Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,027 members, 7,835,485 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

How I Became An Atheist. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How I Became An Atheist. (8272 Views)

Why I Became An Atheist / Shiloh: I Became A Minister After Bishop Oyedepo Prayed For Me - Betta Edu / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:44am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
You didnt say anything that contradicts my thoughts, you only created a topic that never existed on this thread.

I can remember saying i dont believe in god because i have not seen him.

With the highlighted in mind!

Please can you tell me your own definition of ATHEISM? undecided
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by shadeyinka(m): 7:47am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
It’s no surprise that I am an atheist, but one thing people don’t know about me is that I was a Christian for 28years. Yes 28years.

I was not just a Christian, I had full membership in my church and was a member of the choir. I was born into a Christian home, we had morning and evening devotions everyday as a child. My dad personally tried indoctrinating us a lot, we read the Bible every single day and then he explains but seriously even as a child a lot of the stories didn’t add up but I was scared that I was being blasphemous.
I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroying farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.
As time goes on, I joined the choir, I learn drums and keyboard, I sang choir ministrations and even wrote songs for my church choir. All these while, it wasn’t clear, I was just scared to come out fully.

I got admitted into the university to study biochemistry. Being someone that is very inquisitive, I started asking so many questions in respect to the relationship between living organisms. After having background knowledge in genetics, molecular biology and biological metabolism, it was clear that every living thing are the same basically. At this point, I didn’t even understand the theory of evolution properly but I had seen the a fairly clear picture. I had to go back and then study the theory of evolution properly (took weeks), because the impression I had from secondary school was that an ape turned into human. Our biology teachers, just like every other biology teachers in Nigerian schools, were so bad at teaching the theory of evolution. Seems like a lot of them didn’t even understand it.

Fast forward, I graduated, I still believed god existed. since after I properly studied the theory of evolution, I started holding the notion that God presided over evolution and the Bible is somehow consistent with the theory of evolution. This idea was born out of the sheer fear of not wanting to sound blasphemous to my beloved ones. After I graduated, I started reading wide, I didn’t like physics in school but I started reading physics (specifically quantum and astrophysics), I discovered about Big Bang theory, theory of relativity, string theory etc, it took a lot of time before I could grasp them but when I did, it became clearer that the Bible is not consistent with anything in reality.

It was difficult for me to accept this truth because I didn’t want to be seen as a blasphemer, not until I had the opportunity to run my masters degree abroad in clinical biochemistry. I met with lot of renown and brilliant people in the field of biochemistry. They were realistic in their beliefs and will not believe anything unless you can back it with evidence. I became bolder with time, we shared ideas as I studied. Th society gives everyone liberty and I was very free to come out clean with my realistic traits. A lot of my lecturers didn’t believe in god. I became a full fledged atheist in Europe by the time I finished my program.

Today, I have done several works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).
So good you now have all the answers and can throw out the truths you don't comprehend.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 7:47am On Jul 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

With the highlighted in mind!

Please can you tell me your own definition of ATHEISM? undecided
I dont think I am ready to move from pillar to post with you.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Pelecius: 7:51am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
I don’t know, just tell me how creation incorporates speciation and adaptation.

I want to learn that from a guru.
You don't know, but you accept it? I taught you became what you wanted all along because you claim not to see evidence for God. Wow!

There's no need to use sarcastic epithet. I'll just give a short summary. Study and review literature from creation journals to get technical expatiation of the subject.
Since the creation model rest on various (short but inexhaustible) statements from the Bible, hence, adaptation and speciation were used to explain the rapid diversification of life forms from the few which disembarked on the ark. And rapid speciation is still being observed even when most organisms have "specialized" by loosing much genetic information from a more general ancestor.
The "be fruitful and multiply..." Command in Genesis is also observed to have limits since it explained that organisms are to reproduce according to their kinds. But since what is being observed is that organisms loose genetic information through speciation, it follows that the ancestors (original created kind) have enough genetic makeup which allows for variation within itself, so as to adapt to various environmental pressure.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 7:53am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

You don't know, but you accept it? I taught you became what you wanted all along because you claim not to see evidence for God. Wow!

