.
Settle the differences with the tenant so he will leave in peace
Tenants have rights in Nigeria too dont forget.

Check if u had any issues with him cos I see this as a pay back
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Hellonearth007: 10:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
[quote author=Ishilove post=103799801]
After six months you should have tossed him out like a stubborn goat with the help of the Nigerian Police instead of taking him to court [/quote
Go read the new Police act. They don't involve in anything tenancy now.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by bolrew: 10:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
The first thing you should do...Is to withdraw the case from Court, then give her grace of 6Months to look for new apartment
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by abokikhalifa: 10:09pm On Mar 16, 2022
udejiga17:
Take him to Lagos state citizen mediation center… matter will be solve before you know it.. I have evacuated 3 of my tenant this way.. it absolutely free of charge .

Where is it located please ?
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by LADEMINUS: 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
On a calm day, build a wall in from of the doors and close up the windows with cement blocks from outside while filming the renovation. Then create a small pit latrine at the entrance. Let's see him/her try to destroy your property.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2022
True life story.......one landlord in Kano state had this exact problem after giving tenant quit notice for over 3yrs he didn't leave the tenant was busy bragging to neighbors that there's no way that gentle ote landlord would evict him.
The landlord apparently wasn't someone who liked trouble so most times the tenants take him for a fool cause of his quiet nature.
To cut the story short on a fateful Sunday morning he drove out of town to a forbidden place and came back with just 2 lepers embarassed took them into the said apartment and asked them to feel at home the first thing they did was to spit on all the furnitures and then they started touching everything in the house.....when tenant comot see wetin dey happen nobody tell am before he follow backyard door japa one single property he no carry grin

Naso tenant stand outside dey look landlord for upstairs Baba just dey read paper like say nothing dey happen cool the guy took the case to police when they came and saw lepers them no gree enter na phone dem dey use talk to landlord the man no even send anybody again
Bottom line you see those gentle people when they decide to fvck you up they usually have very wiçked ideas.
OP I suggest you get lepers and bring them to the aparte cheesy let them baptize the place if the tenant no run out naked make I shit pin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by abokikhalifa: 10:31pm On Mar 16, 2022
femijay8271:

Easy man... Though some or should I say most of these tenants are terrible but we must always think about one thing....which is one day we all gonna leave all this properties and die one day embarassed

So becouae we are going to die one day, I should not collect house rent from a tenant ? Take this kind set to UK or USA and see if you won't be thrown out on the street on the exact day tour rent expires.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by BigBashiru: 10:41pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ishilove:

After six months you should have tossed him out like a stubborn goat with the help of the Nigerian Police instead of taking him to court

If a tenant is given 6 months and the tenant sues for unlawful eviction the tenant gets to stay until the case is ruled on?
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by BigBashiru: 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2022
lagosrd:
Don't do any silly thing behind the court of law since the case is already in court so as not to blame yourself. Get a good lawyer,

A civil matter involving a tenant cannot continue to linger on like this with adjournment. Take the matter to a higher court on other charges , get a sound lawyer, and pursue the case to Al logical conclusion. Insist you need speedy judgement in this case. She tenant cannot continue to use your house foe set3 years when you have not violated such tenants.

Let me tech you one dirty trick. Withdraw the case from court and take the tenant to judge funmi or file a criminal case on the tenant for trying to take over your property by using it and not paying you and even treating you after staying for 3 yrs without paying. Attempt treat to life and destroying your property. Pray that the court should not only eject him but also collect money for 2 and half years for you.

Criminal cases still need evidence...
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by abokikhalifa: 10:46pm On Mar 16, 2022
lagosrd:

I love this, but who is judge funmi ?
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by ccollins(m): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ohyinyeah:
Please, can anyone highlight the procedure for ejecting a tenant from one's building in lagos?

The said tenant was owing over 1 years rent, not paying and not leaving.

Tenant was charged to court. The case has been ongoing for more than a year. Tenant and her lawyer do not show up in court on hearing date and have been adjourned for this reason each time...

Now running to almost 3 years in the flat without paying rent and without leaving....
contact me so I can help you bro
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by CaptainFM1: 10:48pm On Mar 16, 2022
Juicewrld27:
na exactly wetin i talk. One nigga dey talk *terrible advise*

It's a terrible advice. It's a civil case not criminal case. He just need to let the court handle it. Even if it's 5yrs the court make pronouncement, all the outstanding rent and bills will be paid up. If he likes, let him run away, the moment he's found, the court will arrange for all his properties to be auctioned to pay you up. And at which point, he may smell the inside of the prison for absconding with your money.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by kingsceemark(m): 10:50pm On Mar 16, 2022
Juicewrld27:
you for justs serve am quit notice gee am 6 months to get a new place. If he defualts you roger mc olumo boys,them go hijack am comot your house in 2 seconds

Yoruba Agboro
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by hilaryCU(m): 11:01pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ohyinyeah:
Really?! When please?

