Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga (7121 Views)

Setting Straight The Record On Peter Obi And Seun Kuti: Reno Omokri / Presidential Tribunal: Atiku, PDP Putting Lives Of Judges In Danger - Buhari Med / See How Aisha Buhari Smiled While Putting Ballot Paper Into The Presidential Box (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:15pm On Jul 27, 2021
Nigerian statistics is obviously questionable but I don't think there is any challenge to the Ijaws on the position as the third largest Ethnicity in Southern Nigeria.

Many people cite not seeing much of Ijaw presence in other cities as a means of arguing that Ijaws are less populated, this assertion however is a complete fallacy as Ijaw is undeniably populous.

I will be backing up my claims with facts and common sense. You will not see Ijaws in major cities becuase of the traditional occupation of the Ijaws which is fishing and in places where we abound it is usually a cluster.

Ijaws are more likely to to be found in coastal areas and as such the Niger Delta interior had always been our native land.

Fact One: Bayelsa state is a predominately Ijaw State is over 2.5 Million while 2006 census puts it at 1.7 million I hope you know that despite the inaccuracy of Nigerian census we also grow.

2. Ijaws constitute the coastal areas of Rivers state which constitutes about 39% of Rivers putting Rivers state at approximately 6 million today that puts Ijaws in Rivers at over 2 million.

3. The Ijaws in Delta State: the population of Delta state shall be running at about another 6 million, let's say the Ijaws Chuns out another 2 million people over there.

This 3 states alone could arguably put Ijaws at about 6.5 million in just 3 states, tell me another tribe in Nigeria apart from Igbo, Hausa, Fulani and Yoruba coming anywhere close to the above verifiable data.

Then add the Ijaws in Edo State, with Ondo, with Lagos, there is no verifiable data in these Areas as these states especially Lagos and Ondo are trying too hard to Yorubanize the Ijaws in these areas.

Should a realistic census be conducted in Nigeria indicating tribes the Ijaws could be well over 17 million.

Why do you think the Ijaws inflate our population, when last did we hold crucial role in the census bureau, Goodluck Jonathan was not the president at 2006 when the last census was held rather it was the Ijaw hating Obasanjo so how could we have manipulated our data, be that as it may, there is also no proof of everyone else's actual population so Ijaws knows exactly how our population is distributed.

2 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by SlayerForever: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2021
There is a saying that goes thus : foolishness makes one very bold.

On your own you calculated 6.5 million. And still in your conclusion you somehow jumped to 17 million. Are you normal at all?

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by heniford2: 5:26pm On Jul 27, 2021
We deltans are not ijaw we have nothing to do with ijaw

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

On your own you calculated 6.5 million. And still in your conclusion you somehow jumped to 17 million. Are you normal at all?
I added 3 Ijaw state, giving the lowest possible figure, without including three other states where Ijaws are indigenous, namely Ondo, Lagos and Edo, still the Ijaws spread out of Nigeria, I gave a unrealistic overhead value and you should blame that on Nigeria's erroneous statistics which I don't trust, I have to first solidify our stand as the third ethnic group in Southern Nigeria, with factual evidence then we can go the rest on estimated values, note I only accounted for three states.

1 Like

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2021
heniford2:
Speak for yourself, Ijaws are majority in Delta and Rivers, then Bayelsa is a predominantly Ijaw state,

5 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Amarabae(f): 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ijaws are not up to 7million,
You guys are not up to 1 million in Delta,
Around 2.5million in Bayelsa and 2million in Rivers,
There are no Ijaws in Ondo, Ondo is South West Yoruba land, Ijaw begins and ends in South South
Fly fly dearie

25 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2021
Amarabae:
There are no Ijaws in Ondo, Ondo is South West Yoruba land, Ijaw begins and ends in South South
Fly fly dearie
Ijaws are over 3 million in Bayelsa, Over 2 million In Delta, over 2 million in Rivers, over 1 million in Ondo, over 1 million in Edo, over 1 million in Lagos, and more

4 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Jerryherd: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ijaw isn't a tribe or an ethnic group, it's a loose word used for coastal people around Nigerian coast

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by iamuyiekpen(m): 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ijaws are strangers in Edo and have never been considered as natives and will never be considered as one. This whole Ijaw population is a lie from the pit of hell.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2021
Jerryherd:
Ijaw isn't a tribe or an ethnic group, it's a loose word used for coastal people around Nigerian coast
Ijaws are a tribe and not any way of identifying coastal people so you are saying Lagos is an Ijaw state then, ofcourse it is an Ijaw state

1 Like

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by SonofLothbrok: 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

I added 3 Ijaw state, giving the lowest possible figure, without including three other states where Ijaws are indigenous, namely Ondo, Lagos and Edo, still the Ijaws spread out of Nigeria, I gave a unrealistic overhead value and you should blame that on Nigeria's erroneous statistics which I don't trust, I have to first solidify our stand as the third ethnic group in Southern Nigeria, with factual evidence then we can go the rest on estimated values, note I only accounted for three states.