There's no need to use sarcastic epithet. I'll just give a short summary. Study and review literature from creation journals to get technical expatiation of the subject.
Since the creation model rest on various (short but inexhaustible) statements from the Bible, hence, adaptation and speciation were used to explain the rapid diversification of life forms from the few which disembarked on the ark. And rapid speciation is still being observed even when most organisms have "specialized" by loosing much genetic information from a more general ancestor.
The "be fruitful and multiply..." Command in Genesis is also observed to have limits since it explained that organisms are to reproduce according to their kinds. But since what is being observed is that organisms loose genetic information through speciation, it follows that the ancestors (original created kind) have enough genetic makeup which allows for variation within itself, so as to adapt to various environmental pressure.
cheesy ok

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Pelecius: 8:01am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
Provide any evidence aside the Bible That Jesus existed, I will change my mind
Really? Will you truly change your mind or apply gymnastics to what I'll provide so as to hold on to your atheistic faith?

But "aside the Bible..." Is the atheist ploy and tactic of separating the theist from his source of authority. It's like saying that one should explain Newtonian Physics without referencing the work of classic scientists. Or evolution without referencing the work of Darwin. It's futile since info are not brought out of vacuum. But I'll go ahead to play your game anyway

Many Historians, through whose works we know some ancient historical figures mentioned Jesus in their work. The chief I'll mention are
1. Tacitus
2. Josephus

I'll await the gymnastics
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by 2dominate: 8:05am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch post=104160666:
You think I haven’t read the Quran
?

I have gone as far as reading the Hindu Dharma-shastra, Book of Mormon, Midrash and even the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

None is consistent with reality. Of all, the Hindu Dharma-shastra and Buddhist Sutras is closest to reality but still full of fictions
What was not satisfactory about this.
Or better still just anyone of your objections
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Pelecius: 8:06am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
cheesy ok
Of course, you probably weren't aware of (though a highly simplified version of) the fact that Scientists who accept the word of God (and even through which modern science was built upon) already explained such concepts. But even if you knew, you probably weren't interested as Kepler explained and faulted your arguments earlier.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:15am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

Of course, you probably weren't aware of (though a highly simplified version of) the fact that Scientists who accept the word of God (and even through which modern science was built upon) already explained such concepts. But even if you knew, you probably weren't interested as Kepler explained and faulted your arguments earlier.
Cant you see that I am no longer interested in debating your kindergarten logic and scoliotic opinions.

The cheetah has nothing to prove to a group of dogs in a race. We have applied the theory of evolution in all fields of biological sciences, there is no point proving anything to someone that doesn't understand simple terms like speciation and adaptation.
Whatever rocks your boat is ok by me,

3 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 8:16am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

Really? Will you truly change your mind or apply gymnastics to what I'll provide so as to hold on to your atheistic faith?

But "aside the Bible..." Is the atheist ploy and tactic of separating the theist from his source of authority. It's like saying that one should explain Newtonian Physics without referencing the work of classic scientists. Or evolution without referencing the work of Darwin. It's futile since info are not brought out of vacuum. But I'll go ahead to play your game anyway

Many Historians, through whose works we know some ancient historical figures mentioned Jesus in their work. The chief I'll mention are
1. Tacitus
2. Josephus

great, I totally agree with you
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:

I dont think I am ready to move from pillar to post with you.

Of course you can't defend this thread in face of real scrutiny!

So keep it to yourself nobody cares about how you became whether a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Judaist, Atheist or Agnostic.
If you want to preach you need to be fully competent and completely equipped to handle scrutiny! wink smiley
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:14am On Jul 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Of course you can't defend this thread in face of real scrutiny!

So keep it to yourself nobody cares about how you became whether a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Judaist, Atheist or Agnostic.
If you want to preach you need to be fully competent and completely equipped to handle scrutiny! wink smiley
I didn’t create the thread to answer to your questions. I created it to let you know how I became an atheist.

I am not here to take questions that are off point. Hope you get it?

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Pelecius: 9:16am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
Cant you see that I am no longer interested in debating your kindergarten logic and scoliotic opinions.