Yes, I sense that this is what is happening in your case. The lawyer is likely playing a double standard game. Change him immediately. It shouldn't take this long for court to evict him even if he is not coming to court.
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by ghiloman28(m): 11:09pm On Mar 16, 2022
Exactly angry
playtheblues:

The judge is supposed to rule in their absence since they've been duly served.
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Dharmie1036(m): 11:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
Wtf
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by chycco: 11:23pm On Mar 16, 2022
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by anyilalaz: 11:26pm On Mar 16, 2022
Oracleforce:

OP, you made a stupid mistake, why would carry your house give single lady? Single ladies, widows, divorced ladies are not reliable....avoid them like Ebola...
Lemme advise you, if you want to give your house out for rent, give it to those who have a reputation to protect.
The question is how will I know those who have a good reputation...?
That's another great assignment and if you cannot detect, give the job to reputable lawyers with good track records to do for you...

As for me, I will give them a form...and from what a tenant filled in his or her form, I can detect something from him or her and after that, I will ask the interested tenants to come with all those who want to live in my house...some will not show up while some will show up....from there you will know those who will not listen to your instruction....and you will ask all the family some inquisitive questions ....
By the time, they pass through different stages, those who are well-behaved will abide but those who are arrogant and brutish will not show up again...
In your interview with them, observe all kinds of little bad signs....and some links they have ....from the link, you could be able to predict some things about them...
And never drop your account details until you are well satisfied with the kind of family coming to live in your house....you will also verify some of the information he or she has filled in his bio-data form and also confirm about his or her behavior from her or his former landlord...
If you are not satisfied with all your finding...just tell the tenant that, he should look for a house elsewhere...after all, you haven't collected any money from them...
For you to have peace of mind with some tenants, you must be strategic...in your doing....don't let them occupy your house with friends and cronies from the same tribes, region, status, age group bracket, field, except a big and reputable company is standing as their guarantor....let them come with at least 2 big reputable guarantors
For my own house, I control it stressless because I have done what I needed to do before each tenant moves in...if any tenant wants to misbehave, I will first call his sibling and if there is no positive response, I will call the guarantor because the guarantor has signed a league with the landlord.....

Some landlords are just interested in the money Nd not in the person or family that will come and stay in the house...

To buttress what is said, I have a form I do give out before I rent my house for any tenant.

In box me for a sample.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by femiasaolu2014: 11:27pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ohyinyeah:
Please, can anyone highlight the procedure for ejecting a tenant from one's building in lagos?

Tenant was charged to court. The case has been ongoing for more than a year. Tenant and her lawyer do not show up in court on hearing date and have been adjourned for this reason each time...

Now running to almost 3 years in the flat without paying rent and without leaving....

I can bet with Buharis left testicle that the tenant is Igbo.

Am I correct?

They are the only people callous enough to be that brazen.

3 years and you refuse to pay rent?

Wawu!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by gassbee: 11:43pm On Mar 16, 2022
OhiOfIhima:

If you're actually in Lagos.... Tell ur lawyer to withdraw the case, then find us come, we go file a fresh motion on the matter. I promise you, whether the plaintiff get a counsel or not, you will get judgement with a vr short period of 2-3months highest.

Once we get the CTC, sheriff will throw him out immediately.
ctc means wat
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by gassbee: 11:50pm On Mar 16, 2022
Op dont take any rash decision, the tenant may b trying to cash out on you, be patient and allow d court evict him, if possible change and get a competent lawyer
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by ImperialCovfefe: 11:58pm On Mar 16, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

This can't happen in Lagos.

Residential rental property is not a good retirement plan, it can be frustrating when tenants don't pay

What are preferable alternatives?
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 17, 2022
one of my edo friends normally laugh whenever he hears that landlords in lagos are having a hard time ejecting defaulting tenants. he said at their family rental house in benin, if any tenant refuse to leave they quietly leave the person, very early the next morning two big pots would be ontop firewood cooking in his sitting room and two of the most devilish dwarfs he ever seen would be there beating drums and chanting evil spells. most defaulting tenants are so scared that they run and leave their property sef

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Goztino(m): 12:12am On Mar 17, 2022
Ohyinyeah:

Jeez shocked
3yrs without paying house rent?
How possible.
Our people just dey act anyhow.