3rd largest what? grin

Ijaws are not more than 2 million people.
Ijaws are not even the largest ethnic groups in those state you mentioned.
Ijaws can only be found in bayelsa state and just a small number of them in few states.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:35pm On Jul 27, 2021
iamuyiekpen:
Ijaws are strangers in Edo and have never been considered as natives and will never be considered as one. This whole Ijaw population is a lie from the pit of hell.
The day we come for our people in Edo, do it well to tell them who they are, like I had told you no inch of Ijaw land in will be ceded to Edo, either we are all in Niger Delta Republic or Izon Republic, better mind your territory.

2 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2021
SonofLothbrok:

3rd largest what? grin

Ijaws are not more than 2 million people.
Ijaws are not even the largest ethnic groups in those state you mentioned.
Ijaws can only be found in bayelsa state and just a small number of them in few states.
Why not come with verifiable fact like I did to state our position as the third largest ethnic nationality in Southern Nigeria
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Jerryherd: 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

Ijaws are a tribe and not any way of identifying coastal people so you are saying Lagos is an Ijaw state then, ofcourse it is an Ijaw state

Tribe means a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Ethnicity means the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition

Ijaw people (also known by the subgroups "Ijo" or "Izon"wink are people in Niger Delta in Nigeria, inhabiting regions of the states of Bayelsa (their original Homeland), Delta, Edo, Ondo, and Rivers state. Many are found as migrant fishermen in camps as far west as Sierra Leone and as far east as Gabon. Population figures for the Ijaws vary greatly,15 million .They have long lived in locations near many sea trade routes, and they were well connected to other areas by trade as early as the 15th century.

Ijaws are not Tribe or Ethnic group, they don't share language or culture, they are very different and distinct fishermen that migrated to Niger Delta

Ijaw is not a tribe or an ethnic group

Arewa is not a tribe or an ethnic group

Niger Delta is not a tribe or an Ethnic group

There is absolutely nothing called middle belt or North Central in Geography

Nothing like "Hausa/Fulanis" as a tribe or ethnicity

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by heniford2: 5:38pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

Speak for yourself, Ijaws are majority in Delta and Rivers, then Bayelsa is a predominantly Ijaw state,
i spit out we can never be useless ijaw know this and have peace stop putting us with useless tribe we are Delta igbos we know nothing of ijaw in our blood

1 Like

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:40pm On Jul 27, 2021
heniford2:
i spit out we can never be useless ijaw
Who are "we", please speak for yourself, if you are not Ijaw, you are not Ijaw, but the Ijaws are a majority in Delta state, you just can't change that fact

1 Like

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by heniford2: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

Who are "we", please speak for yourself, if you are not Ijaw, you are not Ijaw, but the Ijaws are a majority in Delta state, you just can't change that fact
we Already told you guys when some of your useless people came to our community we told you guys we nobi ijaw una no wan hear abi

2 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by urbobo20(m): 5:46pm On Jul 27, 2021
Please name the local government area where the Ijaws are indigenous in Lagos State in ondo state , the ijaw's are found in only ese odo local government y

6 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Omoluabi1stborn: 5:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:
Nigerian statistics is obviously questionable but I don't think there is any challenge to the Ijaws on the position as the third largest Ethnicity in Southern Nigeria.

Many people cite not seeing much of Ijaw presence in other cities as a means of arguing that Ijaws are less populated, this assertion however is a complete fallacy as Ijaw is undeniably populous.

I will be backing up my claims with facts and common sense. You will not see Ijaws in major cities becuase of the traditional occupation of the Ijaws which is fishing and in places where we abound it is usually a cluster.

Ijaws are more likely to to be found in coastal areas and as such the Niger Delta interior had always been our native land.

Fact One: Bayelsa state is a predominately Ijaw State is over 2.5 Million while 2006 census puts it at 1.7 million I hope you know that despite the inaccuracy of Nigerian census we also grow.

2. Ijaws constitute the coastal areas of Rivers state which constitutes about 39% of Rivers putting Rivers state at approximately 6 million today that puts Ijaws in Rivers at over 2 million.

3. The Ijaws in Delta State: the population of Delta state shall be running at about another 6 million, let's say the Ijaws Chuns out another 2 million people over there.

This 3 states alone could arguably put Ijaws at about 6.5 million in just 3 states, tell me another tribe in Nigeria apart from Igbo, Hausa, Fulani and Yoruba coming anywhere close to the above verifiable data.

Then add the Ijaws in Edo State, with Ondo, with Lagos, there is no verifiable data in these Areas as these states especially Lagos and Ondo are trying too hard to Yorubanize the Ijaws in these areas.

Should a realistic census be conducted in Nigeria indicating tribes the Ijaws could be well over 17 million.