The cheetah has nothing to prove to a group of dogs in a race. We have applied the theory of evolution in all fields of biological sciences, there is no point proving anything to someone that doesn't understand simple terms like speciation and adaptation.
Whatever rocks your boat is ok by me,
Smiles
Most times, it ends this way.
I asked simple questions, you evaded them. Turned to me to provide argument for my case, I did and advised that you get more info. You weren't interested in trying to even check but now resorted to the commonly used last tactic - "you deny evolution because you don't understand it" and the "this is scientist talk and not ignorant folk's discussion" argument.
And then the elephant hurling "Nothing makes sense in biology outside evolution", attributed to Theodosius Dobzhansky, one of the leading evolutionists of the last century.

Like I repeatedly asked, how do we get higher life forms from simpler ones through adaptation and speciation? When we know that the difference between higher life forms is the information contained in their genome. And we know that adaptation and speciation are mostly caused by loss of information, so how can evolution (molecules to man) be explained through adaptation and speciation?

No evolutionist have an answer. But they'll rather use subtle adhominem "you don't understand evolution" when confronted to provide evidence

Do enjoy yourself
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:20am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
I didn’t create the thread to answer to your questions. I created it to let you know how I became an atheist.

I am not here to take questions that are off point. Hope you get it?

Oh sorry! embarassed

You just woke up one beautiful morning and all you thought is come on social media where millions can read your story only to tell them How you became an atheist and you feel you won't answer thought provoking questions to help you know that you're just like every other person that makes personal decisions on what appeals to them!

OK i've heard you Mr Atheist! smiley
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:20am On Jul 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Oh sorry! embarassed

You just woke up one beautiful morning and all you thought is come on social media where millions can read your story only to tell them How you became an atheist and you feel you won't answer thought provoking questions to help you know that you're just like every other person that makes personal decisions on what appeals to them!

OK i've heard you Mr Atheist! smiley
Thanks for your understanding

2 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Pelecius: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
great, I totally agree with you
Lol grin grin grin

It's just funny that wannabe atheists won't be truthful to accept the fact that it takes great faith for them to accept what the belief.

At least, anyone seeing this will notice the "evolution" grin of wannabe atheists as they ask for proofs and then just dismiss it when presented with one.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

Smiles
Most times, it ends this way.
I asked simple questions, you evaded them. Turned to me to provide argument for my case, I did and advised that you get more info. You weren't interested in trying to even check but now resorted to the commonly used last tactic - "you deny evolution because you don't understand it" and the "this is scientist talk and not ignorant folk's discussion" argument.
And then the elephant hurling "Nothing makes sense in biology outside evolution", attributed to Theodosius Dobzhansky, one of the leading evolutionists of the last century.

Like I repeatedly asked, how do we get higher life forms from simpler ones through adaptation and speciation? When we know that the difference between higher life forms is the information contained in their genome. And we know that adaptation and speciation are mostly caused by loss of information, so how can evolution (molecules to man) be explained through adaptation and speciation?

No evolutionist have an answer. But they'll rather use subtle adhominem "you don't understand evolution" when confronted to provide evidence

Do enjoy yourself
Thanks for your understanding grin
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

Lol grin grin grin

It's just funny that wannabe atheists won't be truthful to accept the fact that it takes great faith for them to accept what the belief.

At least, anyone seeing this will notice the "evolution" grin of wannabe atheists as they ask for proofs and then just dismiss it when presented with one.
you are absolutely correct
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by LordReed(m): 9:30am On Jul 28, 2021
keppler:

I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god[b] changing his mind[/b] and even regretting his decisions
Again, this is false equivocation. I don't know anyone who understands language (English in this case) who would agree that CHANGING ONE'S MIND is the same thing as CHANGING ONESELF. I don't need to say much on this again but this is another reason you gave but is invalid to begin with.

When someone says "you have changed" are they saying you have become an entirely different type of being or that you have changed your mind/behaviour on certain things?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by LordReed(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

"a pursuit or interest (with system and rythym I add) followed with great devotion."

Hello did you practice your bathing and brushing your teeth religion this morning? Are you practicing your wearing clothes religion today or is unclothedness your religion? Are you gonna practice your go to work religion today or is idleness your brand of religion? So many religions you practice my dear man! All those gods must be pleased! LMFAO!

4 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by LordReed(m): 9:37am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

Like I said, the first statement is a statement of faith. It's an atheist creed.