They no born you well to stay just one month in Germany without paying rent.
Infact, in most cases, you don't need to pay.
Every month, the money leaves your account fiaaaam.
If money no dey your account, you also pay charges for not having money in your account before the deduction grin.
If you still no pay, the landlord will simply submit your name to Shofa...
That is the beginning of your nemesis.
It's just like someone submitting your name to Ogun or Amadioha shrine...
You pay the landlord, pay for Shofa, your debt record will be dented and will remain dented for years and you can't buy any property installmentally again.

Incase, you ignore Shofa, bigger problem.
That is when they will arrive with their truck and empty your house and still take you to court.
And remember, you still have to pay damages for all the months spent without paying.
Nobody gives you the privilege to pay house rent yearly.
No.

You pay monthly, and if you do anyhow, you see anyhow.
The kind of leniency we enjoy in Nigeria is out of this world

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by ordovicianonly(f): 12:45am On Mar 17, 2022
BarrSly:
Which kind of lawyer do you have sef

It’s simple. As long as he owes you rent you don’t have to give him the 6 months notice rather 7 days notice of owners intention to recover premises thereafter you charge him to court.

Now this is the trick. In a Tenancy Recovery matter where the defendant tries to play smart and not come to court, all your lawyer has to do is apply for default/summary judgement as from all indications the tenants are not ready to appear for the matter. (25 days tops the tenant is out).

Where are you situated?

Hi please kindly drop your contact
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Missyajoke(f): 1:14am On Mar 17, 2022
zimdante:

Someone bought 123m naira dublex for a 19 year old side chick yet you are here planning to eject your fellow man for 1year Dept, you will not make haven grin

shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Missyajoke(f): 1:20am On Mar 17, 2022
gassbee:
Op dont take any rash decision, the tenant may b trying to cash out on you, be patient and allow d court evict him, if possible change and get a competent lawyer

After 3 years he should remain patient nawa ohh shocked shocked
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by Nobody: 1:35am On Mar 17, 2022
Sorry, so incase anyone else is going through this predicament with defaulting Tenants, do these:
- Serve a notice to quit (6 months if a yearly Tenant, 3 months if a 6-monthly Tenant).
- At expiration, serve 7 days notice to repossess property.
- At expiration, take evidence and head to a court and file for eviction, with the following prayers:
1. All rents owed plus interest at a certain percentage.
2. All future rents through the duration of the court process plus interest at a certain percentage.
3. Accelerated hearing, with or without the Tenant or their representative.
4. All legal fee incurred by you during the process.
5. A Court's garnishee to take from the tenant to pay you, either by auctioning their properties or access their Bank throughout Nigeria via BVN.
6. Claim All claimable.

- Then, do some PR to the Court's Clerk to push your file up, and prepare a Court's Bailiff early enough.
- Secure the Court's order to access the apartment and confiscate the tenants belongings, by the Court's Bailiff and accompanied by a Police Office.

I bet you, all your monies would be recovered, to the last kobo, but PLEASE DO NOT take laws into your hands.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by driand(m): 4:37am On Mar 17, 2022
udejiga17:
Take him to Lagos state citizen mediation center… matter will be solve before you know it.. I have evacuated 3 of my tenant this way.. it absolutely free of charge .
where is that?
Re: How Do I Eject This Tenant? by t2luv1: 4:56am On Mar 17, 2022
Hellonearth007:

Do u know if the tenant have a good lawyer too that can run the PR too?

Everything is not gra gra.
Settle the differences with the tenant so he will leave in peace
Tenants have rights in Nigeria too dont forget.

Check if u had any issues with him cos I see this as a pay back

Only in a shit hole country will one negotiate with a tenant occupying a place with no valid lease agreement in effect, Trust me I have an idea what this guy is going through from personal experience. You hired a Lawyer once they know you don't reside in that country then the piece of Sh*t lawyer gets compromised. They bribe the lawyer with some pittance amount of money. A lawyer once told me the eviction process takes up to 3 years in that country. Imagine 3 years to evict a tenant with 2 years lapse on an expired lease agreement. Don't even think of going to the Police, those are the pits of the world useless like a dead nail. In a sane country once your lease has expired guess what you have lost all privilege to even enter the property without the property owner's consent. Kindly explain to me what right a tenant has once the lease agreement has expired. Like I said earlier only in a sh*t hole country. Upon expiration of your lease, the next stop is the county Sheriff that will show up to execute the eviction 2 weeks after the lease has expired.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Architectural Designs / Building Under Construction Collapses In Ilorin (Photos, Video) / Building Behind Zenith Bank In Lekki Currently On Fire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.