Why do you think the Ijaws inflate our population, when last did we hold crucial role in the census bureau, Goodluck Jonathan was not the president at 2006 when the last census was held rather it was the Ijaw hating Obasanjo so how could we have manipulated our data, be that as it may, there is also no proof of everyone else's actual population so Ijaws knows exactly how our population is distributed.

Challenge accepted.

I jaws in Ondo and Edo are not more than 500k combined.

I jaws in bayelsa are not more than 3M

Now that 3.5M

Can you list the local government dominated by ijaws in both Rivers and Delta?

Let's check the population

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ariani: 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ijaw is the 7th ethnic group in Nigeria by population.

4th is Tiv, 5th is Ibibio, Kanuri is 6th.
CIA fact book supports this and pre Nigerian independence ethnic census in Nigeria agrees too.
If we separate Hausa from Fulani, then Ijaw becomes pushed back to 8th in the ranking.

https://www.nairaland.com/5494870/tiv-ibibio-joint-4th-most

6 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Jerryherd: 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
urbobo20:
Please name the local government area where the Ijaws are indigenous in Lagos State

Lagos isn't Niger Delta so you don't have Ijaws there, lagosians are Atlantic Ocean fishermen and traders

1 Like

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Omoluabi1stborn: 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2021
urbobo20:
Please name the local government area where the Ijaws are indigenous in Lagos State in ondo state , the ijaw's are found in only ese odo local government y

Even total population of Ese odo local government is not more than 500k
And Yoruba's are the majority

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ariani: 5:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
See the ethnic census of NIGERIA in 1952. Ijaw was not in the top 5.
Ijaw is like 8th ranked.

1.Hausa
2.Ibo
3.Yoruba
4. Fulani
5.Kanuri
6. Tiv
7.Ibibio
8. IJaw (still debatable, as there are bigger groups like Nupe, etc)

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Challenge accepted.

I jaws in Ondo and Edo are not more than 500k combined.

I jaws in bayelsa are not more than 3M

Now that 3.5M

Can you list the local government dominated by ijaws in both Rivers and Delta?

Let's check the population
Is local government now the primary means of population demographia, anyway your trying to play down in Ijaw population changes nothing, I had given you a straight statistic very simplistic, keep trying to play it down the day that it will be clear it will be clear.
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Captain8(m): 5:57pm On Jul 27, 2021
SlayerForever:

do you read it well?
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Captain8(m): 5:59pm On Jul 27, 2021
heniford2:
what jargons are you talking na..?.. which one is we delta again? abi u dey find mouth..? attention seeker
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Ebitimi44: 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ariani:
See the ethnic census of NIGERIA in 1952. Ijaw was not in the top 5.
Ijaw is like 8th ranked.

1.Hausa
2.Ibo
3.Yoruba
4. Fulani
5.Kanuri
6. Tiv
7.Ibibio
8. IJaw (still debatable, as there are bigger groups like Nupe, etc)
How does 1952 reflect Reality on ground, in 1952 the Eastern region a predominantly Ibo Region and mind you that was the rise of the Igbos when most ethnic Nationalities of the East are mistaken as Igbos, I never doubt the close ties between Igbos and Ijaws but things like these are why Ijaws wants a distinct nationality of Niger Delta because should it be before most of the Izon territories could be erroneously be termed Ibo

2 Likes

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Captain8(m): 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

thank you my brother..... am also from delta state.... Ijaws hold 35% as population in delta..... we are the largest ethnicity in delta....

also remember Ijaws are in akwa ibom.... recent nddc protest akwa ibom Ijaws also blocked uyo...
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Captain8(m): 6:04pm On Jul 27, 2021
Amarabae:
Fly fly dearie
try and get sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Captain8(m): 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2021
Jerryherd:
how? explain why?
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by SlayerForever: 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

No be small thing.
Re: Putting Straight The Ijaw Population Saga by Omoluabi1stborn: 6:07pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebitimi44:

Is local government now the primary means of population demographia, anyway your trying to play down in Ijaw population changes nothing, I had given you a straight statistic very simplistic, keep trying to play it down the day that it will be clear it will be clear.
Opobo, - 214,700
Bonny, - 302,000
Port Harcourt (South)
, Asari-Toru - 308, 600
, Degema, - 350,000
Akuku-Toru - 308,800
Abua-Odual - 396,800
, Okirika, - 312, 300
Andoni, - 306,200
Ogu-Bolo - 105, 800

Total = 2,605,200
Bayelsa population = 2,278,000

Total = 4,883,000

NB I didn't add I jaws in Port hacourt, cos it will be difficult to ascertain

Cc:
Amarabae

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Uyo, Airport Project To Be Ready May20th 2023 New Photos / Jakumu English Nonsense. You Do Not Know How To Write English.(junk English) / Okupe Didnt Label Buhari As Boko-haram Sponsor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.