It is not. Jesus' existence is irrelevant, what is relevant is proving all the supernatural attributes.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by LordReed(m): 9:42am On Jul 28, 2021
Pelecius:

1. Tacitus
2. Josephus

Mentioning Jesus is not not the same as proof of his existence (note I do not doubt that he existed). Tactius and Josephus mention Jesus because they were speaking about Christians, it's like speaking of Buddhists and mention Buddha, it doesn't mean Buddha is still alive somewhere or that he has/had supernatural powers.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 9:47am On Jul 28, 2021
LordReed:

Mentioning Jesus is not not the same as proof of his existence (note I do not doubt that he existed). Tactius and Josephus mention Jesus because they were speaking about Christians, it's like speaking of Buddhists and mention Buddha, it doesn't mean Buddha is still alive somewhere or that he has/had supernatural powers.

Snakeman, he was establishing the Lord as an historical figure, not as being alive or having supernatural powers. Stop jumping like he just bought Bobo for you.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2021
LordReed:

It is not. Jesus' existence is irrelevant, what is relevant is proving all the supernatural attributes.

Like me proving that you didn't eat yesterday. undecided
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 9:55am On Jul 28, 2021
LordReed:

When someone says "you have changed" are they saying you have become an entirely different type of being or that you have changed your mind/behaviour on certain things?

The problem is probably you needing to understand the meaning and context of "God never changes" i.e. the same for ever.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 10:26am On Jul 28, 2021
Image123:

Like me proving that you didn't eat yesterday. undecided
I think it makes sense to you why atheists are not meant to prove your god doesn’t exist
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Enceladus(m): 10:29am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
you are having a lot of half baked opinions.
A method of measuring the speed of light is to measure the time needed for light to travel to a mirror at a known distance and back. Have you ever tried it and got a different figure?

You don't understand what you are talking about obviously. Your above statement proves that. If you can't see why the above method and relativity can't work together I have nothing more to say. Bye friend.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 10:33am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
I think it makes sense to you why atheists are not meant to prove your god doesn’t exist

Is it impossible for me to prove that you didn't eat yesterday? Call your cohort and thread carefully, don't flunk it yet again.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 10:40am On Jul 28, 2021
Image123:

Is it impossible for me to prove that you didn't eat yesterday? Call your cohort and thread carefully, don't flunk it yet again.
Unless your god really exist and he does magic to reveal it to you, you cannot prove that I didn’t eat yesterday from where you are currently.
You cannot prove that I eat everyday, there is to prove that yesterday isn’t one of those days that I don’t eat for some reasons.

Philosophy and logic should be taken more seriously in Nigerian schools, seems a lot of you don’t even know the definition for proofs and evidence.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 11:03am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
Unless your god really exist and he does magic to reveal it to you, you cannot prove that I didn’t eat yesterday from where you are currently.
You cannot prove that I eat everyday, there is to prove that yesterday isn’t one of those days that I don’t eat for some reasons.

Philosophy and logic should be taken more seriously in Nigerian schools, seems a lot of you don’t even know the definition for proofs and evidence.

Good boy. From your submission, it is possible for me to prove that you didn't eat yesterday given some conditions. Although you short sightedly limited it to the supernatural. i can prove that you didn't eat yesterday if you told me so. i can also prove it if i had you monitored.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Workch: 11:15am On Jul 28, 2021
Image123:

Good boy. From your submission, it is possible for me to prove that you didn't eat yesterday given some conditions. Although you short sightedly limited it to the supernatural. i can prove that you didn't eat yesterday if you told me so. i can also prove it if i had you monitored.
Ok prove that I didn’t eat yesterday.

How do we make funny people in Nigeria?

Prove it that I didn’t eat yesterday. I will wait
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 11:20am On Jul 28, 2021
Workch:
Ok prove that I didn’t eat yesterday.

How do we make funny people in Nigeria?

Prove it that I didn’t eat yesterday. I will wait

Oh my good God? What class are you? You are missing the point! i didn't come to prove that you didn't eat yesterday. Call your cohort please, he should understand better. Though as usual, he'd rather you remain the fool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ma.st.ur.bat.io.n Is Not A Sin Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Says? Full Transcript! / Understanding The Mystery And Meaning Of Masturbation / Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.